mtbr member
    Jul 2018

New question here. Feedback on SC Hightower LT build options???

Hi All. I am re-entering the MTB world after only poking around the campground with my kids for the last several years. I'd like to move up to a nice trail 29er from my old 26" bike. From reading a lot of reviews and pedaling around the bike shop, I'm really liking the Santa Cruz Hightower LT. I don't have a ton of money, so I felt like the 2019 S build was a good compromise of cost to build options. It's almost another $2k to go to the CC XO1 and that sounds like a lot, but I do see almost a pound and half of weight savings and of course better quality components.

Can anyone provide feedback on if they bought the S build and felt like they had to start doing upgrades right away, or is the S sufficient and a good deal? I ended up having to upgrade from X7 shifters and X9 derailleur to XO on my last bike because of the bad component performance, but maybe the newer GX stuff is a lot better?

A little background on me if it helps:
    I am 65 and about 225lbs without gear.
    Live and ride in NorCal. Mostly ride Auburn area and some Tahoe trails.
    Had an SC bullet about 10-12 years ago with a Totem fork and Fox DHX Coil shock. Loved bombing down hills on that thing, but hated climbing on it. I don't love climbing, but nothing wrong with earning the turns. So, back in 2012 I sold the Bullet and got a Specialized Enduro Comp. As soon as I got the Enduro I went to Downieville and immediately was disappointed in the way new bike made me feel less in control and less confident. It seemed to just not be as solid and too light in the front. Also, the low quality components were a letdown as mentioned earlier.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
    -Don

mtbr member
    I have the 2018 S build and it's totally sufficient. The only thing I upgraded was the bars (to 800mm). The Eagle GX is fine. I think they had some issues when it first came out but seems solid now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Same. 2018 S build, the only change I will do immediately will be carbon bar. GX performs flawlessly thus far. I would say as well as my X01 1X11 on my previous bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    jeremy3220 and rhale - exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for he feedback!