Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JB
    For a made in USA option, there's also the GG Smash 140mm 29er. It seems to tick the same boxes, except it has short stays, 429mm. Not sure how that affects the overall handling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    For those in the US that have bought Poles, did you pay any customs duties and how much?

Googling, I am struggling to find a definitive answer whether duty is due and the rate. I'm ready to place an order but want to know ahead of time what my final cost is going to be.

mtbr member
    No duty.

What frame and size are you buying?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks. No duty sounds good. Hopefully that is the norm and not just a one off you got lucky situation.

I'm ordering a large 140 Evolink.

JB
    Kind of a long shot, but has anyone ridden both an Evolink and Geometron/Nicolai? The geometries are very similar, but not sure on suspension characteristics, etc.

Kind of weird no XL in the Evolink 140, considering its available on the 130 and 150. Its supposed to be coming but not likely until next year.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by trail-blazer View Post
    For those in the US that have bought Poles, did you pay any customs duties and how much?

Googling, I am struggling to find a definitive answer whether duty is due and the rate. I'm ready to place an order but want to know ahead of time what my final cost is going to be.
    Linkage Design: Pole Bikes

Nicolai ION-G13 29'' 2017 - Linkage Design

There is information out there. As far as pedaling efficiency, the Nicolais are horst links that are moving towards higher and flatter anti-squat profiles. Older horst links with severe falling curves starting out at lower values were pretty poor climbers and some manufacturers(not many!), like nicolai, have been shifting towards higher and flatter curves, as seen above. A much bigger trend is to generally have around 100% AS throughout a significant portion of travel, for consistent pedaling effects. Significantly more, like 120%+, starts to interfere with the suspension, with old high-pivot bikes sometimes approaching 200%. The Pole on the other hand replicates an older horst-link profile, with about 80% anti-squat at the sag point and a steep falling curve after that, which is going to be fairly poor for efficiency. There's really nothing about the Pole linkage that would lend it towards good efficiency.

As far as the shape of the leverage curve, the Pole appears to be optimized for an air shock, and the nicolai seems to be optimized for a coil (despite them putting an air shock on it, but there's at least one thread in the nicolai forum where a guy is trying to figure out why he can't use all his travel with an air shock, it gets too progressive). Efficient doesn't mean the manufacturer has nailed the bump-absorption characteristics or matched the shock tune, so there are variables that will affect how the bike rides, besides the anti-squat profile.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Any Pole 140 owners try a fork with a smaller offset than 51mm? Chris Porter at Mojo swears by smaller offsets for 29ers being better. Transition now with their new range are going on about the smaller offset fork too.

I wondering what and if there will be any real noticeable difference between at fork with 51mm or 44mm offset on the Pole Evolink 140.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have Evolink 150 with Öhlins RXF34, which has the 46 mm offset. I have used 2 other forks with the bike, DVO Diamond 27,5 and MRP Stage 34 29. MRP had offset 51 and DVO was with 44 mm offset. With smaller offset it is little bit easier to weight the front, but the differense is quite small.
    And by the way it pedals really well with either air or coil shock. It hardly bobs at all even I am currently running it with Öhlins coil shock.
    It is my trail bike and it is perfect for that kind of riding.

mtbr member
    Any Pole 140 owners try a fork with a smaller offset than 51mm? Chris Porter at Mojo swears by smaller offsets for 29ers being better. Transition now with their new range are going on about the smaller offset fork too.

I wondering what and if there will be any real noticeable difference between at fork with 51mm or 44mm offset on the Pole Evolink 140.
    My 2018 Specialized Epic has a 42mm offset. The thing just wants to wash out all the time in slower type turns.

My Evolink has a 51mm Fox and it handles great. Leo from Pole recommends this offset.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Most probably you forget a minor detail. That there is absolutely no similarity between an Epic and an Evolink! I would suggest reading a little about trail and how it is affected by the head angle, the offset etc.

Having said that I have a 44 fork in a Mondraker Crafty and one of my friends has the same exact bike (even the size) with 51. I have ridden both and the 44 offset makes the bike more stable while the 51 is a little more twitchy.

Here are both bikes. You can easily see the difference in the offsets.

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-photogrid_1505657994659.jpg

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-img_20170917_1427071.jpg

And another one with the same tires to eliminate this factor also. We even have the same height, weight etc.

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-screenshot_20170805-212438.jpg

Pole most probably suggests a 51 offset to make the steering quicker due to the really slack head angle, wheel size and overall length of the bike.

Chris Porter on the other side has a different opinion and the same applies to the Transition guys but at the end it is a matter of personal preference and experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    Most probably you forget a minor detail. That there is absolutely no similarity between an Epic and an Evolink! I would suggest reading a little about trail and how it is affected by the head angle, the offset etc.
    No need to read. I own both bikes so I am well aware of the difference.

The example was given as a reference how offset affects handling.

Not sure why you need to slow down the steering anymore when you already have a head angle of 64.5 degrees.

But if it works for you - go for it.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Not having ridden anything as slack or long as the Pole, I have no reference of how slow or quick the steering is going to be.

I know from reading Chris Porter's views and reading the comments in the geometron thread that short offset seems to be the way to go for their geometry which is similar to the Pole but with even kslacker HA.

I don't think I'd mind slower steering as it allows you to thread the bars between trees on tight trails but how slow would it be? Is there likely to be a huge difference?

I know tat which ever I go for would feel weird because I'm also adapting to the Pole's geometry but I'd prefer to get it right first time if I can.

mtbr member
    I would stick with what the owner of Pole recommends. 51mm

I'm sure Leo has tried various offset forks during his testing.

You could even read some Facebook threads in the Pole riders group or ask the question there.

Those people are building and riding Poles. Relying on what Cris Porter says seems silly IMO. He's discussing a completely different bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    How long did it take to receive your Pole after it was shipped? The tracking says it was processed through the Helsinki facility on Wednesday and is on it's to the destination country but no update since then. It was sent via EMS which use USPS as their agent in the US. USPS tracking doesn't show any updates either so was wondering if this was normal.

mtbr member
    How long did it take to receive your Pole after it was shipped? The tracking says it was processed through the Helsinki facility on Wednesday and is on it's to the destination country but no update since then. It was sent via EMS which use USPS as their agent in the US. USPS tracking doesn't show any updates either so was wondering if this was normal.
    Mine took forever. I know it was over a month, and I want to say it was close to 2, but I can't recall exactly.

I actually thought it was lost somewhere but it did show up eventually.

They need to choose a different shipping method.

Hang in there, it will show up.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What? That's crazy. Was yours sent by the same method? EMS mail service using Posti on the Finnsh side and USPS on the US side.

I wish I knew that before they shipped. I would have paid to have it sent by another method.

mtbr member
    What? That's crazy. Was yours sent by the same method? EMS mail service using Posti on the Finnsh side and USPS on the US side.

I wish I knew that before they shipped. I would have paid to have it sent by another method.
    Yes, same method. It was very aggravating.

And Pole became a little unresponsive too which made it even more difficult.

But, like I said, it did turn up.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    It looks like the 2018 Evolinks (as well as the new full CNC frames) should be out soon, Pole has been teasing them a lot. Sounds like the Evolink frames will stay about the same, and the CNC frames will be the exact same geo and suspension kinematics as the current frames.

Personally I think the CNC frames aren't nearly as pretty as the "normal" frames, but I guess I'll have to wait and see how the finished frames look. I'm planning on getting an Evolink 140 sometime this winter so I'm excited to see the new stuff!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The 140 is great but I would like to see a 160 in 29er format.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    The 140 is great but I would like to see a 160 in 29er format.
    Pole did mention in their teaser post of the new CNC'd frames that the first bike in that line is going to be a "superenduro" bike. Not sure if that really means anything but it could be something with a bit more travel. I know they have been playing around a lot with putting 29er wheels on the 150 so I wouldn't be surprised.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have also asked them a couple of months ago and they said that something good is coming. I guess we will have to wait and see!

JB
    You can run the 150 with 29 wheels, raises the BB, but some might prefer that in chunky terrain. They're saying the 2018s will be out in Feb.

mtbr member
    Well the new frames have been announced, looks like and ETA of March. Still no geo charts yet but they are on the Pole Store site. The new 158 29er looks like it could be really cool, gonna be hard for me to decide between the 140 and the 158, will have to wait to see the geo of the 158. Preorder deals are really good too, around $1900 for a frame is great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I was looking their 158 on the site and not only there is no geo chart but also the description is from the 150!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Looks like the new evolinks come with rear mud guards. They mention new cable routing and more space for a bottle. I don't think there will be any geo changes to the evolinks. The 158 is stating a 42mm fork offset for a 29er. I'm not sure if that is a type or not. Based on my discussions with Leo, he was still of the opinion that 51mm offset was right for the 29er and his frame geo.

Perhaps the new machined frames may have slight geo changes but I don't think that they'll be much different from the evolink. The main thing about the machine frame is that it's lighter and compete with carbon. Not sure how much stiffer if at all it will be than the evolink frames.

I was on the fence about waiting for the new frames or ordering a 140 now but when they told me it would be Mar for the new frames and that would be for a more aggressive model initially, I decided to pull the trigger on the 140. I also wanted to see what the production version of the frame looked like and what the feedback was first.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I am really curious about the CNC bikes. The 500 euros discount if you preorder is a great incentive but I would most probably wait and see all the details first.

JB
    I'm in!! Just preordered a 140 XL. Was also considering a G15/16 Geometron and GG Smash, but the price is significantly higher for the Geometron and wasn't sure about the short stays on the Smash. I figure if I'm going to try the new school geo I go all in.

Price came out just over $2,000 for the frame which includes shipping, not too bad. Can't wait to give it a go. Thinking of a 150 DVO Diamond fork to pair with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    How tall are you Nevada? Did you get any figures for the reach of the XL? I too was considering the Geometron / Nicolai but the cost was too high for me at this time.

I've been flipping back and forth on a MRP Ribbon or Lyrik with Luftkappe for my 140. Haven't really considered the DVO as I heard mixed opinion on how easy it was to get dialed.

BTW, when it comes time to shipping, I would suggest you look into having it shipped via UPS/Fedex or equivalent. For some reason the frames get stuck in US customs (we assume) for ages when shipped by EMS, their current shipper. Been waiting over two weeks for my frame since it left Finland. Have an open case with USPS to find out where it has got to. They seem to think it's in customs. I think Fedex would have it cleared much quicker.

JB
    I'm 6'6". No numbers published for the XL yet, but both the 130 and 150 XLs have a reach of 535, so I assume it will be right in that neighborhood.

Good to know on the shipping, I'll have to look into that when the time comes. I've always heard USPS was best for international shipping, but maybe UPS is an option.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    I've always heard USPS was best for international shipping, but maybe UPS is an option.
    I think there is something weird going on with customs. My stuff from Germany has also just vanished off the radar. Last was it left from Frankfurt airport over 10 days ago. That was sent DHL which use USPS as their local delivery agent. I don't know if USPS are slow to get things cleared through customs or that it's stuck in some corner in a customs warehouse and hasn't even been handed over to USPS yet. But this has been the worse and slowest experience I've had with importing things from Europe. Normally my stuff is at my door within 6-7 days when ordering from the German sites or Chain Reaction.

Back on topic. Anyone tried internal routing for their dropper? Does the cable exiting from the bottom of the seat tube interfere with the shock? It looks like it's going to be really close unless you put quite a sharp kink in the cable. Not many options with external routed droppers. The Fox Transfer looks the best but I don't like that it's not user serviceable. Had too many problems with KS droppers so don't want to go there.

JB
    Yeah, I don't know. It literally took like 2 months to get my Works headset from England. I guess the hamsters that power the boats are overworked and under fed..

Kinda bums me out when I can't find certain parts (or frames) from US based companies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Just placed the order for the 2018 Evolink 140 TR in XL. Will be a loooong wait to March

mtbr member
    question for you Pole owners: how difficult is it to fold it up and re-assemble. Do you often put it in the trunk to drive to the trailhead, or is it too much of a pain to fold/unfold for every trip?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Haven't received my frame yet but judging from the videos it looks fairly simple and quick. Also depends on whether you need to remove the wheels too to get it in your car.

I know from experience that I soon got tired of having to remove the front wheel to get my bike into the back of my car and went and got a rack instead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    In case people haven't seen it yet, the geo for the 158 is up in the Pole store (scroll down to the bottom of the page).

https://polebicycles.com/polestore/p...r-29-pre-sale/

The XL looks huge, 535mm reach at a stack height if 652mm, shorter riders might have an issue with this height, it's the same across all sizes.

JB
    I'm wondering why the ST is so short on the XL. Considering the people on this bike will be 6'3" plus, why put a 19" ST on it? Standover is never an issue on any modern bike. I will have to get a 175mm dropper to have a chance of getting the seat out of the way at the height it will need to be for seated climbing. 500mm should be min for an XL frame, which the other manufacturers seem to have figured out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm wondering why the ST is so short on the XL. Considering the people on this bike will be 6'3" plus, why put a 19" ST on it? Standover is never an issue on any modern bike. I will have to get a 175mm dropper to have a chance of getting the seat out of the way at the height it will need to be for seated climbing. 500mm should be min for an XL frame, which the other manufacturers seem to have figured out.
    Warning: there are many double entendre in this post.

Depending on the dropper you are using and it's minimum insertion requirements the relatively short seatpost insertion figure on the XL of 250mm (I'm taking this to be the max insertion) somewhat compounds this issue (short seat tube with the shock running through it limits the amount of post you can get into it).

I was looking at getting a 9point8 200mm dropper; however, with a total length of 560mm it will probably be too long. A 175mm LS Lev with a length of 490mm should go close (not sure what the minimum insertion for this post is).

Other than the seat tube length / insertion issue it looks pretty good.

Interestingly the geo table seems to be based off a 170mm fork (581mm atc) but the kit mentions a 160mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thinking about ordering a 158 29er frame this weekend. Worried about warranty issues since I broke 2 mondraker foxy rear ends in less than a year. I want it to replace my Mondraker Summum Pro dh bike that I ordered (the frame) and built here in Canada.

mtbr member
    You should look up Peter Taylor on the Pole FB page. I think you would have a hard time breaking that bike.

mtbr member
    First pic of the CNC frame built up is out

Everyone wants to ride my Pole-22802672_499122500475170_7550375523650633728_n.jpg

Personally I really respect the innovation behind it and think it's a sick idea, but I'm just not a fan of the looks at all. I love the angular look of the normal Evolink frames, kinda wish they just kept those lines for the CNC frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That looks pretty slick. I like it.

mtbr member
    I really want to like it, but something about the curvy seatstays and top tube just looks off to me. The close ups on all that machined goodness look amazing though, that I can get behind.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Haven't seen any machined goodness up close. Why the external dropper? /:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gvus2001 View Post
    First pic of the CNC frame built up is out

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22802672_499122500475170_7550375523650633728_n.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	1164509

Personally I really respect the innovation behind it and think it's a sick idea, but I'm just not a fan of the looks at all. I love the angular look of the normal Evolink frames, kinda wish they just kept those lines for the CNC frame.
    My first reaction when I saw that pic was "ugh, that's ugly." But I gotta admit, it's kinda growing on me. Where is that pic from?

Also, I'm trying to figure out the longest dropper post I could get into the frame and something seems off on the geometry chart online. For the Evolink 158, if you look at the where the 'bottom' of the seat tube is by taking the seat-tube length and subtract the seat tube insert length, it is highest for the small frame (280mm above the bottom bracket). Compared to 240mm for the M, and 220mm for the large. That trend seem backwards to me.

mtbr member
    Pic is from Pole's Instagram. And for droppers that's something I'm trying to figure out too, Leo runs a 150mm fox transfer and it sounds like that can just barely be slammed in a large frame. I'd really like to run a 170mm+ post when I eventually get one of these. I'm leaning towards the 185mm bikeyoke revive, as it's insert length is not much longer than that of a 150mm transfer. The 170mm e13 dropper might work too as it's insert length isn't too long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Finally received my Evolink 140 frame. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. Lokks much nicer in the flesh than the photos. Now just waiting for the parts to arrive so I can start building. Still got to make a decision on the fork. Flipping between the MRP Ribbon, Lyrik and as an outsider the DVO Diamond.

On the topic of the new machined frame. When I first saw that photo of the built up bike my initial thought was that someone had broken its back lol. The way the top tube swoops down into that parabolic curve and the way the seat tube and head tube seem to converge above it just looks like the bike was crushed from above.

After seeing the photo a few more times it's starting to grow on me though. Will need to see a few more angles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I have the bikeyoke 185 on my large Evolink 140 and totally love it. Fits really well, and is super smooth and easy to install. I am 192cm tall with a 93cm inseam. The internal routing works fine, I use cable ties to ensure the cable housing doesn’t touch the shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by soebauer View Post
    I have the bikeyoke 185 on my large Evolink 140 and totally love it. Fits really well, and is super smooth and easy to install. I am 192cm tall with a 93cm inseam. The internal routing works fine, I use cable ties to ensure the cable housing doesn’t touch the shock.

That's good to know as I am considering the Bikeyoke dropper too. I'm 188cm. How much of the post do you have sticking out above the top of the seat tube? I'm on a large frame too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by soebauer View Post

Great to hear that you can fit the 185 mm dropper in the size L frame. I´m 193cm and have just ordered the “new” Evolink 140 in XL and have changed the dropper for the 185 mm. I did some fast calculations and came to the conclusion that it should work so it reassuring to read that it fits perfect for you.

Is that 27,5+ wheels? How does the Evolink feel in that configuration?

mtbr member
    Put in a pre-order for a M 158 frame, so stoked, but it's gonna be a looooong 5-6 month wait. Oh well, it'll give me ample time to sell the wife on the need for another bike.

The dropper post issue is tricky on this frame. I seem to limited to a 125mm post on a M or L frame. This article has some useful measurements of many different droppers: Vital MTB Face Off: The Best Dropper Seatposts - Mountain Bikes Feature Stories - Vital MTB

9point8 is another to check out if you're struggling with dropper fit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    That's good to know as I am considering the Bikeyoke dropper too. I'm 188cm. How much of the post do you have sticking out above the top of the seat tube? I'm on a large frame too.
    Sticks out some 6-7cm

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rikhal View Post
    Great to hear that you can fit the 185 mm dropper in the size L frame. I´m 193cm and have just ordered the “new” Evolink 140 in XL and have changed the dropper for the 185 mm. I did some fast calculations and came to the conclusion that it should work so it reassuring to read that it fits perfect for you.

Is that 27,5+ wheels? How does the Evolink feel in that configuration?
    Those are 29” wheels. Newmen 35mm inner width aluminium rims with 2.6” Nobby Nics APEX. Works pretty well, at least for the local trails in Singapore.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    9point8 is another to check out if you're struggling with dropper fit.
    The FallLine posts are internally adjustable for travel length. I put a 170mm in my Longer G16 frame and the post is barely above the collar.

JB
    ^^ The G16 has a straight ST, no? It should fit in that frame fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My first reaction when I saw that pic was "ugh, that's ugly." But I gotta admit, it's kinda growing on me. Where is that pic from?

Also, I'm trying to figure out the longest dropper post I could get into the frame and something seems off on the geometry chart online. For the Evolink 158, if you look at the where the 'bottom' of the seat tube is by taking the seat-tube length and subtract the seat tube insert length, it is highest for the small frame (280mm above the bottom bracket). Compared to 240mm for the M, and 220mm for the large. That trend seem backwards to me.
    Talked to Lauri,

that and the other Instagram picture is actually their new super enduro frame 180 bike that will have pre sale launched at the end of November.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ^^ The G16 has a straight ST, no? It should fit in that frame fine.
    Yes. But I'm ~175cm and ~82cm inseam. 165mm cranks.
    It's easier to subtract 10mm from the 170mm 9point8 than it would be to add 10mm to the 150mm post.

JB
    Finally received my Evolink 140 frame. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. Lokks much nicer in the flesh than the photos. Now just waiting for the parts to arrive so I can start building. Still got to make a decision on the fork. Flipping between the MRP Ribbon, Lyrik and as an outsider the DVO Diamond.

On the topic of the new machined frame. When I first saw that photo of the built up bike my initial thought was that someone had broken its back lol. The way the top tube swoops down into that parabolic curve and the way the seat tube and head tube seem to converge above it just looks like the bike was crushed from above.

After seeing the photo a few more times it's starting to grow on me though. Will need to see a few more angles.
    T-B, can you give us a ride report?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    T-B, can you give us a ride report?
    Will do but it won't be until late December now as I couldn't finish the build before leaving for business trip and then vacation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Pulled the trigger today on the 158 29er in blue size large. Now just waiting 5 months to get it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Geo is up for the new 180 / 160 Machine 29er.

https://polebicycles.com/machine-geometry/

Shorter CS at 445, and a longer seat tube on the Large and XL, when compared to the Evolinks.

EDIT: the shorter CS could be a typo on the website. The change in wheelbase between the Machine and the 158 suggests that the CS is not materially shorter than the 158.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hi There! Is there anybody here from Canada who own a Evolink or G16? If so, have you paid duties/taxes? And for people who bought a Pole bike from oustide Finland did you get the Finland tax off the price?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Welric View Post
    Hi There! Is there anybody here from Canada who own a Evolink or G16? If so, have you paid duties/taxes? And for people who bought a Pole bike from oustide Finland did you get the Finland tax off the price?
    I've heard from some people in the U.S. that shipping from Pole is $50 and there are no taxes, or import fees, so I imagine it would be similar for Canada. I'd like to hear what shipping/ taxes is for Nicholai, the G15 looks interesting to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have ordered 3 mondraker frames over the last few years, never got bagged for anything. I am hoping it will be the same with my Pole. Canada Customs seems to pick and choose what gets hit or not.

mtbr member
    I've been riding an evolink 140 for a couple months. This bike is what I've been looking for in a bike. Before I got it i was fed up with the geometry on "normal" bikes and was about to give up and buy a dirt bike. I love slack bikes but slack seat angles and cramped cockpits have been bothering me for years.
    I just pre-ordered a Machine frameset on Friday...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Lots of good feedback on the 140. What about the evolink 158? Same bike, more travel?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Welric View Post
    Lots of good feedback on the 140. What about the evolink 158? Same bike, more travel?
    158 hasn’t been released into the wild yet. Expected delivery in April 2018 (I preordered one; gonna be a loooong wait!)

But yeah, other than the slightly slacker head tube angle and slightly longer wheelbase, the geometry looks almost identical to the 140. So I would expect, as you said, same bike with more travel.

No info (that I could find) on the website about if the kinematics are different between the two bikes.

mtbr member
    158 hasn’t been released into the wild yet. Expected delivery in April 2018 (I preordered one; gonna be a loooong wait!)

But yeah, other than the slightly slacker head tube angle and slightly longer wheelbase, the geometry looks almost identical to the 140. So I would expect, as you said, same bike with more travel.

No info (that I could find) on the website about if the kinematics are different between the two bikes.

I would expect the kinematics to be similar to the 150, which according to the leverage charts Leo has posted on fb yesterday, are optimized for an air shock. Compared to the machine, the 150 the machine has less of a hook at the end of the travel. That hook is to help squeeze the last little bit of travel out of an air can.

This is purely speculation that the leverage curve will match the 150. It's possible that the kinematics are modeled after the machine.

Team _________

SISSIF
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster View Post
    I've been riding an evolink 140 for a couple months. This bike is what I've been looking for in a bike. Before I got it i was fed up with the geometry on "normal" bikes and was about to give up and buy a dirt bike. I love slack bikes but slack seat angles and cramped cockpits have been bothering me for years.
    I just pre-ordered a Machine frameset on Friday...

The Machine looks amazing! Curious if you would share your dimensions and the frame size you ordered?
    The Geo is out there enough to make it difficult to compare to my current ride.
    Thanks.
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post
    The Machine looks amazing! Curious if you would share your dimensions and the frame size you ordered?
    The Geo is out there enough to make it difficult to compare to my current ride.
    Thanks.
    6'2" 188lbs 35" cycling inseam. No idea how long my arms are. I ordered a large and I'm currently on a large evolink 140 with a 160 fork and 50mm stem.

Team _________

SISSIF
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster View Post
    6'2" 188lbs 35" cycling inseam. No idea how long my arms are. I ordered a large and I'm currently on a large evolink 140 with a 160 fork and 50mm stem.

Great. Thanks.
    5' 11" with 34" inseam. Thinking medium with a long dropper would be spot on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post
    Great. Thanks.
    5' 11" with 34" inseam. Thinking medium with a long dropper would be spot on.
    Don't be affraid to step out of your comfort zone. My teammate is about the same size as you (maybe slightly shorter legs), he's looking to get a large

Team _________

SISSIF
    Yeah, tough call. Down sizing on the Wreckoning because it was such a 'Big' bike was a mistake. The Machine is another big bump up, 5' 11"(180cm) puts me right on the line between sizes.
    Looking for accurate numbers, I've seen chainstay lengths from 445 to 456 and wondering if there is different lengths for different sizes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Leo is on a m+ size don’t know when that is released but I’ll wait for that

SISSIF
    What are Leo's dimensions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12