mtbr member

First Complete Bike Purchase in 30 years

Being the anal type, I typically buy frame-only and build my bikes up with exactly what I want/what fits. Just landed an Intense Primer (Expert Build). Love the bike- it kills the Niner Rip9 it is replacing. Build quality of the frame is at a higher level. Some thoughts on the build, which seems pretty typical today (XT level):
    • Bar width is actually laughable.
    • 50mm stem is too shoert for my purposes. A frame with this kind of climbing ability should not force you into a leaning-back position on steeps. 70/80 on a large would be a much more middle ground choice.
    • XT brakes are okay but completely on/off. If you hate modulation, you will love these.
    • Rear brake line path on frame aligned inboard, brake itself outboard. Hard S bend to make the transition. Come on Intense!
    • Internal routing with hydraulics is, just, um, NO! You only put them through one tube anyway. This is a tool, not a decoration.
    • Narrow rims on a frame that can fit 2.4 on a 40mm rim. Sheesh. They will be on Ebay shortly.
    • Dropper included- Yeah!
    • Color options were Gray/Neon Yellow or completely monochrome. (Sigh) I know that every 20-something hates any sort of color (apparently) but couldn't the color option be a little less fugly?
    • Too-heavy Raceface crank when the XT probably costs less anyway.
    • NN tires a good choice- maybe not aggressive enough for some but roll really well and handled Moab with aplomb.

Overall pretty dang happy but a PITA to swap-in my Hope brakes and some significant $$$ to build an appropriate wheelset. FYI: Last whole bike purchase- Cannondale MT500.

mtbr member
    Have you tried riding with the short stem/ wide bars? For more than 10 minutes? It's not for everyone, but the idea of riding trails with bars narrower than 28 inches or a stem longer than 70mm makes me want to stab myself in the face with a screwdriver now that I am used to it.

760mm bars are almost narrow by today's standards.

This topic has been beaten to death now, but stem sizes are best in proportion to handlebar width. I learned this the hard way, trying to ride a 30" wide bar with a 90mm stem. 760mm bars with a 50 stem is a bit undersized though. I would think a slightly longer stem or a wider bar would make sense.

Picking up a modern mountain bike and complaining about the handlebar and stumm is like picking up a smartphone and complaining that you can't use it because it doesn't have a rotary dial.

I have SLX brakes and they modulate just fine. You probably need to get used to them or adjust them XT brakes are very tunable.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    You are not alone in your observations. Bars are wide but you can cut them down. The stem is short but frame reach is likely longer. XT brakes are on/off. I blame the "Servo Wave" mechanism.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Ride the bars for a little while before you cut them down. You might get used to them. I know i did

Have fun
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO