mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Felt9 sport vs Raleigh talus sport

look at these 2 bikes for my first 29er any thought whould be great i can get the felt for 800 or the raleigh for 650

i have been going over spec but i am never sure how to figure out which one has better what.

here is the raleigh Raleigh Bicycles Talus 29 Sport

here is the felt 9 Nine Sport - Felt Bicycles

thanks

mtbr member
    The Felt has higher end components. Check out the fork, brakes and derailleur. They are all one step up on the Felt. That's why there is a big price difference. Wheels aren't good on either but at this level they never are. If it were me I would get the Felt.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    thanks for the input

mtbr member
    I love my 2010 nine comp and I'd recommend it to anyone. The Felt has better components, but you might want to look at the geo (head angle and chainstay differ) and fit of the two bikes and, of course, ride them if you can.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am going to be riding both of them very soon to see which one I like the fit of better that will be the trump. As I like the price of the Raleigh and the look and build of the felt. I like being able to only spend $650 and maybe get a new helmet and some bar ends, but on the other end put all the money in to a better bike and not worry about upgrades. Bikes are at two different shops and the shop with the felt offers free tune ups for the life of the bike which is also a swaying factor.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Quickcat18 View Post
    I am going to be riding both of them very soon to see which one I like the fit of better that will be the trump. As I like the price of the Raleigh and the look and build of the felt. I like being able to only spend $650 and maybe get a new helmet and some bar ends, but on the other end put all the money in to a better bike and not worry about upgrades. Bikes are at two different shops and the shop with the felt offers free tune ups for the life of the bike which is also a swaying factor.
    Your shops sound the opposite of mine. The Raleigh shop here offers the free tune ups for life. Of course the Felt is a nicer bike. My buddy has the 2012 Raleigh and it's a nice bike, but I prefer the rock shox over the suntour fork any day. It's up to you, also you have Airborne Guardians you can get for $675 shipped, or a costco northrock 29er for 480. If you can afford the felt, get it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yeah at the one shop I am going to ride the Raleigh and a redline d610 which has the same shox as the felt but with all SRAM x5. The other shop has the felt sport and trail. I am hoping one just feels better than the rest to make the decision easy and I am going to ask the Raleigh shop about service.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Airborne Guardian has a RS XC28 at $600+ship. The geo is stable--great for skill development.
    Airborne Bicycles. Guardian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Felt9 sport vs Raleigh talus sport-guardian.jpg  

Last edited by eb1888; 08-17-2012 at 08:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yeah but I would rather support a local shop and the diffrence in cost will be made up after a few tune ups that I am paying for as I am sure trail riding takes a toll on these bikes.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quickcat18 View Post
    Yeah but I would rather support a local shop and the diffrence in cost will be made up after a few tune ups that I am paying for as I am sure trail riding takes a toll on these bikes.
    Wise move my friend.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well the sport in a L came in today I will go ride both sizes and see hich one I like better and then decide on the felt sport or trail which will come down to the money and if I have enough for the sport.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well i just put money down on the Felt 9 Sport and should be able to pick it up the end of this week or early next week. i will post pics once i have the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am also looking for first 29er in this price range. Let us know how you like the Felt.

On a side note, how is the RockShox XC28? Is it enough for a 210# rider?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just picked up the felt today I will post pics and a review once I get some time on it but so far it is a very nice bike and I really like how it rides

And yes I think the fork will work fine for 210#. I am 200# and it is fine for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You get tuneups not maintenance. And the bikes do need maintenance because of the conditions of trail riding. This week I removed the fork lowers cleaned and greased the bushings and checked the air piston oil. The damper is s closed system so no oil change as in many forks. I also disassembled my dt swiss star ratchet rear hub cleaned out the grease and regreased it. It starts to click more noticeably when it needs service. Also dry lubed the chain. 3 weeks ago I pulled my SLX cranks off, no special tools, to check grease on the outboard BB bearings. A thread in drivetrain had said Shimano wasn't putting enough grease in the nonDS bearing. Mine was new a couple months ago and the report was true. Grease both sides.
    Your LBS will adjust cables and spokes but the maintenance you need to do makes those easy after a few minutes of effort.
    3 guys on the side of the trail were trying to adjust the front derailleur on a new Giant with a multi-tool. Once we clicked the shifter to take the tension off the cable we set the large chainring stop,checking it with the shifter after each one turn, put a little bit of angle in the derailleur moving the back in and set the stop for the small ring. The center was still good, but the barrel adjuster could have changed it. Now all three of them will never need to go in to the LBS for that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Rode 11.4 miles on bike trail pulling and extra 75# (both my boys in a carrier) bike rode very nice.

Rode 4.7 miles of single track today and very much enjoyed the ride and how this bike handles thumbs up to Felt this is a very nice bike. i look forward to getting better acquainted with it in the coming weeks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

still loving my Felt 9 sport and after riding it am getting use to the 29er more and more i still feel like i am riding a monster truck and that it is maybe not as quick as what my 26 bike was but i like the ride of the 29er. And this is a great bike to get back into riding with very well made and rides great.

i also picked up some rollers and new tires for winter riding and getting in shape.... rollers are fun way to work out.