Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    rpr
    rpr is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    22

    Fezzari Hidden Peak???

    Anybody have any thoughts on this relatively new 29er?

    I'm looking for a good all around, I would prefer the XO but I may need to order it with the SRAM X9 component set to reduce costs.

    Any experiences or thoughts with Fezzari and/or this bike in particular would be appreciated...whether good or bad.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    36
    I have their Nebo and I've ridden the Hidden Peak as well as seen it on the trails in Utah a couple of times. (I also have one of their road bikes). I was going to buy a Hidden, but I went with a their hard tail 29er simply because I like to race XC. That's the only reason. We actually have four of their bikes at our house now.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    150
    My brother bought one a few months ago with the X0 package and he continues to rave about it. It really is a sharp looking bike and he claims the customer service was great with helping him decide on parts, sizing, etc.

  4. #4
    rpr
    rpr is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    22
    Thanks for the feedback. I am seriously considering the Hidden Peak.

    Still a bit more than Imwant to spend, but it's a lot of bike for the money.

  5. #5
    Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Reputation: JACKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    376
    My buddy bought an Alta Peak about a year ago. Service was great, and the bike arrived set up for his height and weight. Fezzarri also answered the phone when he had questions. We ride 1 to 3x per week, occasionally it's been to some pretty rocky trails, and no problems so far. He loves the bike. The Alta has a 67 degree head tube, which is too slack for the Dallas area, but he doesn't seem to mind and it works great on the downs.

  6. #6
    rpr
    rpr is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    22
    Thanks...I'm seriously considering the Hidden Peak for myself, and the Wiki Peak for my wife.

    She is just very petite, 4'9" and 91 lbs, so I'm not sure the small frame will be small enough for her.

    For me, I'm still struggling with the X0 vs the XT, or maybe a compromise with a custom Hidden Peak X9 build (although I think I will regret not going with the X0).


  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    150
    My brother was really sold on the X0, but now after having it for about 6 months, feels that he would have been better served saving some money and not getting it. I rode it a few times and can't see the need to spend the extra. I mean, if you have it laying around and burning a hole in your pocket, sure. Just don't know many people that do.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: A1an's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,572
    4ish years ago we purchased their cheaper 26" HT for my wife. Good bike and components for the money compared to what Trek, Spec, etc had to offer. Seems to carry over in their newer bikes as well.

    We had some issues with her drivetrain a few months after purchase. Fezzari had us take it to the LBS of our choice where they discussed the issues with the shop and paid the shop directly for the repairs (needed a new chain...they paid to upgrade to an XT I think). After all that they even gave us the choice of whatever accessory or shop tool we wanted from their online shop. Great customer service.
    Signature

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: johnnyspoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    759
    Meh. I think for a mail order bike it's overpriced. Look around, you can do a lot better than a cro-mo stanchioned recon and 475 hubs for the $, even from an LBS. Not saying it's a bad bike, just seems like there are better options for the money.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,031
    If your set on that bike, I'd go with XT kit, and ask to upgrade to XT brakes and a better wheel set.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    40

    such as...

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post
    Meh. I think for a mail order bike it's overpriced. Look around, you can do a lot better than a cro-mo stanchioned recon and 475 hubs for the $, even from an LBS. Not saying it's a bad bike, just seems like there are better options for the money.
    So I am sort of in the same boat, mostly looking at the Hidden Peak XT and maybe doing some upgrades to the fork and wheelset depending on how much Fezzari upcharges for this. But I would ask what other bikes would be close to the Hidden Peak XT for the money?? I've looked around at all my LBSs, and the closest I can find is maybe the Giant Trance X 29er 1, which is still $500 more. After taxes it will be every bit of $3000. That's quite a bit more than the Hidden Peak XT. LBSs do not budge on MSRP, which I totally understand.

    What else is out there that would be comparable? What would be these "better options?" I've searched high and low locally and nothing is coming close price wise.

  12. #12
    rpr
    rpr is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by pdb_lmb View Post
    So I am sort of in the same boat, mostly looking at the Hidden Peak XT and maybe doing some upgrades to the fork and wheelset depending on how much Fezzari upcharges for this. But I would ask what other bikes would be close to the Hidden Peak XT for the money?? I've looked around at all my LBSs, and the closest I can find is maybe the Giant Trance X 29er 1, which is still $500 more. After taxes it will be every bit of $3000. That's quite a bit more than the Hidden Peak XT. LBSs do not budge on MSRP, which I totally understand.

    What else is out there that would be comparable? What would be these "better options?" I've searched high and low locally and nothing is coming close price wise.
    A lot of good feedback and suggestions above, but I agree...I cannot find anything that compares to the Hiden Peak in terms of bang for your buck. By the time you are done upgrading the components on the XT, particularly if you want to change from 3x9 to 2x10, you will be close to the price of the XO.

    I appreciate all the feedback above, but I pulled the trigger on the XO (for me) and the Wiki Peak (for my wife).

    Fezzari has been great to deal with so far..they have spent hours with me addressing my questions, sizing concerns for my wife, etc.

    Good luck...I'll let you know my impressions when I get the bikes...I'm planning a week of vacation after they arrive to get out there.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,031
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    A lot of good feedback and suggestions above, but I agree...I cannot find anything that compares to the Hiden Peak in terms of bang for your buck. By the time you are done upgrading the components on the XT, particularly if you want to change from 3x9 to 2x10, you will be close to the price of the XO.

    I appreciate all the feedback above, but I pulled the trigger on the XO (for me) and the Wiki Peak (for my wife).

    Fezzari has been great to deal with so far..they have spent hours with me addressing my questions, sizing concerns for my wife, etc.

    Good luck...I'll let you know my impressions when I get the bikes...I'm planning a week of vacation after they arrive to get out there.
    Why do you have to spend anything expect a bash guard to go from 3x10 to 2x10?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

  14. #14
    rpr
    rpr is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    22
    Even though the list prices are comparable between the 3x9 and 2x10 component sets (actually, they are a bit less for the 2x10), unfortunately, Fezzari charges for the change over, fairly significantly.

    I wanted to change the component set on the stock Wiki Peak from 3x9 to 2x10 (but still keeping it the stock SRAM X7), and they quoted me $460!!!

    Not sure I spoke to the right person, it was yesterday (Saturday) and there was limited staffing in the shop, so I am double checking this.

    I hope to find out tomorrow that this quote was an error because my wife will have a much harder time with the 3x9 as opposed to the 2x10.

    We'll see...

  15. #15
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,632
    The Wiki Peak comes with Tektro mechanical disc brakes, a Rock Shox XC28 (basically a rebadged Dart) fork with a 9mm quick release axle, and an Epicon rear shock for $1,149, plush $460 to upgrade to X7 @ 2x10 (BTW, the shifters on the Wiki Peak are X5) which comes to a little over $1,600.

    The 2013 Giant Anthem X29er 4(W) lists for $1,925 and comes with a Rock Shox Recon Silver fork (upgrade) with a 15QR axle (upgrade), Shimano hydraulic disc brakes (upgrade), a Rock Shox Monarch rear shock (upgrade), and Shimano 3x10 drivetrain (upgrade).

    Not sure I would recommend the Wiki as spec'd and upgraded for $1,609. I think most could do better if they looked around. I just checked the website of a bike shop near me and they have a 2012 Giant Anthem (W) 4 (with 26" wheels) for $1,549. It has a Recon Gold fork, RS Monarch rear shock, and Avid hydraulic disc brakes, but is 3x9. Still, a bash guard and easy derailleur adjustment makes that 2x9, and very similar to what 2x10 would give her. I think you could find better for the money upfront and spare the road to upgraditis.

  16. #16
    rpr
    rpr is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    22
    Yes, there is no way I would consider the upgrade at the quoted price.

    But unfortunately, the SO on the Giant's are just too high for her. The Fezzari's SO is 26.5", and even that's pushing it.

    Just so I understand, you're saying you can just add a bashguard and adjust the stock front deraileur to get 2x9?

    Without changing anything else?

    How do you do this, just adjust it to skip the middle gear on the front crank?

    Won't the gear ratios be all messed up...with a large jump in gear ratio from gear 9 to gear 10?

  17. #17
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,632
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    Yes, there is no way I would consider the upgrade at the quoted price.

    But unfortunately, the SO on the Giant's are just too high for her. The Fezzari's SO is 26.5", and even that's pushing it.

    Just so I understand, you're saying you can just add a bashguard and adjust the stock front deraileur to get 2x9?

    Without changing anything else?

    How do you do this, just adjust it to skip the middle gear on the front crank?

    Won't the gear ratios be all messed up...with a large jump in gear ratio from gear 9 to gear 10?
    You just remove the largest chainring and replace it with the bashguard, and then adjust the front derailleur stop all the way in so it won't shift past the middle ring. If she (and you) are concerned about only having a 32t chainring as the biggest one, you really don't lose that much, maybe 2 of the tallest gears. If she feels she needs a bit more, you could put a 36t chainring on to replace the 32t and that would net losing less than one gear compared to a 42t chainring (generally unnoticeable unless you're racing down hills).

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,031
    You need to shop around before deciding. You said the LBS wont come off MRSP, find another LBS.

    I paid less than MRSP for both of mine and they were that years model.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

  19. #19
    rpr
    rpr is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    You just remove the largest chainring and replace it with the bashguard, and then adjust the front derailleur stop all the way in so it won't shift past the middle ring. If she (and you) are concerned about only having a 32t chainring as the biggest one, you really don't lose that much, maybe 2 of the tallest gears. If she feels she needs a bit more, you could put a 36t chainring on to replace the 32t and that would net losing less than one gear compared to a 42t chainring (generally unnoticeable unless you're racing down hills).
    Good info!

    If she has trouble with the 3x9, the above approach would certainly seem advantageous over paying $460 to have Fezzari change the stock components.

    Thanks.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: johnnyspoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by pdb_lmb View Post
    So I am sort of in the same boat, mostly looking at the Hidden Peak XT and maybe doing some upgrades to the fork and wheelset depending on how much Fezzari upcharges for this. But I would ask what other bikes would be close to the Hidden Peak XT for the money?? I've looked around at all my LBSs, and the closest I can find is maybe the Giant Trance X 29er 1, which is still $500 more. After taxes it will be every bit of $3000. That's quite a bit more than the Hidden Peak XT. LBSs do not budge on MSRP, which I totally understand.

    What else is out there that would be comparable? What would be these "better options?" I've searched high and low locally and nothing is coming close price wise.
    Well, for 100 less (list) is the superfly 100 al. This has a Reba fork and arguably better hubsl (look for the megathread complaining about 475's in the Shimano forum). Yeah x-7 does not equal xt, but the difference in both weight and performance would likely be less than recon silver to the reba, and less money and hassle to switch as well. I'm not saying the hidden peak is a bad bike, and maybe fezzari will work with you on your particular upgrades, it just seems like it would be just an *ok* deal if bought in store. Mail order? Seems high.

    I would guess that there are other lbs bikes out there that would compete with the trek. And I know from the shop I frequent that they usually sell below list...in fact, the superfly al 100 elite is selling for only a little more than the fezzari.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

  21. #21
    Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Reputation: JACKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    You just remove the largest chainring and replace it with the bashguard, and then adjust the front derailleur stop all the way in so it won't shift past the middle ring. If she (and you) are concerned about only having a 32t chainring as the biggest one, you really don't lose that much, maybe 2 of the tallest gears. If she feels she needs a bit more, you could put a 36t chainring on to replace the 32t and that would net losing less than one gear compared to a 42t chainring (generally unnoticeable unless you're racing down hills).
    At that point you're all set, but I'll just mention that an additional optional step would be to shorten the chain since it doesn't need to be as long. Just don't do that until you've finalized your middle chainring selection.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    150
    While I wouldn't try to steer you away from the Fezzari based on the good experiences I've heard, never agree to pay MSRP at an LBS right off the bat. For any bike I've ever bought, I call around to all the dealers in town and they will compete against each other. The ones that don't, don't get a sale.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •