mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Felt Nine Comp or Cobia?

Any comparisons on these two? I can't find ones to try out, so I may need to order one.

Similar in price, both have decent componemts, both seem to get good reviews.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    besides fit and feel, compare the components and fork. do you prefer shimano over sram? i have the cobia and like it but the felt seems decent too. i'd be hesitant to buy one without riding it first- or at least a similar bike. maybe see if you can find a paragon or xcal to see how it fits and feels to even see if you like it (same frame as the cobia).
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have ridden both and i went with the fisher...although i ended up going with the x-cal.

I decided against the felt just because of fit. It "felt" (sorry ) kind of cramped.to me when riding the two side by side. i liked the g2 geo of the fisher too. You really can notice the difference.

Other than that i would go with which one you like the look of better because they are both good bikes and you would honestly get used to the fit of either. If you buy it and hate the fit you can always change around stem/bars and such

mtbr member
    I tried the Fishers (Cobia, X-Cal, and one other) and the Felt along with a bunch of others last summer (09). All the GFs felt sort of dead to me but the Felt was incredible. The right combination of comfort, quickness and stiffness. I love it. Handles great, goes uphill like a raped ape and doesn't beat me up on long rides.

I bought the Race, so XT components but the same frame. I love my Felt!!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    I tried the Fishers (Cobia, X-Cal, and one other) and the Felt along with a bunch of others last summer (09). All the GFs felt sort of dead to me but the Felt was incredible. The right combination of comfort, quickness and stiffness. I love it. Handles great, goes uphill like a raped ape and doesn't beat me up on long rides.

I bought the Race, so XT components but the same frame. I love my Felt!!
    Thanks for the comments. The Comp is a 2010, not being made this year. For 2011, they have the Sport for $900, then the Race for $2k. The Sport doesn't have as good of components as the Comp. I wish they had something in between the Race and the Sport. That's why I'm looking at the Comp, but I don't know if I can find one.
    Last edited by DirtDiver; 10-30-2010 at 09:36 AM.

mtbr member
    According to their website, the Sport is between the Comp and the Race at $900.

They're all the same frame... which means you can upgrade the components to your liking... and budget!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    According to their website, the Sport is between the Comp and the Race at $900.

They're all the same frame... which means you can upgrade the components to your liking... and budget!
    I think the Comp is between the Sport and the Race, right? But no Comp for 2011.

mtbr member
    Hmmm.... I was just going on the prices you posted. But you're right, doesn't look like there's a Comp for this year.

The frames are all the same; it's just the component level that is different.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hmmm.... I was just going on the prices you posted. But you're right, doesn't look like there's a Comp for this year.

The frames are all the same; it's just the component level that is different.
    No Comp. Just the Sport for $900 or the Race for $2k. They should have something in the middle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i just got a gary fisher mamba. same frame as the cobia. i also tried the cobia, and both felt very right for me (5 11 pretty average everything). I haven't tried the other one, but i like the fit of the gary fisher. i would recommend doing everything you can to find one of each and ride them. lots of bikes get good reviews because they fit the people properly. it is hard to tell which will be better for you online