Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That's quite clearly NOT what happened here.

The Hong Fu 29er takes many design and styling cues from the Scott Spark, but is not an exact replica, and certainly not made with any trade secrets or molds stolen from Scott. Furthermore, the Scott Spark is likely made in Taiwan, not China. Chinese carbon fiber isn't trusted by many (any?) brand names just yet. Taiwanese Carbon fiber (like anything bicycling and Taiwanese) is 100% accepted in the mainstream.

father, mountain biker
    Recito, thanks for the clarification. Was curious because I have friends who have had products in other markets ripped by Chinese companies before they were even able to get them to market, including forged holographic seals.
    "He seems quite arrogant and ignores quite some valid points." -Millfox
    "I don't like you" -ne_dan

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    ok, so update on the bike.

Ive got the suspension pretty dialled in now, and its become pretty plush actually, but still super quick and efficient on the climbs.

im 73kg, front is set at 128psi and rear at 195psi which gives about 28% sag both ends. Ive found that running the monarch on the lowest compression level gives the best levels of grip and plushness, with only a hint of bob, even when stomping on the pedals. The second level of compression makes climbing only slightly better, but the plushness is certainly effected. I guess it will depend on your preferences and weight.

im really loving this bike now. its a beast of an xc machine. the only time i notice the extra length and bigger tyres in a negative way is in really tight corners. other than that, is rails the corners, and totally smashes the climbs. it feels like im putting less effort in at pretty much all situations. carbon wheels probably help out too!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I was about to purchase the one from Jenny, and at the end she included a $65 Paypal processing fee. Was that the deal with those of you that already bought a frame, or something new? I didn't see it mentioned before. If so, does the other company (I think it was Flyxii) do the same thing?

Also, did I read on an earlier thread that the Flyxii company's frame works with a threaded bottom bracket?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    II bought through flyxii at no aditional fees and mine has a normal threaded BB

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Good. I think I'll be purchasing from Flyxii, then. So here is the breakdown, apparently:

Hong Fu: $700 frame, $15 headset, $88 shipping, and $65 Paypal processing fee = $868
    Flyxii: $700 for frame, headset, and shipping, with no processing fee

I know that the above is correct with regard to Hong Fu, so unless I missed something with Flyxii, sounds like a no-brainer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That's what I paid. $700 all in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brianlancast View Post
    Good. I think I'll be purchasing from Flyxii, then. So here is the breakdown, apparently:

Hong Fu: $700 frame, $15 headset, $88 shipping, and $65 Paypal processing fee = $868
    Flyxii: $700 for frame, headset, and shipping, with no processing fee

I know that the above is correct with regard to Hong Fu, so unless I missed something with Flyxii, sounds like a no-brainer.
    Disappointing as it is I'm starting to feel that Jenny at Hong-Fu is taking the piss a little on price and service. What are Flyxii delivery times like from payment date?

Edit: fixed grammar
    Last edited by raceface_lefty; 10-04-2012 at 10:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Good evening friends, bought a frame this 17.5, however I am a little lost with respect to the rear shox, could someone tell me the exact model, I will use the reba sl 100mm fork.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by raceface_lefty View Post
    Disappointing as it is I'm starting to feel that Jenny at Hong-Fu is taking the piss a little on price and service. What are Flyxii delivery times like from payment date?

Mine was a little slow as I ordered the matte finish. Full 6 weeks to manufacture, 2 weeks for delivery to Australia.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by supericepower View Post
    Good evening friends, bought a frame this 17.5, however I am a little lost with respect to the rear shox, could someone tell me the exact model, I will use the reba sl 100mm fork.
    Thanks
    You need a 165x38mm shock. There is internal cabling for a remote lever, The new Fox CTD with remote fits if you remove the rebound button.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Smile

You need a 165x38mm shock. There is internal cabling for a remote lever, The new Fox CTD with remote fits if you remove the rebound button.
    Thanks for reply dear friend

One more doubt, and front derailleur ? What type is this ?

THANKS !

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by supericepower View Post
    Thanks for reply dear friend

One more doubt, and front derailleur ? What type is this ?

THANKS !

Page 11 post 269

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So I will be joining you guys soon.

Ordered mine in the 19" size from baixiangbike.com for $829 + $55 DHL Express shipping to Greece. Should be getting it any day now.

As I'm seeing in this thread, I paid a bit more than you, but I have absolutely no regrets as the service is awesome so far, and their english is pretty good.

I also ordered a wheelset, handlebar, seat, and a bottle holder from them, all carbon.

I'm getting back to biking after about a 10 year break (not sure how that happened), and I'm going to have some fun while doing so. So, great to read you like the frame!

So the last month and a half I'm catching up with all the new MTB tech and configuring my setup. The wheelset they built for me had Novatec hubs, I guess that's fine, but then I realized I want it with DT Swiss 240's hubs (to be able to run the XD XX1 cassette, plus having more fork options as the swiss is configurable), so I ordered these at CRC and had them shipped to China by DHL (no UK VAT on that, so cheaper than if I bought them directly, but still have to see if there's any import duty on that in China).

The frame type is stated as "FRX-F09", and they told me that they manufacture it. I asked why can I see it all over Alibaba.com sold by different companies (who all claim to be manufacturing it), and they said it's an all new and popular design, so more companies are making it. Make of that what you will, but I ain't gonna pay $11k for a big brand carbon bike when I can make a better one for $4k.

So I'm going to fit mine with MT8, Fox CTD, and XX1 (out this month). Also the carbon seatpost from crank bro's.

Still can't decide on Gripshift vs. Trigger though. I've always ridden Gripshift so I know exactly its pros and cons. Bottom line, it does compromise your handlebar grip, at least when you move your hand from the full-grip position to the shifting position. Truth is that I've never tried the new grips. But truth is that the trigger technology is probably also better than 10 years ago. Also, I want to be able to brake while downshifting, which is not really possible with Gripshift if you downshift over many gears, at least as far as I remember. The ride style I had was to downshift first and then start braking, if the situation allowed that. But I guess a good strategy here would be to try a trigger, and switch to gripshift later if the trigger is not good. However I'm not sure what the separate parts availability will be for a totally new groupset like the XX1, but I guess they have to offer it in parts as time goes on.

Also I'm unsure about the CTD combined remote lockout, as it's huge, but not having the second shifter, I could fit it on the bottom of the bar instead. This is a tougher choice, as (AFAIK) you can't convert a non-remote CTD fork/shock to remote-ones easily. But again, I'm not sure why not, I just read it somewhere.

So yeah, great info in this thread so far and I will post my build pics etc. when I get to it.

I'm attaching a 19" geometry and the settings for Linkage - a suspension calculator program I bought yesterday to figure out the leverage ratio curve for this suspension type - I haven't used it yet though.

Oh yeah, another thing I haven't decided yet is the travel of the front fork. I've read this thread and I see you guys run it with 80 to 120. The terrain around here is pretty rocky I assume, brutal climbs, but I also like fast road riding, and I don't plan to trash this bike with DH or jumping, so I really don't know. That 80mm setup I've seen here got me thinking I think 100mm would be a good choice. Or maybe 120.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-frx-f09-geometry.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-linkage-settings.png  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Is it OK to keep the rebound button on a version without remote?

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by chokemo View Post
    medsafestock com/v2/search html?key=Lopressor&a=47524]Order Lopressor HERE - ENTER PHARMACY - We Offer Lopressor online without a prescription

medsafestock com/v2/search html?key=Lopressor&a=47524]

best price generic Lopressor purchase in usa North Dakota
    buy cheap generic Lopressor cannada without prescription Montreal
    discount Lopressor jamaica Prince Edward Island
    is there a generic for Lopressor without rx Latvia
    best price Lopressor online canada compare price Sydney
    buy cheap Lopressor no prescription needed u s a pharmacy Hayward
    how to buy Lopressor online in canada Belgium
    buy Lopressor cheap weight loss Arizona
    online generic Lopressor online to buy no prescription needed Oceanside
    generic Lopressor generic available Stamford
    comprar Lopressor online purchase Red Deer
    side effects of Lopressor Singapore Naperville
    best price for generic Lopressor kaufen deutschland Kelowna
    best price on Lopressor jamaica Charleston
    order generic Lopressor medication what is it for North Carolina
    cheapest price for Lopressor generic version Raleigh
    cheap Lopressor generic cost Athensa
    buy online Lopressor buy without prescription in us fda approved Brandenburg
    no prescription Lopressor medication alcohol El Monte
    online order Lopressor online no prescription overnight Berlin
    does generic Lopressor best non prescription Pompano Beach
    free Lopressor online no prescription overnight Grand Prairie
    order Lopressor kaufen ohne rezept Phoenix
    necesito comprar Lopressor without insurance Shreveport
    cheap generic india Lopressor no prescription needed u s a pharmacy fedex delivery Tucson
    buy Lopressor no prescription required Sunnyvale
    discount Lopressor online without prescriptions Sachsen
    buying cheap Lopressor online no rx Baton Rouge
    order Lopressor prescription online Downey
    canadian generic Lopressor online from canada Hawaii

canadian pharmacies to get Lopressor medication use Delaware
    cheap Lopressor online from canada Westminster
    Dude...this is awesome! I have so been looking for a source of low-cost metoprolol to go with my new chinese carbon 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ypocat View Post
    I'm attaching a 19" geometry and the settings for Linkage - a suspension calculator program I bought yesterday to figure out the leverage ratio curve for this suspension type - I haven't used it yet though.
    Be aware that this geometry data is for the 21" version! (533mm seat tube == 21")

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by two-one View Post
    Be aware that this geometry data is for the 21" version! (533mm seat tube == 21")
    Whoa. Thanks for spotting that. I requested the diagram for 19". I will post it when I get it.

Anyone here's already got the 19" drawing by any chance?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Whoa. Thanks for spotting that. I requested the diagram for 19". I will post it when I get it.

Check the flyxii page

http://flyxii.com/products_1.asp?menuid=336&id=601

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i'd like to use my 2005 prophetas a part donor. it has a deore lx e type derailer. would get the bb30 frame. so the truvativ stylo will fit right? not sure if the project 321 lefty adapter fits. is it possible to leftify this frame?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Mine took a little over 1 week to deliver from FLYXXI, and their customer service was great, they answered all of my questions via email and Skype.
    Also want to note, if any one is interested. I pulled apart all the bearings, just to see the quality etc. The bearings are all Japanese made sealed bearings.
    Also the frame came with 2 extra rear derailluer hangars as spare. All for $700 delivered

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    i'd like to use my 2005 prophetas a part donor. it has a deore lx e type derailer. would get the bb30 frame. so the truvativ stylo will fit right? not sure if the project 321 lefty adapter fits. is it possible to leftify this frame?
    Is the prophet bb30 equipped ? The whole crank setup is different between threaded and bb30, nothing is interchangeable

Check with your local project 321 dealer for the parts for conversion. It's a standard 1 1/5 to 1 1/12 head tube, just check the geometry in the flyxii link above to see if it suits.

Also, can't remember what the prophet was for travel. You wouldn't want to go over 120mm for these I reckon

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Here's the detailed 19" geometry pic. (Though thanks for the smaller one, Timbo83. )

My frame is 3rd day in Athens (in "Clearance delay" state), which is one stop before the DHL destination service area.

Wondering how they do it if an import tax needs to be paid — do they contact you by phone — or how do they request it from you?

The value on the package is $100, so I'm wondering if that even qualifies for an import duty. Anyway, it was a weekend, so maybe that's why the delay.

EDIT: wah, just as I was writing to DHL via their "contact express" form (because when I closely looked at the tacking status, it said "wait to be contacted or contact us"), the frame moved further in the chain. Will see how it develops next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-frx-f09-geometry-19%2522.jpg  

Last edited by ypocat; 10-08-2012 at 03:26 AM. Reason: update

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Beij View Post
    $1,749 - ...Atami XC/29er Carbon Full Suspension – MSRP – $1,749 - Sudu Bikes Worldwide
    Would love to know who actually makes these frames, even if their name consisted from chinese signs only.

mtbr member
    Would love to know who actually makes these frames, even if their name consisted from chinese signs only.
    One only answer : MIRACLE

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tskubi View Post
    then that would be: 奇蹟

mtbr member
    Dam 21 pages. I tried reading all the posts but around page 13 I got lost. So if I order one from FLYXI will it come with shock hardware? I need a 6.50 I to I shock? What about the lifespan of the bushings in the pivots at the dropouts? I have a really nice build kit on my hardtail that I would use. And I am thinking about maybe going with a lefty if I can figure out a way to afford it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i emailed project 321. they sent me an email stating. due to the technical nature of the question my request has been turned over to the tech department. and i should hear something ina few days.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

I think we've all seen the geo, no need to post it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hello, all.
    Is it possible to attach Cannodale's Lefty to any of these frames?
    Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i anticipated using spacers to increase the stack height. any idea if thats 321?
    Last edited by kidd; 10-11-2012 at 03:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wireless0 View Post
    Hello, all.
    Is it possible to attach Cannodale's Lefty to any of these frames?
    Thanks in advance!
    I found this photo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-lefty.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Bike complete. Went for a test ride, and rides awesome! Really happy with the complete bike and setup.
    Weighing at around 10kgs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-photo-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mikulas View Post
    Bike complete. Went for a test ride, and rides awesome! Really happy with the complete bike and setup.
    Weighing at around 10kgs
    looks great, congrats! my frame will arrive tomorrow, the dhl express clearance took a whole f*cking week.

is that CTD front and rear? you don't miss the remotes? is it easy to dial in-flight? (probably too early to ask about that though)

what factory capacity / stiffness of the rear shock have you opted for? mid or hard?

i still haven't gotten around to compute the leverage ratio for this frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Weighing at around 10kgs
    also, great design work balancing the white fork with the white grips — did not occur to me as a good combo!

(i'll be most prob getting a black fork, but still, good idea)

FAT CHANCE!
    Chainstay length seems a bit on the longer side (452mm = ~17.8in) compared to a lot of 17.5" chainstay length on a lot of FS, race oriented 29ers out there.

How it is the pick up and go on these bikes and can anyone compare that to some of the other 29er bikes they may have tired out as well with maybe a shorter chainstays?

The bikes look good!!

thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Both front and rear shox are the 2013 fox ctd. The rear shock has 'climb tune F' and 'compression tune F' so my guess is its firm or hard
    I used the 'fox ird app' on my iphone to setup both shox, and it helped heaps.

The pickup and go on this bike actually suprised me heaps, especially when you lockout the rear shock. It's almost as responsive on the pickup as my 26er hard tail, and while on the go, it rides better than my 26er hardtail.

The whole bike handles really smooth over rocks and roots. I went off a few drop offs and jumps with speed, and the setup felt comfy, especially after setting up and fine tuning the shox with the 'fox app'

I'll list all the parts I installed, later today.
    Last edited by mikulas; 10-17-2012 at 03:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Here is the parts list.
    Handle bars: Easton ec90 low riser
    Shifters: shimano xt
    Brakes: Hayes prime pro
    Stem: crank brothers cobalt 3
    Seat post: crank brothers cobalt 11
    Seat clamp: Thompson
    Seat: selle italia slr
    Wheels: crank brothers cobalt 3
    Tyres: schwalbe racing Ralph
    Front fork: fox float 29 32 ctd with trail adjust
    Rear shock: fox float ctd with kashima coat
    Cranks: shimano xtr
    Front derailluer: xtr
    Rear derailluer: xtr
    Cassette: xtr
    Chain: xtr
    Pedals: xtr
    Grips: esi silicone

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

weight?

Hi im bulid mine a few month ago and i love it. I wonder if you tested how heavy it is? My ended up at 11kg without pedals.

// Fred.

mtbr member
    Can someone tell me if the below will be a good build for $2500?
    Thanks in advance.

FM036
    IP-B03 handlebar
    F1irst suspension fork
    IP-SP4 seatpost
    IP-SD2 saddle
    FSA NO:42/ACB headset
    Shimano XT shifter
    SHimano XT Derailleur
    Shimano XT crank
    Shimano XT cassette
    Tektro ORION brake
    carbon Spacers and top cap
    CCC alloy 29er wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    woo hoo, I finally have received the frame. Looks and feels great.

What I find interesting is the chain-stays/seat-tube asymmetry, see the first photo.

What I don't know is what are the 2 holes on the rear triangle for, see the 2 next photos — anybody could help me on that?

The headset that came with it calls itself "Neco", see the last picture. Wondering if it would make sense to replace it with e.g. this one: Ritchey WCS Drop In Int. Carbon Taper Headset 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com — not because of weight though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-asymmetry.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-two-holes-bottom.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-two-holes-top.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-headset.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    woo hoo, I finally have received the frame. Looks and feels great.

What I find interesting is the chain-stays/seat-tube asymmetry, see the first photo.

What I don't know is what are the 2 holes on the rear triangle for, see the 2 next photos — anybody could help me on that?

The headset that came with it calls itself "Neco", see the last picture. Wondering if it would make sense to replace it with e.g. this one: Ritchey WCS Drop In Int. Carbon Taper Headset 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com — not because of weight though.
    The 2 holes are for the front derailluer cable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tskubi View Post
    ah, I thought you were joking!

http://miracletrade.en.alibaba.com/p...MTB_frame.html

Although these may be just resellers as well. So it'd be more like a "Mystery" than "Miracle".

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The 2 holes are for the front derailluer cable.
    thanks, so those don't concern me, since I'm going with XX1.

but I should probably seal them with something any hints what to use for that?
    Last edited by ypocat; 10-18-2012 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typos

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fredmtb View Post
    Hi im bulid mine a few month ago and i love it. I wonder if you tested how heavy it is? My ended up at 11kg without pedals.

// Fred.
    Yeah, its around 10.1kg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've got the new Fox CTD shock installed. I'm finding a bit of pedal bob when both front and rear are locked out and I'm gunning it at a high cadence on tar or hardpack. Only on full lock (Climb mode) at the rear, if I go to Trail mode the feel of bob is eliminated but obviously that is the shock doing it's job.

My question is, what can I change to eliminate bob on full lock out, a hardtail should not bob?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The 2 holes are for the front derailleur cable.
    Why 2 holes for the FD, I use the one on the drive side, what is the other for?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Why 2 holes for the FD, I use the one on the drive side, what is the other for?
    At different times I used an xtr derailleur for triple and a s3 sram for double. In one case I used a hole, in the other case the other hole. The two holes depend on the type of derailleur used

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've got the new Fox CTD shock installed. I'm finding a bit of pedal bob when both front and rear are locked out and I'm gunning it at a high cadence on tar or hardpack. Only on full lock (Climb mode) at the rear, if I go to Trail mode the feel of bob is eliminated but obviously that is the shock doing it's job.

My question is, what can I change to eliminate bob on full lock out, a hardtail should not bob?
    Pretty unusual that you're experiencing bob when it's in the fully locked position. I run my rockshox monarch on the lightest pedal platform at about 28% sag and get only the tiniest bit of bob, I can hardly notice it.

Maybe there's a problem with the shock. If there's only a small amount of bob in trail mode, lockout should not experience any

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

bikebuilder

have anyone seen the "FRM be active 29" mtb?

look at FRM:s home page .
    it must be a fm036 frame.

It´s awsome that they manage to build it to 9.35kg
    but ca 8000$ is much money

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Funny is , when i came to whoseller in my time to choose a carbon bike he told me that since all manufactury was removed to china all carbon frames went up with quality by 100%...Which is so sad... Not to mention the decrease the price...

Underskilled
    Has anyone bought one of these frames in the UK?

Am thinking of getting one for my wifey in s/m if anyone has one I'd love to give it a ride.
    Well she would, doubt it would fit my gigantinormous size.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

You can look at other photos in "my gallery"
    Anyway, I'll describe components:
    frame 21" (with seatpost, saddle, stem, handlebar, shock, bottle cage) from flyxii
    fork RS SID RLT 2013
    wheels on pacenti CL25 rims with DT Swiss 240 hubs (QR) and aerolit spokes (F716g, R817g)
    brakes shimano xtr 985 (F180, R160)
    crank FSA k-force light 386 BB30 27/39 10speed
    cassete shimano XT CS-M771-10 11-36
    rear der. shim RD-M980 GS
    front der. shim. FD-M785-E 2/10
    chain shim. CN-M980GS
    shifters shim. SL-M780 2/3 10
    pedals Token TK462M

tyre: for dry conditions Schwalbe Furious Fred Evo PaceStar Faltreifen 29x2.0 (installed tubeless)
    for wet Maxxis Beaver 29x2.0 aramid tpi60

Total Weight: 10 370g ("dry" version)

Criticism is appreciated
    Last edited by Ctarter; 10-27-2012 at 09:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctarter View Post

frame 21" (with seatpost, saddle, stem, handlebar, shock, bottle cage) from flyxii
    fork RS SID RLT 2013
    wheels on pacenti CL25 rims with DT Swiss 240 hubs (QR) and aerolit spokes (F716g, R817g)
    chain shim. CN-M980GS
    pedals Token TK462M

tyre: for dry conditions Schwalbe Furious Fred Evo PaceStar Faltreifen 29x2.0 (installed tubeless)

Criticism is appreciated
    Very nice built! Which damper did you choose? And shouldn't it be mounted the other way round? Looking forward for your first ride reports ....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

fork RS SID RLT 2013
    chain shim. CN-M980GS
    pedals Token TK462M

Criticism is appreciated
    Really nice build.

Additionally to the rear shock question asked by towag, what's the length of your seatpost? I'm contemplating that 350mm should plenty enough there, actually I already have it ordered. (I'm going with the 19" frame.)

What's your stem / seatpost / handlebar?

Looks like you went with the chinese carbon seat - I already have a similar one at home, but haven't tried it out yet (no bike lol) - I'm worried it won't be too comfortable - did you do any longer rides on it?

I'm also going with DT Swiss 240s (Center Lock), 15 front and 10 rear, but I'm getting carbon rims from China.

What tubeless kit have you used? Any homemade additions to the mixture?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintJV View Post
    Funny is , when i came to whoseller in my time to choose a carbon bike he told me that since all manufactury was removed to china all carbon frames went up with quality by 100%...Which is so sad... Not to mention the decrease the price...
    You know, I really did not know what you were talking about, but then I found this blog: Busted Carbon

None of that is chinese carbon! But I think the real issue why carbon is so expensive here on west (europe and US), is that it requires the user to not be a total noob, and e.g. use a torque wrench and generally be more careful with the bike than with a steel or aluminum frame, otherwise breakages result, and obviously manufacturers don't like it — even if you decline warranty on lawful terms, you get a dissatisfied customer. I think that's the reason why carbon is destined to high-end bikes and savvy build-it-myself users.

Now carbon-kevlar mixture might be the next big thing - it's lighter and stiffer than carbon, and (I assume) much harder to destroy, although definitely not noob-proof.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you, towag
    Quote Originally Posted by towag View Post
    ...Which damper did you choose? And shouldn't it be mounted the other way round?
    Kindshock 582RL, it comes with frame ( I asked flyxii any shock to escape problem with fastener). Heavy, no rebound, but two air cameras. I'm going to replace it with RS Monarch RT3.
    Does not matter how to mount it, there is no remote; current position is convinient for me to reach adjustment lever from saddle, less mud comes from rear wheel.
    Last edited by Ctarter; 10-28-2012 at 01:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    ...what's the length of your seatpost?
    What's your stem / seatpost / handlebar?

Looks like you went with the chinese carbon seat - I already have a similar one at home, but haven't tried it out yet (no bike lol) - I'm worried it won't be too comfortable - did you do any longer rides on it?

I'm also going with DT Swiss 240s (Center Lock), 15 front and 10 rear, but I'm getting carbon rims from China.

What tubeless kit have you used? Any homemade additions to the mixture?
    Thanks!
    all sticks from flyxii: seatpost 350 (sp-006), just enough for me
    stem 90 (st-004), two handlebars: flat 600mm (hb-021) and riser 660mm, saddle (sd-003). Saddle is comfartable (proved by 48m trip), shape the same as mine old "san marco" on other bike.
    "No tubes" yellow tape, nippels and sealant.

I have looked at chinese carbon rims, but decided pacenti would be lighter. If you'll test carbon rims and will give positive feedback then my seond wheelset could be carbon.
    Last edited by Ctarter; 10-28-2012 at 01:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    About to send off bushing measurements to Fox for shock order. I measured 21.7 mm front and 22.5 mm rear. Is that sounding about right? Ordered from Flyxii, and found it interesting that rear bolt doesn't completely clear as it should. Should work fine anyway, but not a perfect fit.

Also, anyone else have the rear derailleur provided not fit as it should on the frame? Not that big of a deal. A grinder should be able to remedy the problem, as it isn't that much off, but just curious.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brianlancast View Post
    About to send off bushing measurements to Fox for shock order. I measured 21.7 mm front and 22.5 mm rear. Is that sounding about right? Ordered from Flyxii, and found it interesting that rear bolt doesn't completely clear as it should. Should work fine anyway, but not a perfect fit.

Also, anyone else have the rear derailleur provided not fit as it should on the frame? Not that big of a deal. A grinder should be able to remedy the problem, as it isn't that much off, but just curious.
    I don't have a vernier caliper yet but measuring it with tape shows approx. 23mm for both, and the geometry pic states 22.4mm, so in any case I'm getting the 22,20mm 8mm bushings for my CTD shock.

I've got the frame from Baixiang bike, they call it FRX-F09, so it may be slightly different from yours, not sure.

Also no need to write to Fox, you can buy these in shops, e.g. Bike24 - Fox Racing Shox Hardware Kit (Bushings) 8mm.

Edit: also, my frame came with the shock bolts already, and they also don't fit exactly (the "female" parts are a few mms shorter).

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant View Post
    Has anyone bought one of these frames in the UK?

Am thinking of getting one for my wifey in s/m if anyone has one I'd love to give it a ride.
    Well she would, doubt it would fit my gigantinormous size.
    Yes matey, here's my build. been a few upgrades since the last update but been busy.
    BikeRadar.com • View topic - Cally's dead, long live Beyonce!

em2
    mtbr member
    riding review anyone ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by em2 View Post
    riding review anyone ?
    Done some xc races on the bike now, and about 900km over the last 3 months on it.

Would suit taller riders better I think (say 5"10 up).

Climbs fantastic, very stiff and only a tiny bit of bob, even when fully open on the shock.

Frame is stiff and direct for downhill, steering is precise (especially with carbon wheels). When set up right it's very quick through the twisting stiff, and awesome over loose rocks and rough sections.

Only time there is a compromise is in slower, extremely tight corners (like around a single tree), when the longer wheelbase can be felt.

Hope that helps

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo83 View Post
    Done some xc races on the bike now, and about 900km over the last 3 months on it.

Climbs fantastic, very stiff and only a tiny bit of bob, even when fully open on the shock.

Frame is stiff and direct for downhill, steering is precise (especially with carbon wheels). When set up right it's very quick through the twisting stiff, and awesome over loose rocks and rough sections.

Only time there is a compromise is in slower, extremely tight corners (like around a single tree), when the longer wheelbase can be felt.

Hope that helps
    I would agree with this.
    Only additional i would say is, i feel like you sit on it rather than in it.

em2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo83 View Post

Hope that helps
    thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vwsurfbum View Post
    I would agree with this.
    Only additional i would say is, i feel like you sit on it rather than in it.
    Hmm, I've always felt the opposite , coming from the old 26er Anthem I had. You have a medium frame right? Could be a sizing issue if you don't feel "in" the bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Could be, i think my 17.5" might be a little small?

Anyway, just found this Scott Nude shock at a really good price
    NEW SCOTT NUDE TC / DT SWISS REAR SHOCK ( TWINLOC REMOTE , 165MM x 37MM ) | eBay

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Found this ID on the inside of the frame. Still no clue who really makes it. Does that ID tell any of you anything?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-frame-id.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Flyxii

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vwsurfbum View Post
    Flyxii
    An “open mold frame” is a mold which the factory owns. They can sell that frame to anyone they choose. The brands who buy these open mold frames don’t own or control the design, engineering, or material selection for the products they’re marketing.

I think this is one such frame. The factory probably slaps an ID on it depending on who they make it for.

Nice pictorial from one such factory:
    Gallery: Swift Carbon: Inside A High-end Chinese Bike Factory - BikeRadar

On a separate note, my build is coming on great. Should be done in a week or two, provided XX1 is not delayed further. I had some problems with the rear suspension pivots, but these were resolved with some filing and extra washers. Btw the pivots are otherwise really good quality, contain japanese sealed bearings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    fork RS SID RLT 2013
    chain shim. CN-M980GS
    pedals Token TK462M

Criticism is appreciated
    Love the build.

I was wondering how it handled under power? Does the rear suspension stay firm when peddling or under load but absorb impacts as it should?

How about money invested? Did you save any money putting it together yourself over buying an equally well equipped assembled bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post
    I was wondering how it handled under power? Does the rear suspension stay firm when peddling or under load but absorb impacts as it should?
    I don't even expected such a nice suspension work from a single pivot system. My weight ( 95kg) and negative chamber of shock allow to provide plush at small roughness, but air pressure in positive chamber and low bike weight gives reliable suspension play at large irregularity (stones, drops). Can't fill torsion impact. Big wheels with full suspension provide smooth downstairs ride

Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post
    How about money invested? Did you save any money putting it together yourself over buying an equally well equipped assembled bike?
    I hope it cheaper, can't compare because don't know direct competitors with such a light 29 wheels (wieght of wheels is very noticable with 29" size, in my case wheels cost a bit more expensive than frame). Firstly, it a fun to build own bike.
    Last edited by Ctarter; 12-02-2012 at 10:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Tried lowering the air pressure some more on mine on the weekend. It's getting really dry, dusty and loose here in Aus and I've been a bit nervous on the Flyxii, it gets a bit skittish in loose marble stuff.

Anyway lowered the front to 25psi and rear to 28, totally transformed the bike. Way more grip now, less snappy sliding that's hard to predict

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    This frame looks great, but the time and more reviews will confirm us if it is a good option to mount a cheap bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    One more with pivoted monoshock.... Why not goes to horst link?

Send from Tapatalk via GalaxyTab

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    very interesting, i may get one of those frames later, i see they fixed the only thing that bothers me on the 2012 version, which is the rear suspension part that connects shock with the swing arm.

also the chinese logic is weird - full carbon bike, dt swiss suspension for maximum weight savings - and behold - steel rims? plus the paint / logos is fugly as always gimme my matte carbon.

me - i'm getting there, waiting for the xx1 crank + chain + shifter. january is it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-20121214_185541.jpg  

mtbr member
    also the chinese logic is weird - full carbon bike, dt swiss suspension for maximum weight savings - and behold - steel rims? plus the paint / logos is fugly as always gimme my matte carbon.
    It's a translation error, not steel they are DT Swiss X 470 29er Rims DT Swiss - X 470 29.

Full specs here Full carbon fiber 29er suspension mountain bike with Deore XT 30-S groupset,View 29er carbon mountain bike,Laplace Product Details from Shenzhen GUB Bike Trading Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

Last edited by dereknz; 12-15-2012 at 03:34 AM.
    youtube / strava. Back on a bike after 25years

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    OK, so aluminum, but why not one of those cheap (and lighter/stronger) chinese carbon rims? They probably got a good deal with DT swiss though (excluding hubs it seems).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    but yeah, i'd be getting that one had it been on the market when i was looking for a carbon XC bike.. 4kg heavier aluminum 29er XC bikes start at +1k eur in eu shops..

mtbr member

Smile w/Lefty

here is one my friend just finished....I want one now...even though I have not heard from him about how it rides....maybe he can take her out today or tomorrow (GA area has been raining...)
    Since I don't really have the $$$ I'm thinking about taking everything except the shock off my Anthem and trying this carbon thing out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-chinese-fs.jpg  

c_klein87
    interested to hear any ride reports, the angles seems good, trying to compared the wheelbase and seatstay length against similar frames but it all seems ok. Some real life feedback would be good, I already have a carbonal so i'm satisfied on quality of chinese frames

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cale399 View Post
    here is one my friend just finished....I want one now...even though I have not heard from him about how it rides....maybe he can take her out today or tomorrow (GA area has been raining...)
    Since I don't really have the $$$ I'm thinking about taking everything except the shock off my Anthem and trying this carbon thing out
    with lefty _and_ xx1 i'm guessing sub 9kg (19.8lbs)?

could you make a frontal(-or-so) pic of the handlebar to show how the xx1 gripshift + the empty left side looks like?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sub 9kilos.... With frame with more 2kg is a big challenge....

Send from Tapatalk via GalaxyTab

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    anyone from Singapore tried this frame?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    so while waiting for the xx1, i said f-it, and temporarily slapped an x5 crank and x9 rear derail + trigger on the bike for a 1x9 setup, and took it for a spin.

we have more than 300 sunny days a year here, this wasn't one of them. still, my last regular riding on an mtb bike was 10 years ago and it wasn't a carbon one, so this was hell of a fun.

the weight pic is with lights, tubes, bottle holder, garmin hodler+sensor - i will switch to tubeless once i settle with the tyre type - currently on furious freds as i'm mostly on roads, later will most prob put on racing ralphs. the 780mm 15mm riser bar feels just right for me - the bike handles extremely precise and feels very nimble, the classic 29er concerns were not confirmed.

i have fox talas on the front, can choose between 120mm and 100mm drive, haven't tried the 100mm yet, been riding it on middle trail CTD setting front and rear and did not feel a single bump on the road, and no bob on climbing. i think the fox and even the talas (vs float) is worth every extra gram it puts on the bike.

(on yeah, sorry for the **** quality pics, will do a proper photoshoot when the xx1 arrives)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-20121222_192017.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-20121222_192129.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-20121222_192327.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-20121222_192623.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-20121222_192536.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-20121222_192421.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-20121222_192713.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-20121222_193039.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-20121222_200143.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-20121222_192404.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    taste of december's snow

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LoAl View Post
    taste of december's snow
    haha. i tested the bike in 15km steep road ascent and 15km descent yesterday. in rain. at night. about 3m frontal visibility. big fun except the uncertainty of survival vs. freezing to death.

at one point during the descent i was convinced that my rear tyre must be running flat, i had the feeling that when i steer the bike a bit, the rear was floating from side to side. no idea why that was. could have been just how i perceived the bike due to my own fatigue at that time. at that area, garmin recorded the lowest temperature during the ride, 5ºC. but when i went out of the mountains and the temperature went back to about 8 or 9ºC, the bike felt normal again. i had the shock on trail (middle) setting all the way, and i haven't set the proper sag/rebound on it yet.

oh and i forgot to thank you LoAl for suggesting bikehardest for the shock bolts, they work a treat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    You're welcome

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Suggestion to MTBR: add a freaking CAPTCHA test before posting for posters with less than 10 posts. Let me know if you need to code it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I like this bike: winter downhill, snow and -23degree Celsium (really cold)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I like this bike: winter downhill, snow and -23degree Celsium (really cold)
    damn!

i had a great ride today, 20km ascent, about 800m elevation gain, the descent was pure ecstasy.. pumped my tires to 60psi, everything is sweet now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-souda-hill.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    i like how the matte carbon weave is not visible under a bit dimmer light conditions.

also from this angle the beauty of the frame really stands out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i like how the matte carbon weave is not visible under a bit dimmer light conditions.

also from this angle the beauty of the frame really stands out.

That looks Gorgeous, I have the Matt on my HT, and now seeing yours i wish i had the Matt in the Full suss too.
    But i'm not unhappy with the way mine looks

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    do any of these beauties have 120mm of squish? Also, if you order from flyxi do you need to buy any special mounting hardware? And what is the consensus on the pivots. Is there anything that needs to be done to them other than adding lube?
    thanx in advance
    my carbon footprint has cleats

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I ordered from Flyxii, just normal 20mm shock bushings that should come with your shock is fine and easily fitted, also the pivots are really good and are holding up to the crap weather over here fine!

I use 120mm forks on mine, it has 110mm at the rear so the ride is spot on.

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    thnx vwsurfbum. If I get a fox rp23 what tunes should I use? If I get one of these frames I'll post pictures when I build it up. Just need to save up for a little while. I'm glad all you guys like these.
    my carbon footprint has cleats

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Rp23 would be ideal! Start saving then start beating!!!

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast