Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Some finished product shots

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-img_1199-1.jpgDual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-img_1200-1.jpgDual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-img_1201-1.jpgDual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-img_1202-1.jpgDual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-img_1203-1.jpgDual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-img_1204-1.jpgDual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-img_1205-1.jpgDual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-img_1206-1.jpgDual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-img_1207-1.jpgDual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-img_1208-1.jpgDual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-img_1209-1.jpgDual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-img_1210-1.jpgDual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-img_1211-1.jpgDual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-img_1212-1.jpgDual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-img_1213-1.jpgDual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-img_1214-1.jpg

mtbr member
    i have a superfly 100 and was thinking about doing the rockshox sid and monarch xx upgrade and switching to matchmaker for my xo setup and running my xt brakes... anyway how do you like your cockpit like that

mtbr member
    hidperf, nice build! Did you run into any problems assembling the bike together? What was the final weight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybeach View Post
    i have a superfly 100 and was thinking about doing the rockshox sid and monarch xx upgrade and switching to matchmaker for my xo setup and running my xt brakes... anyway how do you like your cockpit like that
    I was afraid it was going to be a mess but it actually turned out ok. I'm still fine tuning things, but so far I have no complaints with the layout. I like the fact that I have control over the shocks, the shifting is instant and smooth as silk, and the brakes are incredible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    hidperf, nice build! Did you run into any problems assembling the bike together? What was the final weight?
    I had two problems worth mentioning that really caused a headache.

1) the area where the rear derailleur hanger attached wasn't machined correctly which caused the hanger to be cocked off center. Simple fix with a dremel and sanding barrel adapter. Took all of two seconds, but still shouldn't have happened.
    2) the inserts on the rear swing arm where the brake caliper mounts had to be re-tapped. The bolts wouldn't thread in enough to tighten the caliper down. I don't know if it was some resin down inside that prevented it, but it's not easy to get a tap in that area and clean it up.

Other than those two things, it was pretty pain free. Especially for my first ever bike build. The cable routing took me quite a while to figure out because the internal routing channels don't go where you think they might. And every time I thought I had it figured out, I'd find a reason why I couldn't route that way. But once it all came together, it was like I finally understood the designers thought process.

It ended up heavier than I had hoped though, 27lbs! I'm gonna weigh it again soon because that doesn't seem right. I was documenting the weight of each item and it only came out to 25lbs. The only things I didn't document were the pedals, RWC bearings, and the Stan's rim tape and sealant.

mtbr member
    That frame looks like a Scott Spark. Those pedals are over a pound easy and the Stan's tape and ~8oz. of sealant easily make up the difference.

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    nice job hidperf, hope you love it!
    my carbon footprint has cleats

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by bvfromru View Post

Ah, yes. I want to put some decals on the frame too, but to my sadness I don't know how to make it look professional.
    That is a two-step process. One, get the decals. Two, apply them correctly.
    Which of these is a problem? Perhaps someone here can help.
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I really like your full supsension chiner. ^^

The frame looks just like the stumpjumper frame. Very nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    That frame looks like a Scott Spark. Those pedals are over a pound easy and the Stan's tape and ~8oz. of sealant easily make up the difference.
    Yeah, I was thinking the pedals were heavy. They weren't my first choice, but I needed something right away and they were the only ones I could find local. Go figure, I ordered everything except pedals.

I'm hoping I'll become comfortable enough on the bike to go clipless and I already have a set of pedals waiting. If not, I'll pick up some lighter pedals down the road.

Right now I just want to ride it!

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    going clipless is one of the best upgrades you can make. Try the xt or xtr trail pedals. They're pretty light and have an amazing feel. You will gain a lot by going clipless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xc biker View Post
    going clipless is one of the best upgrades you can make. Try the xt or xtr trail pedals. They're pretty light and have an amazing feel. You will gain a lot by going clipless.
    I believe it. I need to work on my bike control and balance first. I'm clipless on my road bike and probably couldn't go without it how, but the first time I tried it on my old MTB I crashed twice. It's just such a completely different way of riding and different dynamics on the MTB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking the pedals were heavy. They weren't my first choice, but I needed something right away and they were the only ones I could find local. Go figure, I ordered everything except pedals.

I'm hoping I'll become comfortable enough on the bike to go clipless and I already have a set of pedals waiting. If not, I'll pick up some lighter pedals down the road.

Right now I just want to ride it!
    Of course everyone has their own personal preference on clipless pedals. I've tried Shimano SPD and Crank Bros Eggbeater. I like the Eggbeaters for their simplicity, they don't clog or hold any dirt, 4-sided entry, and you can clip-in forwards or backwards. Really a superior design when you think about it.

Like you said with your road bike, now that I have ridden clipless for a few years on my mountain bike, I would not ride without them.

transmitter~receiver

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon 29er

Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    Really a superior design when you think about it.
    Maybe when you just think about it. When you ride them they fail and leave you walking far more often than other designs.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hm, I'm glad I have exactly zero reasons to go "clipless". Saves me a lot of clipping in and out I figure.

I'm not saying there isn't a situation here and there where it seems that it would be good if the pedal held the foot in it, but by a large margin not enough to be worth losing the feeling of freedom the flat pedals give me.

Also I haven't fell from the bike yet (5 months), but there were situations when not placing a foot on the ground would mean landing on it full-body sideways.

They say you can gain some power by pulling the pedals up using your hamstrings, but I've never ridden like that, so I don't miss it. My power is just fine.

Just my viewpoint anyway!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just ordered one of these frames in a 21 inch. I was wondering if the rear shock length is the same for all the frames.( 6.5 inches eye to eye ?)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Shh1966 View Post
    Just ordered one of these frames in a 21 inch. I was wondering if the rear shock length is the same for all the frames.( 6.5 inches eye to eye ?)
    I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure they all use the 6.5x1.5 rear shock. But if you ask them, they should be able to send you drawings that show the measurements.

mtbr member

They all use the same shock
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member

What size rear hub fits the fm036? I'm looking at getting a wheelset from light-bicycles that come with Novatec hubs
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Standard 135mm QR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Maybe when you just think about it. When you ride them they fail and leave you walking far more often than other designs.
    Never had a failure in all my years of riding with them. No need to debate the merits of clipless pedals in the FS Carbon 29er thread though. I'm sure we can both head over to one of the other forums for that.

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    so, checking back, to everyone that has this bike: how does it preform after you've had it for a little? How does it ride, how does it handle, tell us what you like and what you don't like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Re: Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon 29er

Had mine about 18mths, its still tge quickest xc bike ive ridden, get tge rear shock sorted and it climbs like a mountain goat and decends better than it should.
    I have mine set up on 120mm recons and fox float rl at the rear. Joplin deopper post, there isnt much it cant handle.
    I did a xc race on sunday just gone and it does all mountan trips away with me.

Best $700 ever spent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    so, checking back, to everyone that has this bike: how does it preform after you've had it for a little? How does it ride, how does it handle, tell us what you like and what you don't like.
    Well, mines only been completed for a little over a month now so I can't give you any long term feedback yet. But as far as the bike itself, I love it. My only disappointment is the final weight, but that's my fault in the way I outfitted it and I can always change that.
    I love the adjustability I have with the front and rear suspension. I love how it climbs, descends, and handles. I love how the brakes can take anything I've thrown at them so far. And it's comfortable.
    I built it for right at what my budget allowed and I got everything I wanted in a bike. Now I just need to get some more seat time. The big test will come in July when I ride it from Durango to Moab.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I guess that strongly depends on the particular build. The frame itself is perfect.

I'm past the 1500 km mark (23 km elevation gain), and I'm totally happy with mine. Pretty much a "dream bike" I guess.

There were a few problems but I have solved them all

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    so the general consensus is that this is a great frame with good value for money?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm wondering if some people have had their frame break and are just to embarrassed to let us know.
    I'm actually looking at buying one of these for XC, I'm a fairly light rider so I'm assuming that i wont have problems with the frame breaking :P

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Im big and heavy, I punish my bikes and its stayed in one piece.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The only reports of them breaking have come from a friend of a friend of a guy I met in the pub near the trails who heard it from his neighbours dog, all the reports from people that own them have been great
    Mine is currently sitting in the work stand waiting on parts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dudedud View Post
    I'm wondering if some people have had their frame break and are just to embarrassed to let us know.
    I'm actually looking at buying one of these for XC, I'm a fairly light rider so I'm assuming that i wont have problems with the frame breaking :P
    this type of carbon is probably less likely to break than aluminum or steel welding joints.

if you manage to impact it with the force needed to break it, then i think the broken frame is the last of your worries.

i know you probably mean material/manufacturing issues, but the only one i had was with the suspension link component, not the frame as such, and it was the kind of issue which would solve itself after certain amount of riding (abrasion). They sent me a replacement one anyway.

instead of the frame, the component that has it difficult on my bike may be the front fork, as my front brake(BFO1)+rotor(icetech 203mm)+the 29" wheel can put quite an unholy load on it when braking on a 20 degree descent. Glad i didn't go with Lefty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post
    I had two problems worth mentioning that really caused a headache.

1) the area where the rear derailleur hanger attached wasn't machined correctly which caused the hanger to be cocked off center. Simple fix with a dremel and sanding barrel adapter. Took all of two seconds, but still shouldn't have happened.
    2) the inserts on the rear swing arm where the brake caliper mounts had to be re-tapped. The bolts wouldn't thread in enough to tighten the caliper down. I don't know if it was some resin down inside that prevented it, but it's not easy to get a tap in that area and clean it up.

Other than those two things, it was pretty pain free. Especially for my first ever bike build. The cable routing took me quite a while to figure out because the internal routing channels don't go where you think they might. And every time I thought I had it figured out, I'd find a reason why I couldn't route that way. But once it all came together, it was like I finally understood the designers thought process.

It ended up heavier than I had hoped though, 27lbs! I'm gonna weigh it again soon because that doesn't seem right. I was documenting the weight of each item and it only came out to 25lbs. The only things I didn't document were the pedals, RWC bearings, and the Stan's rim tape and sealant.
    looks good. pedals, tires, maybe seat, and rotors look heavy. could also go 1x10 and drop more weight if your terrain/fitness allow for it. which china wheelset is that? whats the weight? you can also get ti skewers on ebay that are 50gr for $25, don't know what yours weigh.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by ypocat View Post
    this type of carbon is probably less likely to break than aluminum or steel welding joints.

if you manage to impact it with the force needed to break it, then i think the broken frame is the last of your worries.

i know you probably mean material/manufacturing issues, but the only one i had was with the suspension link component, not the frame as such, and it was the kind of issue which would solve itself after certain amount of riding (abrasion). They sent me a replacement one anyway.

instead of the frame, the component that has it difficult on my bike may be the front fork, as my front brake(BFO1)+rotor(icetech 203mm)+the 29" wheel can put quite an unholy load on it when braking on a 20 degree descent. Glad i didn't go with Lefty.
    A Lefty is nearly as stiff as a Fox 40...
    Death from Below.

mtbr member

Still can't decide on a 100mm or 120mm fork for the FM036. Any further thoughts from the punters?

Looking at either a 100mm Reba RLT or. 120mm SID RCT
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ypocat View Post
    Glad i didn't go with Lefty.
    Oops, lefties are stiffer than any single crown fork, both fore-aft and torsionally.

mtbr member
    Pagey,

You could cut the spacer in half and try 110mm. Back near the front of the thread, it was measured that the frame travel was 110mm I think. I sometimes wonder with that kinked seat tube how exaggerated it would look with a longer fork, vwsurfbum runs a 120mm and claims he is a fair lump of a rider, so maybe just ensure that your fork is convertable, buy a few spacers and start experimenting.

mtbr member
    Speaking of kinked seat tube, I saw this on ebay:
    29ER MTB Frames Full Suspentision Mountain Bike Frames Full Carbon Bicycle Parts | eBay

It has a straight seat tube. The seller claims to be a distributor, so it would be interesting to know who is making it as it is not the Hongfu FM036.

mtbr member
    Go for the 120 RCT... the damper is better, and you can always reduce travel...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    A Lefty is nearly as stiff as a Fox 40...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Oops, lefties are stiffer than any single crown fork, both fore-aft and torsionally.
    interesting you guys say that, because (I swear) I have seen a few XC race pics with bikes with Lefty, and the tire was touching the fork column under a pressure. I've seen 2 or 3 pics like this. Although maybe this could be a bent wheel and not the fork/hub, not sure.

You're probably gonna ask me to look those pics up, and I can do that but not just now, quite busy. I think I've seen the photos on Pinkbike, over a few months ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pagey View Post
    Still can't decide on a 100mm or 120mm fork for the FM036. Any further thoughts from the punters?

Looking at either a 100mm Reba RLT or. 120mm SID RCT

can't give advice on the rockshox as i ride fox talas 120/100mm - and i love the variability, but i only use the 120mm on rough/dirt-road descends, and even there I could do without it. I have the 21" frame and very short (90mm) stem, which only sits on a 5mm spacer, and with the 120mm when used on flat or ascent, the front of the bike feels too high (compared to the 100mm anyway).

mtbr member
    May 2005

used one

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    I like how the frame from ebay is "OEM from a major manufacturer but has no decals" convenient, eh?

mtbr member
    I like how the frame from ebay is "OEM from a major manufacturer but has no decals" convenient, eh?
    yeah they proably shouldn't have put that in the listing since theres no way to prove it. its the same frame thats in this thread though. I thought these chinese FS frames copy the scott frame's geometry? or does the scott differ slightly? if it sells for under $600 could be a good buy since it has a $250 shock.

mtbr member

Ended up choosing the 100mm Reba RLT. Lets see how it goes
    cheers
    Pagey

sometimes cheeky
    Jan 2006

My new dually

Hi colleagues,

I would like to say MANY THANKS to all of you.

I've read hours, days ... perhaps weeks in this thread & decide to buy one of this frames.
    Without you & this thread I never find the courage to buy, but all the positive comments gave me some kind of secure

I've checked the geometry & compare with my old bikes (also with my China LTK023 29er HT) & came to the conclusion: I have to give the frame a chance

Here is my build:

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-kompl2.jpg

It ended up at 9,52 Kg's. I hope you like it as much as I do This thing is incredible fast & I get more & more mercy with all the 26er rider, especially with the 26er HT rider
    I never expect this ... but I like it very much !

I wrote the build more detailled there: 29er Fully - mal schauen obs was taugt - Light-Bikes Forum (for those who are interested ;-)

Sorry for my english, it's not my excellence
    .......................... looking for a smart slogan ....

mtbr member
    Wow, that's pretty light checky! How did you manage to mount the nokon/alligator outes without cable stops, or did you do them full length?

sometimes cheeky
    Jan 2006
    Thanks

Yes, indeed, the cables were a challenge. First of all I didn't noticed, that I have to use outer for the full length
    I can't accept this & therefore I looked for a solution to use the Mini-I-Links with this frame.
    The solution was very simple ... once I've found it
    I use some threaded sleeves (M4 thread) made of aluminium where the Mini-I-Links fitted nearly perfect in.

In the pic two originals, 1 x how I have to "machine" it (right) & 1 x ready for use (middle):

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-gewindeh.jpg

& in the frame

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-hlsemontiert.jpg

and with the Mini-I-Links mounted:

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-zge-inhuelse.jpg

very simple & effective

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by checky View Post
    Hi colleagues,

I would like to say MANY THANKS to all of you.

I've read hours, days ... perhaps weeks in this thread & decide to buy one of this frames.
    Without you & this thread I never find the courage to buy, but all the positive comments gave me some kind of secure

I've checked the geometry & compare with my old bikes (also with my China LTK023 29er HT) & came to the conclusion: I have to give the frame a chance

Here is my build:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kompl2.jpg 
Views:	1535 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	796905

It ended up at 9,52 Kg's. I hope you like it as much as I do This thing is incredible fast & I get more & more mercy with all the 26er rider, especially with the 26er HT rider
    I never expect this ... but I like it very much !

I wrote the build more detailled there: 29er Fully - mal schauen obs was taugt - Light-Bikes Forum (for those who are interested ;-)

Sorry for my english, it's not my excellence
    I very much doubt it weighs 9.52kg's, 21pounds, that is as light as the most blinged cannondale scalpel 29er....for example

sometimes cheeky
    Jan 2006
    It is, if you believe or not

But to be honest: I use some parts which you cannot buy. The Fork is e.g. a 26er 130mm Minute MRD + 29er lowers. I adapt some internals & have a 1508g 29er fork with 104mm travel

If it is appreciated I can make a listing with every single part & it's weight.

mtbr member
    @checky: the weight-specifications are not needed for me (I left the weightweenie world, and became a passive bodyweightweenie ), but I do love your problemsolving mentality!

sometimes cheeky
    Jan 2006
    two-one,
    Thank you very much. I'm just a pragmatic weightweenie.
    "passive" bodyweightweenie is great I guess this will come over all of us ... sooner or later

c_klein87,
    Not just Pro bikes can be light ... or lets say: If I get the hand on a Scalpel 29er I will be able to build it below 9Kg's with a Pro budget

Here is my build:
    Component Typ weight:

Frame Flexy 29er Fully 19" tuned (replaced steel bolts to Al + Ti) 2024g
    Shok Monarch RT3 223g
    Fork 29er MRD tuned 1508g
    Headset Flyxii 73g
    Stem XLC Pro titan bolts 108g
    Bar China Carbon 660x31,6 122g
    Grips Hitemp42 Flygrips 12g
    Shifter XTR 980 with Alu bolts 198g
    Brakes R1 160/180 Titan bolts, tuned adaptor 578g
    front Derialleur X7 S3 with Alu bolts 123g
    rear Derailleur XTR tuned carbon rear plate, Alu bolts 174g
    Cassette XX 11-36 215g
    Bottom Bracket DuraAce 9000 60g
    Cranks Race Face 2x 39 Tune/26 RaceFace 518g
    Chain Record 10 speed 247g
    Wheels Mack Hubs, Rigida Edge Ryde MC1, DT Revo 2x 1254g
    Rim Tabe NoTubes + Valves 34g
    Skewers Heylight 54g
    Seat Tundra II 158g
    Seatpost New Ultimate Evo 410x31,6 128g
    Seatpost clamp KCNC 13g
    Pedals Exustar 28 Ti with Alu bolts 178g
    Tubes NoTubes Milk 220g
    Tires Conti X-King/Race-King 2,2 1070g
    Bottle Cage Bontrager X-Lite 38g
    Cables Mini-i-Link 62g

Additional
    Aheadcap, screw Charliemike Carbon 4g
    Chainring Screws at crank included
    Chainstayprotector Butyl tube 14g
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

total weight: 9450

The scale shows:
    Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-weight.jpg

+ 43g are on the shown KCNC seatpost, the rest is somewhere hidden at the whole build (grease etc...).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Miracle is a scam. They take your money on AliExpress and give you excuses in return, including fraudulant tracking numbers...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    How long have you been waiting? It may take a while but they always turn up in the end based on other peoples reports.
    I did always use paypal just incase but I got mine through flyxii.com rather than ali.

mtbr member
    I have purchased twice from Miracle via emails with no problems with my orders. Have also purchased from Lt Bike, Gotobike and Flyxii and have had no issues. Gotobike did send a fork in 3k finish instead of an ordered UD finish but that didn't bother me. Had a carbon saddle from Gotobike crack at the front where the rail attaches to the saddle, after emails and photos it was replaced with my next order with them. Was told it was the 1st time a they have had a saddle crack.
    Name:  20111019_0603.jpg
Views: 4052
Size:  133.4 KB
    youtube / strava. Back on a bike after 25years

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    sorry,i know this has nothing to do with the thread, but will a 2012 slx 9 speed rear derailleur work with 10 speed cassette and chain?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

No it wont. The sync will be all wrong.

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    okay, thanks vw

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Anybody replaced the bottom pivot bearings? Noticed a little play in them last night.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

That's the frame we are selling from LaMere Cycles, everyone loves it.

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-jp.full.susp.good-shot.jpgThis is the frame we (LaMere Cycles) imports but from the factory direct with BB30 bottom bracket, same frame though, we've been riding and racing this bike and love love love it, this XX1 build with Lefty pictured here weighs 21.8 lbs, could get it lighter with Ashima rotors and a couple other modifications, but how much lighter does it need to be!?!?
    JP LaMere
    Phone USA: (612) 326-4183
    Web: LaMereCycles.com or Facebook.com/LaMereCycles
    Email: lamerecycles@gmail.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jplamere1 View Post

Name:	jp.full.susp.good-shot.jpg 
Views:	3696 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	802985This is the frame we (LaMere Cycles) imports but from the factory direct with BB30 bottom bracket, same frame though, we've been riding and racing this bike and love love love it, this XX1 build with Lefty pictured here weighs 21.8 lbs, could get it lighter with Ashima rotors and a couple other modifications, but how much lighter does it need to be!?!?
    Looks nice, who is the frame mfr, which rear shock is installed. and what warranty on the bike?

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    LaMere- that looks great but I respectfully ask to keep these forums for information only and not advertisements. If you would like to give reviews or suggestions that would be great! One suggestion, try building it up with the cheap carbon rims. It would decrease weight and add stiffness to your build.
    -thanks, xcbiker

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

ID:	802985This is the frame we (LaMere Cycles) imports but from the factory direct with BB30 bottom bracket, same frame though, we've been riding and racing this bike and love love love it, this XX1 build with Lefty pictured here weighs 21.8 lbs, could get it lighter with Ashima rotors and a couple other modifications, but how much lighter does it need to be!?!?
    21.8lbs! Man, I wish mine was even close to that. Although I didn't go for the absolute lightest of everything, but for a build that suited my needs. Still, very impressive at 21.8lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

LaMere Cycles 29er

I believe we got this one from Yishun, but all the full susp 29ers from all the agents there seem to be the same model as this, which is really nice. Now we purchase direct from the factory as we get them with a small LaMere logo on them, and all BB30, but you can find this frame from all the usual agent guys including HongFu, DengFu, Carbonal, Yishun, etc... I'm guessing you are an Epic fan, I was too, but just sold my top of the line 2012 Epic 29er and got this and put $2000 in my pocket and dropped 2 lbs off the bike! Just did a sweet 3 hour memorial day poach here in the Bay Area thru Huddardt Park to Skyline trail...I am totally in love with this bike...so smooth and supple and at 21.8 lbs it feels like you are just flying thru the woods....and going uphill in 2 harder gears for same effort is so fun and fast...all I wanna do is ride this bike!

We offer a lifetime warranty on this frame, if it breaks due to a mfg defect we will send you a new one no questions asked, you pay shipping. If you crash and break it we will sell you one at cost plus shipping, and our cost is about $700 or so.

The rear shock is the top of the line Marzocchi Roco Air 165mm, we're a dealer for them, its really solid and plush, but unfortunately no handlebar lockout...but actually I find there is not much reason to lock it out, maybe just on the road over to the trail.
    JP LaMere
    Phone USA: (612) 326-4183
    Web: LaMereCycles.com or Facebook.com/LaMereCycles
    Email: lamerecycles@gmail.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    impact on LBS? brands? future innovation? i have no problem with Chinese production if it delivers a quality product at a lower cost/better value... Which is often the case. I draw the line at copies of others products/innovations. Most of the bikes i have seen are copies or take serious "inspiration" from the best berands. Therefore i will not buy!

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    impact on LBS? brands? future innovation? i have no problem with Chinese production if it delivers a quality product at a lower cost/better value... Which is often the case. I draw the line at copies of others products/innovations. Most of the bikes i have seen are copies or take serious "inspiration" from the best berands. Therefore i will not buy!
    OMG it's got two chain stays and seat stays as well. Wait just a second, it's got a top tube and a seat tube. Damn that looks just like a #insert big brand name#, they must have copied it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

^
    And who knows, the manufacturer may be the one driving innovation. They have material engineers and design engineers trying to get ahead of demand and sell the next best carbon bike to Spesh, Trek, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looks like a nice shapely frame..

sometimes cheeky
    Jan 2006
    .... One suggestion, try building it up with the cheap carbon rims. It would decrease weight and add stiffness to your build.
    -thanks, xcbiker
    Hey xcbiker,
    Can you please tell me about which carbon rims you are talking ?
    I know about the "wider carbon 29er rims" ... but these will add some weight cause they are around 395g + each.
    Which clincher carbon rims are lighter than light (selected) Crest's (mine are < 370g) ?

Are there carbon clincher rims out there which are lighter as my Ryde Edge MC1 which I use on my build (<316g each) ?

Many thanks

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    checky-
    if I'm not mistaken after reading the entire cheap Chinese carbon rims thread, I thought that most people requested their wide rims to be in the high 370s or low 380s. The wheelsets that people build with them are almost always lighter than a crest wheelset. They are generally 1400-low 1500. I think some may be in the 1300s (not sure though. Don't quote me on that.) the wide rims are also a lot stiffer than the crests, and have a wider inner diameter than the crests, giving the tire more stability and volume. They also have a snappier acceleration and better ride feel (reportedly).
    -if I am wrong about any of this please correct me. I don't like spreading wrong information. Xc biker

A waste of time it is is
    would you be referring to something like these from light-bike xc biker?

I am sure there are others as well, probably lighter than that, but that was a link I had bookmarked.

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    those are similar to the rims I was talking about. I was talking about the wide rims, the 'am' rims, not the thinner 'xc' rims. The wheelset weights I was talking about were for custom built wheelsets that the people on the forum built. I think the American classic hubs with cx-ray got some pretty light wheels.
    -sorry for hijacking the thread

sometimes cheeky
    Jan 2006
    Thank you both for the information.
    I hoped to find lighter rims. My light 29er wheelset weights 1254g, hard to beat with this carbon rims.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by checky View Post
    Thank you both for the information.
    I hoped to find lighter rims. My light 29er wheelset weights 1254g, hard to beat with this carbon rims.
    Wow what are they? I hope you dont mind but how much do you weigh?

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    vw- I think he said that they are Ryde edge mc1 rims which are about 316 grams each
    Last edited by xc biker; 05-31-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: mistaken name

sometimes cheeky
    Jan 2006
    Jepp, completed with extraordinary nice Mack Hubs (f:84g / r:221g) and two times crossed DT Revolution spokes.
    Couse of > 4 years on 26er ZTR Race & MMX without any issues I tried these ultralight 29er rims. Time will tell if that was a good decision ;-)
    Compared: the Crest hold up better tubeless & during building the wheels, the Crest felt stiffer. But during riding I cannot notice a difference between Crest & Ryde Edge MC1.

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    those are REALLY nice looking hubs. Hope you love them. I got to check out the rims now

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    wow. Those are some seriously nice wheels. Enjoy them checky. You might want to try the carbons for the ride quality and stiffness.

sometimes cheeky
    Jan 2006
    Yeah, thanks. And believe me: if you judge just on pictures you find in the www: when you hold Mack Hubs in your hands, the pictures are just pale representations. Imo they are over CK or PW & beside that: also from durability on top. From my experience over e.g. DT-Swiss. When you order: for some bucks you get your own lasering and so on. Absolutely great this guy (no, I've nothing to do with him, just a satisfied & excited customer).

You might want to try the carbons for the ride quality and stiffness.
    This is my intention.
    BR

mtbr member

Just received my FM036 frame from Dengfu.

Some first points

1. Frame is in very good order. Finish (matte black) was good and all pivot gaps were even.
    2. I can confirm that all pivot points now run bearings. I have regreased them all.
    3. Weight was 2130g

More to follow as I build it up
    cheers
    Pagey

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    thanks pagey. Good luck! Hope you love it

mtbr member
    So all the parts have arrived

FM036 duel 29er
    Light-bicycle carbon wheels
    Reba RLT 100mm fork
    Fox RP23 shock
    XT brakes
    XT 2x10 gear set
    Thompson Elite seatpost
    Fizik Gobi saddle
    3T stem and carbon flat bar
    XTR pedals

Build picks to follow
    cheers
    Pagey

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    Nice build pagey. I have the reba. Its amazing. As a side note, since you mentioned that you have the light-bicycle carbon wheels, please post your experience with them to the cheap Chinese carbon rims thread.
    -I hope you love your build. Post some pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Nice build. However with that front brake rotor, I'd be already dead. Like 20 times.

What's the biggest XX1 chainring you can slot in there? (Depends on the Q-Factor, the 156 allows for 34T max, on this frame.)

Also, I run Fox CTD and find the non-remote operation totally sufficient.

As a business, do you know the name of the designer of this frame?

mtbr member

Frame ready for parts assembly. What do you think.

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370861687.587556.jpg
    Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370861709.915377.jpg
    Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370861728.541918.jpg
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    It looks like it'll ride awesome!

However, I call poor taste on the Rock Lobster decals, since this isn't along the lines of anything that I've ever seen from the real Rock Lobster. It's not imitating some TIG'ed steel custom creation, rather it's an open-mold China-carbon full sus; it just makes no sense to me to use those decals in such a manner. That's the only bee in my bonnet about this bike.

mtbr member

Fair call. I was thinking more along the lines of The B52s. But I can see what you mean
    cheers
    Pagey

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    looks beautiful pagey, how did you get your decals made? Was it an additional option or did you go to a separate company?
    post some pictures of when its built up. It looks great

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pagey View Post
    Fair call. I was thinking more along the lines of The B52s. But I can see what you mean
    Ah, that's a much better reason, thanks much for the clarification.

And like xc biker asked, waht was your process for creating the decals? I can see how multiple-color printed vinyl might do the trick, but I'm definitely curious.

mtbr member

cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi All,
    I have been reading up preparing to build a FS carbon chinese 29er frame + light bicycle carbon wheels. Will this setup run XX1? If so which parts do I need? q factor of crankset? dt hub converter etc? Or if not, what would be a smart bang-for-buck 1x10 solution? XT/X9 RD , Carbon crankset with wolftooth ring? or XX1 crankset with other components?
    Thankyou,
    kris

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    Kris-
    this frame will run xx1, I don't know which parts you need. I think running a 1x10 is cheaper because you don't need the specialized xx1 parts. I don't think that xx1 parts will work with any other components because of the special tooth shape on the chainrings, cassette, jockey wheels, and chain. In other words, xx1 dosnt mix with anything else, even other sram stuff. You could run xt or xtr in the rear and a good single ring crankset up front. Sorry I don't know any good ones. I personally recommend shimano over sram, I find that shimano has faster and more reliable shifting. If you want to wait for a cheaper 1x11 option, I think sram is lowering xx1 to x9 and maybe x7. Those are just my 2 cents. Hope they're helpfully,
    -xc Biker

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey xc biker thanks for the advice.
    I've looked further and I agree a 1x10 setup is better for me.
    Can anyone please advice which parts I need for a 1x10 xt setup to work on this frame? bottom brack and 1 factor etc. I've found it very hard to find a single ring xt crankset!
    I'm going with xt brakes, light bicycle carbon wheels, reba rlt fork and monarch rt3 rear shock.
    thanks again,
    can't wait to build

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    Kris-
    I would use regular xt/xtr parts in the rear, like the cassette, rear derailleur, and rear shifter. I would run a raceface turbine crankset up front. To run it single, you should buy the triple ring, take of the 64 bcd spider, and run it with a ramp less chainring and a bash guard. You can get the ring from raceface or mrp. Alternatively, I think you can find a turbine crank set up already as a single online. As to the bb, it depends on the type of bb shell you order your frame with. I would run it with a pf30 or bb30. Idk if it works on threaded shell based on the axle size. Idk what q factor is, so I cant help you with that.
    Your part list sounds great. I have a reba rlt, and the xt brakes, and I really love them. Make sire you use a thru axle in the front, it will greatly improve your performance. Ive read the light bicycle wheel tjread and they sound great too. Id love a pair for myself whenever I can build a pair up.
    Sounds great, I hope my advice is helpful.
    -xc biker

mtbr member
    May 2013
    thankyou very much xc biker for the help.
    If possible can I run the xt or xtr crankset 1x10, only because I think I will buy the whole set as a package deal and buy the wolf tooth ramp less chain ring. Will this be as good or better than the raceface? I'd also like to try and run without a bashguard- is this ok? I think the dengfu fm036 / flyxii fr210 can accept bb30. Can't wait to make a xt 1x10 FS full carbon bike

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    Kris-
    If you buy a XT chainset, all you need to do to run it in a single ring set up is :
    - Remove the three standard rings
    - Purchase a single ring specific chain ring (E13, Gamut, Race face etc)
    - Install single ring on the middle crank tabs (as if it were the 2nd gear ring on a triple)
    - Install chain device and space to suit chain ring.
    -you may need to buy shorter bolts for the chainring.
    when you order the frame you need to specify whether you want a bsa or bb30 bottom bracket shell. If you only want to run shimano get the threaded shell. If you want to run a variety of cranks bb30 is better because they will work with almost crankset with an adapter.
    running w/o a bash should be fine, I would not advise it because it adds minimal weight, cost, and protects your leg and chainring. Idk why you wouldn't want one.
    as to whether a turbine crank or xtr crank is better I don't know. I havnt tried either of them so I don't have an opinion. You could try to try both out, look at the reviews and compare them, or pick the lighter one.
    -xc biker (just a disclaimer: I am 99% sure that what I post is correct you just might want to double check before you spend a lot of money.)

transmitter~receiver

Chainset is to cranks as flat is to...

trail shredder
    Dec 2011

Smile

Sorry. I messed up. I meant to say crankset. Thank you for pointing out my mistake. A crankset is very different from whatever a chainset is .
    Last edited by xc biker; 06-18-2013 at 05:22 AM.

transmitter~receiver

Sorry I meant crankset. It was pretty obvious in context though.
    It was obvious, and chainset is a word that's used... I was just making a joke, partly using the fact that the last word is "apartment," which has nothing to do with bikes.

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    Nice. I didnt catch the joke before. Now I get it. Still, I would like to say thanks for pointing out the mistake so I dont cause other people to make a mistake

transmitter~receiver

Nice. I didnt catch the joke before. Now I get it. Still, I would like to say thanks for pointing out the mistake so I dont cause other people to make a mistake
    Huh?
    That was the joke. Chainset is the British word for crankset/cranks. It was not a mistake.

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    Ok. Now I I just feel like an idiot. So it wasnt really a mistake. Now in hindsight my last post makes no sense at all. Yay

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast