Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    the fact that your bike shop would have the gall to say there was a "best climbing bike ever made" says a lot. Ten different people, ten different answers. Do you want a bike that's active? A bike that digs in? A bike with a lockout? A bike with a URT? Inertia valves? 3" tires? A hardtail? The scalpel is undoubtedly a well designed bike, but there isn't that much truly exceptional about it.

The enduro, on the other hand, has been praised by every magazine reviewer for its handling. Maybe not the most efficient bike, but definitely one of the best, if not the best, handling 29ers out there. Not trying to be a fanboy, my last bike was a cannondale and my least favorite bike company is specialized, but they knocked it out of the park with the enduro 29.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    the fact that your bike shop would have the gall to say there was a "best climbing bike ever made" says a lot. Ten different people, ten different answers. Do you want a bike that's active? A bike that digs in? A bike with a lockout? A bike with a URT? Inertia valves? 3" tires? A hardtail? The scalpel is undoubtedly a well designed bike, but there isn't that much truly exceptional about it.

The enduro, on the other hand, has been praised by every magazine reviewer for its handling. Maybe not the most efficient bike, but definitely one of the best, if not the best, handling 29ers out there. Not trying to be a fanboy, my last bike was a cannondale and my least favorite bike company is specialized, but they knocked it out of the park with the enduro 29.
    you are probably right. if its repeatedly praised by magazines that must mean its truly amazing. i have been misled i am pretty sure to believe too much of what i read on mtbr forums. i have spent some time for example in the Turner forum and until i read this thread, was convinced from their posts that the DW link is the best, but only DW made for Turner and not other manufacturers.

It's honestly pretty confusing since so much on the internet is off base. I think i will just hedge my bets and only focus on input coming out of the 29er forum since people here seem extremely well informed.

I also don't know anything about URT...is that better than DW link? Do they have carbon frames employing URT (which I assume to be a type of suspension design?)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I don't know if you're trolling or not...but again, going from such a highly regarded frame, both professionally and user-based, to another that most people don't even bother to mention...seems odd. Everything has good and bad points, but this sounds like an overcorrection.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    I don't know if you're trolling or not...but again, going from such a highly regarded frame, both professionally and user-based, to another that most people don't even bother to mention...seems odd. Everything has good and bad points, but this sounds like an overcorrection.
    He's def trolling and it was def an over correction.

Wether I sell my Scalpel or not, I'll be demoing a Bronson and a Tallboy LTc.

At any rate, I'm going to ride my scalpel and work on my legs and lungs.

We can put this thread to bed now.

Someone lock it, or delete it. It's been real.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Ignoring anything Fo types will make your life better.

Quote Originally Posted by yuppie View Post
    He's def trolling and it was def an over correction.

Wether I sell my Scalpel or not, I'll be demoing a Bronson and a Tallboy LTc.

At any rate, I'm going to ride my scalpel and work on my legs and lungs.

We can put this thread to bed now.

Someone lock it, or delete it. It's been real.
    yes, please lock this thread as the internet should only exist for discussions that contribute to the betterment of humanity. either that or i want my money back from consumer review

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Ignoring anything Fo types will make your life better.
    troll

mtbr member
    Yeah no doubt about the suffering! My wrists were killing me. One thing you will notice about the Santa Cruz versus a Specialized is they do run a bit shorter top tube for the equivalent size bike, I am running a 90mm stem on my size large. Of course that could be because I am coming from an Epic, so that's what felt comfortable to me, and I am six feet tall on a size large frame, but it feels similar to the Enduro 29er as far as reach, and I only ran a 75mm stem on the Enduro, but the Enduro had a layback Command IR seatpost as well, so there may not be that much difference now that I think about it, anyway, best of luck with whatever you choose, but I would give the Tallboy LTC a try before you buy anything else!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr80015 View Post
    Yeah no doubt about the suffering! My wrists were killing me. One thing you will notice about the Santa Cruz versus a Specialized is they do run a bit shorter top tube for the equivalent size bike, I am running a 90mm stem on my size large. Of course that could be because I am coming from an Epic, so that's what felt comfortable to me, and I am six feet tall on a size large frame, but it feels similar to the Enduro 29er as far as reach, and I only ran a 75mm stem on the Enduro, but the Enduro had a layback Command IR seatpost as well, so there may not be that much difference now that I think about it, anyway, best of luck with whatever you choose, but I would give the Tallboy LTC a try before you buy anything else!
    I loosend up and leaned back on the same trail yesterday and I was able to take the hits a little better. This thing climbs great but not a really 'fun' bike. Very twitchy downhill.

I want to demo a LTc but, the LBS is against it. I need to find a demo day or something like that but the more I look at the LTc, the more I want it. I might just keep the Scalpel and save up to get the LTc as well!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The Scalpel climbs like shite compared to a cross bike!

All kidding aside, if you really don't own a shock pump, you have no idea what the Scalpel -- or any other bike -- is, or is not, capable of.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    The Scalpel climbs like shite compared to a cross bike!
    duh. according to this thread, the scalpel is a cross bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The OP is a total idiot for ditching his Enduro 29er in the first place. The END.

mtbr member
    So many AM/longer travel bikes out there that are just fine for climbing. Not fast, per se, but they'll get you to the top. My non-XC racing philosophy (as you can see by my bike choice) is to get a bike that you can pedal up, slap on a tiny chain ring, take your time on the way up, and have a blast on the way down. SteepandCheap.com has 24 medium LTc's for $1800.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post
    The OP is a total idiot for ditching his Enduro 29er in the first place. The END.
    Agreed

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    So many AM/longer travel bikes out there that are just fine for climbing. Not fast, per se, but they'll get you to the top. My non-XC racing philosophy (as you can see by my bike choice) is to get a bike that you can pedal up, slap on a tiny chain ring, take your time on the way up, and have a blast on the way down. SteepandCheap.com has 24 medium LTc's for $1800.
    I need a large. Also, I'd be looking at getting their 2015 model.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3