mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Final used 2012 stumpy or LTc question I promise

I posted earlier in regards to a used sworks stumpjumper fsr 29 but decided I do not want to spend that much money on a used carbon frame so I decided to pursue another option.

I came across a good deal on a 2012 stumpy carbon expert 29 and I'd like to get feedback from people that have one. Likes and dislikes. Also, what is the main difference between the stumpy expert carbon fsr 29 and the stumpy expert carbon fsr evo 29 and which one do you recommend.Other bike I am still looking into is a new Tallboy TLc but I am almost 50 and think the stumpy suspension may be a little easier on my lower back. Any input is appreciated. Would the stumpy give me alot smoother ride than the ltc so my aging back woundn't be sore as much or would the ride be about the same.

In the end I am most likely going to get the new ltc so I don't have to worry about the warranty issue since I plan on keeping this bike a long time but the stumpy is alot less expensive.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Why would you think the SJ would be better for your back vs. the LTc?

Second, you do know that SJ is carbon front triangle only with an aluminum rear?

The EVO has a slacker geometry.

It's been said a bunch of times, you need to ride both and decide for yourself!

I had a SJ and I test rode a TBLT and for me, the TBLT climbed better in full open than the SJ did in propedal.

Granted you're looking at one with the brain. Don't forget the yearly service on that shock. It's also proprietary- that yoke on the back of the shock. When I wanted to upgrade the shock on mine, it wasn't that simple, you have to go through Specialized and hope they actually have a better shock that fits.

Don't make the same mistake I did and buy a bike based on what you read on the internet. I had to unload my SJ after less than a 100 miles because I liked the Tallboy that much better.

When I replaced my TBc, I'll only buy a bike I can ride first period. I really was interested in Niner, but none of the dealers within a hour drive had one to test ride.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was under the impression that the stumpy may have somewhat of a plusher ride that may be not as hard on my lower back ad the LTc suspension but I may be wrong. I did ride both and thought they both rode fantastic and I apologize for all the questions but I want to make the absolute correct decision since if I purchase the LTc its close to $5k. I plan on keeping this bike for a long long time so I want to be sure I'm not going to be regretting my decision. Thanks for your understanding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    also if I purchase the LTc I plan on going with the XL package and wondering if I should upgrade to the XTR trail brakes and XTR rear shadowbox derailer or would the XL brakes and XL shadowbox derailer be fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Xt brakes are fine as is an XT rear Shadow + clutch derailleur. $75 add for the derailleur GS. You save $800.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by peter19ue View Post
    also if I purchase the LTc I plan on going with the XL package and wondering if I should upgrade to the XTR trail brakes and XTR rear shadowbox derailer or would the XL brakes and XL shadowbox derailer be fine.
    I have a TBc with the XT package and I can't be happier with it. I see no reason to go with XTR.

If the RD breaks for some reason I might go XTR but I wouldn't do it until the old one broke. The XT drivetrain is working very well.

Look I can only tell you my experience. I went from a 2012 SJ with avid/sram to the TBc with XT. It blew my budget big time, but I have yet to regret it, loving the bike.

The FSR might be a little plusher on the downhill, but I don't feel beat up on my TBc and to be honest, I find the VPP of SC to be a better climber.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks two tone, I appreciate it. I found a bike store close by that has an LTc in large so I am going to take a look at it tonight and see how it fits. I did demo an XL a week ago and it felt a little big so maybe I would be better suited on a Large. I am around 6'1" 195lbs and around a 34" inseam. I am also 48 years old so not sure if a large or xlarge would be better.

Out of curiosity what size are you on?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks two tone, I appreciate it. I found a bike store close by that has an LTc in large so I am going to take a look at it tonight and see how it fits. I did demo an XL a week ago and it felt a little big so maybe I would be better suited on a Large. I am around 6'1" 195lbs and around a 34" inseam. I am also 48 years old so not sure if a large or xlarge would be better.

Out of curiosity what size are you on?
    I'm 5'10' 3/4 with a 31.5 inseam on a large. SC top tube lengths tend to run a little shorter from what I've seen. I'm 45 with a bad back myself, so the FSR vs.VPP should be an issue either way. Just pick the one you like better.

BUT as many have already said on your other posts, no way I would buy carbon used.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Trail Junkie
    In my opinion the LTc is more plush than the SJ FSR...especially compared to the Expert level with the Brain...that is just a PITA with the shock/bike being down for 1 month due to shock service.
    The Fox CTD shock that comes on the LTc is both easier to work on, and easy to upgrade. A seal kit costs about $20 and takes about 15min to complete..if you do it yourself. Also all the suspension hardware on Santa Cruz bicycles come with a lifetime warranty..so if bearing/seal/axle goes out, just call up Willie @ SC, he'll have a new one in the mail the same day.

Also in my opinion, the carbon that Santa Cruz uses does a better job of "muting" out trail vibration and such..You still feel the trail, but not in a bad way.

I have owned the Tallboy carbon since early 2010, and have demo'd the LTc twice now, once for an entire long weekend. I use to race for a Specialized/Scott/Niner/Santa Cruz store locally so I had a lot of bikes available to me to spend some time on. I took the year off from racing this year because have been studying and also may be relocating.

Ultimately though, like TwoTone said..you have to get some time in on the LTc before making a decision, you'll otherwise have that "what if second guessing going on" or not be on the bike you truly wanted. We can turn this topic into a broken record listing the pros/cons, but no one can truly make the right decision for you, but you.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks dubdryver. I am going to pull the trigger and go with the LTc. I plan on keeping this bike a long time and want to make sure if something breaks I can just call Santa Cruz and not have to worry about warranty issues if I were to purchase a used bike. Now I just have to decide which size I need. I test rode a XL a week ago and it felt kinda big. Could have just been because it was the first 29er I was on. They did not have a Large to try out. I found another bike store close by that has a large so I am going to try that tonight to see if it fits better than the XL. I am 6'1" 195 with about a 34" inseam. I am also 48 years old. I want to make sure I purchase the right size. Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    One final question. Is it worth spending the additional $250 to get the Fox CTD shock or is the Fox RP23 good enough,

Trail Junkie
    I have no experience with the CTD, but from what I have heard is that they are not so different..you might have to do some research on that one. I just know the PITA that one has to endure dealing with the Brain shocks and the routine maintenance required.

Definitely make sure you get into the right size. Also keep in mind that a 29er is going to feel bigger especially if you're transitioning from a 26". The first time you get on the trail though, your confidence in the bigger bike will grow, and it will continue to grow until the 26" just entirely feels small and awkward to ride.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    One final question. Is it worth spending the additional $250 to get the Fox CTD shock or is the Fox RP23 good enough,
    The bike comes with a CTD, the$205 is for the upgrade to a CTD Kashima coating.

Honestly, I don't think its worth it. Save that money for a different stem if you end up feeling like you need some cockpit adjustments or tires. I didn't like the stock tires. Ironically it's the one thing I loved on the SJ and I swapped the tires out for Specailized Purgatory 2.3 up front and a Ground Control 2.1 on the rear.

Yes mine has a Kashima coat shock, but it came that way, actually I was surprised. I didn't pay for the upgrade and assumed for the deal I got, it was going to be the RP2.

As far as size only you can determine that. I always rode medium bikes until I bought a 29er, just felt right in a large. Some people like smaller feeling bikes other like feeling stretched out.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    got it, I'll skip the kashima coating and save the $250. Yeah, I will know which one feels better after tonight and I think it's going to be the large since the xlarge felt really really big and I think I tend to like the feel of a smaller bike. My current marin hardtail is 20.5" so would that be more inline to a large or Xlarge ltc. Thanks again for all your help. Just want to make sure I do this right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    fianl question. Should I go with 2x or 3x gearing. I primarily ride autburn ca.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    fianl question. Should I go with 2x or 3x gearing. I primarily ride autburn ca.
    That someone else will have to help you with. Not familiar with the area.
    I will say the SJ had 2x10, here in MD I have rolling hills, climbs arent really long and I'm actually liking that I went back to 3x10 I know it bucks the trend, but my trails have enough shallow long downhills that I'm actually in the larger ring a lot. I use the 2 larger rings for 90% my riding and only hit the granny on really step climbs.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So I just gone test riding a ltc xl, ltc l, and a stumpy evo expert large and I'll be ordering a ltc extra large. Bike felt amazing set up properly for my size. Now I just have to decide if I like the yellow or matte black color. Thanks for all your help and I'm glad I was able to demo all bikes back to back