mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Extra long seat post, or is my frame too small for me?

I just purchased a Giant XTC Composite in a XL frame and was fitted to the bike at my LBS, but when I got home I noticed that the seat post was almost an inch past the minimum line. I'm 6'4" (maybe a little taller) and I'm worried that the bike I just spent $1750 on might be too small.

Do you guys see this being an issue? Will the leverage that the seat post is putting on the composite frame be too much? Should I look for a longer seat post, or is the bike frame too small for me?

unrooted
    Buy this: wiggle.com | Thomson Elite Setback Seat Post | Seat Posts

If you want a more comfy and lighter ride then buy a 27.2 seatpost and one of these:Amazon.com: Problem Solvers 3.7mm Shim, 27.2 Seatpost to 30.9: Sports & Outdoors

I'm 6'4" and I have to run a longer than normal (350mm) seatpost.

MTB B'dos
    Measure what length the current post is now and then go order a longer one, you most definitely do not want a seatpost extended past it's MIN insertion mark, far less a whole inch past. I'd guess that it's only a 350mm post, and 410mm posts are easy to find. I'd actually call the shop and talk to the Manager and explain the situation and see if they won't swap the post out for you to a longer one FOC. At 6'4", NO, you should be very able to fit on this XL/22" bike, you might just have very long legs. FYI I'm 6'2.25" but have a 35.25" inseam and have always had to use a 410mm post to keep enough post in frames.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for your guys' input, it's much appreciated.

I just looked at crank brothers website and they sell a 400mm setback model cobalt. You think that would work? I'm usually a big fan of their products.

here's a link to it: ++ cobalt2 seatposts :: crankbrothers.com ++

I'm gonna talk to my LBS and see if they'll swap out the seat post or order me one for a good deal. The guy really should have said something when he was fitting me, but I also should have noticed it myself.

unrooted
    http://www.theclymb.com/all/5652/cra...s#style-494065

While you're there check out the carbon handlebar for $50.

My riding improved a ton by switching to a 700mm handlebar.

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, depending on how you like a bike to fit, there are a lot of options open to you. The easiest is a 400mm post. I like my bikes to be a little "snug", I really am right on the line between a large and XL size wise, but I pretty much always go large on the frame, then get a 400mm post to get my legs right. One of my LBS mechanics says my bike fit looks "old school", but he stopped wondering about it the first time he rode with me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by b-random View Post
    the seat post was almost an inch past the minimum line.
    Do you guys see this being an issue? Will the leverage that the seat post is putting on the composite frame be too much?
    Yes, huge issue on two fronts.
    1) seat post may fail - that is why it is marked with a min. insert.
    2) frame may fail AND you get denied warrantee because your post was not inserted enough - i.e. your fault, not Giant's.

I would go back to the shop today and voice your concern. I would begin as super nice cool guy with a concern. Discuss whether the seat post could fail. Discuss whether the frame manufacturer warrantee would cover a cracked seat tube caused by insufficient seat post insertion.

I would find your manual - it may say the warrantee is void for this issue. The warantee on my bike expressly states damage from insufficient seat post voids warrantee. Ask for a longer post.