mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Effect on geometry of increasing travel on a fork (2017 Fuel EX 9.8)?

So, because I lack the tools and skill to do it, my local bike shop has said they can increase the travel from 130-140 on the fork that came with Fuel 9.8. The fork is a Fox Performance 34 Float. I wouldn't mind the extra travel, so I said to order the parts, but now I'm starting to second guess myself. Does anyone here know if this will mess up the geometry of the bike?

It seems to me like the bike would be slightly slacker, but I thought I'd ask people here, since you all are more experienced with these kinds of things. If it is slacker, I'm also assuming the effect on the ability of the bike to climb won't be significantly affected.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    https://bikegeo.muha.cc

I am not sure you're even going to notice 10mm of travel.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yeah - maybe I should call tomorrow and cancel....

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    You'll notice 10mm of travel if you setup the fork pressures and compression correctly. But you'll hardly noticeable the change in head angle or bottom bracket height.

mtbr member
    With 25% sag it'll have an extra 7.5mm of height/travel. I doubt you'll notice a difference in any way at all.

Professional Crastinator
    I have had a couple bikes where I fiddled with head angle. One of them followed factory guidelines, so small changes like +/-10mm either on travel or on the lower headset race made almost no perceptible difference.
    The other bike had the wrong fork on it. It steered like crap. I could make 10mm adjustments all day and it still felt like crap.

I will suggest lowering your handlebar by 10mm if you jack the fork up by 10mm. This keeps you in a better position for climbing, among other things. You might find you need to tilt your saddle a tad as well, but maybe not.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to leave the proverbial well enough alone and cancelled the order. I'm going to get more miles on the bike before doing it, if ever. Appreciate the input from you all!

mtbr member
    I say go for it! You're really not going to notice the difference in climbing at all, but will reap the benefits going downhill. The bike is going to feel more capable and confidence inspiring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Ah, I cancelled. :-) But the bike shop was very nice about it and said if I ever want to do it, they'll be happy to oblige. I'll get more accustomed to the bike. But Dr. Gigi, good to get your opinion, too!

SS in CO
    you should do it. I did it to my EX9, and it's amazing. the bike feels more stable on the downs and the BB raised just a touch so there's not as many pedal strikes.

personally, I like it a lot. check the Trek forum as well...almost everyone will say to do it.

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Seriously, it's less than 1/3rd of an inch with sag set! Do you really think that will do anything but shrink your wallet? Get a Pike Dual Air if you want to go ape and you have a 130 for climbing and a 160 for the descents.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeast View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to leave the proverbial well enough alone and cancelled the order. I'm going to get more miles on the bike before doing it, if ever. Appreciate the input from you all!
    Keep it as is. The enemy of good... better.

Every single time I bumped up the travel on a fork from spec I regretted it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yes, indeed. For now, keeping it as is. I have to cool it in the spending for a bit, and itís not like the bike isnít good as is. It was a thought, though. :-)
    Last edited by bjeast; 11-21-2017 at 12:24 AM.

MTB B'dos
    As others have said, 10mm really isn't anything, however, if the bike is really dialed and you are quite in tune to it, you might feel the change, enough that it will initially "interfere" with climbing. On my Phantom, I run the exact A2C fork as it was designed for, it handles perfectly with it, I can increase the travel as much as 30mm if I wanted, but even increasing the A2C 10mm I can feel a difference in the steering and handling of the bike, I like it stock, have tried 10 & 20mm taller and while nice on the descents, it takes more work on the steeper climbs and definitely changes the steering on the flats, FOR ME.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks LyNx. I appreciate your sharing your experience. I'm not sure I would notice the difference like you do, but, for now at least, I'm leaving it stock. :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    In general, 0.5 degree less head tube angle for every 10mm increase in travel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks Andy! So not quite the difference of switching the Fuel's Mino link, which I think changes it .75 degree...