mtbr member
    Apr 2012

First Bike 29er, Karakoram 3.0 vs 2.0

Hey guys, good morning, I've recently gained interest in riding mountain bikes and have started doing research, after going to my LBR and testing out a couple bikes, I've decided I'd like to go with a 29er hardtail. I open to many bikes, my budget is around $500, I've read that the Trek 4300 is a good option so if you have any other suggestions I would really appreciate it.

I found a Karakoram 3.0 for $350 and a 2.0 for $550 online which is much cheaper than the $500 and $650 options at Performance. If I were to get the 3.0 I'd like to upgrade the brakes to BB7 for under $100, which I think I'd be able to do. Now to the question, would it be worth get the 3.0 and upgrade the brakes and other components as time goes (Fork), or are the components on the 2.0 worth the extra $200. I dont know very much about the gear components and whether ones are much better than the others.

I've also contacted someone about a used Gary Fisher Paragon, would that be a better option?

Thank you for taking time to help out a noob, any suggestions or recommendations are highly appreciated, I hope to be on the trails soon!

GT Karakoram 2.0
    -Fork: Rockshox Dart 3 29", 100mm, steel stanchcion, Magnesium Leg, w/ Rebound adjustment, Preload & Lockout.
    -Frame: New 29" Wheel, Hydroformed, 6061-T6 Aluminum, Triple Triangle Design, w/ Zerostack Head Tube, Disc Mount, Replaceable Derailleur Hanger.
    -Crankset: FSA Dyna Drive, CK-300-TTT, 44/32/22T
    -Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN26
    -Pedals: GT Slim Line flat pedal, cast alloy
    -Front Derailleur: Shimano Alivio, FD-M430
    -Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio, RD-M430, 9-speed
    -Shifters: Shimano Alivio, SL-M430, Rapid Fire
    -Cassette: Shimano Cs-HG30, 9 Speed 11-34T
    -Chain: Shimano CN-HG53
    -Rims: Alex TD24, 29", 32-hole
    -Tires: Kenda Klaw XT, 29"x2.10"
    -Hubs: All Terra Alloy Disc, w / Quick Release Skewers
    -Spokes: 14g Stainless, Brass CP nipples
    -Brakes: Tektro Aquila Cable Disc with 180mm rotor front and 160mm rotor rear
    -Levers: Tektro
    -Handlebar: All Terra 6061 aluminum Riser, 700mm width, 15mm rise, 31.8 clamp
    -Stem: All Terra 1 1/8" threadless, 3D forged, 4-bolt w/CNC face plate, 5-degree rise
    -Headset: FSA No. 10 1 1/8" threadless, Zerostack

GT Karakoram 3.0
    -Fork: SR Suntour XCT-29", 100mm Travel, Steel stanchion, Alloy Leg
    -Frame: New 29" Wheel, Hydroformed, 6061-T6 Aluminum, Triple Triangle Design, w/ Zerostack Head Tube, Disc Mount, Replaceable Derailleur Hanger.
    -Crankset: Sountour XCT-30v2-T2, 44/32/22T
    -Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN26
    -Pedals: GT Slim Line flat pedal
    -Front Derailleur: Shimano Acera, Fd-M360
    -Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio, Rd-M410, 8-speed
    -Shifters: Shimano Alivio, SL-M310, Rapid Fire
    -Cassette: Shimano Cs-HG30, 8 Speed 11-32T
    -Chain: KMC Z72
    -Rims: Alex DC25,29" w/CNC Sidewall 32h
    -Tires: Kenda Klaw XT, 29"x2.10"
    -Hubs: All Terra Alloy Disc, w / Quick Release Skewers
    -Spokes: 14g Stainless, Brass CP nipples
    -Brakes: Tektro Linear Pull
    -Levers: Tektro
    -Handlebar: All Terra 6061 aluminum Riser, 700mm width, 15mm rise, 31.8 clamp
    -Stem: All Terra 1 1/8" threadless, 3D forged, 4-bolt w/CNC face plate, 5-degree rise
    -Headset: Tange Seiki 1 1/8" threadless, Zerostack

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    save ur money and get a 1.0 u will be a lot happier, or find a 2011 1.0 they got better componets, i beat the living hell out of mine and ride hard and have yet to really do much damage, only broke 1 front axle, and rear freewheel bearing went bad but GT warranty it for me, other than that its been a super great bike for the price

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dabeetereater View Post
    save ur money and get a 1.0 u will be a lot happier, or find a 2011 1.0 they got better componets, i beat the living hell out of mine and ride hard and have yet to really do much damage, only broke 1 front axle, and rear freewheel bearing went bad but GT warranty it for me, other than that its been a super great bike for the price
    Thank you for the input! I really really like the 1.0, the frame color is great and it has strong components, but its rather expensive for my first bike, I was hoping I could find something a little cheaper as a beginner I was thinking about using the other model until components crap out and maybe upgrade in future. Is it a better choice to spend the money upfront? Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    yeah man i would spend the few extra bucks on the nicer bike, im glad i did cause im very much into it and if i would have gotten the cheaper one i would have just spent the money 2 times instead of one. only bad thing about the 1.0 is teh wheels they are heave n slow, im gonna sell my bike actually but just to get a carbon zaskar
    by the time u buy teh cheaper bike and upgrade it you could just have bought the nicer one to begin with

Wino
    I can never understand why people decide to start with a cheaper bike than they can afford. The cheaper bike will most likely be heavier and slower and will give the person the wrong first impression of what mountain biking is about, especially if they haven't been on a bike for a while. Every component on the 2 is even slightly better than the 3. A Dart 3 is heavy and isn't much to write home about, but compared to the Suntour, is worth more by itself just by virtue of having rebound adjustment and a lockout. If you buy a cheap bike and expect to upgrade components whenever they break, you'll most likely find that occurring sooner than you think. If you start out with the best bike you can afford, your first impression of the sport will be much better.
    Me. The chosen one. They chose me. And I didn't even graduate from fu**ing high school.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dabeetereater View Post
    yeah man i would spend the few extra bucks on the nicer bike, im glad i did cause im very much into it and if i would have gotten the cheaper one i would have just spent the money 2 times instead of one. only bad thing about the 1.0 is teh wheels they are heave n slow, im gonna sell my bike actually but just to get a carbon zaskar
    by the time u buy teh cheaper bike and upgrade it you could just have bought the nicer one to begin with
    Alright, I'm really considering the 1.0 but its a couple hundred more than I was expecting to spend. Why are you gonna sell it? Would you like to sell it to me haha

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofannon View Post
    I can never understand why people decide to start with a cheaper bike than they can afford. The cheaper bike will most likely be heavier and slower and will give the person the wrong first impression of what mountain biking is about, especially if they haven't been on a bike for a while. Every component on the 2 is even slightly better than the 3. A Dart 3 is heavy and isn't much to write home about, but compared to the Suntour, is worth more by itself just by virtue of having rebound adjustment and a lockout. If you buy a cheap bike and expect to upgrade components whenever they break, you'll most likely find that occurring sooner than you think. If you start out with the best bike you can afford, your first impression of the sport will be much better.
    I was just asking if the 3.0 with upgraded brakes and fork, would be a better value than the 2.0 with its components. They would cost around the same.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkingKong View Post
    Thank you for the input! I really really like the 1.0, the frame color is great and it has strong components, but its rather expensive for my first bike, I was hoping I could find something a little cheaper as a beginner I was thinking about using the other model until components crap out and maybe upgrade in future. Is it a better choice to spend the money upfront? Thanks again.
    The 2011 Karakoram 1.0 (the green one) is down to 799 on performancebike.com.Surprised they have any as I tried to find one a few months back with no luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkingKong View Post
    Alright, I'm really considering the 1.0 but its a couple hundred more than I was expecting to spend. Why are you gonna sell it? Would you like to sell it to me haha
    id go for it man ill tell u from expirence its a DAM good bike, i ride really hard and over lots of technical terrain and its held up very very well, only few things along the way,
    and im selling it to get a zaskar 100 pro full suspension,
    and i pretty much have it sold already to a friend, i just have to sell something so i can get the new bike coming.

but its a serious upgrade from a 2.0 and i would deff get a 2011 model if u can they are way better than the 2012. and less money
    like dude said 800 bucks for a 2011 1.0 is a pretty good deal

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tiguan View Post
    The 2011 Karakoram 1.0 (the green one) is down to 799 on performancebike.com.Surprised they have any as I tried to find one a few months back with no luck.
    I agree with DonKingKong