mtbr member

Edge Rims, lightweight tubes

Got a pair of Edge AM rims on the way and will be running them tubed for the rest of the winter before I mess w/ghetto tubeless.

What's the lightest butyl tube with a long valve stem (44mm, I believe...)?

I assume a 26" tube might be the way to go, but I haven't used tubes for the past four or five years so have no idea, and I couldn't find any threads with light tubes and long stems, although I assume it's been discussed before.

Appreciate the help...

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have very bad experiences with 26 tubes on 29.
    I would go getto before that. (with the right tire)

mtbr member
    im using maxxis ultralight tubes....no punctures since ive been using them....maybe, 5 months? 6?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    +1. They are okay for a spare tube if you are running ghetto tubeless and will almost never use them. But, stretching them out for 29" use long term is not a good idea (been there done that.)
    Damn I like those rims and really like these http://www.edgecomposites.com/wheels/mtb/xc.aspx

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hmmm, I've been running light 26" tubes in 29er tires for 5 years without any trouble. I recommend it to others without hesitation.

What specifically was causing your problems with the 26" tubes?

Quote Originally Posted by mvi
    --
    Joe Partridge

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    26-inch tubes work perfectly well in 29-inch tires. Best NOT to go with ultra-light 26er tubes, but a cheap, normal 26-inch tube stretched to 29 inches essentially gives you the exact same thing as an expensive 29-inch tube.

Plus, Shiggy endorses this, and that guy seriously knows his tire stuff.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

'Calm Down'
    +1 - I've been using the 26" Maxxis ultralights for 4+ year in 29er tires with out any issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn
    im using maxxis ultralight tubes....no punctures since ive been using them....maybe, 5 months? 6?
    And again, +1 - I don't even own any 29er tubes with 3 29er bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Jitsu
    Hmmm, I've been running light 26" tubes in 29er tires for 5 years without any trouble. I recommend it to others without hesitation.

What specifically was causing your problems with the 26" tubes?
    Good luck 2xPneu, let us know what you decide.

Cheers,
    jw
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

mtbr member
    i was wondering whether there is something more to using light tubes though. maybe because they are thinner, i tend to use a slightly higher psi....maybe 27-30 for same ride feel/traction .... are the thinner tubes better qc? better material? dont know but i wouldnt use a normal 26" tube if i can use one thats 70g lighter and it works just as well, and is only a couple more....

Underskilled
    I have even used a 20" tyre in my 29" without noticing it being any worse than the 29" tube.

Seems a shame to spend that much money on a rim and not go tubeless.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Cost of the rim and using tubeless are two different things. Edge rims have a loose bead fit, at least mine do. I haven't attempted tubeless.

The OP asked for sources of tubes with sufficiently long valves since Edge rims require long presta valves. Bontrager offers MTB tubes, both 26 and 29, in 48mm presta at 0.6 and 0.9mm thicknesses. That's what I use. They also have a 0.45mm 26" tube with the long valve. Schwalbe, Continental, Michelin, and Ritchey valves are too short. Q Tubes looks like they offer 48mm presta.

I'd also like to know more sources for long valve tubes. Using an extender sucks.
    Last edited by craigsj; 01-09-2010 at 10:14 AM.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had valve stems rip off 26 tubes. Maybe cheaper ones, but also the michelin latex didn't last past 2 months. You know what happens when the front tube rips while descending?
    No problems with heavy budget 29 tubes.

mtbr member
    the maxxis have a longer valve,,, no problems with pumps or co2 inflater.

as for cost of rim vs tubeless. my philosophy is that with a 100g tube, and light rim strip, versus 50g sealant and maybe a 40 g or so rim strip and then the valve, im prolly about the same weight. its cleaner, quicker and as i havent punctured, with running my preferred pressure i dont seem to be giving up anything...
    ..who knows...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Which Maxxis tube and how long a stem? Mine have short stems. An Edge rim needs a long stem by MTB standards, not much shorter than 48mm before it doesn't work. I doubt 42mm would be enough even if it existed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn
    the maxxis have a longer valve,,, no problems with pumps or co2 inflater.

as for cost of rim vs tubeless. my philosophy is that with a 100g tube, and light rim strip, versus 50g sealant and maybe a 40 g or so rim strip and then the valve, im prolly about the same weight. its cleaner, quicker and as i havent punctured, with running my preferred pressure i dont seem to be giving up anything...
    ..who knows...
    Yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinking as right now I'm on the east coast and don't seem to have many issues with punctures. When I go back out west though, lots more thorns but I should have ghetto tubeless wired by then. Problem is...where do you get 100g 29er long stem tubes??

I talked to Pete at Stan's, he said they've had bad luck with the rim strip that some of the posters here say works great, so that's pretty confusing.

Jason at Edge says they've been using glazing tape (foam tape for window pane replacement/sealing) to build up the bed topped by electric tape on the AMs and it works well, he said the combo was slightly lighter than the Stan's strip.

So lotsa possibilities but I want to build these up and ride them, not fvck around with ghetto tubeless for awhile, which goes back to the original question of light tubes...

giddy up!
    I have a set of the Edge XC wheels.....I use the Bontrager XXXlite 26" tube. Very light tube with a 48mm valve. Working great for 6 or 7 months with no punctures/failures.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The Maxxis Flyweights (first two links) have ~28mm valves but the ultralights have a 48mm version. I edited Maxxis out of my "too short" list above.

Anyone who wants the Flyweight option can still get that thickness from Bontrager.

mtbr member
    Appreciate the input, just ordered a few of the 26" XXX Lite from the Path, will hopefully be rolling by next weekend if the spokes come in on time.

mtbr member
    ****. sorry.....this one as well...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=17683