mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Experience of Schwalbe Little Albert 29er?

I've specced Schwalbe Little Albert 29er tyres on my new bike, does anyone have any experience of them? If so how do you find them?

I noticed on the Schwalbe website that the 26er Little Albert has front and rear specific tyres, yet the 29er tyre is for front or rear use, I wonder why this is? Purely cost?

mtbr member
    I had a set, they are ok and farily light at 580gms. I only used it as a rear tire. The tread seemed to run out fast and I prefer the racing ralphs to them.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

transmitter~receiver
    I've had a few sets and they were my favorite tire for a while. The seem to roll pretty quickly, have good traction, and shed mud in wet conditions.
    I have moved to larger volume tires and smaller knobs out of personal preference, but I still take a set to races in case it gets muddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    quite good allrounder with small volume i like them for wet, sloppy conditions. if its dry i use something faster rolling with more volume

Plays with tools
    I liked mine. I agree with everything else that has been said but the most impressive thing to me was how predictably they drifted. In the super loamy soil we have around here that is one of my top priorities for a tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    they do convert to tubeless very well. i think the snakeskin sidewall helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Sounds good, pretty glad I chose them then.

Quote Originally Posted by bert-prologue
    they do convert to tubeless very well. i think the snakeskin sidewall helps.
    What conversion kit did you use if you don't mind me asking?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i run them on stans rims, with yellow tape and sealant. they hold air pressure quite well, little/no leaking from the sidewalls and i have never had any air burping issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    as always there is a compromise here. they are small, feel harsh and aren't fast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have had a few sets also. Use them as rear tires mostly, but they are light and durable as far as puncture is concerned. I have had some seal well tubeless, and a few that just refused to seal.

I prefer high volume tires, but they are about the same as a small block in weight with much better traction wet.

mtbr member
    I liked 'em just fine. But I finally switched to something with a little more volume and like the extra cush even better. Not much cush with the Little Albert. That's my only beef with them. They gripped well, rolled fast, and lasted, though. Horses for courses.....
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"