Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fastest xc mtb?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Fastest xc mtb?

If riding mostly non technical XC, which FS 29er bike would you recommend? Price range between $4,000-$6,000.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Expensive != fast / Good rider == fast kemosabi

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I don't like fast much, I don't race and I'm out there to enjoy the ride. That being said if your looking for fast on non-technical xc you want a carbon hard tail not a FS.

mtbr member
    Carbon 29er hard tail may be the way to go, Santa Cruz Carbon Highball. If non technical terrain you won't need a FS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Whichever bike the winner is ridding.
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    The one with the best motor...every time...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chinadill View Post
    If riding mostly non technical XC, which FS 29er bike would you recommend? Price range between $4,000-$6,000.

Mine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    niner air 9 rdo with rdo fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    fastest means most expensive. otherwise, there are many good options.

you might want to look at the BMC fourstroke in the sram XO build. I think that's in your budget and has one of the best carbon xc frames out there.

the bike is also pretty versatile and kicks ass as a trail bike, despite it's XC intentions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Turner Czar or Specialized Epic or Fisher Superfly 100.

For an absolutely pure race machine, I think the Epic might beat the Czar by a nose on smooth courses.

On bumpier courses, or as an endurance racer, I give the nod to the Czar (and you don't have to pay for the quite expensive and kind of frequent brain servicing).
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Using your criteria, I would say the Specialized Epic Expert Evo would be the money shot you're looking for. Fast, hard tailish when it's smooth but just squishy enough when the non-techy stuff you prefer.
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

Viva la Vida!

Fastest xc mtb?

Jet 9 rdo.
    Ftmfw!
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    Pretty sure mine's the fastest, and I'll sell it to you on the low end of your price range.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Dive Bomber
    Bike are not fast Cyclists are fast.
    I want a fast bike - YouTube

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    Carbon 29er hard tail may be the way to go, Santa Cruz Carbon Highball. If non technical terrain you won't need a FS.
    I do ride some slightly technical, root pothole, rocky, terrain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've always figured someone dropping that amount of money on a bike would be experienced enough to have a solid idea about what bike they want. Choices? Sure. Difficulty in deciding? Of course. But at least narrowed down, somewhat, instead of this vague inquiry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by randob300 View Post
    I've always figured someone dropping that amount of money on a bike would be experienced enough to have a solid idea about what bike they want. Choices? Sure. Difficulty in deciding? Of course. But at least narrowed down, somewhat, instead of this vague inquiry.
    I am looking real hard at a new 2012 SC TallboyC or Superlight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Would also consider Czar, Epic, or Jet 9 RDO. I'm just looking for some input from you guys. Thanks.
    I am looking real hard at a new 2012 SC TallboyC or Superlight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Both the Santa Cruz and Niner are both great frames. You can't go wrong there. Make your choice based on what you want! You'll end up satisfied if you pick out what you want to ride not what any of us say..

One thing I will say.. You should build a frame up with all the goodies you like if you're really dropping that much coin. It will be more expensive if you pay retail all the compenents plus the frame. You can save a ton of money if you can shop Pinkbike for parts. Lots of riders are selling stuff brand new really cheap. Find some good sales too. You will be stoked to ride that thing if you choose every component. Nothing turns me against a sale of a particular bicycle than first looking at a $4000+ price tag then seeing Bontrager handlebars, Roval wheels or any other in house junk speced out

Be sure to post a picture of your new ride whatever you do!
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 29er 1.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Trek Superfly 100
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Specialized S-Works Epic 29
    Turner Czar
    Felt Edict 9 SL
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Rocky Mountain 999 RSL

What do they have in common? They are all under 25 pounds! There you have it - and I have ridden them ALL....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Hands down the Specialized Epic is the bike to have read ANY review of the bike read ANY test of the bike and the epic 29" bike can't be beat.

In just this months issue of Velo news the S Works Epic trounced the Trek superfly 100, Felt edict 9 ltd and the Niner jet9 rdo bikes in every category.

you can get the epic expert carbon comp for in your price range if you can still find a 2013 and you can look on eBay and get a 2011 or 2012 S Works epic in your price range.

If you can get the front and rear "brains" in sync on the epic the faster you go the better the bike gets it's that good...

The Specialized haters will come out of the woodwork with my recommendation but there is no 29" full suspension bike currently in production that can beat the Specialized epic PERIOD.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    If riding mostly non technical XC
    It's that mostly that bothers me. Buy a bike that suits 90% of the riding you do. You thought of going for something like a ROS 9 or a Stache 8 over the FS options?
    Sure you can spend $4,000-$6,000 but why would you if you don't have to?
    Yeti SB66a - 2013
    Trek Fuel EX 9 - 2012
    Trek Superfly Elite AL - 2013

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Problem with the Epic - 9mm QR front and high-maintenance, proprietary Brain....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Problem with the Epic - 9mm QR front and high-maintenance, proprietary Brain....
    There are special (i don't know the exact name) "wider" equals more surface area on the roval wheel axle end caps to interface with the rock shox fork drop outs I've been on a S Works epic since 2011 and never have had wheel/fork flex issues perhaps the 2014's will have thru axles perhaps not this is a XC race bike not and "all mountain" bike and not intended or designed to ride the type of terrain that would require a thru-axle fork.

We currently have three bikes with specialized brain's in our fleet 2011 S Work epic, 2013 S Works epic and a 2013 S Works stumpjumper the 2011 had the fork and the rear shock sent into Specialized for factory service in December of 2012 for a total of a week turnaround which is about the same as sending in a fork or shock to Push Industries. Approximately every 12 to 18 months you should send in the brain equipped suspension to have it serviced.

If your serious enough rider that is spending $5000, $7000, $10,000 on a mtb then the cost of basic yearly maintenance should not be an issue. As with any high end performance bicycle, motorcycle or automobile the cost of maintenance should always be factored in and expected.

First Impressions: Specialized S-Works Epic 29er

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast