Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

From Enduro 29 to Scalpel 29 - What to expect?

I your looking for a good platform for climbing and descending why look any where else but at a stumpy. I love mine. I have yet to ride another bike that's made me second guess this bike. Plush when you need it and climbs like a billy goat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    How about the Pivot 429 , carbon or alloy. Demoed the carbon awhile back: Fast bike both up and down and on the flats. The DW suspension in the rear is very good in many ways.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    How about the Pivot 429 , carbon or alloy. Demoed the carbon awhile back: Fast bike both up and down and on the flats. The DW suspension in the rear is very good in many ways.
    Great recommendation. DW is unreal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yuppie View Post
    Yes, you might. Looks like a great bike. Is that aluminum only? The RDO is the carbon?

Yes, Niner makes a hydroformed alloy and a carbon fiber version of most of their bikes. Either one has really fine craftsmanship. I myself have owned a Jet 9 aluminum, currently ride a Jet 9 Carbon, and have a couple of friends with the Jet 9 RDO, but we are racers. I have another (girl) friend who does epic rides all over the country and she had a first-gen aluminum RIP 9 and now has the new hydroformed RIP 9 aluminum. With 2.3s and a Pike fork it's a beast! But if you want something really unstoppable, check out the 27.5 eater, the WFO 9.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    If you're in your early 20's you'll be fine, else hahahahahahaha

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Those NINERs are sounding about right.

The more appropriate question is:

What is a fair asking price for a brand new 2013 Scalpel Carbon 2?

mtbr member

The wfo is a niner I want to ride. That looks like so much bad ass fun😎

mtbr member
    I actually have a Scalpel so I can tell you what to expect. Phenomenal climbing. This thing just goes. Not quite as fast as a hard tail on smooth climbs, but as close as you can get to a hard tail. Technical climbs is where it absolutely dominates. Everybody telling you that you have lost a ton when it comes to descending is flat-out wrong. Can you just blow over stuff like you can with the enduro? No, you have to be more careful with your line choices. But if you have the skill this bike can go nearly anywhere the Enduro can. I get a little beat up on rocky descends, but that's because I run 2.1s that are actually closer to 2.0s. The only place I would say that you will truly be losing in, are the bigger (4+ foot) drops. Heck, this thing even jumps pretty well. Plus, the benefit of running a racier geometry is that it is incredibly snappy. Nearly no wagon wheel feeling. If you don't like the 71 degree head tube angle, you can move the spacer from the top of the stem to the bottom and slacken it just a tad to make it more stable on the downhills. I haven't because I don't feel the need.

Plus, as you ride circles around them, you can point and laugh at the others as they suffer up the climbs on their heavy all mountain rigs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yeah. So, I had fun on the way up, but hated it on the way down.

Much too stiff for my liking. Enduro had me spoiled.

I'm going to sell this bike and probably get a carbon Tallboy or Tallboy LTc.

Sadness is right. It's a rocket ship going up but on the way down, it's a pain factory
    Tallboy in carbon if possible is a great choice. 130-140 Fork will keep it a climber and on the way down its still a blast. Pike is obviously the best fork but other options are good too. I have what's considered a CX rig (not in my opinion) its slacked up front with bigger fork and its a blast. Climbs and blasts DH. Just wish wheelbase was shorter but hey, its a hell of a stable bike.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    I'd be ready to take a $500 hit on the Scalpel. 2nd hand generally means no warranty.
    If you liked the Enduro's ride maybe look into a Camber EVO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HSracer View Post
    If you don't like the 71 degree head tube angle, you can move the spacer from the top of the stem to the bottom and slacken it just a tad to make it more stable on the downhills. I haven't because I don't feel the need.
    Ok, I need to find a tutorial on this one. I asked my LBS about it when I first picked it up. He said that since the mounts on the fork are fixed, you can't do that.

Are you guys talking about the thick piece right below the top fork mount?

mtbr member

Ok, I need to find a tutorial on this one. I asked my LBS about it when I first picked it up. He said that since the mounts on the fork are fixed, you can't do that.

Ok, I recently pulled apart my stem to clean it so I know how to do it.

1. Loosen the bolts that hold on the Lefty.
    2. At the bottom of the head tube is a place where a BB9 tool can be used to unscrew the piece that runs through the head tube. You can actually see it in your picture. When you find it it's easy to see where the bb9 tool's teeth go.
    3. Unscrew that piece. Remember it's upside down, so it unscrews the opposite way you first think.
    4. Take that piece out.
    5. Find something small enough so it can fit through your head tube and reach the stem. I used the handle of a hammer, but many use PVC pipe.
    6. Using a hammer, hammer up towards the stem until it pops loose (mine was tight and took a while to get). Make sure whatever you are using ( PVC, wood, etc.) is in contact with the stem, not the bearing.
    7. Remove stem and spacers. You have three on there (black, green, black). I'm not sure how many you want to move, so you might have to play with this.
    8. Remove desired number of spacers and put the stem back together. Remember to re-grease everything.
    9. Take the spacer(s) you removed and put it on the piece that runs through the head tube. Push it all the way to the bottom. It will fit perfectly.
    10. Screw the sucker back in.
    11. Replace bolts that hold the Lefty on.
    12. Done!

Let me know if you have questions. This is also a great time to clean and re-grease everything.

MTB B'dos
    Your shop's full of $hit and don't know WTF they are talking about. There's no need to move/change where the clamps are on the fork, you are just moving a spacer from ontop the headtube to below it to give a roughly 1/2 degree slacker HT angle. I've done it for the guys down here with Scalpels and they said they didn't notice much of a difference. What I'd suggest is that coupled with doing this, you also run quite mis-matched tyres of say 2.1-2.2" in the back and 2.4" upfront, as this will also help slacken the HTA a bit more and you'll prob get around 1 degree total with the right tyre combo.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm not going to swap all this stuff around just for a 1 degree change.

I probably wont notice it. What I am noticing is the bike is just much too stiff for my liking.

That new 650b Enduro sounds tempting. I think it'd get rid of the big-ol boat feeling I had with my Enduro 29.

I'm also looking at a Tallboy LT.

Just need to sell this Scalpel already!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Before you buy this time, rent bikes. Some bike shops have tons of rentals and will apply the price to the purchase price. Ride on the trails you normally ride on and bring tools to keep adjusting the bike on the trail (shock pump!).

My main bike is a tallboy LTc which I love. My backup bike is a 29er carbon hardtail with a 71 degree HTA. I have to be a lot more careful with the 71 degree HTA as it is much easier to stuff the front end.

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: From Enduro 29 to Scalpel 29 - What to expect?

I'm not going to swap all this stuff around just for a 1 degree change.

I probably wont notice it. What I am noticing is the bike is just much too stiff for my liking.
    What happens when you let some air out of your suspension?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    this thread hurts my brain.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, it mostly seems like a elaborate marketing scheme to sell a bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Maybe elaborate, but not too successful.

I'm considering buying a shock pump. Would be good to have for sure.

While it's waiting to be sold, I'm going to keep riding it as I've heard this lefty needs to be broken in a little bit.

At any rate, I'm eyeing the Tallboy LTc, the Niners, which seem to be out of my price range, Jekyll 27.5, Trigger 27.5, Enduro 650b and the like.

I'm not going to fiddle with the head angle or the tires, but I will try letting some air out of the lefty.

I like the fact that this bike doesn't feel like a 29er at all. It responds so fast and handles so well. I'd just like some more squish.

If no one comes close to the price I'm asking, I'll just keep the damn thing!

Neg reppers r my biatches
    what to expect? you should definitely expect a plethora of douchebags, self included, replying to your thread professing via electronic ejaculation how smart they are and how how much more they know about you than even yourself

next time you go to buy a bike, to ensure an optimal transaction, post an MTBR poll prior

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Look at geo and suspension design, you don't need a whopping amount of travel for a plush, relaxed trail bike. You want a HTA of <69*, chainstays <17.6", designed for a 120mm+ fork and shorter stem with longer ETT, active suspension design that pedals well.
    Which is exactly what the Pivot 429 is. Put on a dropper post and that thing rips going down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I don't think there's anything disingenuous going on here...it just seems terribly weird to me to go from what is widely considered to be the best handling aggressive 29" long travel frame to a somewhat generic 4" travel "cross country" bike before giving it more than a once-over. I think the enduro is probably overkill for 90% of the trails I ride but I wouldn't give up the handling for anything. The kinematics of the suspension systems are pretty similar, so it's not even like you're moving to a more efficient bike, just a lighter one with more upright geometry. On top of that, he's debating what wheel size he's after...it might be worth to go back to the drawing board and try a few and see what clicks with you.

mtbr member
    Yeah. So, I had fun on the way up, but hated it on the way down.

Much too stiff for my liking. Enduro had me spoiled.

I'm going to sell this bike and probably get a carbon Tallboy or Tallboy LTc.

Sadness is right. It's a rocket ship going up but on the way down, it's a pain factory
    I went from an Enduro 29er to an Epic WC and although it was amazing on the climbs, it just was too twitchy on the descents, ended up selling it and got a Tallboy LTC and am very happy with it. It has a steeper head angle than the Enduro and a 2 inch shorter wheelbase, which makes switchbacks much easier, but still retains most of the travel. Try a Tallboy LTC, you will be impressed!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr80015 View Post
    I went from an Enduro 29er to an Epic WC and although it was amazing on the climbs, it just was too twitchy on the descents, ended up selling it and got a Tallboy LTC and am very happy with it. It has a steeper head angle than the Enduro and a 2 inch shorter wheelbase, which makes switchbacks much easier, but still retains most of the travel. Try a Tallboy LTC, you will be impressed!
    Thanks for the info!

Yeah, same with me, much too twitchy on the downs!

Like what the LTc has to offer but I'm also looking at the Heckler.

Santa Cruz will be my next bike for sure.

I'm thinking I will just keep the scalpel and save up for the new bike.

Finally someone that was in the same situation as me! Haha

Dont go from big travel to stiff suffering!

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    ...widely considered to be the best handling aggressive 29" long travel frame...
    i asked my bike shop about that and they disagreed. in fairness, they dont carry specialized. they carry cannondale and they said the scalpel is the best climbing bike ever made, especially if made in carbon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast