mtbr member

Expert advice on budget bike build for first borns sweet 16

My daughter has been joining me on the trails with her Trek 4300. The bike is fine but she has out grown it. Her 16th birthday is coming up and I would like to build her a nice 29er. She is a smooth flowy kind of rider so something with slack geometry would be fine. I would like to keep the build under a grand to keep the wife happy. I can get a decent deal on a RS Reba rst 100mm 51mm offset fork so that is a possible starting point. One thing to note. She is long legged short waisted. So a 19-20 ish frame that is shorter in the top tube might be nice. I am leaning toward the On-One Scandal because of price but the colors that are available in don't exactly scream girly. I have a buddy that powder coats so that may be that big of an issue. Gearing will almost certainly be 1X10 SLX or XT. Brakes will be BB7 for simplicity. Wheels, Bonties or Stans rims on XT hubs.

So let me know what you think. I have only been involved in MTB since last fall so I may be missing something or just dead wrong.

Thanks, Friz

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    There is one detail difficult to overlook, with lots of people switching to 29er bikes used 26" are a bargain. $1000 in my area would by a really nice light bike.
    Unless your daughter is unusually tall (if she fits a 19" frame she could be) you may get more value for your money in a 26" XC race oriented bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    If you're building the bike simply for budget reasons, your wasting your time unless you're utilizing all used parts. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it'll be very difficult. I just built my first full squish on a "budget" but in the end, it really wasn't any cheaper than buying the bike pre-assembled. About the biggest benefit building a bike was it allowed me to learn how to service, tune, perform upgrades on my own without having to rely on a LBS and I was able to pick and choose the components that I wanted.

If your budget is $1000, you will have no problem finding a new or used 29er within that price range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by w1kk3d View Post
    If you're building the bike simply for budget reasons, your wasting your time unless you're utilizing all used parts. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it'll be very difficult. I just built my first full squish on a "budget" but in the end, it really wasn't any cheaper than buying the bike pre-assembled. About the biggest benefit building a bike was it allowed me to learn how to service, tune, perform upgrades on my own without having to rely on a LBS and I was able to pick and choose the components that I wanted.

If your budget is $1000, you will have no problem finding a new or used 29er within that price range.
    For me it is all about picking the components. Something that will be easy to maintain but not too flashy for when she leaves for collage in a few years. Hence mechanical brakes and 1x10. Also the On One brand is not well known so the bike may be passed by thieves for the more popular brands. As far as going used on a bike that will be a present to my daughter doesn't seem right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Do the math.
    You will end up with a lot better bike than 1k. And I think it will cost a bit more too. But it will be worth it. I'd go Hope for the front hub for endcap changeability and sealed bearings. Some guys use their parts bin for bars, stem, post, etc. or move things off their own bike.