Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Flight Junkie
    Reputation: IBIKEAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    835

    Endurance racing tire choice

    OK, I've got the 24hrs of the Old Pueblo race this next weekend. I currently run Mythos tires. I was wondering what you guys would choose for a good endurance race tire. I was thinking of buying the new Maxxis Ignitor or a set of Nano's. Anyone with time on both? Do you think that either one would be better than the Mythos? anyone know the weight difference between the 3 tires? Thanks Scott

  2. #2
    Where's Toto?
    Reputation: endure26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,196
    How about the Bontrager XR's?

  3. #3
    being is
    Reputation: pseudo intellectual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    282

    nano in back

    put the nano in the back for the most efficient propulsion. doesn't matter so much what you put in front as long as it grips ok and has sufficient volume.

  4. #4
    C-Hog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    458

    Kinda been wondering the same thing...

    ... but for a different upcoming event. I have the Ouachita Challenge coming up... not the same event as yours, Scott, but still an endurance event none-the-less, and so really the same question. I too,would be anxious to hear the thoughts/recommendations of those out there with experience doing these types of events. Here are four tire combinations I have been considering, all of which I would run w/ Stan's Tubeless system. All would probably work OK. Which would be the best? Or is there a better choice?

    1.) Front: Nano / Rear: Nano
    2.) Front: Mythos II / Rear: Nano
    3.) Front: Mythos II / Rear: Mythos II front tire on rear
    4.) Front: Continental Vapor / Rear: Continental Vapor

    ps: Scott... not intending to hijack your thread. My thought was that the best tire choice for your event would probably be the best for the OC as well. "Kill two birds with one stone," so to speak.

  5. #5
    Flight Junkie
    Reputation: IBIKEAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    835
    That's OK by me, basically the same question. How much luck have you had with the Stan's system? What tire/rim have you been using? I'd like to do it, but the blowoff stories around the 29er crowd kinda scare me off.

  6. #6
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by IBIKEAZ
    OK, I've got the 24hrs of the Old Pueblo race this next weekend. I currently run Mythos tires. I was wondering what you guys would choose for a good endurance race tire. I was thinking of buying the new Maxxis Ignitor or a set of Nano's. Anyone with time on both? Do you think that either one would be better than the Mythos? anyone know the weight difference between the 3 tires? Thanks Scott
    I've run the 24OP race with a bunch of different tires.
    26" Larsen TT
    26" Exi/Epic Wolf
    29" Nano
    26" Nano
    26" Python

    Ideally, I think the Exi/Epic tire worked best, but in the 29" version, it's heavy and unnecessarily big for this course - unless you are full rigid. The 29" Nano will serve you very well out on the course. If I was racing a 29er this year, I'd run Ignitors. As it is, I'll be on my small wheeled bike with 26" Exi/EpicWolfs.

  7. #7
    paintbucket
    Reputation: wooglin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,825
    Haven't settled on a back tire yet, but I plan to run the Jones ACX on the front for the OC. Its light, and its worked well under a variety of conditions for me. As long as I don't screw up and trash a sidewall in the rock sections I think it'll be fine. I ran my fave 26" tires last year, Mythos XC 2.1s front and back, and was real happy with them, so I'll probably try the same in 29" on the back.

    I don't know that what works in the desert SW is going to be best for OC as well. I imagine the trail surfaces will be as different as night and day.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

  8. #8
    C-Hog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    458

    My experience with Stans

    Quote Originally Posted by IBIKEAZ
    That's OK by me, basically the same question. How much luck have you had with the Stan's system? What tire/rim have you been using? I'd like to do it, but the blowoff stories around the 29er crowd kinda scare me off.
    My first 29"er was an '03 Fisher Hardtail. I had two sets of wheels... a Bontrager Race, which I ran w/ tubes as my training wheels; and a Bontrager RaceLite, which I set up tubeless for racing. Initially, I couldn't keep tires on the Racelites. They blew off. Comparing the two wheelsets, I was able to confirm that the RaceLites were undersized. Trek replaced them at no charge, and I have had no problems since. I have run IRC Notos and Mythos, WTB Nanos, and Continental Vapors with great success. I have total confidence in the Stan's system... as long as you have a good rim/tire fit.

    I just purchased a new '05 Paragon. I let one of my old wheelsets go with my old bike. The other used wheelset will become my training wheels. My new '05 Bontrager Race wheels will become my new race-day wheels. I plan to try them tubeless soon... just haven't gotten around to it yet.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    84

    try the Xr's

    I've just got a pair of the Bontrager XR's, and i like 'em. I've always been a big fan of the mythos front, and these new babies are like a fast rolling mythos. I plan on racing them this year on hard pack courses (tubed). Good luck and have fun! Great race, wish i could make it down there this year.
    Fred

  10. #10
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,021
    Dito the XR's, I hope they can live up to my expectations in terms of speed. Grips should be pleny on dust and hardpack, but yet to test that.

    MikeC once wrote on the Kenda Karma 700x50c's. Fast looking tire, which he was considering for the GDR. I'd love to try those once, looks like a medium width Big Apple with an extra bite.
    Over sandy soil, I can get away with a rear Big Apple 2.35". Not light though, almost 1kg.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

  11. #11
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,250

    Last year...

    I ran Nanos front and back. Worked great in the conditions last year, but I've heard it might be a bit wet this year.
    Good luck, and have fun- it's a great event!

    the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

    http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

  12. #12
    Flight Junkie
    Reputation: IBIKEAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    835

    XR's

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Dito the XR's, I hope they can live up to my expectations in terms of speed. Grips should be pleny on dust and hardpack, but yet to test that.

    MikeC once wrote on the Kenda Karma 700x50c's. Fast looking tire, which he was considering for the GDR. I'd love to try those once, looks like a medium width Big Apple with an extra bite.
    Over sandy soil, I can get away with a rear Big Apple 2.35". Not light though, almost 1kg.
    Do you think the XR's are much different from the Mythos? The tread pattern looks very similar on the Speedgoat site. Have you tried both? I'm looking for faster and a little lighter than the Mythos. I would be willing to try them but they just look so similar.

  13. #13
    WAWE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridemore24
    I've just got a pair of the Bontrager XR's, and i like 'em. I've always been a big fan of the mythos front, and these new babies are like a fast rolling mythos. I plan on racing them this year on hard pack courses (tubed). Good luck and have fun! Great race, wish i could make it down there this year.
    Fred
    I switched out my Mythos for XRs.... XRs have way more grip and waaaay more cush.

    XRs suck in mud, btw.

  14. #14
    the cool nerd
    Reputation: sportsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,643
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    I've run the 24OP race with a bunch of different tires.
    26" Larsen TT
    26" Exi/Epic Wolf
    29" Nano
    26" Nano
    26" Python

    Ideally, I think the Exi/Epic tire worked best, but in the 29" version, it's heavy and unnecessarily big for this course - unless you are full rigid. The 29" Nano will serve you very well out on the course. If I was racing a 29er this year, I'd run Ignitors. As it is, I'll be on my small wheeled bike with 26" Exi/EpicWolfs.
    soooo.. if someone was/is foolish enough to run the 24OP race with a fully rigid SS, which tire would you recommend? particularly considering that we may be riding through some very wet sand...


    thanks

    scott

Similar Threads

  1. Oregon XC racing tire options?
    By Spidermonkey in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 02:10 AM
  2. blast from the past, cut/paste from archived MTB DOC posts
    By ashwinearl in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 09:47 AM
  3. Do 29ers cure cancer?
    By PeT in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 05:18 PM
  4. Racing Ralph as a front tire?
    By WOY in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 09:33 AM
  5. Blur rear tire choice thread from old boards
    By CraigH in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 05:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •