Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Bored
    A bit of a hijack, but could Specialized be releasing this tire in part because philip Mierhagger (Or how ever you spell his name), will be returning to racing this year and riding for specialized?

Maybe he wants a 29'er?
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Recovering couch patato
    Filip Meirhaeghe I think. He wanted a 29"er for Athens, that's why the tire exist. Didn't they sack him on the spot after being tested positive on EPO?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    Sweet!

So, how are these tires in the NW winter wet and mud? Not that we've had a lot of that lately, but we might by the time I've got a bike rolling. I'm talking western Washington stuff here.

Thanks!
    -Ian
    Slight revision: I did ride the FTs in fresh, wet snow that turned to soupy sand "mud" to wet harpack at the Bend Big Fat Tour in October. Not slick or sticky mud at all. The tires were great.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Didn't they sack him on the spot after being tested positive on EPO?
    Yes indeed.

Is his racing ban lifting now? I guess I wouldn't be too surprised to see him come back but I highly doubt Specialized would take him back. He cost them a lot of dinero when he got busted. Of course he made them a lot too by winning on an Epic.

Back on topic, I can't wait to try these tires! Oh yeah, I can't wait to ride a 29er!

Slight revision: I did ride the FTs in fresh, wet snow that turned to soupy sand "mud" to wet harpack at the Bend Big Fat Tour in October. Not slick or sticky mud at all. The tires were great.
    Thanks for the revision Shiggy, but I'm going to have to say the mud in Bend is nothing like the mud on the other side of the cascades.

Hmmm, I miss Bend. Lived there for a couple years in the early 90's as a student/athlete at COCC. Boy was the riding great there. There I go off topic again.

Cheers!
    -Ian

Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    ...Thanks for the revision Shiggy, but I'm going to have to say the mud in Bend is nothing like the mud on the other side of the cascades...
    Exactly my point (not slick or sticky). Plus the lack of many roots. It was wet and sloppy though and for some people it is "mud".
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Good job! My .02 bits....

Like Shig said - In STICKY Mud these won't be too friendly, on Tacky trails these things rock! They also haven't given me fits on wet roots either, as long as you hit them relatively square. Climbing traction I think is just fine - On hardpack with loose over the top & loose/imbedded rocks to steep fireroads with loose loam/sand they work well, it's more about technique IMO. Tire wear has been fantastic too, as some others have said - This tire is one of the many great things to happen to 29" wheeled bikes recently.

elbow gloves

stans?

has anybody tried stans with these? I've used it on specialized 26" tires with great success, i'm just wondering about the bead?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've used it on the 26" version and haven't needed to reseat or add any sealant in 9 months. I've needed to add air about once a month. Now granted that's one person opinion but wow.

Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    I've used it on the 26" version and haven't needed to reseat or add any sealant in 9 months. I've needed to add air about once a month. Now granted that's one person opinion but wow.
    History has shown that the 26" and 29" versions of the same tire may not work the same with DIY tubeless.
    mtbtires.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3