mtbr member
    Jun 2011

First 29er. Loving my flash 2 alloy: small review

I was super excited to get this bike. Sold my devinci for a great price and scraped together the rest. So for those interested in this model heres my take on it.

The good: For me the weight difference from my old bike is huge. I am talking 7 pounds difference. Weight on the large was 26lbs 5oz stock with the plastic platforms for test riding. Also the front end was much lighter with the lefty then with my rockshock tora coil spring. The lefty is soo nice that I dont really notice its there. No noise, just seems to work.

Power delivery is great. Feels very stiff( i assume this is due to the bb30 as i came from a sqaure taperd crank).

For cheap heavy tires I must say I really really like them. Not sure if they will be ok for tubless but they have great traction and roll so much better them my old tires.

Really like the sram stuff over any of the shimano I have used ( all mid to lower end stuff) shifting is nice and no skipping gears when bitting the rough stuff.

The stiffness of the front end is very noticeable. Braking turning and everything inbetween is great.

I had my doubts about the elixir 3 but they work better then my hayes nines on a fresh rebuild. Not as much over all power but more refined all around and no abnormal noise from them as of yet.

The bike fit me perfect. Coming from a 26er I had no issues getting used to it at all. No problems in tight spaces and I feel alot more confident on this bike when climbing and riding off big rocks and such.

The negitives sonfar could be a cannondale issue or it could be the shop that put it together. Crank bolt on drive side has came loose twice. Luckly I check over the bike before and while I go out for a ride. After the first time i obviously didnt tighten it enough. I need to pick up a tourque wrench to be sure so I went easy on it. There is also a squeak in the saddle that drives me nuts. Its where the rail goes into the saddle (rear). Hope fully it wears in over time. Had a very small spill today (learning clippess and nothing but rocks to ride on here) and notice the shifting was wierd and stoped to see the derailer was out of wack and looked bent. Turns out there was play in the hanger and had a feeling the hanger was loose. Sure enough one bolt was loose, the other was completly stripped. So i will have to contact cannondale and see what they say.

One other pet peeve is the fork always wants to turn left when there is no weight on the bike and this causes the fork to hit the top tube. No it didt come with a bumper and I will put somthing on when I get to work on monday. had a hard time getting the seatpost clamp tight enough but im not used to no quick release and just disnt tighten enough. Again more reason for torque wrench.

Bars are a bit wide. I like how they feel but my wife keeps bumping in the them when she trys to get into the closet its just a matter of time before she snaps and tells me to move it.

So all in all I am super happy with my purchase. Paid 1899.00 at a Lbs they threw in a nice cannondale bag that matched the orange strip on the bike its hard to tell on the web site but the bike isnt all white. Orange strip is a nice touch and it ties in the seat rails and the orange stickers on the rims.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sorry for crappy pic lol. I will get the good camera out when its nicer out

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    nice bike. test rode one & loved it

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nice bike! I love my new 29er too.