Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Dog.

Exotic Carbon Fork: 2 broken & Terrible Customer Service

Some of you might remember from this thread back in July that I managed to loosen the aluminum steerer in a 44.5 cm Exotic carbon fork. The fork was clearly the source of a popping and release under hard braking, as the noise disappeared when I switched to any other fork. Anyway, I was brushed off by Exotic. You can see the details here:

Useful Exotic Carbon Fork Info

And so the old saying goes, "You trick me once, shame on you. You trick me twice, shame on me." I should not have been so stupid to buy another Exotic fork. The night before a race last week, I discovered that the carbon steerer was delaminating on the inside, despite all of the proper precautions on my part (see my email below). After removing the fork, I also found that my weak press of the crown race had worn away even more material over time. The race now spins freely on the crown seat, which was and is now even more grossly undersized according to the digital calipers.

Please see below for my email exchange with Exotic, and buyer beware. Sometimes you're not paying for the product, but for the customer service that comes with the product. Niner has had many Jet9's break, but they are manning up and treating their customers right. Under-the-table importers like Exotic just can't do that I guess.

Look...I know that I'm stupid for buying another one, so please spare me the obvious. I'm simply posting this as a warning to those considering one of these forks. Not only did Exotic not honor their warranty, but also they insulted me in the process of doing so.

~DogDude

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Dogdude222 wrote:
    Dear Carboncycles-

After my bike started to make a nasty popping sound when torquing the handlebars, I removed the stem to find that my steerer is broken. Though the exterior has the normal marks from mounting a stem on a carbon steerer, the interior of the tube is delaminating in the upper 1 cm. The steerer was cut with a park guide and a sharp saw. Additionally, the fork was never run without a spacer on top of the stem to prevent this from happening nor was the stem overtightened. Tacx carbon assembly paste was even used on the steerer. Attached you will find pictures of the delamination.

Considering that this fork was purchased as a replacement for a aluminum/carbon fork with a creaking steerer, I have to say that I'm very disappointed. Despite my complaints last time and my offer of clear proof that the fork was the source of a noise (the steerer was moving in the crown), I was blown off and still purchased a replacement fork from you. I cannot allow this to happen this time.

This fork was purchased on July 13th with packing slip number 554013. This could not have happened at a worse time, considering that the first race of the collegiate season is tomorrow morning. I expect that this issue will be resolved in a timely and appropriate manner. Namely, I would appreciate a replacement 42.5 carbon/aluminum disc only fork to be shipped out immediately as a replacement.

Thank you,
    Dogdude222

On Sep 14, 2009, at 9:40 PM, Customer Service wrote:

Dear Sir,

Unfortunately competition training and competition riding are not covered under the CarbonCycles warranty. Please see

http://www.carboncycles.cc/index.php?s=2&

Sorry you've had problems with the forks.

Interestingly we have not had any other reports of creaking steerers or delaminating carbon steerers.

Best Regards
    John Wood

Hi John-

Expect this to find its way onto the MTBR forums. I've treated and used the fork exactly as it was intended to be used. For you to weasel your way out of the warranty is beyond low.

In addition, insinuating that I am the problem is even worse. I've built cars, worked as a team mechanic, and, beyond that, I'm pretty darn smart too. Attending the number one college in the US and then going to an Ivy League med school puts me pretty high up there. And I can say for sure that from this vantage point, your company is very disappointing. Treating customers right is what separates true businessmen and those who succeed from those who will ultimately perish of their own selfishness and dishonesty.

Sincerely,
    Dogdude222

AZ
    banned
    Link their e-mail addy for those of us that would like to correspond with them . You should also e-mail them with a link to this thread . Thanks for the heads up , nice to know who you can and can not do buisness with .

mtbr member
    I have been looking to add a carbon fork to my 29er. This thread takes one off my list.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    After reading that warranty it would not matter what type of failure it was it is not covered by that warranty.

San Diego County
    Rat-bastards. I almost bought one of those forks too. Don't you just love it when they say your the only one who EVER f-ed up their fine product?
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I don't get it. The paragraph states that warranty is void under a laundry list of uses. But you still purchased it and expected a warranty after using it in "competition."
    Attending the number one college in the US and then going to an Ivy League med school puts me pretty high up there.
    I'd refrain from using lines like that.

mtbr member
    I've built cars, worked as a team mechanic, and, beyond that, I'm pretty darn smart too. Attending the number one college in the US and then going to an Ivy League med school puts me pretty high up there.

No doubt to be burnt by that type of product failure is painful especially when you are pretty high up there.
    I've never met anyone who has built a car... or gone to an Ivy League school... and those team mechanics are world class.

Again, I'm sorry for your situation but man what a smug finish to an otherwise well written letter.

Course, I'm not so "up there" enough to buy a bad product twice. I usually take 3-4 purchases to realise my errors.

Oh, and I work for NASA.... I was the guy who designed the O rings on the challenger. Also did some work at Chernobyl. They thought I was waaay up there.
    Now, I'm slinging beans at Taco Bell. In a year or two I should be night manager which makes me pretty high indeed.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

redefined
    LOL, the warranty basically releases them of any responsibility except for maybe if the bike fell off the sofa onto a freshly weaved sheepskin rug.
    And though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours...I simply am not there.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the information; I considered the Exotic fork, but thought better of dealing with a potentially unreliable supplier. My friends have had excellent results with the "SIMILARLY APPEARING" White Brothers and Origin8 forks. I think that this warning applies to carbon "Ritchey-like" forks and handlebars too, at least for me.

ballbuster

worth a repost here:

Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222
    Some of you might remember from this thread back in July that I managed to loosen the aluminum steerer in a 44.5 cm Exotic carbon fork. The fork was clearly the source of a popping and release under hard braking, as the noise disappeared when I switched to any other fork. Anyway, I was brushed off by Exotic. You can see the details here:

Useful Exotic Carbon Fork Info

And so the old saying goes, "You trick me once, shame on you. You trick me twice, shame on me." I should not have been so stupid to buy another Exotic fork. The night before a race last week, I discovered that the carbon steerer was delaminating on the inside, despite all of the proper precautions on my part (see my email below). After removing the fork, I also found that my weak press of the crown race had worn away even more material over time. The race now spins freely on the crown seat, which was and is now even more grossly undersized according to the digital calipers.

Please see below for my email exchange with Exotic, and buyer beware. Sometimes you're not paying for the product, but for the customer service that comes with the product. Niner has had many Jet9's break, but they are manning up and treating their customers right. Under-the-table importers like Exotic just can't do that I guess.

Look...I know that I'm stupid for buying another one, so please spare me the obvious. I'm simply posting this as a warning to those considering one of these forks. Not only did Exotic not honor their warranty, but also they insulted me in the process of doing so.

~DogDude

www.bustedcarbon.com

Ovaries on the Outside
    You were doing well until you ended up being a d-bag. Lame to hear about the exotic fork, cause I was eying them, too.

Would you say a carbon fork is better than a good steel bike, minus warranty issues?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    "The Warranty does not cover any damage resulting from normal wear and tear, including the results of fatigue or any damage, failure or loss caused by abuse, neglect, improper installation, improper repair, improper maintenance, alteration, modification, failure to follow instructions or warnings in the owner’s manual, an accident or other abnormal, excessive, or improper use."

I'm sorry... a carbon fiber fork manufacturer does NOT warranty against normal wear and tear, fatigue? REALLY???

normal wear and tear should be a design consideration.
    fatigue IS a design consideration for any carbon maker worth their salt, moreso than any other material.

and "improper use" is the industry catch-all... it's in everyone's literature for a reason, but hardly ever used by professional companies

I like the "jumping" and "competition training" warranty requirements.
    define jumping.. you mean curb drops?
    competition training>? so if I'm bored and ride hard and decide 6 months down the road that I feel like tossing my hat in the ring at an amateur ride-out... then my casual riding is now considered training.

does the ride for heart count as a competition?
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the words of warning. So much for scoring a cheap carbon fork for my pair of rigid bikes.

After reading the terms in Niner's recall, they probably would have overnight-ed you a replacement fork with a new bike attached. The extra cash for a Pro/White Brothers/Bonty seems like a discount after reading that reply.

You should have said, "Oh, no problem, the eXotic fork was on the bike I ride around my living room carpet. I did all my competition training on another fork, and I clearly haven't raced this fork because it broke before my first race of the season..."

Post this up in some other forums. I know the "Where's the Best Deal?" forum would be one spot, and the single speed guys like their rigid forks.

The Dog.
    I apologize if I offended anyone with my "d-bag" last line in the letter. I basically saw red when he implied that the problem was me. I'm sure that many of you have made similar slips (and worse) in situations that really angered you. I just felt like I was being dragged into the gutter of idiocy by someone already there. I know it is not the classiest strategy to reply as such, but, like I said, we all make mistakes. Living my life in academia, where pretty much everyone is mechanically inept, I was quite pissed to be accused of that particular inadequacy.

Regarding me being an idiot for not reading the warranty...you'd have to be an idiot to read that document and think that it means anything at all. As some people have already mentioned, the thing could have shattered in a vacuum in a glass case, and I'd be out of luck. At the same time, I've seen similar warranty policies that weren't taken so seriously by the manufacturer. You can't know how seriously a company will take its "warranty policy" until you come to use it. Read that Air 9 carbon thread. I especially like the dude on the Intense who sends a 20 foot stair gap out of warranty, and they still sent him a new frame.

Anyway, the point remains. John basically spends his days convincing people to buy these forks and then finding a loophole in every warranty claim that comes his way. He must feel great when his head hits the pillow at night.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    You were doing well until you ended up being a d-bag. Lame to hear about the exotic fork, cause I was eying them, too.

Would you say a carbon fork is better than a good steel bike, minus warranty issues?
    I assume that you meant to ask if it was as good as a good steel fork? The answer is...maybe. How much does weight matter to you? Cause these mofos are light. If they had better quality control (i.e. Niner), they'd be the bees knees. They have a way of absorbing A LOT of high frequency trail chatter.

In terms of actual feel, though, nothing has ever felt as good...nowhere close...to the custom Walt fork that my Dad has. That 5 week waiting list sounds terrible, but I think that it might be about time to hop in line.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I understand being angry about the fork. I wasn't calling you a d-bag specifically, just the tail end of the response.

Thanks for the fork info/perspective.

mtbr member
    This makes me appreciate my KM fork.

rmb
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222
    That 5 week waiting list sounds terrible, but I think that it might be about time to hop in line.
    Five weeks is fast.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy
    This makes me appreciate my KM fork.
    LOL...well, I'm glad that I've allowed the two of you to grow closer...

Quote Originally Posted by rmb
    Five weeks is fast.
    I agree...for full custom. I'm just an impatient mofo, and the collegiate mtn season will be over in 5 weeks.

mtbr member
    Recently, I was at a restaurant with some friends. We waited, and waited, and waited for our food after ordering it.
    I went inside and said to the manager, we've waited over an hour for our food...
    We got it for free.
    Now, don't go to Perkin's, they'll screw you over if they take longer than an hour.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    Recently, I was at a restaurant with some friends. We waited, and waited, and waited for our food after ordering it.
    I went inside and said to the manager, we've waited over an hour for our food...
    We got it for free.
    Now, don't go to Perkin's, they'll screw you over if they take longer than an hour.
    Ernesto, I definitely see your point. Its not like I was expecting the best customer service from some shady importer. I'm just posting this up in case there was any doubt. Perhaps others can avoid my mistakes in the future.

mtbr member
    "I'm pretty darn smart too."

Looks like it.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdb1974
    "I'm pretty darn smart too."

Looks like it.
    Thank you. I hope that you're not mocking me. The 29er forum is a harsh, harsh world.

Others have already pointed out the irony of such a claim when I failed to read the warranty, bought a second fork, and let my anger cloud an otherwise poignant response. Still, intelligence and wisdom are two different things, especially when one is operating inside the haze of anger.

Big Paws on a Puppy!!

Wow!!!

With all this negative press and drama I think I personally would have just offered to give you your money back for the fork.

The other this is I seem to recall reading a bunch of threads where folks claimed that the White, Origin 8, Exotic, and a bunch of other carbon forks were basically the same exact fork with a little "rebranding" applied. Is this not the case?
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Not sure I would have bought a second one after the issue with the first, but I do appreciate hearing about their unwilligness to even consider the warranty claim.
    I was looking at the exotic - now it's off the list.

err, 27.5+
    Welcome to the fantastic world of carbon fiber. Costs more and manufacturers are now using even normal wear and tear to excuse premature failure. We have a couple of broken Ibis mojos in town. Neither were warrantied when they failed. None of this makes me want to adopt carbon fiber. In fact it makes me a bit cross that all of the manufacturers are touting it as the next great thing. Not in my minds-eye
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratman
    The other this is I seem to recall reading a bunch of threads where folks claimed that the White, Origin 8, Exotic, and a bunch of other carbon forks were basically the same exact fork with a little "rebranding" applied. Is this not the case?
    Yeah, I'd like to hear more about this. I've been operating under the assumption that all those forks were manufactured in the same facility.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratman
    With all this negative press and drama I think I personally would have just offered to give you your money back for the fork.

Well Ratman, John@carboncycles clearly underestimated the sh*tstorm that would rain down upon them for blowing me off. Even if they retroactively change their mind after seeing this thread, it would be difficult to forget how cursorily my claim was handled.

I also believed that the forks are all the same, but was corrected by Guitar Ted that there are actual slight differences, particularly in quality control. Regardless, even if they are the same, one must ask if it would be smart to pay twice the price for a real warranty and customer service. In hindsight, I'd say so.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    Welcome to the fantastic world of carbon fiber. Costs more and manufacturers are now using even normal wear and tear to excuse premature failure. We have a couple of broken Ibis mojos in town. Neither were warrantied when they failed. None of this makes me want to adopt carbon fiber. In fact it makes me a bit cross that all of the manufacturers are touting it as the next great thing. Not in my minds-eye
    Hmmm...fyi AL29er, except for the delaminating steerer, which is clearly an issue specific to carbon fiber, none of the other issues had anything to do with carbon fiber. The original steerer that came loose was aluminum pressed into an aluminum crown. I've even had a pressed alu steerer develop a similar tick in a SID. Also, the undersized crown seat is an aluminum sleeve bonded to the carbon steerer. In fact, the carbon legs are the one part of the fork that seems bombproof.

If the fork were of higher quality carbon fiber, I doubt that the steerer would have delaminated. And I'd certainly expect the crown seat to be within spec on a nice carbon fork. The Easton EC90SL on my roadie is a work of art. The steerer is just gorgeous, as is the carbon crown seat.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    None of this makes me want to adopt carbon fiber. In fact it makes me a bit cross that all of the manufacturers are touting it as the next great thing. Not in my minds-eye
    AL29er, I agree. If it cost twice as much, doesn't get near the life, and doesn't carry a warranty, I see it useless to me.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

you do this at my size
    Until other 29er carbon forks have proven themselves, there really is no other option than On-one.
    if you don't feel like riding, that's usually when you need it most

Its got what plants crave
    What a joke of a warranty. They might as well have put in there that they don't warranty anything. That guy totally blew you off too with the email, what a dick. No offer for a lower cost crash replacement or anything, just 'sorry you've got problems.'
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My on-one has been perfect, very pleased with it.

I was planning on getting an aluminum exotic fork for a budget, 26" build. Not any more-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOAB
    Until other 29er carbon forks have proven themselves, there really is no other option than On-one.

On-One is still in business?

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOAB
    That would have been far preferable for me. Unfortunately, the A-C and offset make it sort of a non-option for the non-suspension corrected XXIX.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Did you get any conventional bearing grease on the carbon steerer tube (inside or outside) when assembling the headset? They usually don't clearcoat the steerer tubes of carbon forks and some epoxy resins can be weakened by petroleum based greases, leading to delamination of the fibers. At least according to many carbon frame manufacturers. But really, any excuse under the sun is good with these people to explain any why their frame/fork failed.

As an aside on this, Bontrager/Trek claim their carbon isn't affected by grease, and Craig Calfee who probably knows more about CF in the bike industry than ANYONE says its a myth that grease weakens carbon. It is though a common excuse among company reps to deny warranties (easton and deda and campagnolo all are against it). FSA makes a carbon-prep lubricant though that many bike stores stock.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Bike Dork
    I always hate seeing threads like this because it puts the adoption of CF back a few more years. The OPs situation sucks, but doesn't surprise me in any way and I can see the reasoning behind it from the manufacturers standpoint. The problem comes from the inappropriate use of carbon-fiber in bike parts. CF is used almost exclusively used for weight savings similar to how aluminum started being used for bike parts 50+ years ago.

The best thing about CF is that it is so "tunable" by using different weaves, thickness, densities, epoxies, etc. Unfortunately companies aren't tuning the parts for strength, but for light weight. Until we as consumers step up and say we don't want crazy light parts, but instead we want parts that last we'll be seeing situations like this.

For those that remember the CNC '90s and 370g. crankarms and 60g. front hubs we've seen this before. If you want strong parts stop buying light parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    The OPs situation sucks, but doesn't surprise me in any way and I can see the reasoning behind it from the manufacturers standpoint.
    Please explain the manufacturers standpoint because I don't understand it.

My thought is that the manufacturer would want to honor the warranty for this fork, and get it back to do some testing on it. If the statment by "John" is correct and this is in fact the first failure of his carbon forks (which I doubt), then why would he not want to look at it to see what was going on to improve his product in the future? This is the mentality that I don't understand and leads me to believe this manufacturer is more interested in making a quick buck then developing a long standing product line. I personally have no interest in supporting a company that is only out to make a quick buck with shitty products.

Let's ride
    Sorry to hear about the rudeness and lack of CS. Good reminder of the risk we all take for buying cheap knockoffs. Sometimes you win, sometimes not.

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypecans
    Yeah, I'd like to hear more about this. I've been operating under the assumption that all those forks were manufactured in the same facility.
    What do you think those facilities do with the rejects? This in a world that sifts through our garbage to sort recyclables and paper with human beings. How much is a blemished or imperfect batch of carbon forks worth, and would they resell it to someone else?

Apr 2007
    I was also considering eXotic, but they have been 86'ed. It's back to On One, I guess.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Did you get any conventional bearing grease on the carbon steerer tube (inside or outside) when assembling the headset? They usually don't clearcoat the steerer tubes of carbon forks and some epoxy resins can be weakened by petroleum based greases, leading to delamination of the fibers. At least according to many carbon frame manufacturers. But really, any excuse under the sun is good with these people to explain any why their frame/fork failed.

As an aside on this, Bontrager/Trek claim their carbon isn't affected by grease, and Craig Calfee who probably knows more about CF in the bike industry than ANYONE says its a myth that grease weakens carbon. It is though a common excuse among company reps to deny warranties (easton and deda and campagnolo all are against it). FSA makes a carbon-prep lubricant though that many bike stores stock.
    I'm going to have to go with Calfee and call BS on the other guys. C'mon, cured epoxy resin is cured, it isn't going to be weakened by grease! If it was, then nobody should be doing anything structural with it. God forbid if it got any dirt or bird poop on it! I'd be super afraid to fly in any of the new airplanes w/ all that CF if I were one of those industry reps who claim this. Do they believe NO grease gets on the cf anywhere in an airplane?

BTW - the FSA or Tacx carbon prep is more to create some stiction and prevent seizing than anything to do with not using grease. I used grease on my Cervelo seatpost except it kept slipping. I put on the Tacx stuff and voila, no more slipping.

Very happy with my Niner fork!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Originally Posted by Dogdude222
    [I discovered that the carbon steerer was delaminating on the inside]

Purchased this fork (longer version) about a month ago and put about twenty hours on two bikes, I ride steep technical terrain.
    I have the same issue with loose crown race and will likely bond race to steerer soon.
    I have not noticed any creaking/popping noises and I check the steerer before every ride.
    I would not purchase another due to this post and I'm not crazy about the fore/aft flex.
    I know it may be hard to see but could you post some pics of the delaminating carbon steerer?

Its got what plants crave
    You should try to contact him from a different email address and don't mention any sort of competition/race use. Just use the "just riding along" line and see what sort of reason he denies the warranty for.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Bike Dork
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1
    Please explain the manufacturers standpoint because I don't understand it.

My thought is that the manufacturer would want to honor the warranty for this fork, and get it back to do some testing on it. If the statment by "John" is correct and this is in fact the first failure of his carbon forks (which I doubt), then why would he not want to look at it to see what was going on to improve his product in the future? This is the mentality that I don't understand and leads me to believe this manufacturer is more interested in making a quick buck then developing a long standing product line. I personally have no interest in supporting a company that is only out to make a quick buck with shitty products.
    The manufacturer is holding to their warranty as written as stated above. If the OP has followed the rules of the warranty he might have gotten a new fork. Basically the fork came with NO WARRANTY by the way they wrote it. The reason they had to write such a warranty is because no one would give CF a shot if it wasn't way lighter than aluminum or steel. CF stuff today as I posted is way underbuilt, but it doesn't have to be if we as consumers would stop buying stupid-light parts.

The manufacturer is stuck in a catch-22 where they can sell forks if they make them stupid-light, or they can make a fork from CF that's just a bit lighter than alum or steel, but sell none of them. As long as folks are going to buy the light stuff you're going to see warranties like the one on the OPs fork.

That said, strictly from a promotional and goodwill aspect I see no reason they shouldn't have given the OP a new fork at cost at least. In the industry we call it a "crash replacement." I've warrantied lots of really abused stuff over the years for customers just to keep the goodwill. The forks manufacturer and distributor if they even know about this thread I'm sure see it as a tempest in a teapot and know it'll all blow over by next week. Unfortunately they're right because right now people are willing to gamble their money and health on stupid-light parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    The manufacturer is holding to their warranty as written as stated above. If the OP has followed the rules of the warranty he might have gotten a new fork. Basically the fork came with NO WARRANTY by the way they wrote it. The reason they had to write such a warranty is because no one would give CF a shot if it wasn't way lighter than aluminum or steel. CF stuff today as I posted is way underbuilt, but it doesn't have to be if we as consumers would stop buying stupid-light parts.

The manufacturer is stuck in a catch-22 where they can sell forks if they make them stupid-light, or they can make a fork from CF that's just a bit lighter than alum or steel, but sell none of them. As long as folks are going to buy the light stuff you're going to see warranties like the one on the OPs fork.

That said, strictly from a promotional and goodwill aspect I see no reason they shouldn't have given the OP a new fork at cost at least. In the industry we call it a "crash replacement." I've warrantied lots of really abused stuff over the years for customers just to keep the goodwill. The forks manufacturer and distributor if they even know about this thread I'm sure see it as a tempest in a teapot and know it'll all blow over by next week. Unfortunately they're right because right now people are willing to gamble their money and health on stupid-light parts.
    Interesting argument. I'm not buying it though. Problem I have is that I don't understand how "delamination" of the carbon fiber has anything to do with abuse?

Bottom line is that this company blows and never intended on supporting customers. While your theories may hold true for companies that want to develop good products, I think we can firmly say that Exotics is only interested in making money and not interested in the products it sells.

mtbr member
    Crap I just got mine last week.
    I'll have to keep a close watch on mine.

Bike Dork
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1
    Interesting argument. I'm not buying it though. Problem I have is that I don't understand how "delamination" of the carbon fiber has anything to do with abuse?

Bottom line is that this company blows and never intended on supporting customers.
    Actually delamination is one of CFs main failure modes. The stresses break the epoxy bond before it tears the fiber. The weak aspects of CF aren't the fiber. Do a little research on CF and failure issues. Start with this frameforum sub-forum.

I never said the company wasn't being jerks. I'm saying they're selling crap product because riders are demanding crap-light stuff. Once people stop wanting 700g. 29er forks they'll stop making them or putting real warranties behind their products.

rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg in IL
    Crap I just got mine last week.
    I'll have to keep a close watch on mine.
    Crap, me too but with the aluminum steerer which might be ok???

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yep I got one too. With the carbon steerer and I noticed the headset crown race just slid on. I didn't have to tap it on like every other one. I'll have to keep an eye on it. This gives me a reason to build up a whole new SS with a decent carbon fork. Maybe a One 9 with a Niner fork, or a diSSent Fe with a White Bros. Rock Solid.
    RIDE MF RIDE,
    Scotto

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast