Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    A Surly Maverick

... and if we just ... 'Fat/snow/sand bike' thread! Lets see and hear about those Big is Beautiful Steeds!

I notice there has been a few of these comming out of the woodwork recently.

Would love to see and hear more about them.

Thanks,
    Dr FG.
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member

DeSalvo

Here you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Here's a couple more versions, a WildFire and a Vicious Cycles, both residents of Alaska.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Just wondering; has anyone here put a Pugsley fork on a regular 29er, so that there's an endomorph up front and a regular tire at the back?

Like the Jeff Jones fatty-in-front bike:

tiny rider
    Quote Originally Posted by helgi
    Just wondering; has anyone here put a Pugsley fork on a regular 29er, so that there's an endomorph up front and a regular tire at the back?

SlowerThanSnot's Blacksheep:

Harmonius Wrench

Another DeSalvo

Not my bike, but I thought it was gorgeous and I liked the 2X9 set up it has. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cartographer
    SlowerThanSnot's Blacksheep
    Nice!

Comes to around $450 for the fork, wheel and tire...

Hmm

btw., is that a large marge at the back as well?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

I did that. I bought the the whole front set-up with pugsley fork. Then kept waiting for a deal on a Raliegh XXIX, never happened. So I bought a Karate Monkey. Had a great name for the bike, the Punkey, but never liked the way it handled on the trail. Sand fine, singletrack not so great. So I sold the KM frame and am currently looking into a friend doing some fork mods or just ordering a custom fork from somewhere. I'll put that set-up on one of the other frames I have. Sorry I never took pics of the bike.

AOF
    soft / 34/ married
    It thought about doing the Pugs fork on the KM or other 29er, but the A to C height is quite different (19mm or 0.75 inches). This could be why some are reporting unfavorable trail handling.

KM:468mm
    Pugs: 447mm
    Salsa:468mm

-Dan
    Southern NH NEMBA & My LBS & My Blog & Single Speed Alliance

Take advantage of every opportunity to ride your bicycle!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah that's why I was looking for a Raliegh XXIX. It's a non-suspension corrected frame. About the same A-C. If you look at the pugs it has a 70deg HA. versus the nearly 73deg I probably ended up with. It rode pretty well on flat stuff. Downhills (especially when braking) and standing climbing were a bad idea though. I'm glad the punkey was also my experiment with a nexus hub in back instead of my usual singlespeed.

This place needs an enema

For soft-snow riding, this just doesn't make any sense--the rider's weight is mostly on the back wheel, and as such the back wheel is the one that needs the extra volume to keep it floating. In places where people ride/race snow a lot (AK comes to mind) 99.9% of the time you'll see the skinnier rim and narrower tire up front. Putting the fatty up front doesn't really net you anything other than extra mass to push and a 'gee whiz, lookit mee' factor.

Unless you're doing shuttle rides and riding down mostly doing a nose wheelie?!

MC

P.S. Digging through the archives in search of photos...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've never ridden in much snow and never with big tires, but I definitely noticed that sensation when on softer sand with the endomorph up front. Or even any other time I've ridden in sand or snow on my regular width tires. The back end just kept sinking in and slowing me down or throwing off steering. My endomorph up front only was in the same vein as Jeff Jones, as a way to get some passive suspension. Not for any sort of sand or snow riding. And it sure was cushy. Just have to work on the handling.
    Last edited by slowridemo; 12-03-2007 at 10:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Yeah, maybe this fatty in front thing isn't such a good idea. Was entertaining the idea of maybe taking my El Mariachi out for some glacier action, but not so sure I'd have much luck with the nose wheelie!

Come to think of it I don't even think the Jones is intended for snowbiking, more of a general funbike with extra cush up front.

Regarding that A to C length, I imagine the fork would then have a similar effect on an El Mar as it did with the Monkey?

Nice!
    No pun intended there, btw. :)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Fatback

check out these homegrown AK fatback bikes on the Alaska forum here: FATBACK ti snowbike photos and info

mtbr member
    I just built up a 1x1 w/ a Pug fork, LM rims, Endo front tire and a Serfas 3.0 rear tire. Sorry no pics right now. I got it in snow a few times last week, probably between 5-8 inches of fresh fluffy stuff. It floated well, and I was amazed at what I could still climb, but the front seemed to be washing out a lot easier than my Rampages.

mtbr member

I have put a regular 29er on the back of my DeSalvo and tried it after seeing JJ's. Worked okay but I prefer either both ends fat or skinny and not a mix. The endos make riding roots, washouts, sand and other similar terrain so much easier that the trade off in sluggishness is worth it. Still have not taken the bike to real mountains yet and they may not work well there.

tiny rider
    Nice!

Comes to around $450 for the fork, wheel and tire...

Hmm

btw., is that a large marge at the back as well?
    Yeah, I think that's a large marge rim with some shaved 26" DH tire on the back. Just for the record.

Quote Originally Posted by cartographer
    Yeah, I think that's a large marge rim with some shaved 26" DH tire on the back. Just for the record.
    WTB Timberwolf 2.5.

No, that's not phonetic

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    awesome thread

Avenger of Evil
    This is not mine. I think it belongs to a board member.
    I just think it looks cool.

wintermoots.jpg
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    99.9% of the time you'll see the skinnier rim and narrower tire up front. Putting the fatty up front doesn't really net you anything other than extra mass to push and a 'gee whiz, lookit mee' factor.
    My son and I solved that this weekend. His idea. We'd just gotten back from his first real snow ride, and he was full of it. we're messing around in the barn, and he says, "Dad, can we put a ski on the front? It'd steer much better." So, one old ski, a 12" 4x4 chunk screwed to it, with a hole drilled for a solid axle, and he's ripping the yard up with a big 'ol sh#t eating grin. Ah, father son time.....

Rode my Pug for the first time last night in the stuff too, what a friggin blast that thing is!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Good things come in threes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    How do you guys solve crank clearance? Standard BB, extra wide BB (83mm, 100mm?) etc?

is buachail foighneach me
    tscheezy, are your ski boots somehow spd compatible? or are you just riding on top of them in that pic?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast