mtbr member
    May 2005

Fast Trak 29 x 2.0

Who is running Fast Trak tires on their 29ers?

What are the Pros?

What are the Cons?

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    Who is running Fast Trak tires on their 29ers?

What are the Pros?

What are the Cons?
    Pros: light-ish, good traction, fast-ish rolling
    Cons: some complain of washing out when it's on the front. i've never experienced it.

I've run it up front on my Leviathan and my Vulture for about 500 miles. I like it.

Donkey felt the durometer of the rubber was too soft and when leaned over it would fold and give out. I have not noticed this.

I want to try it on my SS on the rear. Seems like it would be great.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Pros: light-ish, good traction, fast-ish rolling
    Cons: some complain of washing out when it's on the front. i've never experienced it.

I've run it up front on my Leviathan and my Vulture for about 500 miles. I like it.

Donkey felt the durometer of the rubber was too soft and when leaned over it would fold and give out. I have not noticed this.

I want to try it on my SS on the rear. Seems like it would be great.
    Thanks Padre!

How do the Fast Trak's compare to Ignitors?

mtbr member
    Fat volume. Decent tread. I've used both in pairs and rear only. Like them either way. If you're dealing with softer, deeper soils I'd got Ignitor front, Fastrak rear.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr member
    In another thread I wrote:

Now that I have the Fast Trak Pro 29x2.00 on both front and back I would say
    compared to the IRC Mythos I was running:

a) Much lower rolling resistance. Even on the garage floor rolling the bike,
    but it seems also true on the trail in all conditions (smooth, rocky, technical.)
    Enough that I am doing less work going up.

b) Bike seems to have a tighter turning radius, tight switch backs have more
    play. Tighter quicker handling. Both in switch backs, and also just zooming
    back and forth. KM is I guess quick, but the Fast Traks make it even quicker.
    Could tell the handling on the bike was very odd running the Fast Trak in
    the back, and the Mythos in the front.

Can't say about other tires (just the old IRC Mythos) but I am liking this tire
    even though it throws stones.

The Fast Trak has two known down sides (that I am aware of). Does not give
    any more clearance on a Karate Monkey (over the IRC), and picks up and throws
    pea size gravel.

-r

Riding in Colorado, rocks rocks and dust and sweet single track.

-r

And He was Not
    Didn't like them up front when pushed hard in corners. I DO like having one in the rear. They role very nicely. Fall is coming so I might have to remove it for something with a little more bite. Kinda reminds me of a Python.

Riding in NC. Rooty, hardpack with a few rocks. Soon to be covered with wet slick leaves.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ran the FT's front & rear at the Chequamegon Fat 40 on Saturday and they performed very well in non-technical, dry, loose conditions. Fast rolling, excellent climbing traction on loose rocky ascents (Fire Tower Hill), volume is a bonus, ran them at 33F/31R PSI tubed on Delgado Discs on a Dos Niner with Reba. They also remind me of Pythons and this is why I chose them as I ran Python UST's on the 26" bike for this race in previous years. As for cornering traction, I think it is very good for a tread of this design, but there are grabbier tires (Ignitor, ACX) if max cornering traction is what you are after. I had a washout on an off-camber silt-covered hard-packed high-speed tight singletrack corner earlier this year. I guess I should have scrubbed some of the gained speed off before entering the turn! I chalk it up to pilot error.
    [SIZE=3]Flombe[/SIZE]

Recovering Weight Weenie
    The volume of the FT and the Ign is very similar.

I like them both performance wise.

The Ignitor durometer seems harder to me, so not quite as grippy. Ba-a-a-rely though.

mtbr member
    I run the FT's F & R right now in So Cal, and I'm liking them on both ends. I like the weight for the performance.

They are definitely my rear tire of choice, but I will probably try some of the new offerings up front when they're available.

Recovering couch patato
    For our artificial or sandy trails, I like the FT, but it's not "super special".
    I already had this impression before owning them, but still think they shine most in dust over hardpack. More sand or gravel, and other tires have an edge. Less dust, and faster tires step forward. Wetter, and narrower or knobbies ones are chosen.

I like the Fast Traks as pretty dependable dry-weather racers for my trail conditions. No special climbing traction anywhere, but very clear warnings of letting go all around. Front tracks pretty good through deep sand, often a factor for me.

Noisy on pavement. About as fast as Nanoraptors. Better at all except climbing traction, in my experience.

mtbr member

A Very Good Tire

i've been riding on these (& others) for almost a year now & i've really come to like them. for as big as they are, the FastTrak's seem fairly light. also, they're fairly durable & they were great this past weekend when i rode the FireWater 50 on my Salsa Dos Niner in the North GA mountains (Cohutta Wildnerness). that big volume gives ya plenty of pinch-flat protection, comfort & all-around confidence when bombing down rocky trails. i'll be buying more when this set wears out. they were also great while riding Trail #301 in Fort Mountain State Park.
    Steve in Tallahassee, FL
    Think Big, Live Large: Ride a 29er.

mtbr member
    On smooth gravelly Colorado single track they really spray rocks onto the drivetrain.
    Yesterday was like almost like a music or a bear bell And the front is
    like a car tire, picking up and holding rocks in the tread.

Centennial Cone Park GPS track?

For a view of the ride in various pictures.

-r

mtbr member
    I'm liking mine as well. It's all I've ridden on my Dos though so take a spoonful of salt with this comment.

No I haven't searched and I will but it's a Fast Track question...

Has anyone run these tubeless on the Salsa Delgado disc rims? If so, details of your setup would be great. Also, have you had any trouble with it?

Thanks,
    -Ian

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have run the Fast Tracks front and rear all summer and have loved them. My only complaint is thin sidewalls. I have about 2000 miles in on these tires on three different bikes (not the same tire for 2k!) and have had three sidewall tears that stans would not seal. The tires that had torn sidewalls are all just fine with tubes, just not tubless, and I have not bothered to try and patch the sidewall. The tread has proven to be fast rolling, durable and grippy, and the volume is close the Exiwolf

Last week I put Exiwolfs back on my Sugar since that is the tire I will most likely run at the 24 hours of Moab, and I dont want to deal with flats. The Exi's make the Sugar feel like a freeride bike they are so damn heavy compared to how the bike rides with Fast Tracks. I also feel like the Fast Tracks grip a little better cornering and climbing, but for me the difference was negligible. I imagine that the thinner casing makes a more supple tire. With the Exi's I can bomb downhills with impunity, which is nice. I did ride Fast Tracks at the 24 Hours of Spokane, the Cream Puff, and the E100 without flats, but I ride the downhills differently than I do on the Exi Wolf. Unless you are looking for a tire that is more towards bomberproof than racy I give the Fast Tracks a big thumbs up.