mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Favor to Ask of Gravity Bike Owners

I'm trying to get to the bottom of the frame size discrepancy issue with the Efective Top Tube length (ETT) on Gravity 29er bikes, because I'd like to buy one. There have been multiple people that have actually measured their ETT and find it to be MUCH shorter than advertised. Would you be willing to measure the ETT on YOUR Gravity G29 or 29point1-5 and report the ETT length? Also post the model and size.

Attached is how Trek measures their ETT which is who Gravity openly shares they are mimicking in their geometry:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ufdah; 10-31-2012 at 02:47 PM.

mtbr member

We the people ...

I'll post the results of this thread here as they come in.

Actual measurements:

XL
    23.75" (G29 SS - mazey)
    23.5" (G29 SS - Sasquatch1413)

And just so we know what things are suppposed to look like, here is the current advertised Gravity bike geometry chart. This is supposedly the same for both the G29 single speed and 29point1 - 29point 5 bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Favor to Ask of Gravity Bike Owners-gravity_29er_geo.gif  

Last edited by Ufdah; 10-30-2012 at 06:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Here is a reply from mazey on the G29 SS thread:

Quote Originally Posted by mazey View Post
    ETT on the large is actually about 23".
    ETT on the XL is actually about 23.75"
    Standover is pretty close to their chart.
    I got a large first & returned it for the XL.
    Last edited by Ufdah; 10-30-2012 at 06:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Gravity G29 SS XL, measured my ETT at about 23.5 inches.

mtbr member
    Just to clarify, that's a G29 SS right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ufdah View Post
    Just to clarify, that's a G29 SS right?
    Yes, Edited.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I will measure my 17.5" G29P1 tonight..

mtbr member
    I just measured a 21" Trek Marlin at the bike shop and it measured correctly at 25.3" ETT

mtbr member
    I also just received an email from the BikesDirect service center stating that the 21" frame size is the same as mazey measured 23.75" not 25.3" as advertised.

I would really like for someone to measure a 29point1-5 bike to see if they are the same or if it's only the single speed bikes that are off...

Cassoulet forever !
    ETT lenght is useless on a gravity bike, you should compare frame by REACH and STACK.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    ETT lenght is useless on a gravity bike, you should compare frame by REACH and STACK.
    I'm not trying to be mean but are you serious? Why is it ETT the most important measurement according to virtually every bike manufacturer and fitter but useless on Gravity bikes?

I understand that knowing these two measurements would help understand the actual differences between the Trek and Gravity frames but the simplest competent way to size a bike is by the ETT measurement. Which, whether you measure from the middle of the stem attachment (like Trek) or the top of the head tube will be virtually the same distance.

beater
    I think 20.100 FR may have been thinking gravity bike rather than a Gravity brand bike.

That said, I do agree that reach/stack is more useful for predicting how a frame will fit you. ETT also depends on the seat tube angle, whereas reach doesn't. My hardtail has a ETT that's 12mm (0.5") longer than the ETT on my full suspension frame. But the reach is 8mm shorter, and the cockpit feels shorter as a result. That 8mm is what I notice.

People are more used to thinking about ETT, and it works to a degree as a quick-and-dirty estimate. It's not necessarily the most useful measurement any more, though. When STAs vary from frame to frame as they commonly do now, it's less useful. It's similar to the way consumers and manufacturers both fixated on megapixels for digital cameras, when it really wasn't the best predictor of photo quality.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.