Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Interesting pricing difference over the other side of the pond, anything with santacruz written on it would be about £1500 upwards and that's if we even get a chance to buy it!
    But theses work out about £460! Big difference in price.

Beyonce pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i think i'm gonna order the frame from flyxii. they offer free delivery.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Gentleman View Post
    i think i'm gonna order the frame from flyxii. they offer free delivery.
    Do you know if it's by air or ship? Boat can take several months.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Do you know if it's by air or ship? Boat can take several months.
    i don't think that it would take too long. i'm in Siberia. i ordered some gadgets at DealExtreme, it took 1.5 month or smth about.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vwsurfbum View Post
    Interesting pricing difference over the other side of the pond, anything with santacruz written on it would be about £1500 upwards and that's if we even get a chance to buy it!
    But theses work out about £460! Big difference in price.

Beyonce pics
    Yep, big difference!
    Here in Sweden it will also be about a factor of three between them in price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    these pivot bearings or non-bearing pivot keeps away from it. it would be no joy to brake frame or/and injury yourself in the middle of trail cause grease leaked from these non-bearings

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

The main pivots have bearings

The lower pivots most certainly have bearings. The pivots at the chain stays are brass bushings if I remember correctly. Time will tell if this is a problem. I have no idea what Scott uses at their pivots. I would be interested to know.

However, I very much doubt that bearing vs bushings at a pivot will cause a catastrophic failure on the trail. It seems far fetched, but anything is possible. If you want to argue that the frames are fragile and as such they may break, that would be catastrophic. But most carbon failures turn out to be non-catastrophic, other than a hike back out of wherever you happen to be riding. Which in some cases is a catastrophe depending on your personal definition of that word.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i speak of bearing/non-bearing/pivots, not carbon frame itself, i assume that material is good, but pivot is complex, and presume that chinese guys may not have done it reliable and strong.

mtbr member
    i speak of bearing/non-bearing/pivots, not carbon frame itself, i assume that material is good, but pivot is complex, and presume that chinese guys may not have done it reliable and strong.
    Bushings are not a bad thing. The rear pivot hardly makes any rotations, so a simple delrin of DU bushing would be just fine!
    I'm more curious about the upper&lower pivots of the swinging link, because they rotate quite a lot!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

I agree PG

If there was one place where I thought they might mess up that would be it. I was wondering about the Scott because t looks as if that's what they copied. However if the mold is made well then the pivots should have proper alignment. That would be the most important thing. after that there is the question of whether there is after mold machining to fit the bushings or bearings in the frame. I can see lots of room for error.

In fact when I took the frame out of the box and found I couldn't cycles the suspension, I was very concerned. I took apart the pivots and greased them and made sure the torque was correct and that made a world of difference. I have ridden the assembled bike and the suspension is doing its job. It's not a VPP frame but so far my friend is liking it.

It may disintegrate over time. So maybe we're only renting a frame. The economic decision is something like buy a $800 frame and have it worth nothing after two years, versus buy a $2000 frame an have it worth $1100 after two years. I just bought a one year old Tallboy Carbon for $1K less than new, I probably overpaid, but used Tallboys are thin on the ground. In that case $800 loss in value doesn't seem so bad.

For my friend and I it was an experiment and so far he is very happy. We'll see how it survives his weekly Sunday ride and a few outings to Fountainhead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    nbwallace, i eagerly wait the report about his ride and especially about the frame: its behavior, reliability, stiffness, bearing, bushing and so on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I finally got all the components, so I could complete my bike:
    Bar Grips: CTK
    Brakes Rear: Formula R1 160mm
    Brakes Front: Formula R1 160mm
    Cables / Housing: Shimano
    Cassette: Shimano XT 11/34 9-speed
    Chain: KMC 9s
    Crankset: Rotor 3D
    – Outer Ring: Middleburn 36
    – Middle Ring: Middleburn 22
    – Ring Bolts: Carbon Ti
    Derailleur Front: Shimano XTR
    Derailleur Rear: Shimano XTR
    Fork: Reba RL 80 mm tapered
    Shock: Fox RP23
    Frame: Hong Fu FM036
    Handle Bar: CTK 680 mm
    Headset: No brand China
    Pedals: Crank Brother
    Quick Releases: Tune
    Seat Post: Thomson Elite
    Seat Clamp: Salsa
    Saddle: Merek
    Shifter: Sram Attack
    Stem: Easton EA70 90mm -20°
    Tire Front: Maxxis Cross Mark
    Tire Rear: Maxxis Cross mark
    Wheel set (Front): Tune King 32 Hole with No Tubes ZTR Crest Rim
    Wheel set (Rear): Tune Kong 32 Hole with No Tubes ZTR Crest Rim

Weight 23,39
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-1.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-2.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-3.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-4.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-5.jpg  

mtbr member
    very nice!

TR
    Angry bunny
    Very cool, but why 80mm rather than 100mm?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    very nice!
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    LoAl, have you tested the bike? how is suspension, its work, reliability ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Very cool, but why 80mm rather than 100mm?
    Thanks, I wanted a race setting. I must say that the bike seemed like the same balanced

LoAl, have you tested the bike? how is suspension, its work, reliability ?
    I only noticed a little bending of seatstays. I improved by mounting a massive QR of my old Mavic ksyryum. To fully resolve, I would like to mount on rear hub a 135x10 thru axle. About the reliability of the pivots......we are waiting ....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    and how does it work ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    and how does it work ?
    The feeling is of an active suspension. Only on very steep climb with 22t I noticed pedal bob, readily solved by activating high platform of fox rp23. However, this frame has a suspension scheme very similar to that of trek superfly 100

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoAl View Post
    Very nice! And how is the braking on rough terrain, or in descents?

mtbr member
    Bar Grips: CTK
    Brakes Rear: Formula R1 160mm
    Brakes Front: Formula R1 160mm
    Cables / Housing: Shimano
    Cassette: Shimano XT 11/34 9-speed
    Chain: KMC 9s
    Crankset: Rotor 3D
    – Outer Ring: Middleburn 36
    – Middle Ring: Middleburn 22
    – Ring Bolts: Carbon Ti
    Derailleur Front: Shimano XTR
    Derailleur Rear: Shimano XTR
    Fork: Reba RL 80 mm tapered
    Shock: Fox RP23
    Frame: Hong Fu FM036
    Handle Bar: CTK 680 mm
    Headset: No brand China
    Pedals: Crank Brother
    Quick Releases: Tune
    Seat Post: Thomson Elite
    Seat Clamp: Salsa
    Saddle: Merek
    Shifter: Sram Attack
    Stem: Easton EA70 90mm -20°
    Tire Front: Maxxis Cross Mark
    Tire Rear: Maxxis Cross mark
    Wheel set (Front): Tune King 32 Hole with No Tubes ZTR Crest Rim
    Wheel set (Rear): Tune Kong 32 Hole with No Tubes ZTR Crest Rim

Weight 23,39
    I'm wondering what was the final cost of this bike?
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by two-one View Post
    Very nice! And how is the braking on rough terrain, or in descents?
    Thank you. It's my first 29". Downhill it's exhilarating: the bike goes over all the obstacles, reaching speed I could not imagine with 26". I must anticipate the braking with 160 mm rotors

Quote Originally Posted by reydin View Post
    I'm wondering what was the final cost of this bike?
    I can not give you a precise answer, 'cause the most of the components cames from my 26" frame. Approximately 3.900 euros (5k $)

mtbr member
    very nice build

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    very nice build
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi,
    Just comparing yours to mine, with 80mm forks your front end must be really low and the head angle would be really steep? have you measured it?
    I believe its designed for a 120mm fork?

I have had a couple of outings on mine now, broke my rear hanger both times :roll: no fault of the frame just unlucky

What i will say about the frame is its incredibly stiff and performs very well over the bumps, handles jumps better than expected and drops like there not there, its borderline all mountain machine!
    I run bigger rotor at the front as i feel 160mm doesn't stop you quick enough when you have the bigger wheels, but it will only house a 160mm at the rear. not really a problem as dont use it too much.

I have a race coming up in 2 weeks, hardly done any training due to being ill etc and keep braking mech hangers, but i feel it will handle anything thrown at it.
    The bearings at the back dont give me any reason for concern as they are the same as a scott spark to which it is based.

anyways enjoying it this side of the pond, got new bits and few more carbon bits ordered i'll post some new pictures once arrived.

if you look at my sig you'll see photo's and weights

mtbr member
    I once believed the bike to be designed for a 120mm fork, but I must take that back... the geometry indicates ~510mm axle-to-crown, but I realise now that the geometry is shown unsagged, which would mean a 100mm fork (~490mm sagged)

I'm really itching to try this baby out, but I must restrain myself.... for now :P

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Surely with a 80 mm fork, the ride is quite nervous....Even the 29" can not be lazy

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    any news, updates ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi,
    Just comparing yours to mine, with 80mm forks your front end must be really low and the head angle would be really steep? have you measured it?
    I believe its designed for a 120mm fork?
    Technical drawings give a fork length of 506 mm. This should be a 100 mm. With a 80 mm fork (fork lenght of 490 mm), in theory head tube angle has increased from 71 ° to 71.8°

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Some news. The assembly has resulted in some unexpected. The first, readily solved with a turn of a drill bit, has been the clogging of the end portion of a hole for the passage of the cable of the front derailleur. It was blocked by the material of the texture and color of a wax. The second unexpected was about the mounting of the front derailleur. The technical drawings of the frame suggested the use of a direct mount derailleur with two screws placed at 22 mm apart. So I ordered an S3 Sram X7 type double. When assembled, unfortunately I saw it was impossible to bring down the chain to 22. This is because the front derailleur is attached to the frame via a plate: this is too thick, then advances too preventing the derailleur to bring down the chain, even with the small screw end of stroke throughout unscrewed. I therefore had to fall back on triple front derailleur Shimano (XTR), always direct mount.
    Finally I lost a little time to find the bolts for the fixing shock on the frame. The pin is M8, only that the nut for M8 (13 mm) did not enter into the lower connection (12 mm). So, since I wanted something light, I ordered two internally threaded titanium pins M8: the upper one measuring 31 mm, 36 mm lower. With four titanium screws M6/16 I assembled everything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    To the test. I adjusted the sag of the shock as indicated fox (9 mm lowering) and I inflated to 110 psi the two chambers of the fork (my weigh 73 kg). First, the riding position is as I wanted: the right saddle-handlebar height difference due to the choice of a fork travel of 80 mm. On paper, this choice would have unbalanced the whole, having regard to the rear travel of 100 mm, but finally I have to say I have not accused any type of problem. When using a large crown, it is noted that the chain line is just above the central pivot of the suspension scheme, ensuring independence of the work of the shock while pedaling.
    On asphalt I have not seen pedal bob, this occurred only on a very steep uphill using 22. I turned pro-pedal, problem solved! Technique downhill: this bike is a train passing over everything, branches, rocks, channels, etc.. Limited only by the front tire on the muddy fractions, I did not feel very safe due to the low grip. Technique uphill: the lower front of the bike here really helped me, allowing me to advance without the risk of wheelies. It is clear that having the rear wheel constantly glued to the ground thanks to the shock work, it improves the performance. Singletrack in the undergrowth with tight bends: Here I found a little awkward, because I was losing time in tight maneuvers due to the high wheelbase. On the other hand, however I regained the gap of the driver ahead by exploiting the inertia of the wheel after having taken speed. In conclusion I enjoyed it, and that's what matters most to me ...
    Bottom Line: I have to find a lateral draw bottle cage, this interferes with the shock

MTBR Noober
    Apr 2011
    Edit. Meant to post in the other Carbon HT thread. Mods please delete.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Still think the fork should be 100-120mm, makes sense withe 100mm rear travel?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by YMMV View Post
    Edit. Meant to post in the other Carbon HT thread. Mods please delete.
    Sorry, but i didn't understand. Did I say something about the bike behaving as Ht?

Still think the fork should be 100-120mm, makes sense withe 100mm rear travel?
    It may not make sense, but I like to experiment

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Some new photos after a ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-2.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-5.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-6.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-8.jpg  

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-11.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    looks good, more racy set up than mine!

MTBR Noober
    Apr 2011
    Sorry, but i didn't understand. Did I say something about the bike behaving as Ht?

It may not make sense, but I like to experiment
    Nope. I just replied to the wrong thread like a dummy. I was trying to reply to the other Chinese carbon frame thread, not this one (dual suspension).

BTW-nice rig!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    nice to hear that testing went good. if my order of GT Zaskar fails, i definitely order this one

mtbr member
    Some new photos after a ride
    So what was the final complete weight?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Mine comes in at 12kg but with big 2.4 mountain kings on (still muddy here in blighty) but I ordered some new rubber during the week, which will take it below 12 easily.
    Broke a spoke today on my CB wheels :evil:

FIRENZE rulez !!
    here in Italy this frame is racing every weekend in hard xc and marathon races in one official team

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Want to buy new frame need help

I own a Fuji 29er hard tail that I want to convert to a suspended bike. I love the fm036 and want to buy the frame. Here are my questions:

Are these sized pretty true? I'm 6'2" with 32" inseam riding a Large frame now. If you have experience with these can you recommend a size for me?

Can you look at the components I am hoping to put on it and let me know what will not work?

REAR TRIANGLE Fuji Altair 2, custom tapered 7005 aluminum with Edge S-bend MonoStay, Cold forged dropout with CNC'D disc mount and replaceable hanger
    FORK Rock Shox Reba 29 SL Air, 80mm Travel w/Remote PopLoc
    CRANKSET TruVativ Firex 3.1 GXP, 22/32/44T
    BOTTOM BRACKET TruVativ GXP Exterior Bearing System
    PEDALS Xpedo MF-3 clipless
    FRONT DERAILLEUR SRAM X.9, 34.9mm
    REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X.9
    SHIFTERS SRAM X.9 Trigger, 27-speed
    CASSETTE SRAM PG-950, 11-34T 9-speed
    CHAIN KMC HG-73
    FRONT HUB Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H
    REAR HUB Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H
    SPOKES 14G Stainless Steel
    RIMS WTB Lazer Disc Trail 29", 32H DW w/ Single Eyelet
    TIRES Continental Mountain King 29 X 2.2
    TUBES CST Lite presta
    BRAKE SET Avid Juicy 7 Hydraulic Disc, 160R/185F mm rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS Avid Juicy 7
    HEADSET V.P. A-42E 1 1/8" Press Fit Integrated, 30mm spacers
    HANDLEBAR Fuji Pro Riser 15mm double butted aluminum 31.8mm
    STEM Fuji Pro Ultalite Forged Alloy +/- 7 degree
    TAPE/GRIP Fuji Dual Density Kraton rubber
    SADDLE WTB Rocket V Comp SE
    SEAT POST Fuji Forged Al micro adjust, 350mm
    SEAT CLAMP Fuji Superlite Alloy, 34.9mm Laser Etched
    WEIGHT, LB./KG. 28.96/13.135

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Fm036 what shock

I have a DHX Air 5.0 that is 7.875X2.25. I see the fm035 takes 165mm shock. Would this translate?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nope ut would need to be 7.25

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    So what was the final complete weight?
    10,610 kg

Quote Originally Posted by vontress View Post
    I own a Fuji 29er hard tail that I want to convert to a suspended bike. I love the fm036 and want to buy the frame. Here are my questions:

Are these sized pretty true? I'm 6'2" with 32" inseam riding a Large frame now. If you have experience with these can you recommend a size for me?

Can you look at the components I am hoping to put on it and let me know what will not work?

FORK Rock Shox Reba 29 SL Air, 80mm Travel w/Remote PopLoc OK
    CRANKSET TruVativ Firex 3.1 GXP, 22/32/44T OK
    BOTTOM BRACKET TruVativ GXP Exterior Bearing System OK
    PEDALS Xpedo MF-3 clipless OK
    FRONT DERAILLEUR SRAM X.9, 34.9mm NO (it needs direct mount)
    REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X.9 OK
    SHIFTERS SRAM X.9 Trigger, 27-speed OK
    CASSETTE SRAM PG-950, 11-34T 9-speed OK
    CHAIN KMC HG-73 OK
    FRONT HUB Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H OK
    REAR HUB Fuji Sealed Bearing Disc, 32H OK
    SPOKES 14G Stainless Steel OK
    RIMS WTB Lazer Disc Trail 29", 32H DW w/ Single Eyelet OK
    TIRES Continental Mountain King 29 X 2.2 OK
    TUBES CST Lite presta OK
    BRAKE SET Avid Juicy 7 Hydraulic Disc, 160R/185F mm rotor OK
    BRAKE LEVERS Avid Juicy 7 OK
    HEADSET V.P. A-42E 1 1/8" Press Fit Integrated, NO (it needs 1 1/8" - 1 1/2")
    HANDLEBAR Fuji Pro Riser 15mm double butted aluminum 31.8mm OK
    STEM Fuji Pro Ultalite Forged Alloy +/- 7 degree OK
    TAPE/GRIP Fuji Dual Density Kraton rubber OK
    SADDLE WTB Rocket V Comp SE OK
    SEAT POST Fuji Forged Al micro adjust, 350mm if 31,6 OK
    SEAT CLAMP Fuji Superlite Alloy, 34.9mm Laser Etched OK

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    10,610 kg
    WOW thats a lot lighter than mine other than the fork (mines running 120mm) what else is different? What wheels set you running as mine arnt heavy?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My naked wheels weigh less than 1500 g (tune hubs and crest rims), saddle full carbon is about 90 g, ctk handlebar is 145 g, brake set is one of the lightest around, pedals, crankset and stem are also light enough
    Last edited by LoAl; 03-27-2012 at 03:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

rear shock mounting

Hi,
    what parts did you had to buy in order to mount the rear shock? where did you buy it from?

many thanks,

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

What size frame??

I'm ordering the fm036 frame and wondered how the fit is. I'm 6'2" with short legs (32" inseam) I was thinking the 19 would be good bet. Any thoughts on those who have bought this bike??

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I am ordering the fm036 from Hung Fu. I'm 6'2" with only 32" legs. I was thinking the 19 would be ideal. Anyone with experience out there think any different??

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast