Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28

    Felt Nine Sport or Trek Cobia

    Hey guys, another one getting into mountain bike riding. I used to ride alot back in the day and used to have a heap of fun with my Giant Boulder but it got destroyed after going on some majorly erosion worn fire tracks (quite technical) but would love to get on some single tracks and a bit of everything to be honest.

    I live in Australia, and will be using the bike as a commuter to work (about 10km) but also want to have a bash on the weekend also. Im not too worried about the commute to work, i may just get another cheap bike for that. I am 187cm, 6 foot 3.

    Getting to the point.

    Ive narrowed it down to the:0
    • Felt Nine Sport ($1100)
    • Trek Cobia ($1200)


    I want something that I will be able to upgrade easy in the future and I can get parts easy for. Im swaying towards the trek for this reason as Felt doesnt seem as big in Australia, at least where i am situated. I know I should try both bikes to find out whats feels the best, but riding around the carpark doesnt give a realistic insight.

    Here are the stats for both bikes.

    Felt Nine Sport
    Frame:
    FELT Nine alloy Trail series 29'er frame, butted 6061 aluminum: w/ hydroformed top tube, IS disc mounts, oversized integrated head tube for semi-integrated headset, replaceable derailleur hanger

    Fork:
    Rockshox XC28 TK Mag 29 100mm travel: 29'er fork, 1 1/8"" steel steerer tube, spring preload adjust, external rebound and turnkey lockout, magnesium lowers, post disc mount

    Drivetrain:
    Shimano SL-M390 9 speed Rapid Fire shifters, Shimano Alivio front derailleur, Shimano Deore Shadow rear derailleur, Suntour XCR crankset KMC Z99 chain, Sram PG-950 Cassette

    Components:
    Tektro Draco Hydraulic disc brake, Felt MTB oversized XC alloy riser bar, Felt MTB 3D-forged stem, Felt 6061 alloy twin clamp seatpost, Felt mountain saddle

    Wheelset:
    29'er Doublewall aluminum disc rims, forged alloy QR 8/9 speed cassette disc hubset, stainless 14g w/ brass nipples, WTB Prowler folding tires w/ Presta tubes

    and

    Trek Cobia

    Frame
    Alpha Gold Aluminum, butted & hydroformed tubing, cold-forged dropouts & bottom bracket, G2 Geometry

    Front suspension
    RockShox Recon Silver TK 29 w/Solo Air spring, TurnKey lockout, rebound, custom G2

    Geometry, 51mm offset crown, 100mm travel
    Sizes
    15.5, 17.5, 19, 21"

    Wheels
    Shimano M475 alloy hubs; Bontrager AT-850 disc 29 32-hole rims

    Tyres
    Bontrager XR3, 29x2.1"

    Shifters
    SRAM X5, 10 speed

    Front derailleur
    Shimano Deore

    Rear derailleur
    SRAM X5

    Crank
    SRAM S800, 44/33/22

    Cassette
    SRAM PG-1030 11-36, 10 speed

    Pedals
    Wellgo alloy

    Saddle
    Bontrager Evoke 1

    Seatpost
    Bontrager SSR, 27.2mm, 20mm offset

    Handlebar
    Bontrager Low Riser, 31.8mm, 5mm rise, 9 degree sweep

    Stem
    Bontrager Race Lite, 31.8mm

    Headset
    1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings

    Brakeset
    Hayes Dyno Comp hydraulic disc brakes

    Grips
    Bontrager Race Lite

  2. #2
    Rides the Desert
    Reputation: ltk1144's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    255
    Cobia definately. Seeing as the fork, drivetrain, and brakes are significantly better on the Cobia for only a $100 difference, that is a big deal.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28
    thanks for that. being a total newb, i wouldnt be able to pick up on these things. the paint job on the felt nine sport is awesomeness though

  4. #4
    Just ride.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    148
    I looked at the same bikes when I went in this year, and my shop, although they carried them, pushed towards Trek as I'm looking to race. "You will be happier with the Cobia"

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28
    Is it hard to install tubeless tires into the Cobia?

  6. #6
    Rides the Desert
    Reputation: ltk1144's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by hakea View Post
    thanks for that. being a total newb, i wouldnt be able to pick up on these things. the paint job on the felt nine sport is awesomeness though
    No problem. Im not a fan of the Cobia paint job either. Things that mark a "bad" bike are tektro brakes and suntour fork. Dont get me wrong, these things work and ive had 2 bikes with both. But they kind of suck honestly, I mean theyll be fine for just casual road riding or commuting but really are not quality

    Quote Originally Posted by hakea View Post
    Is it hard to install tubeless tires into the Cobia?
    Well you may need different tires but with conversion kit you definately shouldnt have to change rims. I personally dont like the Cobia tires anyway, I have a Mamba which uses the same ones.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by ltk1144 View Post
    No problem. Im not a fan of the Cobia paint job either. Things that mark a "bad" bike are tektro brakes and suntour fork. Dont get me wrong, these things work and ive had 2 bikes with both. But they kind of suck honestly, I mean theyll be fine for just casual road riding or commuting but really are not quality



    Well you may need different tires but with conversion kit you definately shouldnt have to change rims. I personally dont like the Cobia tires anyway, I have a Mamba which uses the same ones.

    What do you think of the Mamba, its $1000 at my local LBS, is the Cobia worth the extra $200?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    41
    I think its worth the extra 200. I was looking at the Cobia and Mamba, but ended up with the Cobia due to the better components with a small price difference. The fork alone is a good deciding factor due to it being an air fork.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5
    Definitely go the Cobia, after a lot of research at bike shops and online, this is a terrific bike and setup for the price. I paid the same price 2 months ago, and pushed them to chuck in a Fox Flux helmet, pump, gloves and bottle and cage. Have never been happier, put on some Sram comfort grips, and next is tubeless tyres with Stans.:

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by howieb69 View Post
    Definitely go the Cobia, after a lot of research at bike shops and online, this is a terrific bike and setup for the price. I paid the same price 2 months ago, and pushed them to chuck in a Fox Flux helmet, pump, gloves and bottle and cage. Have never been happier, put on some Sram comfort grips, and next is tubeless tyres with Stans.:
    Haha, yeh i might try and see if they can throw in some extras.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eric Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,498
    +1 on the cobia. it never hurts to ask them to throw in some extras. i usually ask something like, "is this the lowest possible price on the cobia? anyway you can go a little lower?" if they say no, then say, well what about throwing in a helmet or some type of discount on accessories?" also be sure to know what kind of tune-ups/repairs are included.

    good luck and enjoy! my first mtb since the 90s was a cobia a few years ago- it was great!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

  12. #12
    Rides the Desert
    Reputation: ltk1144's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    255
    On the Cobia vs Mamba thing I have a Mamba and it is great. The fork feels just as good as the Cobia as does the drivetrain and personally I like the brakes better on the Mamba. Also the color is much cooler

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoomerBrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    385
    I have the Cobia and I am loving it. I like the paint better in person. Also removing the stickers on the rims and getting some better pedals makes it look better. The Cobia retails for $1050 here.

    Don't like the tires though. Getting rid of those next and going tubeless.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,572
    I'll be the dissenter here. I've got a Felt Nine Race. Admittedly much higher component level, but the frame is amazing, so for upgrades down the road, I rank it higher than the Trek/GF frames.

    But I will also concede that the specs on the Cobia are better than the Sport level for the Felt.

    That said, the G2 geometry is kind of a love it or hate it thing, so make sure you ride them both before deciding which one to buy. I don't like the G2 at all, which is obvious by the fact that I have a Felt instead of an X-caliber or something.

    Why down to these two?

    The Specialized Rockhopper and Carve are in the same price range and, probably, bang for the buck wise, the Giant Talon 29er may have them all beat. (Talon 29er 0 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States) And has a cool paint job, too!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by howieb69 View Post
    Definitely go the Cobia, after a lot of research at bike shops and online, this is a terrific bike and setup for the price. I paid the same price 2 months ago, and pushed them to chuck in a Fox Flux helmet, pump, gloves and bottle and cage. Have never been happier, put on some Sram comfort grips, and next is tubeless tyres with Stans.:
    I totally agree. Go Cobia

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    I'll be the dissenter here. I've got a Felt Nine Race. Admittedly much higher component level, but the frame is amazing, so for upgrades down the road, I rank it higher than the Trek/GF frames.

    But I will also concede that the specs on the Cobia are better than the Sport level for the Felt.

    That said, the G2 geometry is kind of a love it or hate it thing, so make sure you ride them both before deciding which one to buy. I don't like the G2 at all, which is obvious by the fact that I have a Felt instead of an X-caliber or something.

    Why down to these two?

    The Specialized Rockhopper and Carve are in the same price range and, probably, bang for the buck wise, the Giant Talon 29er may have them all beat. (Talon 29er 0 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States) And has a cool paint job, too!
    The Australian Giant Talon 0 29er has a suntour fork and from what i read, rockshox is much better.

    Talon 29er 0 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Australia

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoomerBrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    385
    I loved the talon. It felt a lot like the Cobia but the Cobia shock is better.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28
    Is the 100mm travel on the Trek Cobia, would i be alright with 3ft drops?

  19. #19
    Rides the Desert
    Reputation: ltk1144's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by hakea View Post
    Is the 100mm travel on the Trek Cobia, would i be alright with 3ft drops?
    Yep, It might be a problem eventually, but most likely not with the fork

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    219
    Trek Cobia

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scatl M artin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    76
    Hey guys,

    A lot of good info here, I am also about to buy my first real bike, I'm 24 years old and I plan to beat the **** out of it so I definitely need the highest performing components & biggest bang for my buck.

    However, my question is, whether the Airborne Goblin is a better bike than the Cobia? I was told it is, but I just can't do the (puke green) color... I know that shouldn't be a deciding factor, but if I'm going to spend upwards of $1200, I think it should be aesthetically pleasing.

    So purely on a specs basis, is the Goblin superior to the Cobia?

    Thanks for the input

    Goblin specs:

    Frame - 6061 Hydroformed Aluminum Hardtail 29"
    Fork - RockShox Reba RL 29 Dual Air w/Lock-Out, 80mm
    Headset - Ahead Sealed Cartridge 1 1/8"
    Brake Levers - Avid Elixir R
    Brakes - Avid Elixir R Hydraulic Disc
    Rotors - Avid Elixir R 160mm
    Shifters - SRAM X-7 2x10
    F Derailleur - SRAM X-7 2x10
    R Derailleur - SRAM X-7 2x10 Mid-Cage
    Cassette - SRAM PG-1050 12-36T 10-Speed
    Chain - SRAM Powerchain 1051
    Crank - SRAM X-7 2x10, 39/26 rings
    Bottom Bracket - SRAM XR GXP Sealed BB
    Pedals - NONE
    Rims - WTB Trail 29 32H
    Hubs - KT HiFlange Sealed Bearing 32H
    Spokes - Black 14g Stainless
    Tires KENDA Small Block 8, 2.1"
    Handlebar - AIRBORNE Alloy Flat, 640mm width
    Stem - AIRBORNE Alloy +/- 7 Degree Rise, size specific
    Saddle - Selle San Marco SPID Black/White
    Seat Post - AIRBORNE Alloy 31.6mm Diameter, 350mm Length
    Extras - Owner's Manual, Clear Coat, H20 Bottle Mounts

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    219
    Goblin is better

  23. #23
    Certifiably Crazy
    Reputation: Carloswithac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    441
    I love my Nine Sport, but the components are better on the Cobia.
    I'm already looking to upgrade to full XT components on mine.
    It does have a beautiful paint job and is fun to ride.
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,572
    Quote Originally Posted by scatl M artin View Post
    Hey guys,

    A lot of good info here, I am also about to buy my first real bike, I'm 24 years old and I plan to beat the **** out of it so I definitely need the highest performing components & biggest bang for my buck.

    However, my question is, whether the Airborne Goblin is a better bike than the Cobia? I was told it is, but I just can't do the (puke green) color... I know that shouldn't be a deciding factor, but if I'm going to spend upwards of $1200, I think it should be aesthetically pleasing.
    Bang for the buck at this price point, the Goblin far outstretches just about anything out there.

    Like the G2 geometry, that green is a love it or hate it kinda thing. I kind of like it and it would be in the plus column if I was looking right now!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Gentleman View Post
    Goblin is better
    Unfortunately I cant source the goblin in Australia

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    36
    I'm about three weeks into a squealing Trek Marlin 29er and thinking of dumping it for something else. I can get my hands on a 12Y Mamba for about $750 and a 12y Cobia for $953. AND i guess I could use those prices to bump selections elsewhere.

    A Talon 29er 0, a Felt Sport, a Cannondale 29er SL3... all of them should follow Cobia and drop 22%.

    So if you had your choice of any bike in the 1200 range that you could buy for 950, what would you and why?

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3
    First post newbie. I want to get into riding again and the LBS has a 12 Mamba that they woud sell to me for 779. is that a good price?

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by hatterasurf View Post
    First post newbie. I want to get into riding again and the LBS has a 12 Mamba that they woud sell to me for 779. is that a good price?
    Great price for a brand new price. I think Trek is having some kind of promotion with bike shops. I've found several places selling the $990 Cobia for under 800.

  29. #29
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloswithac View Post
    I love my Nine Sport, but the components are better on the Cobia.
    I'm already looking to upgrade to full XT components on mine.
    It does have a beautiful paint job and is fun to ride.
    I agree with Carloswithac as the Cobia is better spec'd but I'm very happy with my Nine Sport, especially after throwing some Arches on it. I did look at the Cobia, originally, but the red paint was a deal killer.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    41
    Still not seeing prices like you. I would snatch up a Cobia at that price in a second if I could. My lbs has it for $1150. The Mamba is $950 for me. Sucks for me.

    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3
    Its only that price is because its a 23"frame and want to sell. Since im 6'7 Im his perfect customer

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoomerBrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    385
    The Cobia retails for 1050 in my neck of the woods. They wouldn't budge off of that. You may try asking for that price.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    41
    They would only give me $1099 cash deal today when I went. I'm going to expand my search and see if I can get a better deal anywhere else.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ranger Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    71
    No one on Oahu had a cobia and the mamba's are at MSRP and won't move.

  35. #35
    Perfectionist with ADHD!
    Reputation: ChewynMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    136
    I bought my Cobia from LBS in FL for $1059, but I did get $100 of add-ons. So I basically got a nice pump and a Node 5.1 computer!

    Love my bike BTW, who cares what it looks like, except when I'm catching air.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    34
    Sorry about resurrecting an old thread, but I have been looking at the same two bikes. A LBS has a 2012 Nine Sport on sale for $800, but I like the feel of the 2013 Cobia better. The new Cobia is $1129.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •