mtbr member
    May 2013

El Mariachi Sizing Questions....

Hello All,

I'm finally moving up from a 26er to a 29er and I'm looking at the Salsa El Mariachi 2. Thing is, I'm kinda between sizes.

I'm 5'11" and I have pretty long legs (34-inch inseam). Seat post-wise, the 19" frame fits me well, but the top tube feels too long. I could compensate with a shorter stem, or drop down to the 17-inch. That would expose about 11-inches of seat post, which makes me a bit wary.

I like the shorter top tube and wheelbase of the 17, but I worry it may be too small. I've been to several shops and they all say, "Eh, you could go either way." One shop advised me to go smaller for comfort and a bit more agility.

I've ridden both and I feel like I should be, well, between the two sizes. Either the 17 with a longer stem or the 19 with shorter stem. Hrm.

BTW, I like riding twisty single track most.

Opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

D

ps - The Breezer Lightning Team 29 is also an option as they make the perfect size (18.5), but it lacks some features like the oversized head tube and thu-axle up front...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    They used to make 18 & 20 inch sizes, Same top tube length as the 17 & 19 are now. If you could find an 18" it would have the shorter top tube of the 17 with an extra inch of seat tube length. I have a 2010 bomb pop blue in 20" size. The complete bikes were black that year. You would probably have to get a used model as they sold out of those bikes, but you might be able to find one sitting in a shop somewhere.
    As far as 17 or 19 sizes, either can work but if you don't have to go shorter than 80mm on the stem on the 19" it would work great.
    Can't go wrong with El Mar.