mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Effects of stem length and rise

What are the effects of going from a 100mm 7 degree rise stem to a 100mm 10 degree rise? Just guessing that it would bring my position up and slightly reduce my reach as well.

To get the same distance from saddle to bar but bring the height up would you need to move to a longer stem?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride
    What are the effects of going from a 100mm 7 degree rise stem to a 100mm 10 degree rise? Just guessing that it would bring my position up and slightly reduce my reach as well.

To get the same distance from saddle to bar but bring the height up would you need to move to a longer stem?
    Correct on both accounts - a higher angle stem with the same length will bring the bar up and back slightly and to keep the same saddle to bar distance when going up, you will need to increase length. However, a 3 degree difference is going to make a very small difference in your cockpit - around 5 mm up (less than a 1/4") and about 1.5-2 mm back (less than a 1/10 inch); so, IMO, this is a hardly noticeable change (especially in saddle-bar distance)

Here's a kludgey chart - be sure to use your stem angle (100 degrees for the 10 degree rise stem) minus your head tube angle (probably around 70 or 71 degrees) as the angle to use in the chart.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    That's a great chart. Thanks

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride

Get the Excel file in this thread.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Seattle drivers suck

Thought I might hijack this thread for a while...

I'm new to 29ers, single speeds, and rigid forks. So far I love the 29er. However, I feel that the front is a little "wallowy" and I can't quite get enough weight over the front wheel in corners. I'm riding a 20" frame with a 24.5" TT. The bike came with a 105mm stem and a couple of steerer tube spacers.

I've just started experimenting with bar height trying to get a little more weight over the front and will also try moving down to a 90mm stem. I'm assuming this will help a bit in corners and descents (not as much concerned with climbing as I'm usually standing).

I've noticed a lot of ppl riding with inverted stems and I'm curious how other ppl in the forum are running their setup. I'm accustomed to bigger, squishy bikes, and I like riding down... fast.

Thanks!

EXORCIZE
    another stem tool: http://alex.phred.org/stemchart/Default.aspx

Goliath wrote: I can't quite get enough weight over the front wheel in corners

I've done a lot of experimenting with this in the last year. I switched my Exiwolfs to Rampages b/c they had better side knobs that would hook up better. I also dropped the PSI in the front tube for more grip/contact (and cush). And I dropped the handlebars (by removing spacers) until I felt like my ability to descend technical stuff was getting sacrificed, then bumped them up one notch. Lower bars also help my steering on steep climbs. If you're looking at new stems, many shops will have some used stems of difference lengths you can try out before you buy, and should be able to give you some feedback regarding your fit with each - one of the benefits of being in good standing with a local shop.
    ride natty ride