mtbr member

Ellsworth Evolve Carbon C

Just picked this up today, I call it one of mid life crisis purchases .

Built this around the 100mm travel bike with help of my LBS (aka my crack dealer). My goal was to make a fairly light xc bike for those trails where climbing is more the norm. After i picked it up, hit a trail center right away. I have only demoed 29r's, so really did not get to spend a alot of time on them - but I knew i was going build one day. So here it is.

Let me preface this observation with that i am not a professional reviewer. Been riding for over 15 years, getting in the sport in my late 20's. I would be considered a clydesdale at 205 with gear, i ride a small frame at 5'7" and built like linebacker.

Quick trail impressions - rode it two days with a sh*t eating grin. This bike is truly one of fastest mtb i have ridden - both from climbing, acceleration, and top speed perspective. I don't feel the flex that i have read about in other reviews. In truth, stand and sprint on this bike and this bike just goes it is kind scary at times - lol. Point it downhill on non technical single track and this bike will go, at points I suddenly caught myself going hot into corners and able to just catch myself before it got ugly. Which brings me to handling, as i read in one article, you must be paying attention. This bike will have you flicking it around trees and corners.

Climbing on this bike is also a pleasure, the ICT works well hooking up the rear wheel over the rough stuff and you are always putting power to ground - at least thats how it feels to me.

Through the technical stuff, at 100mm this bike is not as smooth as my AM bike, but then again it is xc bike, but it will take what you throw at it. You will require a bit more body english if you choose the tougher lines, but it feels like you have more travel then you really have that you start picking hard and hard lines.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase, it really does feel like my go to bike, shhhhh don't tell the other bikes.

Specs:

Ellsworth Evolve C float ctd kashima
    Fork: fox talas 32 29'r with kashima coating
    Headset: Loaded tapered headset
    Stem: Thomson x4 70mm ti bolt kit
    Bars: easton xc90 risers
    Shiters: sram xo 10spd - 2x10
    Brakes: elixir 9HS with carbon levers
    Grips: ESI silicon grips
    Wheelset: Easton XC90 carbons
    Tire: Schwalbe Racing Ralphs 2.25
    Cranks: XO 2x10
    Front D: XO 2spd
    Rear D: sram xx 10 spd
    Cassette: sram 1070
    Chain: kmc x10sl gold ti
    Seat post: xc70 carbon post
    Seat: Selle Italia Flite

Excuse the quick cell phone pic - try to get better ones.

Ellsworth Evolve Carbon C-image.jpg
    "Nice bike...Take it off any sweet jumps?"

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    you did the right thing