Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    32h in 559mm is perfect whereas in 622mm 36h is perfect thus using 32h in 622mm is not perfect as simple as that, so why 32h in 622mm for mtb exist? right, you can make a 4h rim but such rim would have to weight a tone.
    You need more mountain bike between your legs and less between your ears.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

don't tread on me
    Jun 2004
    DT TK7.1 laced w DT 14/15 ga spokes (natch) to DT 340 hubs. 32h 3x lacing. I'm 235 and ride aggressive xc. A fine balance of weight and strength - do wish they were 5mm wider in cross section - stiffens up the tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    You need more mountain bike between your legs and less between your ears.
    I see it like this in 559mm you have certain distance between 32 spokes if you build a 622mm with 32 this distance is wider so the wheel is wekear and flexier. If you put 4 extra psokes -36- then you reduce the distance between spokes paying the weight penalty which is worth (unless prfi racing) it is like 20-25 grams a wheel. You get a 12,4% stiffer/stronger wheel. It was mentioned 12,5% is this correct?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

KH 29 inch rims far superior to DT Swiss

Replaced my taco'd DT Swiss (was it a bogus build, or is DT just not up to riding 29 fixed with a 190lb rider?) with bomber Kris Holm rims after only 1 month of riding my Karate Monkey fixed gear, which places a lot more weight on the front wheel in down hill situations.

I hammered the same KH rim on my mountain uni, so I can ride it with confidence. Both front and back are now KH 29 rims.

Your LBS will not understand the issues when you say you want something to hammer hard on and not fall apart (but they can't figure out that mountain uni is far more rad and stressful on the parts than the two wheeled version....).

mtbr member
    The first rule of the 29er forums is to disregard davidcopafeel with extreme prejudice. The world will benefit from said behavior.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    The first rule of the 29er forums is to disregard davidcopafeel with extreme prejudice. The world will benefit from said behavior.
    It (DC) has been on my ignore list for a long time. My mind still gets unwanted doses of it's alleged thoughts by many folk who quote what it posts.

It's a troll, yes quite possibly the strangest one yet, but still a troll.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

root killer
    Oct 2004
    What might one recommend for heavy-duty and light in the same package?

I'm 195 lbs and currently on I-9's with ZTR Arch rims... the rear needs constant adjusting. Spoke tensions are correct, the rear rim is just not enough... front ZTR Arch rim is holding fine. Was considering a Flow for the rear but don't know if its gonna be enough. Wanna stay light though and I'm new to the 29'ers.

*planning to build a new set upon the release of the new Reba 20mm thru axle fork, probably gonna hold off on the rear until then also so I've got time to research.

Captain Underpants
    Since it is now a sticky, here's my setup:

Hope Pro II's (36h f/r)
    Sun RhynoLites
    DT Swiss Comps with brass nips.

After a year of use, the front is in need of a minor true. the rear is still in true. Not bad for a 260# rider who likes running over things.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I am planning to build up a full suspension 29er this year and I already have a set of wheels I won at the Fruita Fat Tire Fest last year. I won a DT Swiss wheelset. Knowing I was building a 29er in the future, I chose the 29er wheelset. DT Swiss built up a 32 hole (36 hole not available) 29er DT Swiss wheelset with the 340 hubs. Anyway, I am a 230 lbs pound cross country rider from MN who takes occasional mtn biking trips out west. Will these hold up for me? Am I crazy to use these? As we all know, building a bike is expensive and I'd love to use these wheels since they are already in my basement ready to go.

mtbr member

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by RYNOFREERIDE
    DT Swiss built up a 32 hole (36 hole not available)
    Really?
    http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Comp...-7-1-gray.aspx

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It's a full DT Swiss build with DT Swiss rims, 340 disc hubs, and DT spokes. The rim is available in 32 and 36 hole, but the 340 hub which was part of the deal comes in only 32.

mtbr member
    the 340 hub which was part of the deal comes in only 32.
    For stiffness it is advisable to go with 36 no matter what is offered. If it is 32 only do not take a deal and drop them a mail that a fashion from 26ers doesn't translate into 29ers and they should consider more durable wheels for 29ers.
    Use 36 rims and get your wheels built by a scrupulous builder. I would do this. Between 32 and 36 there is little weight penalty. The rear wheel ought o be 36 holed due to the cassette. Front wheel is the only place where you can go with 32.
    Ask mikesee about wieght distribution onto spokes.

trail rat
    For stiffness it is advisable to go with 36 no matter what is offered.
    They were [SIZE="5"]FREE[/SIZE] wheels that he won! "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

Ask mikesee about wieght distribution onto spokes.
    An an extended "tour" for another month or so.

And Mikesee built my Hope Pro II with Stans Arch rims, 20mm TA front and bolt on rear with 32 hole double butted spokes and ALLOY nipples! I am 200 pounds, and 6'3" tall.

Wheels with 32 spokes are fine for those of us that ride more than we theorize about riding.

Show us a picture of your riding that you NEED 36 hole wheels, David!
    CCCMB web - Facebook

don't tread on me
    Jun 2004
    Don't worry about the dt wheelset holding up, RHYNOFREERIDE, I've got a tad bit of weight on you and have barreled thru rock gardens, hit 3' drops and have yet to need to true them - my wheelset is the same spec as the ones you won at Fruita. If DT built them, you've nothing to worry about.

Karl

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for all the responses so far! It's been informative.

Like I said, I won these in a drawing, that's the only reason I have them. I didn't want to look a gift-horse in the mouth.

trail rat
    Thanks for all the responses so far! It's been informative.

Like I said, I won these in a drawing, that's the only reason I have them. I didn't want to look a gift-horse in the mouth.
    Hope we have not muddied the waters.

Your wheels will work fine. Take DC and his theories with a grain of salt (see how I love those sayings? ). DC appears to be a thinker, but not a doer, so his opinions are suspect here on MTBR.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Hope we have not muddied the waters.

Your wheels will work fine. Take DC and his theories with a grain of salt (see how I love those sayings? ). DC appears to be a thinker, but not a doer, so his opinions are suspect here on MTBR.
    It's good to hear both sides. If I didn't have these wheels, I'd probably go with 36 hole Rhyno Lites. That's what I use on my current 26er hardtails and have never had a problem. Just needed some input before I considered using DT Swiss. I think I am going to go for it. I'm not an extreme rider. I'm just a cross country rider who hits some rock gardens. I'm not a big drops type of guy.

mtbr member
    I am not saying that a 29er wheel with 32 holes cannot be stiif however this same wheel with 36 spokes wil be stiffer and therefore will endure more abuse. For Lunchbox, Behemoth and WFO9 36 is a standard and mimicing the 26er trand towards 32 doesn't make mauch sense. Perhaps those, who switched f.e.x from arches to flows may be still be better off on 36 holed arches.

mtbr member
    hey slocaus, how are the Stan's holding up? I'm about your weight and a LBS suggested the ZTR's for my agressive XC style riding, in fact they ordered 1 rim already for my rear wheel because it's been out of true twice (Alex TD17 rims are crap!), forums suggest the 355, flows, and arch are high end.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnachos
    hey slocaus, how are the Stan's holding up? I'm about your weight and a LBS suggested the ZTR's for my agressive XC style riding, in fact they ordered 1 rim already for my rear wheel because it's been out of true twice (Alex TD17 rims are crap!), forums suggest the 355, flows, and arch are high end.
    Holding up great. This is the lightest, best riding MTB wheelset I have had (I bought my first MTB in 1979). I plan to convert my other three wheelsets, and I will never have wheels built without tubeless rims again. Answer your question?
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    May 2005
    can anyone comment on the durability of the crossmax 29ers?

i'm in slowly creeping towards 190 (currently 198 down from 235 a year ago). i ride a rigid SS and do so pretty agressively. i kinda think "no" based my weight, the way i ride and the fact it's going on an SS.

am i thinking right on this? i'd hate for these things to go all modern art on me.
    Last edited by bonefishjake; 03-11-2008 at 04:17 AM.

awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    I am building up some new Sun Equalizer 27mm 29er rims, they look real nice, I will give feed back once I am finished.
    Any news?

mtbr member
    I just rebuilt my rear wheel with Flow's 36h 29er. First time using Stan rims. I just noticed that there are NO eyelets! I have a hardtail so I went the cheap route and just replace the rear rim. How much abuse can the Flow's take in technical XC?

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Experience. The WTB DD FRs I've owned are still intact. Can not say that for the others built up similarly and employed in the same conditions.
    Agreed, no question there. But am curious, if you don't mind:

What spoke count?

Riding conditions? Bike?

Your weight?

Thanks in advance.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by YOOPER
    I"m 250lbs(big boned) and looking for some heavy duty 29er wheels. The weight of the wheel is not an issue, what's a couple of more pounds to push! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Over the last several years I've gravitated towards these rims for riders 225# and above:
    Kris Holm Uni rim (32 and 36)
    WTB DD FR (32 only)
    Sun Rhyno Lite (32 and 36)
    Stans Flow (32 and 36).

For various reasons, I don't use anything else for riders in this weight category. Some of the 'other' rims out there were OK but all of them had a glaring drawback (loose fitting tires, mainly) that kept me from re-ordering them.

I have limited time on a pre-production set of Salsa Gordo Disc rims and they look *very* promising for this application.

Cheers,

MC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast