Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Everyone wants to ride my Pole

Maybe.

This just arrived today. Very heavy frame at 4.18 kg, but I guess that is to be expected for how long it is.

We will see how it rides and the total weight as I try out this unique frame.

This is the 110 travel Evolink as I will be using it mostly on light trail and XC rides. They have other travel bikes as well. 140, 160?

Frame took a little over a month to arrive and the people at Pole were relatively helpfule. It is very high quality and I love the color. Interesting it lacks a head badge though???

It came with the headset, rear maxle, shock, seat clamp, and miscellaneous fittings.

The rear end is huge and looks like 29 x 3 would easily fit, if that is your thing.

Enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everyone wants to ride my Pole-20170427_113132.jpg  

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-20170427_114846.jpg  

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-20170427_114938.jpg  

by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

Norðwegr
    You forgot the most interesting thing, you can fold the frame (which is in part why it's so wide at the back)

meatier showers
    Ride report, please.
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's hard to get many people to see these, and I'm curious how their philosophy of the super long reach works in practice.

More pictures! More posts!
    Yamaguchi Cross • YT Jeffsy • Salsa Mukluk & Vaya • Canyon Commuter

mtbr member
    I'll have more pictures by Monday. Ride will be middle of next week. The only thing I still need to get is a seatpost.

Yes, and it came folded, although the axle that holds it together is a tight fit so I'm not sure how much I'll actually be folding it.

Final weight looks like it will be under 28 lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Final weight looks like it will be under 28 lbs.
    Under 28lbs with a 9lb+ frame and Fox 36? You must be running some really light parts.

Very curious about the way it rides. Waiting on your ride report.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Under 28lbs with a 9lb+ frame and Fox 36? You must be running some really light parts.

Very curious about the way it rides. Waiting on your ride report.
    It's a 130mm Fox 34, not 36.

However, I may switch to a 120mm SID depending on the ride/ fit.

Parts are the same as I had on my Norco Optic. Weight savings comes from XX1 crank, light wheels (Industry Nine trail @ 1,460 grams), and light tires - Rocket Ron 2.25".

This is Poles XC version so no need for bomber tires, especially where I ride in the Midwest.

Brakes are XT, pedals XTR, post and bars are carbon. Shifter and derailleur are X0.

I too am very curious how it rides. From everything I have read that is available online, the bike rides and climbs great.

We will see next week.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

transmitter~receiver
    is it solid aluminum?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    is it solid aluminum?!?
    In some places I think it might be. LOL

The frame was suppose to be 3.3 kg without the shock. Don't know how much a shock, clamp, rear axle and headset weigh but I was a bit miffed when I put it on the scale.

This bike is not going to be my only bike, it's more of an experiment to see how these super long bikes ride and handle. So no way I'm sending it back to Finland now.

Also, I don't think a full suspension bike this big that is under 28 lbs is too heavy. My size medium Knolly Endo was 27 lbs or so. The wheelbase on this bike is 1,248, with a 480mm reach for a size medium.

If anything it's good for training for to transition onto my 22 lb Norco Revolver.
    Last edited by Zerort; 04-28-2017 at 04:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Excellent bike, very interested to hear how you go.

I think you will love the seating position with the SA. Tell us about the long, how tall are you and what size frame did you go for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Excellent bike, very interested to hear how you go.

I think you will love the seating position with the SA. Tell us about the long, how tall are you and what size frame did you go for?
    I am 5' 9" tall, weigh 150 lbs. I went with a medium frame.

As mentioned above, the reach is 480 mm. My large Norco Revolver has a 460 mm reach. I'm thinking I will need to do some trial and error with various stem lengths to find a fit that works.

As you mention, the SA will come to into that. However, I didn't have a 30.9 mm seat post so I had to order one which will hopefully arrive Thursday.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    Yeah, it's hard to get many people to see these, and I'm curious how their philosophy of the super long reach works in practice.

More pictures! More posts!
    I demo'd a MOJO Geometron a couple of weeks ago, I'm 5'10 and spent a day on a longer(medium) which has a 502mm reach.

in 20 years of "serious" mountain biking I have never ridden anything that has made such a huge difference in how I can ride a bike.

My current main bikes are a yeti SB6 and a Switchblade but the Mojo just blew them both out of the water in terms of comfort, handling and speed. It's difficult to put into words, you've got to experience it for yourself to see how it feels but for me I simply jumped on the bike and without having to consciously adapt my riding style was able to push the bike so much harder into turns without the front tucking or washing and the long wheelbase means the back end is super stable and just tracks the front.
    Basically I ended up just riding the front and forgetting about the back. Occasionaly the back would break away but it just slides to where it needs to be and grips again, makes you feel like a hero!

I noticed no downsides to the geometry, I was flicking the bike between trees and through switchbacks with no more effort than on either of my "small" bikes. I rode the bike on mainly relatively mellow blue trails and found it absolutely fine. It's too much bike in terms of travel for my regular riding but I'm 100% sold on the longer is better idea.

OP, I'm very interested in what you make of the pole as I have ordered a Geometron to replace my SB6 for big days on big hills but I'm thinking about long reach 29er for everyday trail riding and the Evolink and G13 are the two bikes on my shortlist to replace the switchblade.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Awesome bike. Can't wait to hear how it rides. Being tall I just built a XXL tallboy with a 505mm reach. First bike that has ever fit me. It's great that they are pushing the limits of bike design. never know how long is to long until you go past it.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    ... It's great that they are pushing the limits of bike design. never know how long is to long until you go past it.
    Agreed. Four years ago a new XL Kona Honzo was my wake up call. Until that bike, I wasn't aware that I'd been riding too-small frames for the previous 25 years {gasp!}. Anyway I haven't gone past too long yet. Modern off-road frame design is really good.
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It will be interesting to compare to the Revolver and Optic with regards reach and front center and how it climbs, flicks, lofts front wheel, etc... I am curious how it does on your pedally terrain.

I don't seem to get along too well with long front center bikes with regards to lofting the front wheel on demand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigglet13 View Post
    I demo'd a MOJO Geometron a couple of weeks ago, I'm 5'10 and spent a day on a longer(medium) which has a 502mm reach.

in 20 years of "serious" mountain biking I have never ridden anything that has made such a huge difference in how I can ride a bike.

My current main bikes are a yeti SB6 and a Switchblade but the Mojo just blew them both out of the water in terms of comfort, handling and speed. It's difficult to put into words, you've got to experience it for yourself to see how it feels but for me I simply jumped on the bike and without having to consciously adapt my riding style was able to push the bike so much harder into turns without the front tucking or washing and the long wheelbase means the back end is super stable and just tracks the front.
    Basically I ended up just riding the front and forgetting about the back. Occasionaly the back would break away but it just slides to where it needs to be and grips again, makes you feel like a hero!

I noticed no downsides to the geometry, I was flicking the bike between trees and through switchbacks with no more effort than on either of my "small" bikes. I rode the bike on mainly relatively mellow blue trails and found it absolutely fine. It's too much bike in terms of travel for my regular riding but I'm 100% sold on the longer is better idea.
    I'm getting a few more rides in on my G16 and would agree with this. To be honest, the thing that surprises me most is how well the bike climbs probably because the weight distribution means that front end lift is easy to control and because the suspension works so well, there is lots of traction. Also that even though the bike is long that it's still maneuverable and doesn't seem more difficult to ride through tight sections of trail than other 160mm travel bikes that I've owned or borrowed. Downhill it is awesome but I'd be very surprised and disappointed if it wasn't.

I've also been interested in the Pole designs, so I'm looking forward to seeing the ride report.

It's going to be interesting to see if the ideas in these bikes become more mainstream and if so, how long it will take for this to happen.

MTB B'dos
    Curious how tall you are OP and how old? I'm 6'2.25" with long arms and legs, 47, not as flexible as I used to be and with a 480mm Reach I'd be on a 40-50mm stem with 780-800 bar, so can't imagine what length stem you'll be using if you're the height for a normal medium frame.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Curious how tall you are OP and how old? I'm 6'2.25" with long arms and legs, 47, not as flexible as I used to be and with a 480mm Reach I'd be on a 40-50mm stem with 780-800 bar, so can't imagine what length stem you'll be using if you're the height for a normal medium frame.
    I'm 5'9" and 46 y/o.

Stem length TBD, but I have a 35, 40, and 50mm to try out.

Need the seat post before anything is going to get configured. That is due Wednesday.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Interesting read on Pink Bike today

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/pole-e...40-review.html
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I was wondering what the cost USD was for you if you don't mind sharing? And also did you have to pay any other fees, extra shipping, import, etc.?
    I have a Whyte G-160 which is a fairly large bike in its own right, but after reading a few articles on the Pole bikes including the one Pinkbike just put up today I am getting more and more interested in maybe picking up one of their longer travel 29ers.
    Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

mtbr member
    Same here. I really like this frame. I'm typically a solid medium no matter that frame manufacturer I go with. The Pole has a really long reach. My medium Banshee has a reach of 430mm and I use a 50mm stem. That has me spot on. With these super long reach bikes...even with the STA...more often than not...you'll see the saddle slammed forward on its rails. I wonder if I would go down one size?

If I ever get over my Banshee...the Evolink 130 would be high on my list.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Same here. I really like this frame. I'm typically a solid medium no matter that frame manufacturer I go with. The Pole has a really long reach. My medium Banshee has a reach of 430mm and I use a 50mm stem. That has me spot on. With these super long reach bikes...even with the STA...more often than not...you'll see the saddle slammed forward on its rails. I wonder if I would go down one size?

If I ever get over my Banshee...the Evolink 130 would be high on my list.
    The seating position on this bike is much more forward then a normal bike. This shortens the effective seat tube length. You should go with your normal size otherwise you are not getting the benefit of the new geometry. The whole idea is to try something new, not match what you are on now. Love it or hate it, at least try it as the designers intended.

mtbr member
    To be honest, I think the frame shipped was around $2k +/- due to the currency conversion. There were no other fees involved.

I read on Pink bike that someone who is 5'10" was riding a large.

At 5' 9", it seems like the Medium with a 50mm stem is going to fit me just fine, but I won't know until Wednesday evening. Eyeballing the fit, it does not look like I will be stretched out at all.

I intend to ride it either Wed, or Thursday.

All in weight is around 27lbs. As shown, it's a bit heavier (look closely and you can see the post, seat, and chain), but I have a different post, saddle and much lighter pedals I will be using than what is shown hanging off this bike.

With different grips and brakes, it could be in the 26 lb range which is probably where I will eventually go over time.

As my Knolly Endorphin was at 27 lbs, I feel this is a great weight for what will be my trail bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everyone wants to ride my Pole-20170501_172940.jpg  

by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Very curious/interested in these super long bikes. Nice weight too, considering the frame/shock weight.

For comparison my medium Canfield Riot frame with shock, axle and headset is also 4.1kg. my finished build was 31lb with dropper, Pike and mostly mostly carbon everything else.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

MTB B'dos
    I just don't get this new geometry where the saddle is almost right above the BB, in a position similar to what a TT or Triathlete would be in. I run my saddle "X" distance behind the BB, that doesn't change, no matter the bike I'm on, it means I'm either moving the saddle for aft on the rails on a straight post or setback depending on the STA. On this bike, I'd have to have my saddle slammed all the way back on the rails, on a setback post to get even remotely close to where I run my saddle. I don't just endure climbs for the descents or only do rides that are basically all climbing to then descendind, I enjoy pedaling my bike all over the place, up, down, rolling, flat and that stupid STA just does not work when that is how/what you ride.

Interesting read on Pink Bike today

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/pole-e...40-review.html

mtbr member
    Well, it seems that everyone who rides this bike loves the STA and that it climbs just fine. Maybe if you tried something different, you may like it.

Because I buy about 4-5 bikes a year (and then sell them), if it climbs like shit tomorrow, I'll let everyone know. I'm not emotionally invested in any bike that I have bought except for my Norco Revolver which is the best bike I have ever ridden. I will never sell that bike.

And, because I will be comparing it to the 21.5 lb Revolver, which climbs very well, we will have an direct comparison - of sorts based on some Strava times for my local trail.

If there is no traffic tomorrow I will time it, and give you the results. Granted, I'm sure this bike will be slower, possibly due to the weight, but let's see by how much. If it's five minutes slower over 14 miles then maybe it's not all that. But 1-3 minutes with nice climbing ability - I'll take that.

I have a feeling I will be pleasantly surprised.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    by Silentfoe

connisseur
    About 80% of what he said made no sense to me, the reason why he had the saddle slammed all the way forward, whaaa? It honestly sounds like he is making it all up just to rationalize the crazy geometry.

The part where we only ride "rubbish" trails here in the US so we only ride rubbish bikes??? It's comical really. It's like a mutant where they are taking what works for DH and what works for XC and sticking them together on one bike.

**edit- the slammed saddle part was from the review of the Pole not the article on Chris Porter. Wheelbase absolutely matters as far as how the bike feels and handles, when someone says they can't feel the long wheelbase in tight sections of trail I immediately stop listening
    Last edited by Tickle; 05-02-2017 at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    FWIW- Guerilla Gravity has similar reach and slightly higher stack numbers and very steep STA (similar to Pole and Mojo) and is made in USA.
    The largest diff I see is the chainstay length (aside from the rear link setup) slightly steeper HTA.
    I have an XL GG Trail Pistol ordered now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chasejj View Post
    FWIW- Guerilla Gravity has similar reach and slightly higher stack numbers and very steep STA (similar to Pole and Mojo) and is made in USA.
    The largest diff I see is the chainstay length (aside from the rear link setup) slightly steeper HTA.
    I have an XL GG Trail Pistol ordered now.
    Essentially the size large GG Megatrail is the size medium Pole. Give or take.

Seems like they are similar weight as well.

Good find.
    by Silentfoe

MTB B'dos
    Please don't forget to take it on some pedally trails, where you are in the saddle constantly pedaling, undulating and flat and don't just putz along like the modern trend, put some good effort into it, really hammer, don't just pedal to get the descents as your reward. Will be very interested to hear how a ride like that feels on a bike that basically puts you in a position to have much less power available because of your position.

Well, it seems that everyone who rides this bike loves the STA and that it climbs just fine. Maybe if you tried something different, you may like it.

Because I buy about 4-5 bikes a year (and then sell them), if it climbs like shit tomorrow, I'll let everyone know. I'm not emotionally invested in any bike that I have bought except for my Norco Revolver which is the best bike I have ever ridden. I will never sell that bike............I have a feeling I will be pleasantly surprised.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
    About 80% of what he said made no sense to me, the reason why he had the saddle slammed all the way forward, whaaa? It honestly sounds like he is making it all up just to rationalize the crazy geometry.

The part where we only ride "rubbish" trails here in the US so we only ride rubbish bikes??? It's comical really. It's like a mutant where they are taking what works for DH and what works for XC and sticking them together on one bike.

**edit- the slammed saddle part was from the review of the Pole not the article on Chris Porter. Wheelbase absolutely matters as far as how the bike feels and handles, when someone says they can't feel the long wheelbase in tight sections of trail I immediately stop listening
    Yeah, some of the statements he makes are just laughable.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Please don't forget to take it on some pedally trails, where you are in the saddle constantly pedaling, undulating and flat and don't just putz along like the modern trend, put some good effort into it, really hammer, don't just pedal to get the descents as your reward. Will be very interested to hear how a ride like that feels on a bike that basically puts you in a position to have much less power available because of your position.
    Lynx, do you read?

You quoted 1/2 of what I said.

I said the trail was 14 miles and I was going to time it - pending no one is in the way, and compare it to my time on the Norco.
    by Silentfoe

connisseur
    Lynx, do you read?

I said the trail was 14 miles and I was going to time it - pending no one is in the way, and compare it to my time on the Norco.
    There's a reason why your Norco revolver is your fav bike

connisseur
    the short stay E vangelists are not gonna like this

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, but I like to make sure I read correct and try to encourage the test Seriously, looking forward to someone who isn't just an adrenaline junky who climbs as slow as molasses on a cold day and doesn't care how long it takes to get to the top and never pedals anything rolling or flat, just once they get to bomb the down

Lynx, do you read?

mtbr member
    Yeah, but I like to make sure I read correct and try to encourage the test Seriously, looking forward to someone who isn't just an adrenaline junky who climbs as slow as molasses on a cold day and doesn't care how long it takes to get to the top and never pedals anything rolling or flat, just once they get to bomb the down
    Well, there is really nothing to bomb on this trail. It's mostly flat, with short steep climbs. Probably 4-5 difficult climbs at most. The rest will come down to pedal efficiency.

So when ridden with the Norco, I'm not taking my leisurely time. My best time is here is under 56 minutes. If the Pole can do it under 1 hour I'll be impressed.

mtbr member
    No ride report tonight - crack piston on rear caliper??

All in 27 lbs.Everyone wants to ride my Pole-20170503_101932.jpg
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    That's a great looking ride.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    that seat looks like it could chop your dick off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    that seat looks like it could chop your dick off.
    You mean my Pole.

Ok, ride report coming later. I grabbed a caliper off my other bike.

Set multiple PRs in serious traffic.
    Everyone wants to ride my Pole-20170503_185811.jpgEveryone wants to ride my Pole-screenshot_20170503-193752.jpg
    Last edited by Zerort; 05-03-2017 at 06:03 PM.

mtbr member
    So how does it ride? Well it's hard to tell. As you can see I am 2 minutes slower than my best time. However, the trail was packed today. I must have passed 15 or more people and I had multiple cramps in each calf where I actually stopped pedaling for quite some time or was not clipped in the pedal. I think my seat was too low as well. In addition this trail is known for getting sandy. It was much more sandy than April 18, and a few parts had mud puddles that I drove around - nothing serious.

Either way here is how I grade this bike:

Flat pealing sections: A to A- (set some PRs here)
    Seated pedaling: A to A-
    Standing pedaling: B-
    Long steady climbs: A (actually set a PR on the long climb)
    Short steep climbs: B (I was tired by the time I hit the big one)
    Tight 90 degree turns: About the same as my Norco or any bike for that matter.
    Sweeping switchbacks A++++ This bike rails those, no questions asked. Fast AF!
    Steep technical rooty or rocky climbs: A Slow, but this bike does not spin out at all.
    Fit: A (I think I could do a large with a shorter stem possibly)
    Weight: B (27lbs does affect me over longer trails) For someone stronger it may not be a problem at all. I do not consider this a "race" bike, but a fast trail bike.
    Manauling or bunny hop: C- I could not get this beast off the ground
    Poppiness: A- I set the rebound in the middle setting. Felt nice.
    Oversteer: Yes, a bit, but not much
    Understeer: None. I could lean over very far and rail those Rocket Rons especially in the damp dirt. No fear of washing out
    Flickable: A- I'm sure the weight played a part here. But while I was moving it was decent.

I think that about sums it up.

Could I have beat my best time, yes quite possibly. I'll keep trying.
    Could I make it lighter - yes, for sure. How much should I spend?
    Could I get stronger and get use to the weight, yes, but not something I will be committed to doing.
    Will I keep it - yes absolutely.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So grades do you give your Revolver for the same areas?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl View Post
    So grades do you give your Revolver for the same areas?
    The Revolver gets A+ for everything other than standing pedaling traction. It gets a B-, but a lot could be resulting from rear tire choice.

I would say it also does not turn as fast as the Pole on sweeping fast switchbacks.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Did you have the chance to ride the bike a bit more in the past week? How was it?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Yes. I'm really enjoying this bike. It's obviously not a race bike due to the extra 5 or 6 pounds, but it rides beautifully and is comfortable on long hauls.

My last ride on it was a quick paced 28 mile ride in varying conditions - downhill, climbs, dirt roads. I kept up with the other riders just fine. Most of them were on Specialized Epics.

awesome
    Hi Zerotort, how is it going with the bike so far? Would you confirm your initial review? Are these long bikes really a big core workout on flat sections? Do you think the high front end would be an issue for short riders?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dblspeed View Post
    Hi Zerotort, how is it going with the bike so far? Would you confirm your initial review? Are these long bikes really a big core workout on flat sections? Do you think the high front end would be an issue for short riders?
    I have ridden this bike probably more flat than climbs and it is not more of a work out versus any other bike.

I set another PR on a very flat section. It is .5 miles with 0% elevation. According to Strava I did it in 1:42.
    Everyone wants to ride my Pole-choo-choo.png

This placed me at 103 out of 1326 riders for the year and is faster than my times on my Norco Revolver which produced a best time of 1:45, 1:52, 1:53, etc.

So this bike is not slow by any means. Over the 14 miles, I am faster on my Revolver, but certain sections I am still setting PRs on this bike.

In regards to the high front end, I'm not quite sure it actually is high. It does not seem like I am higher on it, but I do not use any spacers wither.

Also, I currently run a 130 mm Fox 34, but you could always run a 120 mm and set it down a tad.
    by Silentfoe

awesome
    Thanks for sharing

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    OP, I'm interested in hearing more of your experiences with the Pole as you get more mileage on it. I'm seriously wanting to get the evolink 140 but it's out of stock at the moment.

For those wondering if it's possible to lift the front wheel on such a long bike, here is a clip of an evolink 140 being hopped up quite a large step. The guy makes it look easy lol. https://www.instagram.com/p/BSltx1UgoST/

mtbr member
    Hey, good timing. I just put 18 miles on it this morning on some very hilly technical trails.

At first I was trying to stay with some pretty strong guys, but I got pretty spent. I also have a weird dull pain in my groin that im dealing with at this time.

So I said the hell with that, I'm just going to have some fun.

So after about 5 miles I stopped chasing them and had a blast railing berms and drops for the rest of the ride. This bike is so stable, and climbs very well.

After we finished and met back up, I could tell they were exhausted from the pace and the pounding they took. I finished only 3 minutes or so behind them and was feeling great and could have gone another 10 miles.

Best of luck getting one. I'm sure they are sold out for a reason.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Are you in the US? I'd love to see one of these in the flesh. I'm in NC but according to Pole they haven't shipped any bikes to this part of the US.

mtbr member
    Yep, Michigan.

I don't think there are but 2 or 3 in the states that I'm aware of.

Maybe the 110 would work for you. I run a 130mm Fox up front.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I already have 110 29er trail bike so wanted something with more travel to ride around Pisgah. Guess I'll have to be patient.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Zerort, you mentioned it took a month to receive your bike. How was it shipped? I'm concerned that the swing-arm gets bent or deformed by careless courier handlers stacking heavy items on it on the box during shipping. Also did you pay any import duties when it arrived?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trail-blazer View Post
    Zerort, you mentioned it took a month to receive your bike. How was it shipped? I'm concerned that the swing-arm gets bent or deformed by careless courier handlers stacking heavy items on it on the box during shipping. Also did you pay any import duties when it arrived?
    Hey.

First off the bike comes folded. I guess to show you how the bike folds. Everything is wrapped and secured very well. Nothing was going to move or be damaged.

Second, remember, this is a 9 lb. frame. It is not delicate.

No import tax or duties. Shipping was $50 from Pole.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Beautiful bike Zerort. I recently finished building up my own after about a 3 month shipping delay ordeal. The delay had nothing to do with Pole, the shipping service in the US literally lost the bike. Pole eventually sent me another frame and refunded me the amount I originally paid for shipping for the first frame. They were nice and professional throughout the process.

I have about 4 rides on the bike and I'm in love. It's an incredibly stable and confidence inspiring bike, don't think I'll ever go back to a bike with a shorter wheelbase or steeper HTA. Attached a few pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everyone wants to ride my Pole-img_0964.jpg  

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-img_0965.jpg  

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-img_0966.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks awesome.
    Yes, these bikes are very sweet. I'm very happy with the purchase.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Looks awesome d3ftone. Is that the 140 or 170? How does the coil feel on it? Any bottoming out issues?

There is relatively so little written about these bikes, it's hard to judge how they ride and how much more difficult it is if any to manual and bunny hop them. The few reviews also mention cornering is more 'difficult' or rather different and needs to be 'relearned'.

How did you guys decide on bar height and width to compensate for the extra length? Leo from Pole seems to have his bars quite high with a lot of spacers under the stem while yours look much lower.

I would love to hear more of your experiences as you get more mileage.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't bother with all that nonsense. There is nothing different about riding this bike than any other. Sure, you can weight the front end more to rip around some turns, but its not necessary. In fact, it's just natural.

In regards to lifting the front end, I'd say it's not coming up easy, but after 2 rides, you figure you just need more input.

My 110mm has never bottomed out. I'm sure the longer travel bikes are even better.

As far as bar height - that was pre-determined for me as my Fox fork was cut too short to put any spaces under it (it came off my Knolly). The headtube is tall enough, so overall, it fit fine.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks. Now if I could only get my hands on one. Still out of stock and no dates for new stock yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Nice ride 3dftone! What frame size is that and how tall are you? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Anyone else bought a Pole recently? Awfully quiet thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soebauer View Post
    Anyone else bought a Pole recently? Awfully quiet thread.

I can't imagine many people have even heard of the brand in the US.

Also, people are afraid to put down their hard earned cash and buy something they have never seen or touched. And, I don't blame them.

The other thing is the geometry of this bike freaks people out.

They are getting popular in Europe, but I doubt you'll find people here buying them.

I bought mine because it was so different and I had to try it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Makes sense. I just bought the 140 based on reviews and out of curiosity for the geometry, hoping it'll fit my 6ft4 frame better.
    Ordering without trying not much of an issue, as my current bike is a Canyon.
    Now waiting for all the parts to arrive so I can build it up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soebauer View Post
    Makes sense. I just bought the 140 based on reviews and out of curiosity for the geometry, hoping it'll fit my 6ft4 frame better.
    Ordering without trying not much of an issue, as my current bike is a Canyon.
    Now waiting for all the parts to arrive so I can build it up!

Large or XL?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm in a similar group. Interested as very little like it, yet the numbers freak myself out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    This is on my list for the neat future but since I already have a Mondraker Crafty+ I am not sure that it would make sense to buy one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I ordered the 140 evolink and it still comes in L only. Have read in a post by Pole though that XL will follow soon. However, if you compare the Pole geo's across sizes you will realize that stack height does not change. That would have been the one benefit for me of an xl frame, could have less spacers then. Reach and wheelbase - more than enough on the L. Plus check out the Facebook Pole riders forum - lots of folks there my size, riding large frames and being super happy.

mtbr member
    More I see the Pole the more I like it. For my next bike I think I'm going to consolidate my bikes into one. The Evolink 130 or an Evil Following are two high on the list.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hi,

I also got myself a Pole Evolink 150 L (27,5) Red frame custom built. Couple of rides in the trails and it's a very capable bike.. love it's climbing abilities. Happy with my Purchase

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    How does the Evolink pedal?
    I'm thinking of getting an Evolink 110 or 130 as a marathon bike for a pretty gnarly local marathon race.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Losvar View Post
    I'm thinking of getting an Evolink 110 or 130 as a marathon bike for a pretty gnarly local marathon race.
    Imo it climbs very well. I haven't got too much experience from other bike brands but the sitting position is very good so you can get a good amount of power to the legs. It can climb very steep hills pretty easy. I'm using a 40t + 34t shimano XTR drivetrain

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Toube View Post
    Imo it climbs very well. I haven't got too much experience from other bike brands but the sitting position is very good so you can get a good amount of power to the legs. It can climb very steep hills pretty easy. I'm using a 40t + 34t shimano XTR drivetrain
    It doesn't have a lot of pedal bob?
    I would prefer to have a more pedal efficient kinematic rather than relying on pedal platform on the shock.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    It doesn't have a lot of pedal bob?
    I would prefer to have a more pedal efficient kinematic rather than relying on pedal platform on the shock.
    Can't say how much pedal bob there is.. at least comparing to my old DH rig.. there is very little pedal bob compared to that

mtbr member
    May 2017
    One thing is for sure.. my ride number four is behind me and goodness this bikes is magic on the trails, the uphill capability of this bike is really good.. and it likes speed also
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Elitest thrill junkie
    Some info here, use google translate: Pole Evo-Link 150mm 2016 - Linkage Design
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    As Toube has stated, the bike pedals very good seated. I switched to a 28T in front to eliminate most of any bob there was while standing that I felt with the 32T ring.

To me the bike seemed it would bob with the 32T for the first few pedal strokes. With the 28T, it seems very efficient.

My other bike is a Norco Revolver for reference - zero bob on that bike.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Evolink 110tr
    Large
    Fork is Yari 120mm
    Monarch rt on rear 110mm

(Me, Riding yers 10, mostly mountainbiking on Finnish paths summer and winter. Sorry my bad english.)

It may take a few driving a few times.
    I will have them at least ten and the bike will start to feel really good.
    At the beginning the steering felt strange in slow running, but now it is gone.
    It likes speed!
    But you can ride it slow too.

Lähetetty minun SM-G903F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by samu.k View Post
    Evolink 110tr
    Large
    Fork is Yari 120mm
    Monarch rt on rear 110mm
    (Me, Riding yers 10, mostly mountainbiking on Finnish paths summer and winter. Sorry my bad english.)

It may take a few driving a few times.
    I will have them at least ten and the bike will start to feel really good.
    At the beginning the steering felt strange in slow running, but now it is gone.
    It likes speed!
    But you can ride it slow too.
    Samu good looking that blue color, congrats on the bike.
    I had a friend of mine swap bikes so that he rode mine and I his bike. His immediate comment was "Damn this feels like you are just cruising in the woods, you can just enjoy the ride" His bike was a hardtail and the grip level wasn't too good on his bike so I can imagine the difference on the handling feel and grip levels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hey guys. I hope everyone is out enjoying riding their Poles

A couple of questions.
    Does the steep seat tube angle put you in a position more vertically over the bb so your knees are forward of the pedal axel? I'm concerned that this may cause knee issues in the long term?

How are the linkage and swing arm bearings holding up?

I'm flipping between the pole 140 and mojo nicolai geometron G16 with 29er wheels. Both similar in design philosophy. The G16 is a little more extreme than the pole 140.

Can't test any of them here in the US unfortunately. I'm leaning toward to pole at the moment. Anyone hear ridden both that can comment?

mtbr member

A couple of questions.
    Does the steep seat tube angle put you in a position more vertically over the bb so your knees are forward of the pedal axel? I'm concerned that this may cause knee issues in the long term?

I'm flipping between the pole 140 and mojo nicolai geometron G16 with 29er wheels. Both similar in design philosophy. The G16 is a little more extreme than the pole 140.

Can't test any of them here in the US unfortunately. I'm leaning toward to pole at the moment. Anyone hear ridden both that can comment?
    No, your crank is placed just like any other bike. You are not pedaling with your feet behind your ass. There is no wanky positioning on this bike. You just sit in the middle of it.

The linkage and bearings are serious duty. These will not need replacing for years if you are a casual rider.

I might be selling my Medium in case anyone is interested. I think I might try out the new Evil following. But then again probably not. I cant imagine a better bike than this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What's making you think of wanting to sell already? You've only had it for a few months. Is it lack of playfullness and the way it rides?

The Evil is quite a different bike so just wondered what's making you think about it.

mtbr member
    What's making you think of wanting to sell already? You've only had it for a few months. Is it lack of playfullness and the way it rides?

The Evil is quite a different bike so just wondered what's making you think about it.
    Not wanting to sell at all. Most of my trails are XC so the Pole get's ridden 25% of my time.

I'm just curious about the Evil.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

A couple of questions.

You can run 29" wheels on the Geometron G16?

And regarding your earlier questions, I'm 6' 3/4" and went with a large. Feels perfect. The Ohlins coil soaks everything up with ease and it feels like it has more than 140mm back there. The steep seat tube angle puts you in a perfect climbing position, feels completely natural, nothing to worry about there.

I actually ended up picking up an XL Evolink 150 (can be ran with 27.5 or 29 wheels) that I'm going to be using for both the bike park and enduro type riding, so my Evolink 140 is for sale on pb right now.

I'm sure you can't go wrong if you end up picking the Geometron or a Pole. Give the long wheelbase/super slack head angle/steep seat angle bikes a try, you won't regret it. I personally am not interested in "normal" bikes now.

Good info here:
    #TheGeometryAffair: Does supersized geometry work for an average guy? | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine
    #thegeometryaffair - Part 2, The Threesome | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by d3ftone View Post

And regarding your earlier questions, I'm 6' 3/4" and went with a large. Feels perfect. The Ohlins coil soaks everything up with ease and it feels like it has more than 140mm back there. The steep seat tube angle puts you in a perfect climbing position, feels completely natural, nothing to worry about there.

I actually ended up picking up an XL Evolink 150 (can be ran with 27.5 or 29 wheels) that I'm going to be using for both the bike park and enduro type riding, so my Evolink 140 is for sale on pb right now.

I'm sure you can't go wrong if you end up picking the Geometron or a Pole. Give the long wheelbase/super slack head angle/steep seat angle bikes a try, you won't regret it. I personally am not interested in "normal" bikes now.

Good info here:
    #TheGeometryAffair: Does supersized geometry work for an average guy? | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine
    #thegeometryaffair - Part 2, The Threesome | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine
    Yes apparently now you can run 29" (with the appropriate fork of course) on the G16, although going hybrid 29 front 27.5 rear is supposed to work even better.

Thanks for the links. I've read those articles and found them quite informative. I think I've pretty much read everything I can find on the Poles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yes apparently now you can run 29" (with the appropriate fork of course) on the G16, although going hybrid 29 front 27.5 rear is supposed to work even better.
    Or there is now this! 64˚ HTA 150mm 29er

mtbr member
    May 2017

A couple of questions.

You can't go wrong with either the Nicolai or Pole.. both will do the job.
    I've now done 12 rides on my evolink 150 and I have already beaten my earlier record by 6min so it really pedals well on the trails.. haven't had any time to do any DH / Enduro on it yet but I'm convinced that it will rock them too
    No problems (squeezing or creaking) with links or bearings..so I don't think you need to worry about the bearings or the links.
    Just get one and be amazed!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    Or there is now this! 64˚ HTA 150mm 29er
    Hmmmm, I didn't even see that on their site. But that price is just out of my budget for now. Maybe I get the frame, shock and fork and build it with less expensive components to get it closer to my budget, I really wish I could test ride one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Toube View Post
    You can't go wrong with either the Nicolai or Pole.. both will do the job.
    I've now done 12 rides on my evolink 150 and I have already beaten my earlier record by 6min so it really pedals well on the trails.. haven't had any time to do any DH / Enduro on it yet but I'm convinced that it will rock them too
    No problems (squeezing or creaking) with links or bearings..so I don't think you need to worry about the bearings or the links.
    Just get one and be amazed!!
    Good to know it pedals well. I'm was afraid that 140 or 150mm will bike it too much bike for the trails I ride during the week. My trails are 8-12miles of twisty wooden rooty narrow singletrack mostly flat. Every other weekend I head to the mountains where it's rough rocky and steep so it the bike would be perfect for that. I'm just concerned that the bike will feel tedious pedaling it around on the local trails as I will only have the one bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hmmmm, I didn't even see that on their site. But that price is just out of my budget for now. Maybe I get the frame, shock and fork and build it with less expensive components to get it closer to my budget, I really wish I could test ride one.
    It's a Nicolai not a Mojo bike. It's a brand new 2018 release. If you go to the "Tech Sheet" in red bold lettering at the top you see "Embargo 30.08.2017" Likely isn't a frame only option yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Here's some kind of test

https://youtu.be/bEu54dpIDcc

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    d3ftone, your 140 looks great. Looks like you went through a few iterations on forks and wheels there. How does the 150 compare to the 140 on the trail? Does it pedal as well?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Good to know it pedals well. I'm was afraid that 140 or 150mm will bike it too much bike for the trails I ride during the week. My trails are 8-12miles of twisty wooden rooty narrow singletrack mostly flat. Every other weekend I head to the mountains where it's rough rocky and steep so it the bike would be perfect for that. I'm just concerned that the bike will feel tedious pedaling it around on the local trails as I will only have the one bike.
    To me it sounds like the Evolink is just the bike you are looking for.. pedals well and you can use it as an all rounder even for DH parts

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for a great thread, Zerort! How do you find the handling of the Revolver after having ridden the Pole? The Norco has a long reach, and decent front centre for an xc bike, but the head angle is quite steep on paper. We always hear of long and slack, but I really wonder how the long and steep feels, especially compared to something with a slack head angle. I am really considering the Revolver as my xc bike next year so gathering experiences

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erik$ View Post
    Thanks for a great thread, Zerort! How do you find the handling of the Revolver after having ridden the Pole? The Norco has a long reach, and decent front centre for an xc bike, but the head angle is quite steep on paper. We always hear of long and slack, but I really wonder how the long and steep feels, especially compared to something with a slack head angle. I am really considering the Revolver as my xc bike next year so gathering experiences
    I feel more confident on the Pole. It just doesn't get upset over poor line choices. For XC racing the Norco is faster.

For any trail riding, the Pole wins by far.

I've recently just added an new 2018 Epic full suspension which has a slightly slacker HA than the revolver. That bike handles the downs very well and I feel better on it overall. However, I don't think it is as "fast" of a bike as my Revolver if that makes any sense. You can really tell the difference. The Epic shines because it is more comfortable which equates to me being less tired over long rides.

So the slack head angle really helps descending - obviously.

The detriment of the Pole for me is that it's another 5.5 lbs that I have to chug around versus the other two and I'm pretty sensitive to that weight. While it climbs just as good (and quite possibly better), the weight affects me over the long haul. This is easily seen in comparison of Strava times. I'm a minute or two slower over the same trails - roughly 8-14 miles.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the answer!
    Not surprising at all that the Revolver feels like more of a handful after riding the slacker bikes, but good to hear some actual experiences. The "fast" comment is interesting and I think that is something one just feels when riding it. It probably also relates to personal preference. I rode an Epic 29 back in 2013 and it felt fast, but was not really comfortable, suspension wise, that is. Handling wise, it was one of the best I have ridden (at that time at least).
    I have a 29+ trail bike now so only looking for a flat out xc bike. Wondering about an RM Element as well and a Top Fuel, and I did consider the Epic at some point as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

The detriment of the Pole for me is that it's another 5.5 lbs that I have to chug around versus the other two and I'm pretty sensitive to that weight. While it climbs just as good (and quite possibly better), the weight affects me over the long haul. This is easily seen in comparison of Strava times. I'm a minute or two slower over the same trails - roughly 8-14 miles.
    What does your 110 weigh? Did you do a burly build on that? This post on Pole's site shows a 110 built to 11.75Kg (~25lbs) which seems respectable for such a long alu bike and would think that it's not too far off the Epic.
    https://www.polebicycles.com/evolink-110-1175kg/

mtbr member
    What does your 110 weigh? Did you do a burly build on that? This post on Pole's site shows a 110 built to 11.75Kg (~25lbs) which seems respectable for such a long alu bike and would think that it's not too far off the Epic.
    https://www.polebicycles.com/evolink-110-1175kg/

My Epic and Revolver weigh 21.5 lbs. My Pole is 27 lbs + with light weight Rocket Rons, and no dropper post.

The 110 on the site also uses a pretty light weight DT Swiss fork. I'm running a Fox 34.

The medium frame alone is over 9 lbs. I don't think there are going to be many 110's being built that are going to come close to 11.75 KG. As soon as someone puts Maxxis tires, and a dropper, they are looking at 28 lbs and more. I think most builds will come in around 30 lbs.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Wow, didn't realize the new Epic is that light. I thought my old 2012 Scott Scale hardtail was light at 10.9Kg.

TBH I don't pay that much attention to bike weights anymore, as long as they're not a boat anchor. In the last 5 years I've only ridden aluminum framed trail bikes which all seem to fall in the 13-14kg range.

I can see that for XC riding/racing the extra weight would soon become tiresome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast