mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Fat fork on ugly steel rigid cheap bike, pretty similar to Jeff Jones in geometry?

Iíve been on a 29er since 2004. Nowadays I live in an area with beautiful beech forests but that can turn pretty muddy during late autumn and early spring. With wife, three kids, a dog, house and a full time job I more and more have turned to bikes that just work and are simple to deal with.

My forest bike these days is a Zion 29er EBB size small with a Surly karate monkey fork up front. An alfine in the back has kept things simple the last three years and is very nice to have when taking the dog out for a ride in the forest. Being able to change gears track standing has saved me many times when our dog makes an unusual decision. I am 184cm tall but actually prefer eff. top tube lengths of about 590mm. It looks bad but it rides the way I like it. The one thing I would like to test and then maybe change is to add a fat front for some extra cushion.

The other day I overlaid a photo of a Jeff Jones fat front steel bike, just to get a hint on my bikes geometry and the changes a fat front would induce. I was pretty surprised to see that the two bikes are not that far of geometry wise. My ugly one has slightly longer top tube and wheel base together with a steeper front end/shorter rake.

My question to you all is what fat front fork you suggest for my bike? Iíd prefer not to change the geometry by much.

Btw, yes it is mud on the seatpost
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat fork on ugly steel rigid cheap bike, pretty similar to Jeff Jones in geometry?-imag0393.jpg  

Fat fork on ugly steel rigid cheap bike, pretty similar to Jeff Jones in geometry?-lagerp%E5lager.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    That last picture...

workin' it Administrator
    If the Salsa Enabler is close to your current forks A-to-C then get that fork. It is reasonably priced, readily available at most bike shops and uses a rear specific hub so if you want to get a cheap wheel together you can build it up from most any rear disc hub or grab a surly new single speed hub for cheap.

The rake and short stays of the Jones makes all the difference in those bikes giving a shorter TT and putting more weight over the rear of the bike.

A fat front will take a little getting used to but is a really unique ride. If you need flotation though more than comfort the disparity between the 2 tire sizes might leave much to be desired and perhaps you should look at getting a pugsley complete (they come up in the classifieds here occasionally Snowblind Surly Pugsley Fatbike - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories). The cost of the wheel, tire and fork could get you considerably close to a complete pugsley which might be more what you are looking for. Get a second set of wheels for off season and you would be set.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I thank you for your reply Rockcrusher, I really appreciate it. Your reasoning seems valid. The answer to your question about floatation vs. comfort is comfort. The passages where the comfort is sub optimal are rather sparse. With that in mind I will first convert into tubeless enabling the usage of even less bars in my tires, WTB WW Lt 2.5/Geax saguaro 2.2. If that does not work out for me I will try the splendid Salsa fork you mentioned.
    /P

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepperagge View Post
    I thank you for your reply Rockcrusher, I really appreciate it. Your reasoning seems valid. The answer to your question about floatation vs. comfort is comfort. The passages where the comfort is sub optimal are rather sparse. With that in mind I will first convert into tubeless enabling the usage of even less bars in my tires, WTB WW Lt 2.5/Geax saguaro 2.2. If that does not work out for me I will try the splendid Salsa fork you mentioned.
    /P
    That is a great tire combo, the saguaro is a nice rear tire and the WW LT is a huge casing front tire. Tubeless is a really nice conversion and will really increase your tires sensitivity and compliance in my opinion and experience.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    it looks like the back wheel is 29er and the front is 26er...add fat tire on the front. Why not experiment with add 26 wheel with fat tire and see how it work?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You will find the fat really enjoyable. It's very much worth the investment if you want to remain rigid.

As rockcrusher already said the main difference between them is mostly in the front end and wheelbase. I love my Jones. But you should enjoy your changes too.

mtbr member

Surly Karate Gorilla

I shoe horned a Endomorph 3.7 on a 2" rim into a Karate Monkey stock fork, A 3" DH tire is the biggest I could Squeeze in the rear. It's got me rolling fat for now. Seems pretty Sweet to me but I got nothing to compare it with.
    . Later, mike
    . www.geekonabike.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Odd. The geometry looks nothing alike to me.