mtbr member

Easton XC1 29er wheels for a 200 pounder?

Howdy Folks--

Please weigh in with your opinions. I want light wheels for my Big Mama. I weigh 200 with gear.

I've been looking at c29ssmax and easton XC1. The Easton's caught my eye beucase they are less expensive.

I am a line picker, not a basher. I don't EVER jump mre than one foot. My trails are a solid mix of technical/smooth climbing, rooty and rocky trails, and some twisty descents. I roll a Crossmark rear, and Ignitor/Ardent up front. The Eastons and Mavics are somewhat narrow, but I'm not sure that that matters too much.

Easton's a good choice give the details above?

Witty McWitterson
    They'll be fine. I had them on one of my SS's that I wasn't gentle too. Held up fine - and I outweigh you by 30 lbs or so.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If you are at all concerned about the rim width, you might consider the Havens. They are still reasoanbly light and are said to ride very nicely. I have a set for my 26er, but I haven't had them out yet.

mtbr member

Thanks for the replies so far...

Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    If you are at all concerned about the rim width, you might consider the Havens. They are still reasoanbly light and are said to ride very nicely. I have a set for my 26er, but I haven't had them out yet.
    The Havens look SWEET. BUT, are out of my budget.

I've ridden the XC2 29er wheels for awhile now. They are nice wheels, but get a little squirrely with 2.3 tires. I imagine that the XC1 is just a lighter version of the XC2. I just hope they are as stiff and durable.

Easton makes nice stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I am 210-220 wet.
    I preferred the XC1 SS over the Havens because I didn't like the color and it's lighter.
    I ride RockGardenes and steps and they are perfect
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Easton XC1 29er wheels for a 200 pounder?-10042010046-large-.jpg  

Easton XC1 29er wheels for a 200 pounder?-10042010041-large-.jpg  

Last edited by esku; 05-21-2010 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    They are bringing out a black Haven as well, but they're not going to be any lighter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    They'll work great for you. It's a fine wheel. Don't listen to some of the weight weenies on this forum. I've learned 2 things during my short time here-

1)DART 3 shocks will explode upon impact...

2)People who weigh over 150 lbs. can spontaneously crush a MTB frame in half...

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esku
    I am 210-220 wet.
    I preferred the XC1 over the Havens because I didn't like the color and it's lighter.
    I ride RockGardenes and steps and they are perfect

Sweet 'Fly man!!
    2011 Yeti 575 - Fox Float 36 RC2 160 - 31.5 lbs

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I run Easton XC Two wheels on my Kona Hei Hei 2-9. I have an Ardent 2.4 up front and a Rampage 2.35 in the rear. I weigh 230 lbs with gear.
    So far so good..., the wheels have kept true, and I'm not really sure about the tires being "squirrely" on the narrow rims (17mm inner diameter.) Wider would be better, but they seem to be fine. I have hit some stuff pretty hard with the rims that have knocked my cheapo rims out of true. I'm sure there are better wheels out there, but they seem pretty light and if you can get a deal they should be a good choice. I got my front and rear XC Two wheelset for $360, so it wasn't too bad.

Byek29
    Nov 2009

Love the XC one set

I am not quite 200 lbs (190) and 6' 0" tall, but just wanted to weigh in that the xc one wheelset is excellent for the money, imo. Been riding them now for 6 months and they are still true and very fast rolling. Love them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Easton XC1 29er wheels for a 200 pounder?-m5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have the Easton XC Two and just upgraded to the Shimano WH-MT75. The MT75's feel a bit stiffer.

mtbr member
    Bumping this.

Looking at getting a new wheelset for the Scale 29

Considering the XC 1's and the Shimano WH-MT75.

I don't plan to run tubeless.

I run 6 bolt rotors

I am 200 pounds, ride XC/Trail, no drops.

Both are on sale for $400 USD.

I am leaning towards the XC1's.

I know people will say to go custom, but for this price, I don't think I can do any better.

Would the Stan's ZTR hub with Arch rims be a better option?
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny

I think those wheels are a great option for the money. I have them on both of my bikes, and I am happy with them. I am 225 with gear. You will have trouble finding anything lighter for the price.

mtbr member
    Bumping this.

I don't plan to run tubeless.

Just wondering why you wouldn't want to run tubeless? By going tubeless, you will save a lot of rotational weight, improve traction, and virtually never get a flat.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar
    Just wondering why you wouldn't want to run tubeless? By going tubeless, you will save a lot of rotational weight, improve traction, and virtually never get a flat.
    I have thought plenty about it, just don't want to deal with the hassle of sealant.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have thought plenty about it, just don't want to deal with the hassle of sealant.

Not sure what you mean by "Hassle of Sealant." Super easy to set up and well worth the 15 minutes it takes to do. Shoot...my LBS does the job for $20 bucks per wheel and that includes the rim tape, valve, and Stan's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have been looking and riding a few at 6'3" 255lbs. Have Stan arches no problems (I also pick my lines and don't do any major drops). I would probably run Flows with the wider tires. They don't have to be run tubless until you are ready. I have been running tubeless (prefer it). I rode a Tallboy with havens (with tubes) was impressed but think the Flows would be comparable. The Easton XC is a nice wheel set, but if you change your mind the Stans rim lip locks onto the bead better than most.
    I receaved a good deal at about the same price (a bit more but not like the haven's) you are looking at from R2Tehnik for no tube wheelsets. Post back on you decision and how the new rims are working.

mtbr member
    I have a question about this wheelset, as I'm in the market as well. What kind of hubs does this wheelset run, are they serviceable, and what do they equate to? Are they comparable to Deore/XT/XTR/Hope2 hubs etc.? And I guess one more question; are they really that much better than the XC2? Looks like about 200 grams lighter, but aside from that what's the extra $200 buy?
    "Got everything you need?"