Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Ergon GC3 Grips - First Impressions

Jeff from Ergon hooked me up with a set of Ergon GC3s. Just got them delivered today, mounted them up tonight and will ride them tomorrow morning.

Mounting them up was a little trickier than normal. The barend can be adjusted independently of the angle of the grip but both are locked down with the one outboard set screw. I cut 3/4" off each side of the stock Cannondale bars that came on the 29'er F4 with pipe cutters. I then sanded off any burrs or rough spots. This cannot be overlooked as I came to find out later on. I slid on the grips, adjusted the the angles of both the barends and grips and tightened down. I hopped on barefoot to just get a little ride around the driveway. First time I pulled on the barend the right one spun in my hand. Upon closer inspection I had not slid the grip fully onto the bar. My suggestion to those mounting these up is to remove the barend from the grip and then mount the grip first so you can make sure you have the grip far enough inboard so that there's enough room for the barend clamp to engage both the handlebar and the grip which is must also lock down.

I love the feel of the barends. The pictures I've seen on the interweb don't do them justice. I had been worried that they might be too thin for my hands but they are much thicker when viewed on profile and very comfy.

Here are some preliminary pics. I will post more along with my impressions after I get a couple rides in on them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    that is quite a cockpit!
    bikeone

Living the thug life.
    I am confused, are those grips 29'er specific?
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

no fat chicks
    those pics and the review were both awesome
    you should totally be sponsored and write for a magazine
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketoridebikes
    those pics and the review were both awesome

you're on a roll

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    pure. sex.

all it needs is some aero bars

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K
    pure. sex.

all it needs is some aero bars
    in purple

NMBP
    It looks like Ergon finally has a long enough bar end that I could actually hang onto it. I might have to give them a try.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketoridebikes
    Since he's published his opinion without even using the product, he'd be a perfect reviewer for Bicycling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by flargle
    Since he's published his opinion without even using the product, he'd be a perfect reviewer for Bicycling.
    I believe I did use the word "preliminary" in my initial post......

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote"My suggestion to those mounting these up is to remove the barend from the grip and then mount the grip first so you can make sure you have the grip far enough inboard so that there's enough room for the barend clamp to engage both the handlebar and the grip which is must also lock down."
    So what you are saying is you should read the instructions that come with the grips.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    so these go on the handlebars?

im confrused!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hmm....tough crowd..

Quote Originally Posted by JoeOxfordCT
    Hmm....tough crowd..

Just make fun of them for not riding long enough to get it.

I think they look great. Know Jeff, when will we able to buy the bar end pieces and the grips separately for retrofitting?

Apr 2007
    I've wanted to try these out, but my ESI Chunky's have not failed me yet. Perhaps one day.

I like the grips, but those bar ends are atrocious! Sorry, not trying to flame, but they are.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    those look nice i tried to find them on the internet and most sites were sold out except competitivecyclist.com and they sold for 59 bucks.
    I would like to see your review after riding on them.
    Anyone know of anyother places to buy these grips?
    Last edited by khunter0211; 05-26-2009 at 09:15 PM.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I can't deal with the Ergons. I really liked the idea in principle and bought a set a while back but I found they had two problems.

1. The grip places your hand in a fixed position. I found this more tiring than a regular grip.

2. I could not find a position which was both comfortable for just riding along, and did not make me feel I was going to slip off the grips on tech downhills.

They seem very well made and admirably light. But I went back to Odi/Oury lock-ons.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Now Jeff, when will we able to buy the bar end pieces and the grips separately for retrofitting?
    It is in the works as I type this. Ergon here in the USA is pushing to get the German side to have this ready to go by 2010.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

New question here. Where can we get these?

Jeff at Ergon,

Are these available to the public now? Should we go through our LBs or are they on the net?

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Quique W
    Jeff at Ergon,

Are these available to the public now? Should we go through our LBs or are they on the net?

Yes! Yes! Yes! Bike shops can get them through QBP. One online source is Competitive Cyclist....provided they have not sold through them yet.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by Quique W
    Jeff at Ergon,

The combo is a really great concept. But with the built in grips, it looks like the those L-barends could make it all by themselves.

What would be REALLY cool? Get them to mount interally so mounting barends do not reduce the width of your cockpit.

Ergon Bike
    In North America only, we will be selling the GX3 and GC3 barend sets separate from the grip. These barends can actually be used with out the Ergon grip. So, if you like the barend...and don't like the grip....you can match the GX3 or GC3 barend up with your favorite grip of choice. We will be selling these direct from the Ergon USA website in the coming weeks. MSRP is looking to be around $35 for a set.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

The Duuude, man...
    I'm a huge fan of the Ergon grips. I first started using them last fall on my SS, then put a pair on my geared FS bike for the 09 Ouachita Challenge. I have trouble with some hand and finger numbness in my right hand's pinkie and ring finger if I use traditional grips, so I find the Ergon spreads out the contact with the palm and allows for no-numbness.

Further, I have spread the gospel to all my riding buddies, who almost ALL run them...except my lone friend with a carbon bar...we can't seem to get a good bite on the carbon, the grip just slips.

A pair of Ergon's will grace my super-secret Queen of all my Dreams build, which will be finalized probably in January...the only non-power-bling item on the bike...

---

All that being said, this bar-end combo looks like a abborition of some '80's expirament gone wrong...sorry, fuggly!! Not at all good for e-riding... Fo' would not be pleased. In all fairness tho, I think bar ends are the deep end of Ghey-ness.

---

One more note about the grips: they come in 2 sizes...and the sizes are mis-named, me thinks. The "small" is the best size I would guess for most people. I wear and have always worn XL gloves - I can't get my hand into size Larges...however, the Ergon "Small" grips are the correct size for me..the "Large" is friggin' NBA-Star sized... The naming convention might need to be re-evaluated. All my XL-Glove wearing and XXL glove wearing buddies also ride the "small" Ergon...
    FS: Everything

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    ...except my lone friend with a carbon bar...we can't seem to get a good bite on the carbon, the grip just slips.
    See this link: http://ergonbike.wordpress.com/2009/...rips-slipping/

Also, email me at jeffk@ergon-bike.com

Depending on the grip model and when you purchased it, there might be a clamp defect that is 100% covered by warranty.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON
    In North America only, we will be selling the GX3 and GC3 barend sets separate from the grip. These barends can actually be used with out the Ergon grip. So, if you like the barend...and don't like the grip....you can match the GX3 or GC3 barend up with your favorite grip of choice. We will be selling these direct from the Ergon USA website in the coming weeks. MSRP is looking to be around $35 for a set.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    Good deal. I've been enjoying the GX2s quite a bit on my Sultan the last few weeks, but once I beat the barends up a good bit, I may have to try the longer xx3 barends. I expect the grips will outlive the bar-ends, for me. Good fit on an aluminum Truvative 680mm (26.8") low-rise bar.

I think you're only allowed to use barends on a riser bar with a 29er.
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast