mtbr member
    May 2006

Felt Nine Pro vs Orbea Lanza..help me choose

I am going HT, I like HT as I'm a hard ass anyway. These are my two choices both are very well appointed in components and weigh within .5lb of each other, both below 26lbs. Both are within $100 of each other. The issues I see are: The 2007 Lanza has poor tire clearance but is scandium. The Felt is aluminum but has 2008 XT all around except for juicy 7 brakes. I will not be able to test ride either bike before purchase. I currently ride a Giant piece of "you name it" Ranier HT that weighs 32lbs, but don't see a problem with aluminum, because I probably don't know any better. What do u think?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yes, the 07 Lanza had VERY poor rear tire clearance. With the stock Bonty 2.1 ACX tires, I wore nearly halfway through both chainstays in very little time. During that time, the rear wheel dish and spoke tension was checked twice, and found to be perfect. Maybe the clearance has changed for 08?
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    The Lanza is scandium?? You may want to double-check that, if frame material is going to be your deciding factor. I agree with kosmo on the tire clearance issue, but I loved the ride of mine. I ran Kenda SM-8s and Crossmarks...no tire rub, but not much room left over.

You could, however, just buy my Alama 29er frame and be done with it. ;-)

J

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I have owned two lanza 29ers and found them to be very good frames. I ran Maxxis Ignitors and Kenda Karmas, no clearance problems with either tire.

The Lanza is 7005 aluminum.

JMH