Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

From Enduro 29 to Scalpel 29 - What to expect?

So, I ditched my Enduro 29 Comp (sad day) for a 2013 Scalpel 29 Carbon 2.

A lot of the stuff around where I live now is more uphill and I wanted a carbon FS bike that'd be a dream to climb on.

Going from 6" of travel to 4" has me a bit worried but, I'm wondering:

Has anyone else gone from a long-travel trail bike to a XC bike?

What are the major differences?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sadness.

mtbr member

From Enduro 29 to Scalpel 29 - What to expect?

And a bad case of herpees from the cannondale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTB B'dos
    WOW So basically you've gone from a ultra plush, slack angled bike to a very harsh, steep angled bike, hum

What you'll notice more is the geometry a lot more so than the loss of suspension. You'll find the Scalpel feels nervous and twitchy on steep descents the Enduro used to have no worries on. You will find that the Scalpel climbs better by far compared to the Enduro, no two ways about it, but do you really have that any hills that only go up and not back down or race? There's guys here on Scalpel Ultimates and while they're light and fast on the flats and ascents, they are always complaining on their DH performance. From my personal experience, if I could only have 1 bike, it WOULD NOT be something like a Scalpel or Epic, just for the angles, not travel. Actually I have my 1 bike stable bike right now, the Banshee Phantom - adjustable geo 67.5/68/68.5*, 105mm of rear travel matched to a 120mm fork, 17.5"/17.4"/17.3" stays, climbs amazing, descends even better.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Went from a Stumpjumper " 26 " to a Scalpel Team carbon 29er.

As much good stuff as you hear about the Enduro, It won't climb with the Scalpel.

If a fast nimble XC bike that climbs like a dream was what you were looking for then you found it. I ride mine everywhere and find it more then capable in the rough .

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Don't you still get to ride down after all that climbing? I can't imagine making that change, but I hope you enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sounds to me like you went too far in both directions. You can find a bike that climbs well but also decends well, or one that does one a little better than the other. If you wanted an all out XC machine, the Scapel will do the job. Never ridden 1, but XC bikes will be more rigid. Just enough suspension to absorb small hits. Great pedaling efficiency and sharp steering. When you point it down steep terrain they get awful. Rider skill can acomplish much in this regard but its a XC rig after all ! Not meant for too much beyond that. JM2c.

mtbr member
    You could always get a happy medium, coming from Enduro 29 to a XC race bike will feel awkward, you should try a Niner RIP RDO or Ibis Ripley instead
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Damn.

I know I should have just got that new carbon Tallboy!

We'll see how I like it. If I hate it, I'll just sell it for really close to what I got it for and get a trail bike.

COTA member
    The point is far more time is spent climbing (unless you shuttle). So why not have a bike that excels at climbing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I haven't even ridden the scalpel on dirt yet, just tried an alloy one out back of the shop. I might love it. We will see this weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Just because AM bikes are a lot more capable than XC bikes doesn't mean XC bikes aren't capable.

It's not like he's going from an AM bike to a cyclocross bike.

Yes, it's going to be different, please be careful and take your time getting use to it, etc., but as long as the terrain isn't super rugged that change isn't going to kill the fun that is MTB, it will just make the way you ride a bit different. OP, I think you'll be amazed at how much more efficient the bike is on flats, straights, and climbs.
    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post
    Sadness.
    Second that!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    The point is far more time is spent climbing (unless you shuttle). So why not have a bike that excels at climbing?
    Cuz it will break when I launch it like the Enduro. Can't launch off stuff uphill

Despite my 29lb Enduro and doing pretty well on it, it's nothing like my carbon fiber hardtail for climbing. That cannondale isn't going to be the most active FS bike, some other more modern designs are a better tradeoff IMO (the E29 sure isn't one of them), but it will climb great and accelerate much better.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

There's always next year.
    I personally went from a Tracer 29 (5.5") to an Epic last year. For me, and the trails I frequent, it was the right choice. I'm faster everywhere on the Epic as compared to the Tracer. Today I rode a trail that I often see riders shuttle with big travel / DH bikes. Did I walk some sections? Yup, but they were the same sections I walked on the Tracer as well (super tight switchbacks kill me and super technical sections with lots of exposure that I tend to walk).

Here's what I noticed, and might be helpful to the OP: If you were really using that 6" of travel, and spending lots of time in the air, you'll need to reset expectations--but that should be obvious.

With that said, XC bikes these days are pretty gosh darn capable machines--especially if you have some skills as a rider. However, the "margin of error" is much smaller on the Epic as opposed to the Tracer. I can't just plow EVERYTHING. I have make sure I have a plan to attach trail features, and really work on looking down the trail, even more so when carrying lots of speed. If I wonder off mentally, I find myself in over my head, so to speak...

With that said, for me, its a much more engaging (interesting) way to ride. I can't imagine my next ride having much more than 4" of travel out back--unless I find myself in a completely different area of the nation. Since the bike can't 'bail me out,' my skills have gotten sharper, and I'm a better rider today than I was 18 months ago.

The last thing I'd suggest (if you haven't already) is to throw a dropper post on the Scalpel. Might sound weird, but that was the best upgrade I've done. I know its not the case, but it feels like the the whole geometry of the bike relaxes when the seat gets dropped.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post
    Sadness.
    Yeah. So, I had fun on the way up, but hated it on the way down.

Much too stiff for my liking. Enduro had me spoiled.

I'm going to sell this bike and probably get a carbon Tallboy or Tallboy LTc.

Sadness is right. It's a rocket ship going up but on the way down, it's a pain factory

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    Because they aren't as fun.

To the OP - Nothing wrong with the Scalpel. The difference you'll notice is that you are getting a much faster bike overall, but way less fun.

Gotta figure out your priority. Fun = Big trail bike. Fast = Steep XC bike. if you're somewhere in the middle - either two bikes or a slack-ish 5" full squish.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yuppie View Post
    Yeah. So, I had fun on the way up, but hated it on the way down.

Much too stiff for my liking. Enduro had me spoiled.

I'm going to sell this bike and probably get a carbon Tallboy or Tallboy LTc.

Sadness is right. It's a rocket ship going up but on the way down, it's a pain factory
    If you dislike the Scapel that much you probably won't like the Tallboy either as I don't think it's going to be all that much more forgiving, seems like the Tallboy LT is the way to go for you.
    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_03 View Post
    If you dislike the Scapel that much you probably won't like the Tallboy either as I don't think it's going to be all that much more forgiving, seems like the Tallboy LT is the way to go for you.
    Agreed. Tallboy LT it will be. I just need to get this thing sold now. It's in NEW condition! lol

Long Travel Lover
    Look at the Intense Carbine 29er. Best all around bike I've had, like an updated, slacker TBLTc. Used it for a rocky XC endurance race this spring and ended up selling my 4" XC bike when I had been planning on keeping both.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Look at 140 mm of travel. The Enduro's at 160 lately, right? For me, 160 (an Ibis, so YMMV) is where I cross the threshold to way too big a bike and no trail feel.

I really enjoy my race bike. But, I race. When I demo, I feel like trail bikes climb a little vaguely and descend like XC bikes. Lame. If I'm going to sacrifice a little on climbing, I'd like to get something in return on the descent. I had a lot of fun demoing Trek's 140 mm bike the other day (Remedy?) - doesn't climb any worse than a Fuel, descends a lot better. Nice.

Go to some demo days, and don't go off half-cocked again. Either you can't get as much money back out of your Scalpel as you think now, or you aren't going to lose that much more value on it by waiting a little longer.

Also think about some "real" tires. A lot of XC bikes come with really pathetic tires. They're impressively fast during a parking lot test ride, though. :-p Stick some actual mountain bike tires on there, or even just one, on the front, and you may find you feel a lot more secure.

What else? If you set up the cockpit wrong or didn't bother to do it at all, it's not good for handling.

So not to dismiss your current dislike for the bike, but maybe take two approaches - try a few inexpensive tweaks on the Scalpel and see if it grows on you, and also demo some bikes and make sure you get it right if you do decide to plunk down the credit card again.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

MTB B'dos
    Look at geo and suspension design, you don't need a whopping amount of travel for a plush, relaxed trail bike. You want a HTA of <69*, chainstays <17.6", designed for a 120mm+ fork and shorter stem with longer ETT, active suspension design that pedals well.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If I didn't race, I'd probably find something in the 120-140 range if I only had one bike (probably closer to 140 27.5).

I'd suggest demoing as many bikes as you can. There are many designs which still climb well and are good descenders. Check out an Ibis Ripley (I didn't care for it, but some people really like them) in addition to the TB.

mtbr member
    The Scalpel is an XC race bike. If you race, you need something like it. If not, might I recommend the Niner RIP9?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    The Scalpel is an XC race bike. If you race, you need something like it. If not, might I recommend the Niner RIP9?
    Yes, you might. Looks like a great bike. Is that aluminum only? The RDO is the carbon?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast