Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Idea! FIRST 29er SCOTT SCALE ELITE VS SPECIALIZED STUMPJUMPER COMP 29

Hi all
    I cannot deside between the 2 bikes . There is a little bit of a price difference. I only rode the SJ and not the ELITE but I noticed that the frame geometry is not that far off. The stumpy is just under 2lbs lighter then the Scott but Im sure that with the $450 difference in price i can make them weigh the same. All feed back welcome. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm loving my Stumpjumper Comp. Haven't wanted to change a thing except the wheels. Never rode a scott, but they look like nice bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I think you'd be hard-pressed to shave 2 lbs off the bike for $450. You could get a nice Stan's No Tubes wheelset, but the lightest will run you over $1000.

I often hear that the best way to buy a bike is to go a step above what you really need. That way, you won't feel the need to upgrade parts after only one season

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Never ridden a Stumpy, but I couldn't be happier with my Scale 29. And, you can pick up a tubeless 29'er wheelset - X-9 hubs and Stan's Arch rims - for cheap on Jenson.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+X9+Wheel.aspx

I just put the X-9/Arch front on my El Rey and the bike dropped over a pound in weight.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I'd lean towards the Scott. I had one of the 2010s and for a "race" bike, they have really cool geometry. Shorter stays and a slacker front end make for a really stable, yet fast, ride. They climb like goats and descend like an avalanche! Also, Scott is a bit more rare than Specialized. You won't ever see someone riding the same bike if you grab the Scott There's pros and cons to each but the Scott just speaks to me for some reason...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Are the Stumpy wheels that bad??
    Love the Feed back keep it coming guys!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy102 View Post
    Are the Stumpy wheels that bad??
    Love the Feed back keep it coming guys!!!!!
    I wouldn't say they are bad, I just think I can drop a little weight there. Also I want something a little stiffer. I will say the back tire they come with (Renegade S-works) needs to be replaced unless you weigh 110#. I got a flat every time on my first few rides. I replaced it with a Bonty I had in the garage. Gonna buy something a little nicer shortly.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    I'd lean towards the Scott. I had one of the 2010s and for a "race" bike, they have really cool geometry. Shorter stays and a slacker front end make for a really stable, yet fast, ride. They climb like goats and descend like an avalanche! Also, Scott is a bit more rare than Specialized. You won't ever see someone riding the same bike if you grab the Scott There's pros and cons to each but the Scott just speaks to me for some reason...
    Ditto what he said. Here in Idaho (where Scott is based), you do see a lot of them. The Scale 29 has about the best bang for your buck and fun factor out there. And definitely agreed on the geometry. I've had several 29'er hardtail frames (Rig, Inbred, ScandAL, Bandersnatch, El Mariachi) and the Scott is by far the best designed and best handling 29'er I've ever ridden. It's the first "race bike" that is actually fun to ride when you're not racing I've ever owned!

mtbr member
    With the Stumpy you get the Reba fork over the Recon Gold. Also, the tires on the stumpy are tubless ready, meaning you will only have to add rim tape and some sealeant and be tubeless. Not sure about the tires on the scott. The rims on the Stumpy are not bad. I'm sure the Scott will ride pretty good too.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey guys!
    That's the thread i've been waiting for
    These are exactly the two bikes I am considering right now.

For now i have only been able to ride the Scott for about 50 kilometers (= 31 miles).
    What i can say is that it rides very well!

Unfortunately, I have not been able to ride the Specialized because the dealer didn't have one built together. He will set it up for me and I will ride it next weekend

I also tested two other 29ers in the last weeks:
    - Bulls copperhead plus 29: Very nice and agile handling, the shocks are a little too short; unfortunately, the dealer was kind of an a$$ so i am not really willing to support him by buying a bike from him

- Trek X-Caliber: Didn't feel good at all, can't really explain why. It was just a bad "overall-feeling" i had about it.

Of course, the personal feeling for the bike will be the #1 criterion when it comes down to the final decision.
    My main question is more regarding parts and value-for-money:Is the Specialized really worth the price difference, which is about 200 Euros (= 300 dollar)?

Thank you for the feeback!
    Greetings from Germany, Jim

mtbr member
    Can't say anything about the Scott but on the other hand I can't stop saying good things about the Stumpy! It's true it may be more common (though I have yet to see another on the trail, BTW I have seen a ton of Niners and Scotts) but it is hands down the best bike I have ridden for a do everything type of ride. I agree that the wheels would be my next upgrade. (Already swapped a Niner Carbon flat bar to it so that I could reuse the Spesh flat bar on another bike.) But it's the next upgrade for two reasons. First weight second is I feel they really didn't spec a good hub. Only problem I have had on the bike after several hundred miles was in the first week the front hub developed play. Spesh paid all the costs to replace it with an upgraded DT Swiss hub. So also a for their customer service!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I was in the same boat....and finally decided on the 1x10 Specialized Evo. I LOVE IT!

I'm coming off a Superfly and Niner Air 9 Carbon. I would say, the Evo, is as light as my old superfly (09) and climbs just as well. The Niner, was simply too sketchy (personally) descending.

I'm 5'11 with a short torso, and the 19 inch fits like a glove.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I just bought a used 2010 Scale 29er and love it so far... you will be hard pressed to find a 2011 Scale right now, as most are sold out until the 2012's come out later this year..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yep, over here in Germany the Scott Scale Elite 29 is sold out in frame size L for example.

This makes the decision easier for me: i am getting the Speci

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Two lbs are two lbs.
    Idaho

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I recently purchased a Scale Elite and love every ride on it. I don't plan on entering any races and Im not that serious about myself so I didnt need top of the line components. I ride trails in central Florida that consist of wet rock and light roots. The bike really works for me. Plus the paint job looks cool.

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Stumpy. Have ridden both, with the geometry of the Stumpy agreeing with me a lot more than the Scott. But at the end of the day, get whatever works for you after test riding both of them (if you can).

errr...
    I rode both. Both were nice rides. I liked the geometry on the Scott a little more.

Dirty nerotic bike whore
    stumpy vote, you would be crazy not to if you have the cash. You will feel the extra bucks spent in the better wheelset than the scott, the better fork and that really is a big jump in feel not just weight. so for 400 ya for like 1000 I would be giving different advice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm in the same boat. Also looking at the Felt nine race and Trek x-cal. Is the difference in fork (reba vs. rincon gold) that significant? The Scott LBS is going to convert the rims to tubeless. I can get a good deal on the Felt, but need to pay extra to convert the rims to tubeless + it's $200 more than the Scott. I think the Reba on the Felt is an 80, where the Rincon on the scott is 100. I'm not too happy with the specialized dealer = trying to sell me the used test bike, but will only take off $150 from list price. Plus the specialized guy keeps insulting the other bikes I'm looking at...feels like a used car salesman.

Niner21
    I'm on a large scale elite. Love the ride. A few upgrades. She moves well for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Idea!

UPDATE:

Test Drove both in the city and still can't deside
    Tested the "Team" which is a step down from the elite. It weighs 2 lbs more.

The bike felt fast but heavy compared to the stump. ( I know is only 2lbs), Stump felt more fun but the Scott felt faster.
    I felt like I wanted to jump over everything in the stumpy. I was looking for objects that would be difficult to ride over not to mention steep hills.
    With the Scott I felt like I just wanted to Fly through the streets. Once I got some speed I wanted more speed and down hills!!!!!! I would get pissed off at every red light

My delema continues

The price difference is a $100 = nothing
    I can get the Stumpy $2100 tax in and the Elite$ 2000 tax in.
    I want both I think
    I might hold out for the 2012 models of each to see if there is any difference.

mtbr member

do it.

Lanzolot
    Okay, someone brought it up so I'll ask. When do the 2012 Scotts come out? I'm looking to get my 11yr boy the Scale 29 Comp for his birthday late Aug. Should I wait, is it going to be close?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by themacsmith View Post
    Okay, someone brought it up so I'll ask. When do the 2012 Scotts come out? I'm looking to get my 11yr boy the Scale 29 Comp for his birthday late Aug. Should I wait, is it going to be close?
    The guys at the lbs said it will be at least another month before we see any 2012 scotts. They also said the 29er hardtails aren't really changing due to more focus being on the fs 29er. But who knows, Good luck. oh and another vote for the scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast