Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I got it dialled after I got the fox shock, took a few rides to get the pressure right.
    Pivots are ace and they get used in all weather and conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    So, I got a response from someone named Stella from Trigon. That frame (SQC01) is $1305, + $396 UPS shipping. No clarification if it comes w/ a rear shock.
    At that price, I'd be looking at a Titus El Guapo or even a Kona Satori...yeah, it's not carbon but whatev. Email below:

We don’t have any distributor in US and we can sell the SQC01 frame to you directly.
    The price for the frame is US$1305.
    The delivery fee via UPS express is US$396

Please let us know if you have any question,

Best Regards,

Stella Chen
    Conviva Marketing Co., Ltd
    Team Leader, Sales Dept.
    11F.-9, No.20, Dalong Rd., West Dist.,
    Taichung City 403, Taiwan
    Tel:886-4-23209798#14
    Fax:886-4-23208848
    [ TRIGON ]
    Welcome to Intrepid Bicycles

Edit: I mean, as a carbon frame, it's still a deal (kinda). Looking at Stella sig, I think they might be sourcing it from the mainland somewhere... Let's find out where and if there's a better price, yeah?
    Trigon also seems to have a Carbon triangle/alloy rear model and an all alloy model...it seems like those will be more reasonably priced.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vwsurfbum View Post
    I got it dialled after I got the fox shock, took a few rides to get the pressure right.
    Pivots are ace and they get used in all weather and conditions.
    Good to hear.

Anyone else got one built up? Still a little concerned about the rear pivot. Ive tried reading through this thread but still cant find definitive detail of what the issue is?

Am i right in saying that the pivot consists solely of a whole thats been formed in the frame and a bolt that acts as the pivot through it? that would mean its straight up metal-on-carbon yeah?

Also, what bottom bracket does this thing take?
    Last edited by Timbo83; 06-03-2012 at 03:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nope its a sealed bearing pivot.

Std BB not that BB30 nonsense

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vwsurfbum View Post
    Nope its a sealed bearing pivot.

Std BB not that BB30 nonsense
    Haha, i didnt think there such thing as standard BB anymore? Does that mean external threaded type, bb92, bb38 etc?

Sorry for all questions, I'm planning a new build based around one of these frames, just want to make sure I know what I need prior to purchasing!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Awesome! I can run my xt cranks then

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yep std external type?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    AUTUORI 874 CARBON 29R FULL SUSPENSION | Edge Design. - not sure if this is same frame but looks very similar, $1800 hope that includes shock!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    looks like it. Shock included but that's a $1100 more for a bit of paint and a shock????
    Also it says BB30 and 1.5" headtube. Easily changed I guess, mine was tappered and std threaded BB

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i think headtube is tapered in real.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Better ways

I don't see the economics on this either. There are at least 2 better ways which will save you time, money & hassles.

1- Buy a mint used bike. There are 83 ads here alone. Many are mint & <$2500, like mine..

Niner Jet 9 large - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

or

2- Buy a used "name brand" frame for $1000approx. & start there.

Either way, a year from now you have a bike that can be sold for alot more than one of these & you will probably spend less & not have to "re-engineer" the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You may be right but there is a certain emotional appeal to building these frames up from scratch. I can't comment on these duallies but I have built up 3 Chinese carbon hardtails and the experience has been no less difficult than building up a brand name hardtail. In any case I suspect some will enjoy the re-engineering and the reviews so far have been very positive for built up frames.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kraiza View Post
    I don't see the economics on this either. There are at least 2 better ways which will save you time, money & hassles.

1- Buy a mint used bike. There are 83 ads here alone. Many are mint & <$2500, like mine..

or

Either way, a year from now you have a bike that can be sold for alot more than one of these & you will probably spend less & not have to "re-engineer" the bike.
    A lot of the appeal here is a carbon full suspension bike frame for around $1000. You are talking apples and oranges here by comparing you Jet 9 to the builds listed here. If we are talking $1000 full suspension frames sure there are plenty of options and you can get some near mint frames for that but 99% of them are going to be aluminum. Personally any 1K carbon frames I have seen are pretty whaled on .

As far as arguing resale generally for what you save resale is a mute point. If you purchase a Tallboy C or Niner Rdo for lets say $2500 new, ride it for a year and sell it a year later you'd prob be lucky if you got $1500 out of it. Either way you would be looking at a $1000 loss which I believe that these frames will have more than a value of zero after a year. So why a "name brand" frame may have better resale you are still losing more money.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by kraiza View Post

or

No offense but I would never buy a new Jet9 let alone a used one.
    And you must have had a lot better result from selling used bikes than I have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    if a frame depreciates 50% i'd rather lose $150-200 than $500-1000. i'm sure you can still sell a used chinese carbon frame in good condition locally for >$150. It's almost impulse buy territory.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_W View Post
    if a frame depreciates 50% i'd rather lose $150-200 than $500-1000. i'm sure you can still sell a used chinese carbon frame in good condition locally for >$150. It's almost impulse buy territory.
    I'm kind of lost on your post here...Are you saying you only buy $300-400 frames? I would guess if someone was to sell their fs chinese carbon they would be able to get at least $400-600 for.

Personally I buy bikes to ride and don't worry about resale. I think one of the advantage of these chinese frames are you can ride it for a season or two and throw it out and it still won't lose as much as riding name brand bikes and selling them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Fruit salad

Quote Originally Posted by finny1999 View Post
    A lot of the appeal here is a carbon full suspension bike frame for around $1000. You are talking apples and oranges here by comparing you Jet 9 to the builds listed here. If we are talking $1000 full suspension frames sure there are plenty of options and you can get some near mint frames for that but 99% of them are going to be aluminum. Personally any 1K carbon frames I have seen are pretty whaled on .

As far as arguing resale generally for what you save resale is a mute point. If you purchase a Tallboy C or Niner Rdo for lets say $2500 new, ride it for a year and sell it a year later you'd prob be lucky if you got $1500 out of it. Either way you would be looking at a $1000 loss which I believe that these frames will have more than a value of zero after a year. So why a "name brand" frame may have better resale you are still losing more money.

I believe the discussion is about $2500 FS bikes. Sure we can debate the differences between aluminum & CF but from a $ to $ perspective the comparison is valid. Can you tell the difference in performance between 2 comparably equipped bikes..1 carbon & the other aluminum?

I think bringing in $ 2500 Tallboys & RDOs isn't appropriate here. No one (in their right mind) would be choosing between a Chineese carbon & a new Tallboy to begin with. The more appropriate comparison would be...What would you rather start a build with..a new Chinesse or a 1 yr. old Tallboy if they both cost the same?

Not to get all geo-political..BUT...don't you have a problem knowing these frames are being sold out the back door of companies basically "stealing" American co's frame designs? People comment.."it looks like a cross between a ____ & a ____" Duh, I wonder why..perhaps the Chineese co. thats making it also makes it for_____ & is tweaking the mold to make their own "original" (?) design. Not cool, especially for the American co. that spent the time & money developing the "real" frame & isn't profitting from their efforts.

What about technical support.....what do you think "Jennie" knows about rake & trail or carbon lay-ups? Do you think you really have a 2-year warranty from a company you can't find on a map & has only a secretary that speaks english? Yeah right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeKing View Post
    I believe the discussion is about $2500 FS bikes. Sure we can debate the differences between aluminum & CF but from a $ to $ perspective the comparison is valid. Can you tell the difference in performance between 2 comparably equipped bikes..1 carbon & the other aluminum?
    I thought this thread was about chinese carbon full suspension frames. Sure there are plenty of $1000 frames and $2500 bikes available and there are more than enough threads about them.

I think bringing in $ 2500 Tallboys & RDOs isn't appropriate here. No one (in their right mind) would be choosing between a Chineese carbon & a new Tallboy to begin with. The more appropriate comparison would be...What would you rather start a build with..a new Chinesse or a 1 yr. old Tallboy if they both cost the same?
    I think this is appropriate. Again we are talking about carbon full suspension bikes here. When I was shopping for a frame I did make a decision between these chinese carbon frames and the tallboy. Luckily I caught a good price on a new tallboy and had the money to spend on it so that's what I purchased. Considering what the few used tallboy i saw sell for 1k looking pretty used and abused I think i would gamble on the new chinese frame...

Not to get all geo-political..BUT...don't you have a problem knowing these frames are being sold out the back door of companies basically "stealing" American co's frame designs? People comment.."it looks like a cross between a ____ & a ____" Duh, I wonder why..perhaps the Chineese co. thats making it also makes it for_____ & is tweaking the mold to make their own "original" (?) design. Not cool, especially for the American co. that spent the time & money developing the "real" frame & isn't profitting from their efforts.

What about technical support.....what do you think "Jennie" knows about rake & trail or carbon lay-ups? Do you think you really have a 2-year warranty from a company you can't find on a map & has only a secretary that speaks english? Yeah right.
    Not about to get into the whole geo political debate. Personally I can appreciate that some of us are on budgets and can't afford the newest and greatest and have to look at other options. To me it comes down to most of these frames are coming from the same place and same quality and your paying a fraction of the cost because it doesn't have a big name sticker on it. I think a good majority of us have gotten poor customer service from a big name manufacturer, retailer or lbs. I wouldn't expect much for customer service from chinese carbon goods but i'm also not paying for it.

TR
    Angry bunny

Nice post with a heap of nonsense about someting you have no real idea on.
    If this is what you really think is happening then you need to go away, read up and then come back and post when you actually have a clue.

Oh and awesome 1st post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Nice post with a heap of nonsense about someting you have no real idea on.
    If this is what you really think is happening then you need to go away, read up and then come back and post when you actually have a clue.

Oh and awesome 1st post.

OK, then give me a clue. Since you obviously are aware of the goings on in factories on the other side of the world. Where did you "read up" about these frames? The websites I saw didn't describe their R&D. Sure they build ALOT of frames, Hersheys makes ALOT of chocolate BFD, but the design is what costs.

Who designed the frames? What races have they won?

How is buying one of these frames benefiting any American..or doesn't it matter..you still have a job. Everyone else can go away, right?

Glad you liked my 1st post..love to impress the shut-ins.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    OK, then give me a clue. Since you obviously are aware of the goings on in factories on the other side of the world. Where did you "read up" about these frames? The websites I saw didn't describe their R&D. Sure they build ALOT of frames, Hersheys makes ALOT of chocolate BFD, but the design is what costs.

How is buying one of these frames benefiting any American..or doesn't it matter..you still have a job. Everyone else can go away, right?

From my point of view, as someone from Australia, a similar carbon frame (santa cruz, niner etc) would cost between $3300-3900 (yep, prices are a lot higher here). I can buy 4 of these frames and still come out on top. even if a frame only lasts me a year of XC riding, i could still get more value out of it than a santa cruz or niner.

im not bagging the big named guys, i totally appreciate the effort that goes into research and testing frames. but i have a tight budget ,and a wife that doesnt care about brand loyalty when there is a $3000 difference in price. thats our entire savings for holidays for a year, and i'll be pretty hard pressed to convince ger that this year we arent having a holiday because i want a niner frame intead of one of these.

i guess what im saying is in a utopian world we would all have the cash to spend on bikes like SC, Niner, Scott etc, but we just dont. and if i want to compete at local elite level against sponsored guys that do have these big name bikes, i have to cut corners where i can!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    JoeKing, my impression from your post is that you are implying people who buys these frames are not supporting the people who do the r&d, I assume if we bought a name brand you would be happy. I've bought three of the Chinese carbon hardtail frames and will probably get a dually. I don't know about supporting American jobs as I also live in Australia. But in addition to the $20,000+ I have spent at my lbs on name brand bikes over the years (Santa Cruz Blur xc, Pivot Mach 4, Voodoo Sobo, Trek Road bike, multiple rebuilds etc) I will keep going back to them to fix my re-engineering mistakes on these carbon frames. Is that good enough? P.s. I drive a crappy $700 car to pay for my passion, now I feel guilty for not supporting the local car industry.

TR
    Angry bunny

So basically you are saying that if it aint made in the Good Ol' USA it aint worth having.
    Luckily for me I am not an American and dont share this common insular American mindset.
    The Chinese are the largest suppliers of bicycles and Carbon Fiber products in the world.
    Where did you "READ UP" that Jenny DOESN'T understand carbon fiber lay up and head angles.
    Where on the internet did you "READ UP" that she DOES NOT do R&D and DOES NOT know about layup and design.
    Where did you "READ UP" that the cooperative of companies that produce these frames DID NOT research, develop, design and create these frames?

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Joe tried to hit on Jenny and was shut down, apparently.

mtbr member
    So basically you are saying that if it aint made in the Good Ol' USA it aint worth having.
    Luckily for me I am not an American and dont share this common insular American mindset.
    The Chinese are the largest suppliers of bicycles and Carbon Fiber products in the world.
    Where did you "READ UP" that Jenny DOESN'T understand carbon fiber lay up and head angles.
    Where on the internet did you "READ UP" that she DOES NOT do R&D and DOES NOT know about layup and design.
    Where did you "READ UP" that the cooperative of companies that produce these frames DID NOT research, develop, design and create these frames?
    Not all Americans share that mindset. Some of us understand economics and globalization. Please try not to stereotype the masses for the words of the few.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Agree it is not ALL Americans.
    But it does seem common.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Who designed these frames? I guess the same who designed the frames which are sold in thousands by in-house brands sportswarehouses.

What races they have won? According to the partner of a former WC silver winner in XC, took Victor Koretzky gold in the junior men’s cross country race of the 2011 UCI Mountain bike World Championships on noname chinese carbon hardtail.

Why does these Americans compaies supports chinese workers instead of supporting american workers. Their bosses still have a job. Everyone else can go away, right?

mtbr member
    how much does flyxii charge for shipping to the US? and how much does the FLX-FR-210 weigh?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
    how much does flyxii charge for shipping to the US? and how much does the FLX-FR-210 weigh?
    I believe there is a picture of a large on scales in this thread, I think it came in at 2056g. That's without the shock and hardware. And I think shipping is free, I've sent an email to flyxii about shipping.

What finish does everyone think is best for showing up frame damage in the future? Clear or matte, and which weave 3k, 12k or UD?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Flyxii postage is free, both times on the HT and the full suss. I did have to pay a minimal charge to customs on the HT though.

Beyonce pics

mtbr member
    May 2011

Wink

Agree it is not ALL Americans.
    But it does seem common.
    After living abroad for three years and traveling to more than 40 countries, I have seen a coo on theme - ignorance in the literal sense. Most other cultures are so homogeneous that they do not have the opportunity to see, learn, understand, and then value the perspective of others. This isn't isolated to Americans like myself as I believe that mindset is more prevalent in other cultures. By the way, both Aus and NZ have been impacted more than the US from Chines economics around currency influences on the import and export markets.

With that said, these frames are intriguing and a great value. The economics behind them do not necessarily make them a great long term value as the price advantage is not sustainable for the long term (separate discussion).

As for the bike and a review, it appears that you should just read the reviews of the Scott Spark or the Scott bike posted earlier in the thread.

They appear to be the exact same bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Elacrosse7 View Post

With that said, these frames are intriguing and a great value. The economics behind them do not necessarily make them a great long term value as the price advantage is not sustainable for the long term (separate discussion).
    Interesting, I would think cutting out the brand and dealer would provide significant cost savings and allow price to remain low. Do you think others will enter this space and force brand and service to provide advantage?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I tried sending these questions to flyxii, but i think the language barrier might be a bit of an issue as the reply was hard to understand. hoping someone can answer on here -

-does the FLX-FR-210 frame come with a derailleur hanger?
    -which model derailleur hanger does the FLX-FR-210 use, as i would like to get 2 spare ones?
    -which headset does the frame come with, and does the frame ship with the headset installed?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Headset and hanger comes with the frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Its a neco headset and it just fits together, cups are already installed

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So, I had an email from Flyxii confirming that they can do a matte 3k finish, and that the bottom bracket is a bb30 type!

Anyone else got a bb30 from flyxii? I see that hongfu do this as an option, but the frame on the flyxii site looks like a threaded type

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Mine from flyxii was threaded, but my HT came through as BB30 but was stated as threaded, so just bought a FSA adapter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hmmm. Maybe I should just order it and wait to order the cranks when it gets here!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yep

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    how tall are you guys and what size frames are you getting?

i'm 6" and trying to determine what size i need

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    5'10" I went for the 17.5"

banned
    Sep 2007
    Anyone preferred for looking at an XL with a 21 inch frame?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Anyone preferred for looking at an XL with a 21 inch frame?
    I'm 180cm and went 19" frame. Its closer to my current ride geometry, - giant anthem -just a little longer top tube

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hi i have 19" matt on order i have a fox rp23 for it can anyone tell me what size mount kit & the size of the bolts i need to fit it please.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    22mm bushes and 8m bolts, just can't remember the lengths I think 35mm?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

The answer is in my previous post

Quote Originally Posted by the-milkybar-kid View Post
    Hi i have 19" matt on order i have a fox rp23 for it can anyone tell me what size mount kit & the size of the bolts i need to fit it please.
    Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon 29er

I ended up making a brass part to act as a nut on one of the mounts.

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by the-milkybar-kid View Post
    From info in this forum from previous posts, ive ordered;

-1 of these FTC Titan M8 x 36 Dämpfer - Achse | bikehardest
    -1 of these FTC Titan M8 x 31 Dämpfer - Achse | 299-Kappen - Hülsen | 16-silber | 1-Titan & Al | bikehardest
    - and 4 of these Titan Schraube M6 x 10 Linsenkopf Iso 7380 Grade 5 | 366-M6 | 43-ISO 7380 Linse | 17-Ti-Schrauben | 16-silber | 1-Titan & Al | bikehardest

and the 22mm wide x 8mm diam bushing spacers for your shock

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

the real cost of ownership...

There was a time when I was very tempted with Chinese frames but then I've done the math and I've realised that they turn out to be quite an expensive option. Some other problems aside, considering the resalable(?) "value", the moment you buy it, you effectively throw away most of your money.

I'm NOT in any way criticising anyone's decisions as I used to find the Chinese carbon offering very tempting myself.
    I'm just wondering how many people really have an idea of how much it's going to cost them in a longer run.
    www.bartthebikeman.wordpress.com
    fast 26" road bike, shaven Racing Ralphs as road tyres, homemade "Paul thumbies"...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Barteos View Post
    There was a time when I was very tempted with Chinese frames but then I've done the math and I've realised that they turn out to be quite an expensive option. Some other problems aside, considering the resalable(?) "value", the moment you buy it, you effectively throw away most of your money.

I'm NOT in any way criticising anyone's decisions as I used to find the Chinese carbon offering very tempting myself.
    I'm just wondering how many people really have an idea of how much it's going to cost them in a longer run.
    Can you give an example of why this is not cost effective? My math isn't that good but a $700 frame + max $400 for shock and hardware is still far less than current prices for name brand 29er carbon duallies. Resale on any bike will represent a huge loss on your initial purchase so you may actuall lose less if you have to sell a Chinese frame, even if you part out and sell the components individually?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barteos View Post

people have already done the math on chinese frames, thats why they are buying them over a name brand, lol. I've seen the 26" chinese used frame sell for $300, $400 is what it cost new, so $100 loss is not bad at all. my 21# chinese carbon 29 HT cost me $1900 total, a name brand would cost $3000+. I don't see how thats "an expensive option".

Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast