Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 1919
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Is it necessary to use these spans? HongFu is going to ship mounting bolts with the frame.

Carbon8er
    The bearings have nothing to do with the mounting bolts.
    The bearings are just a way more precise shock bushing system

You can use the stock bushings on your shock and the bolts Hong Fu sends you

mtbr member

New IP-036 Build

Hi guys, after deciding that I didn't want to spend double the money on a Specialized Epic, I have ordered an IP-036 from XMIplay. Below is a photo of the paint scheme they are doing for me. It will be white with the black areas exposed 3k carbon, then a gloss top coat applied to the entire frame surface.

My build will be as follows:
    IP-036 19", XMIplay
    30MM wide (new process) carbon wheels, XMIplay
    Carbon bars, XMIplay
    Carbon seatpost, XMIplay
    XX1 drivetrain, eBay
    XT Brakes, Bike Nashbar
    Fox CTD fork w/remote lockout, eBay
    Fox CTD rear shock w/remote lockout, TBD
    Continental X-King Tires

Lots of other little parts but I won't bore you with those details.

I've already built a Chinese Carbon 29er Hardtail and have decided that it would be great to have a similar bike in a Full Suspension model. Looking forward to have this bike up and running within the next month or two.

Cheers!

Carbon8er
    Nice !!!!!!

How much did you get the XX1 group for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El34 View Post
    Nice !!!!!!

How much did you get the XX1 group for?
    $1079 + free shipping, no tax

If you are looking to purchase an XX1 group, be careful, sellers are mixing in X01 components so they undercut the price. I only buy new parts on eBay, otherwise you never know what you're going to get.

Carbon8er
    I bought my XX1 on ebay a couple months ago for $970, no tax, no shipping.

Just curious what they are going for these days

It's on my IP-036 here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-img_7795.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    If you are using Rockshox you will have to buy something to adapt the different diameters. Hongfu does ship the bolts, but Rockshox sells their bushing fit kit as a separate item. I ordered 2x NBKRWC2185 from Real World Cycling and they fit great.

Carbon8er
    Are the rockshox bolts smaller in diameter?

My fox shock uses 8mm diameter bolts.

The RWC bearing kits I installed came with some sleeves that look to be an adapters for smaller diameter bolts.

Never had a rockshox frame shock, just curious about those extra pieces.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Are the rockshox bolts smaller in diameter?

My fox shock uses 8mm diameter bolts.

The RWC bearing kits I installed came with some sleeves that look to be an adapters for smaller diameter bolts.

Never had a rockshox frame shock, just curious about those extra pieces.
    The Rockshox Monarch I used had 1/2" eyelets with a thin pressed in bushing (same for all rear RS?). You have to remove the bushing (which is a PITA) I was worried of damaging the shock with my press so I had to resort to a bolt extractor to rotate it out like so:
    Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-extractor.jpg
    Here's the finished product, width fits snugly between the carbon tabs and HongFu provided bolt fits tightly through the bearing.
    Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-rwcend.jpg

Carbon8er
    Yeah, those bushings are a pain.
    I have had to press them out on older Fox shocks

I have a small wrench socket that happens to the the correct diameter, just a hair smaller than the shock hole.

Using my press was easy after that.

The new Fox shocks have plastic bushings and they come out really easy

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Anyone buildt the FM036 with 142x12 rear axle? I got this option on my (changeable dropouts) so I ordered a wheel with DT 240s 142x12 hub. The only problem is that I have no axle right now.

And when I look at pictures of the DT thru axel it is threaded in one end. But my dropout are not threaded, does the DT axel come with a nut that I mount on the rear hangers? Here is the product image of the rear axle.

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-dt-swiss-rws-x-12.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    You'll need the Shimano style with the nut. See here:
    Chinese Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mobes View Post
    You'll need the Shimano style with the nut. See here:
    Chinese Carbon 29er
    Thank you! Just what I was looking for, so i guess the shimano axle would work with the DT-240s hub then?

Carbon8er
    I ordered my IP-036 with 12 x 142

I already had the wheel set and axle

I popped by my local bike shop and they had axle nuts

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    So if i buy this: Shimano XTR Steckachse SM-AX75 fr FH-M988B 12mm gnstig online kaufen - bike-components would it fit my FM-036 frame and DT 240s 142x12 rear hub?

Carbon8er
    I did not see a picture of that nut on that web site

You want a round nut with scallops like the picture I uploaded.

A small set screw goes down into one of the scallops and holds it in place so it does not fall off the bike
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anybody have an idea of steerer tube length? Would like to reuse an existing fork with about 7 inches of length.

Carbon8er
    Each frame size has it's own head tube length
    I just looked at the frame spec's for the frames from xmiplay

Or whoever you are interested in getting a frame from, get the spec sheets emailed to you

mtbr member
    I bought my XX1 on ebay a couple months ago for $970, no tax, no shipping.

Just curious what they are going for these days

It's on my IP-036 here.
    I know, seems like the price fluctuates $100 up or down on any given week depending on the seller.

2/28 Update
    Rec'd my XX1 group today from ebay seller westcoastbicycleLLC. Everything is new and arrived in approx 4 days. Not as cheap as some have been able to purchase the XX1 group but a good seller and it shipped quickly with all the parts per my selections.
    Last edited by Epic_Dude; 02-28-2014 at 02:38 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Here is my carbonal Titan not rode it yet it comes in at 21.7 lbs so not bad at all

mtbr member
    Looks good.

mtbr member
    Nice Carbonal build milkybar kid. The Titan has a slightly different single pivot design than the IP-036 I just ordered. I would be curious if it rides much differently from the bike I a building. I think I will also go with a Fox rear shock, if I get one with a remote, I can setup the remote lever to lock out the fork and the shock at the same time, or switch between CTD modes.

Only a few parts left to order, and I have already received my Fox Fork, XT brakes, and XX1 group. I've gone a little over budget but I will have some very good components on this bike.
    Last edited by Epic_Dude; 02-28-2014 at 04:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I first ordered a 25mm seat back seatpost, but it took to long so i canceled the order, then I figured, this frame may not need any seatback. The angle of the seat tube is pretty steep back already. What are your thoughts? seat back or not?

mtbr member
    Most builds I've seen do not have a "setback" or "laid back" seat post on these frames.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Anybody in New Jersey or NY area that have built one of those and is interested in getting paid to build me one of those on the FM-036/IP036 ?
    I live in a apartment and don't have the space to do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesrg View Post
    Anybody in New Jersey or NY area that have built one of those and is interested in getting paid to build me one of those on the FM-036/IP036 ?
    if I over in your area I would consider helping you out but maybe you should talk to one of the mechanics at one of your local bike shops.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesrg View Post
    And I thought apartments in Japan were small! How small of a place do you have? You really don't need much space to put it together.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    And I thought apartments in Japan were small! How small of a place do you have? You really don't need much space to put it together.
    you've probably never been to NYC. I completely understand what the dude is saying! I'm enjoying now living in florida with my 400 sq ft 2 car garage instead of leaving grease all over my 400 sq ft apt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    you've probably never been to NYC. I completely understand what the dude is saying! I'm enjoying now living in florida with my 400 sq ft 2 car garage instead of leaving grease all over my 400 sq ft apt.
    I'm with you on that. Although building a bike is not a greasy, dirty mess when all the parts are clean and new. Just apply a dab of grease here and there. I would say the messiest part would be installing the hydraulic brakes. If you went with cable brakes then you could avoid that mess as well.
    Last edited by Epic_Dude; 03-06-2014 at 07:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have convinced my fiancee to get a MTB. Chain love is blowing out 26er BMC speedfoxes for under $1000 . any reason why I can't use the rear shock from that on one of these frames? They dont have them in her size so I was going to buy the xl bmc frame and strip the parts to put on a small carbon chiner . I will buy her a tower pro 29er fork for it as well then I'll sell the BMC frame or I'll build it for myself

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Why go to all of that trouble? Whether you are getting an XL BMC for yourself or not, both scenarios leave you with a frame that needs a shock purchased seperately. Consider both purchases individually as there is nothing about one that justifies the other.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon 29er

Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    Why go to all of that trouble? Whether you are getting an XL BMC for yourself or not, both scenarios leave you with a frame that needs a shock purchased seperately. Consider both purchases individually as there is nothing about one that justifies the other.
    What trouble? You can't buy a full suspension xc bike for under 3k with xt components. This will come in way under that

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

What trouble? You can't buy a full suspension xc bike for under 3k with xt components. This will come in way under that

Also I may just buy her a carbon full sus 26er in which case I can use everything off the BMC including the wheels and fork

mtbr member
    You can't buy a full suspension xc bike for under 3k with xt components.

Sure you can, check out Bikesdirect.com or Airbourne Bikes. Both sell some good FS, XT Group, options for well under $3k. You just need to know where to look.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    Sure you can, check out Bikesdirect.com or Airbourne Bikes. Both sell some good FS, XT Group, options for well under $3k. You just need to know where to look.
    I know bikes direct well. There are some decent deals there but there are always a couple things lacking. I may end up getting just the frame from them. I just bought the speedfox for $999. And its got better wheels, tires shock and fork than the bikes direct offerings

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anyone know a place to get a quick replacement for my FM036 rear hanger? Seems my endo today bent it enough to hit the spokes. I pounded it back in shape, but really need some extras for my bag anyways.
    Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-photo-11.jpg
    Is this a standard Type 75?

mtbr member
    I think you need to contact HongFu or XMIplay to get those, I would assume they are specific to the IP-036. Maybe order two replacements so yo will have a spare.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ok, new to the thread and looking to build one of these up for 100 mile racing.

Are any of the _-036 frames 100mm rear travel? It seams they started that way and then went to 120MM.

Would you recommend replacing the bearings to start?

Is the rear shock still the 6.5x1.5?

Does the shock mounting hardware come with the shock or do I need to order with the frame?

Any overriding preference on the rear shock: Fox or Rock Shox?

Has one vendor proved better than another for the frame?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just spent 90 minutes reading all the 2013 to present posts and I am a bit confused. Thx.

Carbon8er
    Here's my IP-036 build therad
    My IP-036 carbon build

Check out my shock bushing upgrade and other info

If you have any questions, let me know

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by coyotegulch View Post

Are any of the _-036 frames 100mm rear travel? It seams they started that way and then went to 120MM.
    It was recommended to me to stick with 100mm, and I echo that recommendation.

No need to replace the bearings, they look pretty good and feel smooth to me.

Is the rear shock still the 6.5x1.5?
    Yes 6.5x1.5

Does the shock mounting hardware come with the shock or do I need to order with the frame?
    My FM036 did come with bolts that are used in conjuction with a shock mounting hardware kit. Rockshox Monarch RT3 did NOT come with any mounting hardware. I ordered quantity 2 of the RWC NBKRWC2185 that interfaces between the frame bolts, and the shock bushing.

Any overriding preference on the rear shock: Fox or Rock Shox?
    I'm a RockShox fan, but did notice that a Fox rear with handlebar remote might work better with the FM036's internal cable guide. I'm not a fan of more crap on my handlebar so this wasn't much of an issue in my decision to go with the Monarch.

Has one vendor proved better than another for the frame?
    I ordered a HongFu FM036 in February, and it arrived in approx 10 days. Very pleased with the transaction.

mtbr member

I believe it's 110-120 travel, but I'm not sure it's really much over 100, haven't really seen anyone measure the travel.

Only a few people have thought the bearings aren't great, but others have just repacked the grease and moved on with their build.

Is the rear shock still the 6.5x1.5? Yes.

Does the shock mounting hardware come with the shock or do I need to order with the frame? Yes, some hardware comes with the frame but I think I will end up also ordering the RWC bearing kits.

Any overriding preference on the rear shock: Fox or Rock Shox? I went with a Fox CTD Boost Remote.

Has one vendor proved better than another for the frame? I like XMIplay. IP-036 Popular sale! full suspension carbon mountain bike frame 29er-Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd.

Sorry for all the questions, but I just spent 90 minutes reading all the 2013 to present posts and I am a bit confused. Thx.
    See above replies.

Carbon8er
    I am not sure if all the XX-036 are made the same but the IP-036 I got from peter at xmiplay has excellent sealed bearings on all pivots.
    I took pics of all the bearings when I got the frame and wrote down the part numbers in case I ever have to replace a bearing
    pics are here
    My IP-036 carbon build

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the-milkybar-kid View Post
    Here is my carbonal Titan not rode it yet it comes in at 21.7 lbs so not bad at all
    Have been out a few times now and it's a great bike it seems stiffer than my old 036 frame that may just be down to the carbon wheels and it don't feel as long it just feels great everywhere I take it

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Could someone pls help me. I have instated xx1 crankset on this frame and there is about 1-1,5 cm space between right crank and BB. How can it be?

Carbon8er
    BB's usually come with a spacer ring for different width BB shells
    What is the width on your bb shell?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It should be tightened pretty hard, do not remember exactly, but I think it's 45-50 newtons. Dont know what you are using, but you need something more powerful than a standard allen key.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    BB's usually come with a spacer ring for different width BB shells
    What is the width on your bb shell?
    It's 68 mm Hong Fu BB. I used SRAM gxp ceramic BB/ I bought it on eBay and there were no spacers with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    You need the spacers. Search eBay for "GXP Spacer".

No spacers = 73mm. You need one on each side for 68mm.

mtbr member
    New frame arrived. IP-036 from XMIplay. Paint looks good, weight came in at 2250g for a Large with the extra paint (plastic shock mount still installed). Will start building this weekend. Based on the weight of my parts, it looks like the the total weight of the bike will be around 25 lbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Epic Dude. pics or it didn't happen. . Seriously, would love to see a pic of the frame. I order my IP-036 from Peter a couple days ago so for now I've gotta live vicariously thru you. Thanks,
    Andy.