Always Learning

Ex-Editor at Mountain Bike Action magazine takes new job...

Well, well, well. No need to delve into the history of this forum's commentary on what M.B.A. has said over the years with regard to the big wheels. What was the famous quote from a few year's back about twenty niners? Something about 29"ers were a passing fad that was dead and pronounced "Stick a fork in 'em"? We got a lot of miles on our big wheels out of that quote for a few years.

Of course, MBA went on to do some nice comparison tests between all the wheel sizes, plenty of articles and reviews of 29"ers and followed the reality of the market as the "fad" did not die. They did, IMO, save face and Cunningham offered up plenty of positive opinion on the big wheels in articles and Q&A on the website.

And yesterday, it was announced former editor of M.B.A. - Richard Cunningham - was taking a new job at Pinkbike. Read about it here....

I just found the career move interesting, but it may be a telling state of the mountain bike magazine industry (or all periodicals for that matter).

BB

mtbr member
    Hes been gone a few months. I liked his articles the best.

They are doing ALOT o 29er tests now. too bad the same crap keeps going on. They tested a bike with a single air rrockshox fork and made mention not once but twice that they pumped up the neg air psi to 5 psi less then the pos. on the fork

mtbr member
    Doesn't matter to me.

If you can weed through the crap that is posted on here you will usually find more reliable information then most US magazines these days. After all, you and I are not persuaded by marketing dollars that seem to dominate magazines.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

Harmonius Wrench
    I was surprised by that announcement. I would never have guessed that move would take place. But from my perspective, it makes sense for Pinkbike in that they will broaden their audience and Mr. Cunningham has a proven track record of bringing good stuff that readers seem to like. So, now maybe it makes perfect sense.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it plays out and to see what does happen with print in the coming years. Personally, I don't think it will ever go away, but I do think it is in the process of a radical change. What we see now as traditional mtb magazines will go away in favor of a product that will be a companion to digital content in a more tactile sense, or will be so "underground" that traditional business models won't work.

mtbr member
    agreed. The euro mountain bike mags DESTROY our rags.

tl1
    Bicyclist

He hasn't been the same

...since the Happy Days.

mtbr member
    I wish he would of brought back Mantis Bicycles...I had a "Treefrog Green" Mantis Flying V back in '92 and it is still my all-time favorite steed (wish I had it back). I could only imagine how trick a Mantis Pro-Floater 29er would be!