Thread: Epic vs Spark?

mtbr member

Epic vs Spark?

Hello, all.
    I am in need of feedback and advice.

I went from a 26" Epic to a 29" Epic two years ago. I now ride a 2011 Epic Expert Carbon with upgrades to include the carbon Roval wheels and an XO/XX drivetrain. The XL bike weighs in a hair under 25lbs.
    I love the 29er and I love the Epic. If I had one complaint, it is that it is a bit long (more difficult to manuever), and although it has been custom fit, it still seems like a big bike for me.

I got the nod from the wife to potentially buy a new bike, so I am looking.

There are no 2013 Epic S-Works available locally or from Spec. There are some frame sets, but not colors that I would like.

Historically, I have waited until this time of year to purchase the outgoing year (in this case, 2013). Unfortunately, there just isn't much inventory to get a good deal.

I have widened my scope to now include a 2013 Scott Spark RC.
    It is at a good pricepoint and looks like a sharp bike wtih good specs. I am not a fan of the DT Swiss nude shock and it comes with the stock DT Swiss alloy wheels.

So, I was wondering if anybody had feedback on the Scott Spark RC as I have not ridden it yet. Has anybody ridden both lines and have input?

Thanks in advance.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The geometry on the Scott Spark is sick. I rode both the Epic and the Spark and ultimately decided on the Epic because of the brain and the fact that the Epic had a lifetime warranty whereas the Spark only had like a 3 year warranty (don't quote me on that but I remember it was not lifetime). However, when it came to handling, the Spark felt natural from the minute I jumped on it, more natural than the Epic felt. I really enjoyed the way it handled, to the point that I sometimes kick myself for choosing the Epic because the brain and warranty and not because the handling of the bike. Both are awesome and you should try to see if you can get to ride one since everyone's tastes are different.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Trek Superfly 100 SL turns sharper than both bikes...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The 2014 Epic world cup might be something to look at.

More aggressive set up, less travel and shorter.

mtbr member
    I originally chose the Epic for its race platform, but with each new Epic that I have purchased, I have found that I use the "Brain" settings less and less.

I have not been a fan of the Trek Superfly and I have read less than stellar reviews of it. It is just not on my radar.

As far as the 2014 Epics, they look pretty sick, but again, the S-Works is rising another $500 to $10,500 and they are pricing themselves out of the market for anybody but the rich and the sponsored.

I am also trying to stay with a 2x10 and the WC Epic runs the 1x11.

Any other opinions on the Spark vs Epic?
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I liked Spark

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Re: Epic vs Spark?

And the Niner Jet Rdo or carbon?
    You can buy frame only and use all your parts or configure it at your tastes.
    Superb handling and very efficient and light.
    Just a tought

Enviado desde mi LG-D802 usando Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If you're coming from an Epic you may notice that the rear brake is mounted on the chain stay which means you'll get some reaction into the suspension, whereas the Epic has functionally neutral braking. It's not a big deal, and in some situations with long travel bikes you might want some squat, but it's perhaps one of the bigger differences in the suspension design. Otherwise, the bikes are pretty equivalent in what they end up doing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy View Post

As far as the 2014 Epics, they look pretty sick, but again, the S-Works is rising another $500 to $10,500 and they are pricing themselves out of the market for anybody but the rich and the sponsored.
    I have 2014 S-Works on the way. I'm not rich or sponsored by Big S.

The reason you are using less and less of the brain is because the brain keeps getting better and better. There is less need to fiddle with it once it is setup correctly. That was the original idea behind the brain.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Scott Spark!
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    I have owned 2 Epics. The brain is really cool technology but based on living in a root littered trail system in the southeast, the brain just became irritating. I rode a lower end Spark during my last guys trip to Colorado. It took a few miles to get used to the twin loc then I just fell in love. The DT Swiss on the lower sparks kinda sucked but geometry is awesome if you like bombing downhills. I'm hoping demo a spark with higher end DT shock to see if it's any better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I like the slacker HTA and adjustable geo on the spark....and the lack of a brain.

mtbr member
    Loved my spark. Great geometry. The TwinLoc is awesome if you live in area where the trails are dominated by long climbs and long descents (I do). But it is less effective where the trails are flat, fast, and rough...the middle setting becomes too stiff, and the long travel setting doesn't offer enough pedalling platmform. For flatter areas I would have swapped out the DT adjustable shock to something with a platform setting at full travel.

Sick bike, I highly recommend it. If for no other reason than the way the Sparks handle!
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Re: Epic vs Spark?

Hehe I am liking your comments on the Spark's geo. I have a Scott Scale and selected it over 5 other 29ers I tested because the Scale's geo "just felt right" and awesome!

I have been thinking about the Anthem 27.5 which I have demoed whose geo feels a bit meh. After eyeballing the Spark's geo it looked like something I would like better and after seeing u guys commet on it like that...confirmed!!

Scott dials it in quite nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2