Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    No official update from Pole today. On facebook they uploaded a picture showing two evolinks being built and commented that everyone were busy building bikes for the customers at the moment. If you are in the front of the que then you will maybe have your bike in a week or two if you are lucky.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Talked to Kaisa today. Told me mine is to be shipped June 15th. Head out to BC for a few weeks riding at the start of July, hope I have it before then.
    Last edited by depeche4; 06-04-2018 at 03:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by depeche4 View Post
    Talked to Kaisa today. Told me mine is to be shipped June 15th. Head out to BC for a few weeks riding at the start of June, hope I have it before then.
    Yeah, I got the same date for my order. So lets hope this is the final date and no more delays...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Mine got shipped today!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Mine got shipped today!
    Good stuff. Still waiting for mine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Got mine today, looks pimp, going to wrap it with 3M tomorrow before I start building. Got hit for customs 330 bucks, not bad. I figured my time was up, 3 mondrakers and nothing for duty.

Interested if anyone will run a full chain guide or what bash guard they will use.

Dave

SS in CO
    so, what's the wait time on a frame? is what they're telling you pretty accurate?

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson44 View Post
    so, what's the wait time on a frame? is what they're telling you pretty accurate?

J.
    I have no reason to believe the dates aren't somewhat accurate. But they haven't been until a few weeks ago.

SS in CO
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPaulus View Post
    I have no reason to believe the dates aren't somewhat accurate. But they haven't been until a few weeks ago.
    I haven't ordered yet, I'm just wanting to know how long people are having to wait for their frames.

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I think it depends on what bike you want. I see some that has ordered bikes in the last month has gotten theirs now, so I guess they have shipped most of the pre ordered evolinks. Just send them an e-mail and i bet they will give you a better answer than we can give you.

JB
    I've had my XL frame about a week and a half now and it looks sweet! I'm glad I didn't cancel after the numerous delays. Weighs in at 9.5 lbs, only 2.5 lbs more than my Honzo!?

Ironically, the PO was about to return to sender, I would have gone postal! Check your mailbox on a regular basis, I was expecting a notice on the door like usual, but they left it in the box.

Now the question is which fork? Seems like most people are going 160. Is the recommended offset still 51mm?

Edit: The website now specs a 160 Lyric, which the geometry is based around 571 AC for 64.5 HA, so I guess the new frame has a slightly steeper HA than the old.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I went 170 36 on my 158. Still putting it together.

Any pictures?

Also, anyone know how many spacers to use on the bb? I am using an Xt boost crankset with that new bb which is smaller (did not know that until I took it out of the box).

Anyone running both the shifter cable and rear brake internally? I put the housing through today (brand new from a xtr shifter) and it looks a little short. Think I will just keep the brake external.

Thanks,

dave
    Last edited by depeche4; 06-23-2018 at 03:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Got my 158 today, and had my first ride on it. I must say that this is one impressive bike. It is a better climber than my Ripley, and of course a much better decender. The bike felt very natural from first pedal stroke. Both seated and standing the bike bike felt very comfortable. I think I will be getting along fine with this bike. Have some strange creaking sounds that i can't seem to find the source of, otherwise the bike is very quiet and a sweet ride. It is heavy, but you can not feel the weight when climbing. It is slow to accelerate, but i have the heaviest wheels and tires so that is probably the problem, and not only the weight of the frame. I would not call this bike plush, but not harsh either. It is probably something in between. But I guess you can adjust the suspension to suit your needs. It is almost like you feel invincible on the bike, but I was reminded that I was not invincible. Had one bail today, so not a full on crash like i usually do. All things considered, I can not really fault this bike. Excited to get a few more rides on it now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Got my 158 today, and had my first ride on it. I must say that this is one impressive bike. It is a better climber than my Ripley, and of course a much better decender. The bike felt very natural from first pedal stroke. Both seated and standing the bike bike felt very comfortable. I think I will be getting along fine with this bike. Have some strange creaking sounds that i can't seem to find the source of, otherwise the bike is very quiet and a sweet ride. It is heavy, but you can not feel the weight when climbing. It is slow to accelerate, but i have the heaviest wheels and tires so that is probably the problem, and not only the weight of the frame. I would not call this bike plush, but not harsh either. It is probably something in between. But I guess you can adjust the suspension to suit your needs. It is almost like you feel invincible on the bike, but I was reminded that I was not invincible. Had one bail today, so not a full on crash like i usually do. All things considered, I can not really fault this bike. Excited to get a few more rides on it now.
    Any issues with the rear shock? Did you put and spacers in?

dave

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    no spacers. no issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Got the second ride on the Pole today. Man this bike is super impressive. It is such a good climber. I can get up almost anything so easy. Don't even have to get out of the saddle, traction is perfect sitting, and the front end will not lift. I was thinking today when i was climbing some really steep and slippery slopes that this is almost like cheating. Don't get me wrong, it is no rocket going uphill, but it just crawls up almost any slope like it is nothing to it. Have not bothered using the climb switch. It feels pretty darn effective fully open.

Also downhill it is so stable at speed, and super fast. I have never ridden a bike that has given me such confidence going downhill on the second ride. Usually it takes a few rides to get comfortable on the bike, but this bike just feels so right from the beginning. I am sure I will find things to hate on this bike with time. But right now I am just so impressed and having a lot of fun.

SS in CO
    anyone have a Pole 130? seems like everyone has a 140 or 158...

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm really liking the Machine as my next bike. At 6'9" the XL may actually be the first bike that truly fits me. I also like the Evolink 158 as well but like the higher stack height on the Machine and the less weight. Anyone my size have any time on one?

Thanks in advance!

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Sold my XXL Hightower LT a couple days ago in anticipation for the 2019s coming out soon but the reality is I won't have a new Santa Cruz in my hands until Sept/Oct and since my hardtail Pole Taival isn't built up yet (frame might get to me end of summer/early fall). I took the opportunity to snag a used XL Evolink 150. The previous owner shared it early in this thread.

Being 6'8" 250lbs with a 7'2" wingspan the long reach REALLY appeals to me along with the steep S/A and long wheelbase. Interestingly considering the Evolink 150 I got runs 29" wheels there will be a higher BB height and low stack to consider so I already have some Deity Holeshot 38mm rise bars ordered to help counter that.

The Evolink 150mm has a stack of 599mm compared to the SC HTLT:654mm, Evolink 140:639mm, and Evolink 158:652mm. Pretty significant differences.

The HTLT is an excellent all around weapon with a few flaws, in my eyes the Pole addresses those particular flaws but it will be interesting to see how of the rest of the bike's features and performance stack up to what is the excellent HTLT.

Personally I think most modern/mainstream mountain bikes are so grossly undersized for me that the benefits I will experience with the Pole (long reach, long bike, steep S/A will outshine other performance related attributes.

Evan

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nolan17 View Post
    I'm really liking the Machine as my next bike. At 6'9" the XL may actually be the first bike that truly fits me. I also like the Evolink 158 as well but like the higher stack height on the Machine and the less weight. Anyone my size have any time on one?

Thanks in advance!

-Nolan
    Stack is pretty similar i guess? The machine is measured with a longer ac than the evolink.

SISSIF
    Tracking Machine inbound. Trying to stay calm. 😛

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Received the email I have been waiting on, my Machine has been shipped.

The wait doesn't seem as long now - it's all perspective huh.

SISSIF
    Yeah, Bro. Hoping for smooth transport, good packaging, and no Customs snafus.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    As much as I would love a Pole Machine, it is too expensive for me at the moment(building a house). I did however pull the trigger on a Guerilla Gravity Smash in XXL, it is a $500 upcharge for custom but it comes with a 530mm reach, 685 stack, and a 1295 wheelbase, all rather close to a Machine in XL. I really want to feel inside the bike so stack height was the biggest feature that pulled me from wanting the Machine. I am still subscribed to this thread and I really look forward to your builds, maybe someday I will have one myself. Cheers!

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Received my new-to-me XL Evolink 150. Coming from an XXL Santa Cruz Hightower.

Considering this 2017 model is more of a 27.5 bike that can run 29 as opposed to the inverse the high bottom bracket combined with small stack makes my saddle to handlebar ratio hysterically out of proportion and will need to get a new Rockshox CSU to get my bars up to a reasonable height to unload my hands. The +40-50mm of extra stack the new Evolinks have would be greatly appreciated but I am patiently waiting for my Taival frame to be available.

As it is, I am VERY excited about this bike. I love the reach and suspension kinematics. The handling style this bike requires of throwing your weight or "muscling" the bike around comes very intuitively for me since I am 6'8" and athletic.

I will create a separate build thread to track my mods and share my thoughts but wanted to share some initial pics in here!

Cheers!
    Evan

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-img_3165.jpgEveryone wants to ride my Pole-img_3166.jpgEveryone wants to ride my Pole-img_3164.jpgEveryone wants to ride my Pole-img_3173.jpgEveryone wants to ride my Pole-img_3175.jpgEveryone wants to ride my Pole-img_3174.jpgEveryone wants to ride my Pole-img_3167.jpgEveryone wants to ride my Pole-img_3168.jpgEveryone wants to ride my Pole-img_3169.jpgEveryone wants to ride my Pole-img_3170.jpgEveryone wants to ride my Pole-img_3171.jpgEveryone wants to ride my Pole-img_3172.jpgEveryone wants to ride my Pole-img_3179.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Wow, awesome Evan. Thanks for the great pictures.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

A box arrived from the Northern Hemisphere

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-pole-1.jpg

Machine time

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-pole-3.jpg

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-pole-4.jpg

It looks like I have number 87. Darn it, I wanted number 81.... oh well, this one will do. Just fine, mighty fine actually.

Holding the frame in my hands, it feels about the weight of an Enduro bike frame, but I must say it feels on the light side of the spectrum to me. Impressive weight for an AL hitter. Having said that, it has a substantial feel to it to. Running my hand over the TT and wow, it is such a nice tactile feel. It has some very sexy lines, either with your eyes open or closed - hehe, you know - I love it....

SISSIF

Machine - First Ride

Beautiful bike.
    Very fun to build and ride.

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-mg.jpg
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Finally got mine built as I just got home from riding in BC.

Here it is, large 158.

I have not set the suspension yet, anyone got any hints for the rear? I am 215 pounds and the nice people at RS do not include any hint of a air pressure. I did put 6 bands in it to make it more progressive. Coming off of a Fox DHX 2 with a 550 spring on my Mondraker.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everyone wants to ride my Pole-img_0771.jpg  

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-img_0772.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pole 1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	1207233

Machine time

Name:	Pole 3.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	1207234

Name:	Pole 4.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	1207235

It looks like I have number 87. Darn it, I wanted number 81.... oh well, this one will do. Just fine, mighty fine actually.

Holding the frame in my hands, it feels about the weight of an Enduro bike frame, but I must say it feels on the light side of the spectrum to me. Impressive weight for an AL hitter. Having said that, it has a substantial feel to it to. Running my hand over the TT and wow, it is such a nice tactile feel. It has some very sexy lines, either with your eyes open or closed - hehe, you know - I love it....
    Yeah that frame is from another world believe you me I know😁
    Where did you find the frames production number?

mtbr member

Here it is, large 158.

I have not set the suspension yet, anyone got any hints for the rear? I am 215 pounds and the nice people at RS do not include any hint of a air pressure. I did put 6 bands in it to make it more progressive. Coming off of a Fox DHX 2 with a 550 spring on my Mondraker.

Dave
    Leo recommends a much more active suspension for these bikes with very little compression and little (fast) rebound but of course there are many different riding styles so what suits you may vary.

I would remove ALL of the bottom out rings and play around with pressure first and add rings in pairs as needed.

From what I have gathered via Pole and other users this is what I would suggest:
    Remove volume reducers
    Set sag to 30%
    Run zero compression
    Run lowish rebound (I have about 5-6 clicks from full open)

Give it a test ride, ideally with some bigger hits to test bottom out resistance. If you want more support for pedaling try more pressure and/or some compression. If you are bottoming out or using ALL travel on rather mild terrain, add 2 rings>

Most riders seem to keep sag between 25-30% I tried 25 and there was noticeably more support but the ride quality went down, I currently hover around 28-30% sag.

Worth noting: I came from a Hightower LT and if I can zero compression and fast rebound I would feel like I would get ejected. Oddly I don't have that same sensation on the Pole so don't let the zero compression/fast rebound scare you. I can feel fast when po-going on the street but give it a real trail test, I found it to be quite pleasant.

Evan

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks Evan, I will give that a try. What fork are you running? An LT eh, that was my other option but I already have a SC TB3 as my trail bike. I like trying different things, that is why I was a Mondraker guy for years.

Dave

mtbr member
    Thanks Evan, I will give that a try. What fork are you running? An LT eh, that was my other option but I already have a SC TB3 as my trail bike. I like trying different things, that is why I was a Mondraker guy for years.

Dave
    Yea, had an XXL HTLT, it was cool but not as cool as the Pole. I am a large human so the added size of the Pole really suites me and the Pole is a much faster bike.

I am running a 160mm Lyrik RCT3 with an upgraded Luftkappe air piston, it's a nice match to my Monarch as both a very supple.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    There's a stamp under the BB and it is either the number 87 or it is L 8 (if I turn it up the other way).

Or it is a stamp that is not related to us and for factory use. Guessing it is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

The build can begin

The cranks have arrived, time to build her up.

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-ee-w-3.jpg

Should match up okay

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-pole-4.jpg

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-ee-w2.jpg

Wheels have been built up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everyone wants to ride my Pole-ee-w-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hi,

thanks I will have a look at mine.
    Lovely cranks btw. What brand are they?
    CaneCreek eeWings..those are beauties and pricey Will fit like a glove
    What other high end parts are you planning to use?

You defo need this also
    https://www.bikethomson.com/product/seatpost-collar/
    Silver one.
    Last edited by Toube; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Mine says M12.. medium frame production number 12 probably..

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    The cranks have arrived, time to build her up.

Name:	ee W 3.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	1209296

Should match up okay

Name:	Pole 4.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	1209297

Name:	ee W2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	1209294

Wheels have been built up.
    🤤🤤🤤

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    That's a thought, it could be Large 8 to. haha

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

I am Polarised

It looks fast sitting still

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-pole-10-7.jpg

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-pole-13.jpg

This is my first bike in 10 years that has no carbon.

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-pole-16.jpg

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-pole-20.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks sick congrats on a beautiful bike build.
    7075 T6 aluminium is good quality and should perform just as good as carbon in the mtb scene.
    Chromag stem, I also have the BSA stem but in red to suit to fork
    Everyone wants to ride my Pole-cm5oezp.jpg
    Everyone wants to ride my Pole-hhgg7tt.jpg
    Some bb protection
    Everyone wants to ride my Pole-b4ymx88.jpg
    stopping power
    Everyone wants to ride my Pole-xsv0zi4.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Excellent Toube. Likewise, nice bike mate.

Hey I hate you for your brakes. I have some on order, but they are making them so it is months in the making. I can't wait to get them. Have you ridden yours how do they feel.

I at least got the pad upgrade to get me by.

Cheers
    W

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Holy shit those bikes are so pimp!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Did I show you my Pole Hole, inside the head tube shot. If you love metal work and machining the Machine is amazballs.

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-pole-hole.jpg

And here is a rear end shot.

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-pole-18-2.jpg

I will be building up a rear coil shock for it soon. There's a coil in the front fork to match it up with.

SISSIF
    Did I show you my Pole Hole, inside the head tube shot. If you love metal work and machining the Machine is amazballs.

Name:	Pole hole.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	1209776

And here is a rear end shot.

Name:	Pole 18 2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	1209777

I will be building up a rear coil shock for it soon. There's a coil in the front fork to match it up with.
    Great build! So are you running the PUSH ACS3 conversion at 170mm? I'm thinking that would be a good fit. The 180 Lyrik I have is more like 170 anyway with the debonair larger negative spring suck down.
    Hope to hear a ride report soon.

mtbr member
    Coil shock up front, do the Fox fork have a coil inside?
    This one is currently being tested by Pole itself and is also a recommendation by Pole for a coil shock:
    https://dirtmountainbike.com/dirt-100/2018/ext-arma/

I going to ride my bike with the stock RS super deluxe for a year or two.
    I also just received Robert Axle Project thru axles with out any QRL:s

Any hows I've done 4 rides on the machine and would like to do more but my back just couldn't take it and I had a major lumbago last Sunday so it's rest for me now.

In comparison with my previous bike (Pole Evolink 150) on the local trails:
    - The Machine is much more confident inspiring as a whole bike than evolink was
    - Suspension is soft and plush and the grip is enormous.. just grips and you don't need to worry about anything
    - Feels like you can go over any obstacle and rock that is in your path.. if you have the courage of course
    - Climbing is very good
    - Downhill.. well I don't have that steeps downhills in my local trails but the ones that are found I just push the bike as hard as I can and still it just feels like the bike is nowhere near it's limits.. my limits perhaps

About the brakes.. I need to shorten my brake hoses.. they are currently way too long.. but first I need a bleed kit for them.. I was lucky enough to find a pair online without the 6-9 months waiting time

They have unbelievable stopping power in them.. One finger seems almost to powerful.. but they do really offer a great progression when braking so you don't have to use much power.. but there is a learning curve for those also.. use too much power and your in for a surprise at least with the front brake

mtbr member
    How does coil up front work? Do they have anything that addresses bottom out resistance, such as hydraulic bottom out (e.g. EXT Arma and Manitou Mattoc Pro)? I notice that EXT doesn't have a bumper like commonly seen on other coils for the purpose of providing spring rate ramp, because it has that feature built-in. That bottom out bumper was at least useful for reporting how much sag you have, when comparing to other users, by just sliding it up like an o-ring. xD I'm considering just ditching tokens and adding in neopos instead in my fork, to get it to be more coil-like, but with at least some ramp.

I'd like to hear more about the extreme forward geometry and how people find themselves pedaling in bumpy tech. Typically I just hover over the saddle on my bike, but I sort of push away from the bar and the cranks in sort of a rearward direction, which sort of suspends/isolates me from the bumps to allow me to pedal continuously. When I tried this on a steep STA bike, I found myself wanting to push back still, and it was too upright to comfortably stay "centered" over the saddle. I'm thinking the zone between standard slackness (73d) and steep (77-79d) is no man's land or something. Might have to verify on a new-school hardtail, since a HT is what I initially drilled the technique on, mainly to keep the rear from bouncing too high over bumps and to keep bumps from transferring into my back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    How does coil up front work? Do they have anything that addresses bottom out resistance, such as hydraulic bottom out (e.g. EXT Arma and Manitou Mattoc Pro)? I notice that EXT doesn't have a bumper like commonly seen on other coils for the purpose of providing spring rate ramp, because it has that feature built-in. That bottom out bumper was at least useful for reporting how much sag you have, when comparing to other users, by just sliding it up like an o-ring. xD I'm considering just ditching tokens and adding in neopos instead in my fork, to get it to be more coil-like, but with at least some ramp.

I'd like to hear more about the extreme forward geometry and how people find themselves pedaling in bumpy tech. Typically I just hover over the saddle on my bike, but I sort of push away from the bar and the cranks in sort of a rearward direction, which sort of suspends/isolates me from the bumps to allow me to pedal continuously. When I tried this on a steep STA bike, I found myself wanting to push back still, and it was too upright to comfortably stay "centered" over the saddle. I'm thinking the zone between standard slackness (73d) and steep (77-79d) is no man's land or something. Might have to verify on a new-school hardtail, since a HT is what I initially drilled the technique on, mainly to keep the rear from bouncing too high over bumps and to keep bumps from transferring into my back.
    Isn't neopos only for Formula forks?
    Are you talking about a bump stopper?
    I usually just sit down on the Machine / evolink when climbing bumpy rock gardens.. if steep enough then I just stand up and lean forward a bit but not too much so that I don't loose grip. The long front is pretty good at keeping the wheel planted.. it might rise a bit but nothing dramatic.

mtbr member
    No more QRL in the way replaced with Robert Axle Project thru Axles
    Everyone wants to ride my Pole-3evtbld.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toube View Post
    Isn't neopos only for Formula forks?
    Are you talking about a bump stopper?
    I usually just sit down on the Machine / evolink when climbing bumpy rock gardens.. if steep enough then I just stand up and lean forward a bit but not too much so that I don't loose grip. The long front is pretty good at keeping the wheel planted.. it might rise a bit but nothing dramatic.
    Oh ya, I forgot that Pole runs long chainstays, so the wheels are extra planted. Nm, no apples to apples comparison to be found in this thread. xD

Neopos just drops right into a positive air spring chamber. Was designed for a 35mm stanchion, but may fit in a 34. Not sure if it can fit in a '16 36, considering it has a transfer shaft, but there are holes in the neopos. The spring rate change it promises reminds me of the Manitou IRT's marketing. Just hope they don't make noise, since they're not secured to anything.

The Push ACS has a secondary spring that serves to offer bottom-out resistance. I'm just not familiar with other coil forks, like the Ohlins, Ribbon, Helm, and whatever else I don't know about. Do these guys not have any anti-bottom-out feature?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Iím not familiar with those either, but Iím pretty sure all of them have either a heavy rate air spring on top of the coil spring like the push or they manage it hydraulically in the damper like the avalanche cart. Itís basically a tapered cone at the top of the damper that displaces oil resting in a cup, also on top of the damper, providing gradual bottom out support in the last 20ish mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Name:	Pole 10 7.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	1209700

Name:	Pole 13.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	1209697

This is my first bike in 10 years that has no carbon.

Name:	Pole 16.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	1209698

Name:	Pole 20.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	1209696
    Definitely a beauty. Did you weigh the frame. I only remember seeing a video a few months ago when they were still developing it and they said it was 5.5kg (w/o shock). I know this is enduro/park bike - but hopefully they cut some of the porkiness out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Finally got a proper day on my mine. Using it at the bike park, the one thing that blew me away is the traction. I remember I felt on edge sometimes on my dh bike, this, not one bit. For a bike that has a crazy reach number it does not feel that way. I only have a 30 mm stem on it but that was the same as my foxy with a 500 reach and that just felt more radical in a way. Then again, that was 3 years ago when longer front ends were almost blasphemy to the industry, especially here in North America.

Set up was not bad, at 215 with shit on I have 250 psi in the rear with 6 clicks from out. I also have 6 bands so it is nice and progressive.

It was nice and slick clay today, so I did not let it go, plus the first real ride. It is very fast in a straight line.

Dave
    Last edited by depeche4; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:19 PM.

SISSIF
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Definitely a beauty. Did you weigh the frame. I only remember seeing a video a few months ago when they were still developing it and they said it was 5.5kg (w/o shock). I know this is enduro/park bike - but hopefully they cut some of the porkiness out.
    Medium frame 3.58kg w/o shock.

mtbr member

Here it is, large 158.

Dave
    Sweet build Dave, I really like that Fox Grip 2 fork.. orange is the new black
    Poles are bad asses when it comes to descending.. climbing is also not a problem for the bikes..you just need some power in your legs and it will climb up a tree

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

First ride down south

Only two short rides and already I can see that this is going to be a very positive experience. The bike is up there with other top line bikes. It is a class act. I look forward to exploring its limits and nuances.

Some early notes are: Great comfort, great grip, great pedalling, surprising manoeuvrability and of course balance.

The seating position and cockpit is one of the best I have experienced. There is a real connection between seat up and seat down locations. At times you can raise the seat (tired of sprinting Ė howís that core) and the positions match so well that you sustain your speed, seated or standing. Very interesting.

One personal caveat is that I am used to steep SA and slack HA, the Machine is spot on for cockpit ergonomics (I suspect I could have it slacker for steep stuff, we shall see). Very comfortable and once rolling, very Zen as you disappear into the bike. Super natural to ride. And seated riding can be fast, even through the jinky janky stuff.

Pedalling efficiency is excellent for a 160mm travel bike. Remember your first ride on a Nomad 3 way back that first time years ago, how well that pedalled, well the Machine is better than that and add to that the 29er wheels, it rolls fast to boot. Bang up to date pedalling characteristics.

In fact, if you pedal nice and smooth you can really motor along and get your XC on. Up slight single track upgrades, you can build some seriously good rolling speed. If it gets steeper and you must dig in on the pedals, then you can feel that you have longer travel Ė not bad at all or ill-mannered or bobby, good, normal for the travel range you are carrying Ė natural and expected at some stage. I only rode it in open setting. Flat and gentle up and down, you can grind out some serious speed it is very efficient.

As the down gets steeper, the famous Pole suspension lets fly (antisquat drops away) and the rolling speed picks up another notch. It goes. Very fast.

Handling is intuitive. In some parts I was jinking some trail bike tracks, with trick berms and little doubles and rollers etc, bread and butter fun stuff. I was smiling and enjoying, take command and it is very capable of attacking nimble. I was immediately ripping it in hard and throwing it about with surprising abandon, we had got on together very quickly for a new steed. Could you do super tight stuff for 2 hours, probably not, but when fresh-ish, it is just as fun. Tight isnít an issue, but if you are doing tight for 80% of your ride, which you wouldnít if you bought a bike like this, then I can imagine it would tire you because you have to command the inputs, not impossible not scary, just purposeful.

I approached a few well known loose corners, where I know to get the foot out for some moto action, twice the bike just ripped around and I had to put my foot back. Super grip. Other times into loose over hard corners where (in the past) I get some slip and feel for it under the tyres and manage my lean angle while you pucker and wait for more slip than you want at speed, again, no slip just grip and speed. I was lifting my vision earlier with this Machine.

This Machine has some speed.

Only a trail bike centre ride but I can tell this has plenty in reserve. It wasnít un-enjoyable to ride as a trail bike. It was surprisingly fun, but that could be the honeymoon phase talking. I tend to always pedal harder on a new bike. I shall step up the terrain now and see how it goes on some steeper stuff.

mtbr member
    Only two short rides and already I can see that this is going to be a very positive experience. The bike is up there with other top line bikes. It is a class act. I look forward to exploring its limits and nuances.

I shall step up the terrain now and see how it goes on some steeper stuff.
    Hi WilliamK,
    great write up.. the Machine will take you were you wanna go
    What suspension setup did you use? Mainly on the rear suspension, sag etc?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Been torn between the Machine and the Rallon. Any thoughts either way?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey mrazz both options are high quality bikes, so you won't go too far wrong. I saw the Rallon when it came out, it looked progressive enough for me to consider. I have seen some comparo reviews on the Rallon and they suggest it doesn't go down as hard or fast as other options - like a Commencal 29 or Sentinel. So may be the Rallon's spectrum of riding shades into big trail bike terrority a little. The Machine I believe will give you a whole lot more in the fast realms and yet is a damn fine pedalling machine. Both are a top of the line choice.

mtbr member
    Heard the Rallon was an all-rounder bike. I interpret that it's meant to take the place over many bikes in a quiver. Not a bike that is optimized to do anything particularly well.

Not much of a clue about the Machine, but it is a lot more exciting to me. There will be lots more bikes like the Rallon, as it's made in the mainstream style, which is kind of like the bike you want to settle down with long term. A top quality mainstream style bike is expected to last 3+ years, but I never saw a bike last 5 digit mileage #s before people find it perhaps being too loose and rickety. The Machine is an exotic thing that would give you higher "highs". I consider it to be a the daring choice for adventurous types. If you replace bikes after ~2 years, I think it's a more memorable experience to get bikes with such strong personality.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    True. It is a very pure ride. Pure raw metal, pure suspension because you hardly need any valve restrictions.

And the blasted thing just doesn't stop shinning no matter how dusty it is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I managed a longer ride today and I can say this is a truly great bike. I managed to relax and soak it up, push a little and explore.

Again, that seating position is amazing, really good for FBTBR posture. (Fat Bastard Trail Bike Riding). Ride fast, but lazy in the core and needing to sit down for stretches, while pedalling like a bastard.

You can hammer the trails seated. The bike feels like a medium at times, but what it is really doing is presenting your weight more forward thus maximising grip and overall steering. It is messing with my mind, in a good way Ė I swear I am going to run a tape measure over it.

It is always exciting when you can immediately get into a bike and attack straight out of the box. I am 90% fast straight away. The Machine is well sorted, just press go.

The bike melds into you and you into it, it does not feel big. And then when you go home, it is hard to fit into your car. How did they do thatÖ So counterintuitively you just attack little pops and hops and muck about. It is surprisingly manoeuvrable and certainly not restrictive. And when you give it some head and attack real cream, the faster and steeper stuff, it opens the taps, or should I say floodgates. Personally, I am finding it extremely versatile.

I rode some tracks today that I have been riding for years, and in a few parts I am inventing new lines and finding some new ones, it is a totally fun ride because it is so engaging. The new lines were predominantly all off chamber stuff. The balance and the speed bring new levels of disregard and bravado. A few corners I would take the wider line in, over non-ideal terrain and find new in speed and better exit speed.

Pole have really weaponised the grip with this Machine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrazz001 View Post
    Been torn between the Machine and the Rallon. Any thoughts either way?
    Other guys have mentioned it but if you but some forethought into the style of riding you do and pic a decent offering which matches up with the intended use, it's really hard to go wrong as so many bikes are capable weapons.

That being said I feel like Pole is waiting at the finish line of the geometry game while all other bike companies (minus Nicolai) are inching their way closer. With more and more Pole frames starting to circulate the world owners and journalists have real world saddle time are validating the enhanced capabilities of the frames.

Evan

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    +1!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the replays. I put in an order for a Large Machine. I like different, Iím just hoping itís not going to be too much bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Hi guys I'm following with interest this topic, someone can share other impression on the evolink 158?
    Thank you

Here, diagonally!
    Really intrigued by the Machine and Evo 158. I'm a clyde, and the XL geo is real close to what I am looking for. The Machine is pure sex, although I'm a practical guy and would probably go for the EVO 158.

By all reports the Evolinks pedal very well, despite the AS curve that seems similar to Spechy FSR bikes, which have been awful for me during demos. I realize numbers don't make the bike, but I have my concerns, as I don't have any excess energy to spare on pedal bob. Certainly the long rear stays would offset the falling AS curve to some degree. And I am fine with running a progressive spring rate in the rear shock, but not ok with running excessive compression damping to get the bike to pedal well.

Curious about rear tire clearance. Does a 2.6 fit with room to spare?

My wallet is safe for now, as I have a really good bike, and need all the boxes checked to get a new frame. One of those is a 157 rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    All fs bikes bob. I don't notice any excessive bobing on the 158.

You could probably fit a 3" tire with room to spare.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi guys, by any chance is there a pic of a small or medium size evolink 140? I am 5'8" and am wondering if a small or medium would be best for me in case I do get them.
    From the website, I on the lower side of a medium frame. Thnks

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Go for the medium. My gf is 5'6 and prob in between sizing of an s and m, and she is comfortable on a medium 158. Not much difference in geo between the 158 and 140.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Go for the medium. My gf is 5'6 and prob in between sizing of an s and m, and she is comfortable on a medium 158. Not much difference in geo between the 158 and 140.
    Thank you for the reply. Will be much appreciated if you have a pic of the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I am a beginner and have only biked for 3 months, but already after 1 month i saw sonething was pretty wrong with my bike vs my wife. For some idiotic reason bikes only grow in height and not in lenght percent wise so the bikes is only for hobittes. I feel cheated and cant understand the entire industry is so conservative. Look at people riding and its pretty evident. The consequence is also people is hurt and disabled. Its serious.

Now. For the light trails and minor 60cm drops i do a machine en seems like a lot of bike. But i want the safety and stability from the wheelbase and actually think the suspension is ok. But is there any other alternatives to pole?
    The 131 seems ok but i like state of the art but if i dont do endure at least the next 6 months lol- does a machine then make sense?

I am 180.5 and all normal size - is it large i need?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krumme View Post
    I am a beginner and only have biked for 3 months, but already after 1 month i saw sonething was pretty wrong with my bike vs my wife. For some idiotic reason bikes only grow in height and not in lenght percent wise so the bikes is only for hobittes. I feel cheated and cant understand the entire industry is so conservative. Look at people riding and its pretty evident. The consequence is also people is hurt and disabled. Its serious.

Now. For the light trails and minor 60cm drops i do a machine en seems like a lot of bike. But i want the safety and stability from the wheelbase and actually think the suspension is ok. But is there any other alternatives to pole?
    The 131 seems ok but i like state of the art but if you dont do endure for at least for the next 6 months lol- does a machine then make sense?

I am 180.5 and all nornal size - is it large i need?
    I'm 183 cm and use and M size of the Machine. My old evolink 150 was a L size. The M sized machine is not too small just a bit more nimble and agile than the L sized evolink was..
    And how it rides well that's what you can call a superbike ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mojak View Post
    Thank you for the reply. Will be much appreciated if you have a pic of the bike.
    Everyone wants to ride my Pole-lrm_export_20180813_191925.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Toube View Post
    I'm 183 cm and use and M size of the Machine. My old evolink 150 was a L size. The M sized machine is not too small just a bit more nimble and agile than the L sized evolink was..
    And how it rides well that's what you can call a superbike ride
    Thanx. Is the reach and stack numbers comparable to other bikes?

How nimble is nimble?
    ( i mean when i imagine a finish guy thinking nimble its him getting his grandpa old volvo 240 tuning it to 560hp and driving like crazy and halfdrunk down a fireroad)

mtbr member
    Thanx. Is the reach and stack numbers comparable to other bikes?

How nimble is nimble?
    ( i mean when i imagine a finish guy thinking nimble its him getting his grandpa old volvo 240 tuning it to 560hp and driving like crazy and halfdrunk down a fireroad)
    I would say it has a good reach for an M frame.
    For example Mondraker Dune R M frame has a reach of 470mm and Machine M frame 480 mm.
    You can always play around with a longer or shorter stem etc.
    Well as a Finn I wouldn't say nimble is a tuned Volvo 240.. they can probably be nimble too.. but more like a nowadays hothatch
    BMW M140i.. happens to be the car I currently drive.. it is a bit tuned but so is my Machine all for better driveability.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I just recently changed all family to flats even if they complained a lot. Might as well learn it while we are beginners. Any special thoughts of pole and flats?

Sorry for the noob questions.

mtbr member
    I just recently changed all family to flats even if they complained a lot. Might as well learn it while we are beginners. Any special thoughts of pole and flats?

Sorry for the noob questions.
    Np, I can't comment on the flats because I have only been using flats on all my bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Email Pole and ask them for a frame size recommendation. Iím 183cm and they recommended a large frame, so thatís what I ordered.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrazz001 View Post
    Email Pole and ask them for a frame size recommendation. Iím 183cm and they recommended a large frame, so thatís what I ordered.
    Yeah they will recommend a Large but an M size will also work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123