mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Durable ISIS bottom bracket

Seems my isis bottom bracket is creaking and groaning louder then my old knees.. What kind are you using??

Fat & Single
    The best ISIS BB available is the SKF BXC-600 , i was fed up replacing crap with more crap.

It will pay for itself in no time.

Heres where i got mine from about a year ago http://www.compasscycle.com/SKFbb.html
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Seems my isis bottom bracket is creaking and groaning louder then my old knees.. What kind are you using??
    Which brand is it and how old is it? Creaking and groaning in the BB area could be other things besides the BB. When is the last time you took the drivetrain apart, took out the BB, cleaned and lubed everything, and put it all back together again? Might be worth a try to see if that takes care of the creaking. You'll usually feel a grinding if the BB is shot.

There are more than 2 games in town, but I would look at these first: SKF (10 year warranty) and Crank Brothers (2 year warranty, used to be a 5 year warranty).

SKF

http://janheine.wordpress.com/2011/0...rld-exclusive/

Crank Brothers

http://www.crankbrothers.com/bottom_brackets.php

I've got two of the Crank Brothers BB's which I've been riding since the year they came out with them. I also use an older Race Face ISIS on my SS.

BB

MTB B'dos
    Good advice from Bruce and well worth takng the time to do on a fairly regular basis anyways, especially if you ride in a lot of wet. As to the best, yeah I bet you could get a decent ISIS BB for somewhere north of $65 US, but why bother, unless you have some super fancy crank I'd just buy one of the LX cranksets from Jenson for $89, get new rings, crank and BB at a fraction over what you'll pay for the new ISIS BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Combat Wombat
    I have both the Crank Brothers and SKF BBs on two different SS bikes. I have had no problems with either, but if I had to pick one, it would definately be the SKF. The Crank Brothers looks like any other ISIS BB, with extra external rubber seals. On mine, I have had to occasionally re-seat the seal on the crank side. If there is anything else special about the design to make them last, Crank Brothers would do well to consider SKF's website that explains in detail the overall design of their BB and why they think it should last 10 years. SKF is also a major supplier for automotive bearings and it is obvious that some of that technology is carried over into their ISIS BB.

mtbtandems.com also carries SKF.

I am pretty sure that while SKF has stated that they designed their BB to last 10 years, the paperwork that came with mine stated that that it had a 2 year replacement policy.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU View Post
    I am pretty sure that while SKF has stated that they designed their BB to last 10 years, the paperwork that came with mine stated that that it had a 2 year replacement policy.
    When Compass took over the distribution of the SKF BB's this past year, Compass extended the warranty to 10 years.

To reflect the superior quality of SKF bottom brackets, we have extended the warranty to 10 years or 100,000 km (65,000 miles), whichever comes first. This warranty includes the bearings. (We are unaware of any other maker of bottom brackets whose warranty includes the bearings.) We are confident that these are the best bottom brackets ever made, and we are proud to make them available to cyclists world-wide.

The Crank Brothers BB has nicknamed their sealed double row cartridge bearings "overkill". The Chromo weighs 225g and the Ti 180g and are both XC oriented BB's. The XC oriented SKF BB's weight 296g (113mm) and 302g (118mm). They have the DH/Freeride durable BB's as well at 339/354g (113mm/118mm).

I've been using 2 of the Crank Brothers ISIS BB's since April of 2007. One is the Ti model and the other is the Chromo. This is their 5th season and both are still going strong in spite of their 5 year warranties expiring this year. Compared to my ability to blow up a Shimano Octalink BB about every 16-18 months, I'm pleased with the longevity of the Crank Brothers (and their light weight).

Regardless, having both the SKF and the Crank Brothers ISIS BB's available is certainly a nice option for consumers. ISIS Ti Crank Brothers for the weight weenie, and SKF for the solidity and 10 year warranty.

BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 07-03-2011 at 08:24 AM.

MTB B'dos
    OT, but Seriously, I have a stalker How is anything I posted in this thread offensive to anyone to gain me neg rep?? This stupid system just feeds the juveniles on here, who them stalk you because you didn't like their thread or posted a contrary view to theirs on some subject
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member

Crank Brothers Here!

I have been riding ISIS now for the past few years...4-5 years.

In that time Race Face Isis lasted less than a year.

Crank Brothers Isis has been going strong for most of the 4-5 year period.

I also have an FSA Ti Ultimax Isis BB. Bearings spin smooth, but somehow after a couple of months, a creak starts. So I have to take it apart, relube it, torq it, and it is good to go creak free for a couple of months. Again, bearings are smooth, but for some reason creak begins. Only real annoying thing about the FSA.

Never tried SKF but have read great things about them.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Good advice from Bruce and well worth takng the time to do on a fairly regular basis anyways, especially if you ride in a lot of wet. As to the best, yeah I bet you could get a decent ISIS BB for somewhere north of $65 US, but why bother, unless you have some super fancy crank I'd just buy one of the LX cranksets from Jenson for $89, get new rings, crank and BB at a fraction over what you'll pay for the new ISIS BB.

Although I agree with this as ISIS was useless with me and all BB's tried except SKF, it will open up a what HT2 BB thread cause most HT2 BB's are actually worse than ISIS.

My Deore lasted sub 8rides before seizing solid, the SLX is supposed to be better but how much.

I've got a rebuildable / regreasable needle bearing HT2 BB, only a few rides on it, but 5 year warranty so all should be good, with 6 monthly regreasings!!

MTB B'dos
    Not sure what you're doing with your external BBs, but I've had an LX installed on my Paradox since last August and it's still working absolutely fine. Agreed though that generally they don't last long, but that's because they generally don't have in a good amount of good grease - Heck, I didn't even open it up to check it had in enough grease. Still, when/if it does die, the bearings are cheap and easy to replace - $15 from Enduro Fork Seals for SS bearings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd View Post
    Although I agree with this as ISIS was useless with me and all BB's tried except SKF, it will open up a what HT2 BB thread cause most HT2 BB's are actually worse than ISIS.

My Deore lasted sub 8rides before seizing solid, the SLX is supposed to be better but how much.

I've got a rebuildable / regreasable needle bearing HT2 BB, only a few rides on it, but 5 year warranty so all should be good, with 6 monthly regreasings!!
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I'd love an SKF....alas, I need 83mm

Keep on Rockin...
    SKFs are very good but I found them often out of stock and a bit weighty.

I've been ridding a CB for a few years and its held up perfectly.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    While SKF and CB are two solid choices, I've had very good luck with Sinz BBs. More of a BMX company, but their ISIS BB has treated me well.
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    my old FSA was dissapointing at first after a couple of wet rides it went gritty. After repacking it though, it has been fantastic. Just keeps going. Eventually i thought it had packed it in but I found my ISIS cranks had stuffed up and the BB was fine. That's another story.

mtbr member

Good Deal Aleart!

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up.

Huck n Roll has the Crank Brothers Ti Isis BB for $99 dollars. If you spend 1 more dollar you can save $20 off your order using the code found in Wheres the Best Deals forum. I bought something extra for $9.

I picked up one. Price for me after discount was $81 shipped! That is a great deal for a durable Ti isis bb. Like I posted earlier, I have been using one already for the past 4-5 years. Picked up a spare if I ever need one in the next few years.

Cheers
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    I've been running ISIS for about 8 years now, I haven't killed one yet and I don't know why. Sure the RF ones were junk, the centre sleeve was the wrong length so the bearings were side-loaded on installation. But the truvativ has soldiered on fine, it's been submerged a few times in river crossings but I generally ride in the dry.

The only problem with the SKF BB's is the case cracking on installation.

You can get replacement bearings for most ISIS BB's for a good price. Truvativ, token, crank-brothers and a couple of other brands all take the same bearings.
    I'll retire my ISIS crankset to one of my secondary bikes soon and head to external. Mainly for product testing reasons.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve