mtbr member
    Aug 2009

The end is nigh, first Walmart and now Target

Spotted this at Target in Arvada Colorado. I know I should be used to the discount retailers hocking knock-offs of the latest trends, but this still caught me off guard. It's a basic-spec'd Schwinn with Altus but the frame actually looked pretty decent... a nice looking bike for the money at $299. They had another for $399 that was even better, but at that price it is no longer a cheap "hey look how funny I bought a crappy discount store" bike experiment... that gets dangerously close to bike shop territory at that price, though, but with no customer or technical support.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The end is nigh, first Walmart and now Target-2012-10-27-15.08.18.jpg  

AZ
    banned
    One size only or multiple choices?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    and it weighs 42 pounds.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

Robtre
    I will say this: My dad bought one at 73 because he rode mt 29er round the block and he said and I quote "for a tril bike that just makes sense". He likes it I rode it and for $299 why not? He likes it.
    -rides bikes for fun.

get down!
    Because you can get a Trek something or other in his proper size from an LBS for the same price or a little more. I hear you though. They are there for a reason. Tons of foreigners and people in need or transportation buy these things in droves.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Really I am that slow
    1st dick clarke, now this maybe the Mayans are right...
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member

There is China and then there is Walmart China

I work at an LBS, and everything is from China. Trek, Raleigh, Redline, etc. But Walmart has it's own level of garbage. You see it in their bikes (the welds are awful), and clothing. You pay more at the LBS for higher quality China. But it is safe and can be serviced.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    mmmm.
    ...it would be hard for someone with bike knowledge to work in wal mart's bike dept...that's for sure.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

two wheel whore
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    Tons of foreigners and people in need or transportation buy these things in droves.
    lol

mtbr member
    I have one of those hanging in the repair bay right now. Needed a $75 tune up right after coming from the store. So it was actually a $374 bike... with no customer or technical support... that weighs 42#'s

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    So what ? As much as it would suck, I'm sure I could ride that at any spot you can name. The bike may not last the day, but it can be done.

Target rules. Where else can I buy 70 lbs. of kitty litter and get a $5 gift card to use on my next purchase of KY and hot sauce ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    So what ? As much as it would suck, I'm sure I could ride that at any spot you can name. The bike may not last the day, but it can be done.

Target rules. Where else can I buy 70 lbs. of kitty litter and get a $5 gift card to use on my next purchase of KY and hot sauce ?

My shop used to ride one Giant Boulder for a Halloween 6 hour race relay style. It always broke in fairly disastrous ways. Yes, you can ride it, but why would you want to spend that money then have to spend it again the next day?

Nothing against Target. Didn't mean to offend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Does this signify that 29ers aren't just a fad anymore?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Tarjaay, the fancy WalMart. I actually know people that call it Tarjaaay and aren't kidding.
    Last edited by bigbadwulff; 11-02-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Both Walmart and Target now sell 29'er tires and tubes for just as cheap as their other sizes. So I think that makes it official...

big wheels are either no longer just a fad, or a fad that has found appeal with the unwashed masses.