mtbr member
    May 2013

El Mariachi 2 vs. Breezer Lightning

Hey All,

So I've narrowed my 29er purchase down to the Mariachi 2 and the Breezer Lightning...

I've ridden both, and I have to say I like the way the Breezer feels. It felt smaller and quicker than the Mariachi. It has shorter chain stays and wheelbase than the Mariachi. It also has Shimano spec, which I prefer.

But the Mariachi has the oversized head tube, the sliding dropouts, and a 15mm thru axle. All good things to have.

Finally, my current ride is an old 19.5-inch 26er with a 23-inch top tube. The Mariachi medium leaves too much seat post, so I'd be looking at a large, which has a 24.4-inch top tube. Feels long to me. I'd need to throw an 80mm stem on it. The Breezer comes in a 18.5, which has a 23.80-inch top tube. I haven't ridden the 18.5 to see, but it seems like it would be just right with a 90mm stem on it.

Finally, the Breezer is like $300 more than the Mariachi, although I may be able to get my local shop to come down a bit on price.

Thoughts?

-D

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Seems like a pretty clear choice to me - go with the Breezer because it fits you better. An oversized headtube is nice but not necessary. You can change over to a thru axle down the line. The only big difference is the dropouts - if you plan to run it SS, then the Breezer might not be the best choice. If you're a geared rider, then don't sweat the dropouts.
    Enjoy the ride!