Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,300 of 2314
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    impressive weight. I am a little hesitant with the frame due to the low tyre clearance.

I had a look at your thread. I struggled a bit with the french.

About 9 pages in (of 22), you show a few photos of the tyre clearance. Does "RK 2.2" mean race king 2.2? Am i correct to interpret that you had a 57.7mm (measured) width tyre on there, and still had over 6mm clearance on each side? (from the tyre to the chainstays)

the technical drawing posted in that thread showed much less tyre clearance.

i see that your latest photos have a maxxis ardent 2.25 on the rear. what is the tyre clearance like with that tyre?

Iam also curious about how much space it really is. For me this is the only issue why I have not order this frame.
    sub

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eriklanden View Post
    Iam also curious about how much space it really is. For me this is the only issue why I have not order this frame.
    sub

I have 5mm left for each side between the frame and my ardent 2.25 @ 1,4b

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    First time long time...planning for a big 2018 and need to swap out my HT for a FS. I have narrowed it down to a FM058SL or a NOS Tallboy CC. I am leaning toward the FM058SL with the Monarch XX.

Couple of items I have learned during research:
    - FM058SL now has a max tire size listed of 2.3 on the Alibaba site
    - The SL adds $100 to the frame cost
    - tskubi's thread has a lot of good data on the thru axle and pivots to support easy upgrade over stock decisions

I haven't purchased yet, but should pull the trigger soon as I am still debating paint.

AKA Mr.Habanero
    What frame is that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Has this frame been discussed or reviewed?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29er-T800-F...mZfh-iybL50dKg

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by anarkhos View Post

70 degree hta. 71 degree sta. Not what I would look for in a bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_alley View Post
    70 degree hta. 71 degree sta. Not what I would look for in a bike.
    That's based on an axle-to-crown height of 514mm. A 140mm fork would push that to 550-560mm slackening both angles.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    According to my calcs a 550mm crown height would translate to a HFA of 68.26 which is kinda like the transition bandit

Formerly of Kent
    Regardless of geometry, that's an ugly frame.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Regardless of geometry, that's an ugly frame.

Would it look better with several hundred dollars glued around the top tube?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    BTW, why are you shilling for the Motorola DROID Turbo 2? I hope you're getting paid.

Formerly of Kent
    Would it look better with several hundred dollars glued around the top tube?
    There are plenty of Chinese carbon FS bikes that don't look terrible AND are in the same price range.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    LOL, OK this is getting autistic. Bowing out.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    LOL, OK this is getting autistic. Bowing out.
    I would look into the Ican P-8, P-9, or A-7 before this frame. I have a P-8 built up with a 140mm Fox fork. Pretty nice bike. Rear suspension is similar to Transition suspension. This is kind of an old school 4 bar suspension.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Heh, these guys don't like advertising model numbers, do they?

https://www.amazon.com/ICAN-Carbon-T...ame&th=1&psc=1

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Looks like none of those are 29ers? I can't even see a link to the "A-7" (assuming that's supposed to be hyphenated. The others aren't, at least from what confusing blurb I'm reading).

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    This looks more appropriate, but WTF is that thing in front of the BB? Some kind of compartment?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...513233864.html

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Looks like none of those are 29ers? I can't even see a link to the "A-7" (assuming that's supposed to be hyphenated. The others aren't, at least from what confusing blurb I'm reading).
    They are 29ers and will easily handle a 29" x 2.4" tire with plenty room to spare. I think it is S7. Sorry bout the mixup.
    Last edited by endo_alley; 01-23-2018 at 07:31 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ican P8 built with 29" x 40mm rims and 2.4" Mountain Kings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-img_0784.jpg  

Last edited by endo_alley; 01-23-2018 at 07:29 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Here is another of their 29er frames. (I think Imust and Ican are the same). 67 degree hta 29er FS frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-imust-29er.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hm, someone claimed they put a 29x2.4 on a P8 frame:
    29" tires on ICAN P8 frame

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I mailed them to see if the P9 takes 29x2.4 wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Here is another of their 29er frames. (I think Imust and Ican are the same). 67 degree hta 29er FS frame.
    They appear to be allergic to using model names or numbers. So odd

mtbr member
    May 2013
    They appear to be allergic to using model names or numbers. So odd
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/IMUST-29er-...IAAOSwjS9Zgtvw

I don't know the model number. But a ten second search (Imust 29er frame) brought up this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I don't know the model number. But a ten second search (Imust 29er frame) brought up this.
    Yeah, and the same store sells several frames, none of which have model names or numbers. Sometimes they mention travel, sometimes not. It's like they're purposely making it difficult. They may as well put all the frames in one of those claw crane games at the arcade.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Anyone reported on the "S7" frame (which is sold in various other web sites but without any mention of the model "S7" because reasons)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=222135463032

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Interesting responce from ican (I asked if I could mount a 29x2.4):

"Sorry ,for P9 frame ,max tire 29*2.3''tire ,USD590/set (frame,headset,hanger)"

mtbr member
    May 2013

There are plenty of posts of people using 29x 2.4" tires on the P8, P9 frame. Why don't you ask them? Or take their word for it. The S7 frame has 440mm chain stays. Similar to the P8 and P9. So if the P8, P9 can handle 29er wheels the S7 probably can also. The P8 has more BB drop. And so even after upping to 29er wheels, the P8 BB will probably be lower than the S7 BB. I don't know that for sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Why don't you ask them? Or take their word for it.
    Just in case you missed it: I did ask them and I posted their reply. Are you asking me to ask them a second time?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just in case you missed it: I did ask them and I posted their reply. Are you asking me to ask them a second time?
    You asked owners of the frame if it will handle 29" tires/ wheels? I didn't see any P8 or P9 owners responding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    endo_alley, you should probably stop now. Unless your patience knows no bounds, this is only going to end in frustration...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    endo_alley, you should probably stop now. Unless your patience knows no bounds, this is only going to end in frustration...
    Thanks. I thought I might have misspoke earlier and wanted to clarify any obscurity. But really it doesn't matter either way. I really don't care what choice anybody makes. Others have given me good council in the past. I wanted to pass on the favor with what little I know on the subject. There are no doubt others with more knowledge than me.

mtbr member
    You can say that again. Hurts my head just reading it. Endo good on you for providing the information. How are you liking the P8 btw?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    You can say that again. Hurts my head just reading it. Endo good on you for providing the information. How are you liking the P8 btw?
    It has really turned out to be a great bike. It took a while trying different length stems and stem spacers, and adjusting the seat forward and back a few times till I got the fit the way I like it. I like this particular application of the Horst link rear pivot. The first inch or so of travel seem to resist pedal bobbing. Once you get into the middle of the travel the suspension really opens up. The bike is light. It seems to remain reasonably stable at speed. But will turn on a dime at lower speed. The P8 is more of an all around trail bike than it is an enduro bomber. Unfortunately the bike sits in the garage for now. And out came my fat bike (and skis) for a few months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    You asked owners of the frame if it will handle 29" tires/ wheels? I didn't see any P8 or P9 owners responding.

I asked ican and got a response.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I asked ican and got a response.
    The truth is out there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    First time long time...planning for a big 2018 and need to swap out my HT for a FS. I have narrowed it down to a FM058SL or a NOS Tallboy CC. I am leaning toward the FM058SL with the Monarch XX.

Couple of items I have learned during research:
    - FM058SL now has a max tire size listed of 2.3 on the Alibaba site
    - The SL adds $100 to the frame cost
    - tskubi's thread has a lot of good data on the thru axle and pivots to support easy upgrade over stock decisions

I haven't purchased yet, but should pull the trigger soon as I am still debating paint.
    I was also interested in the FM058SL. However the guy at HongFu scared me off with what sounded like a 3 month wait for the lighter frame. Yesterday I ordered the normal non-SL frame, which they have in stock. I think there is a slight delay in the finishing (getting gloss coat), but hopefully it will be shipped out this week. When I get it, I will update this thread with weights etc, and document the build.

I am building it up mostly with parts I already have.
    2014 Fox fork (ctd, factory, normal 46mm offset, remote)
    xx1 11 speed drivetrain
    Xtr M980 cranks, m985 pedals, m9000 brakes, CL rotors
    240s hubs, new 30mm Chinese rims. Yet to build wheels, but reckon they'll go just under 1300g (even with brass nips)

I haven't totally decided on a shock yet. While I like remote lockouts, and quite like the hydraulic action of the xx WC fork on my 26er, I am not sold on the xx shock - it seems a Little bit old tech, and haven't found a great deal on it. Where do you think you'll get yours from? I am currently leaning towards the McLeod, which gets rave reviews, is quite cheap, but I am not sure it if is appropriate for a dedicated race bike.

I hope to get it built up under 10kg, which is what my 26er is. While the frame is reasonably light, my wheels will be light, and it will have a lot of carbon stuff on it (bars, post, saddle rails etc), I don't like to go too light on tyres (looking at tyres around 650g), or get any of that super exotic (prohibitively expensive) stuff, so i am not super confident that it'll turn out sub-10.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I was also interested in the FM058SL. However the guy at HongFu scared me off with what sounded like a 3 month wait for the lighter frame. Yesterday I ordered the normal non-SL frame, which they have in stock. I think there is a slight delay in the finishing (getting gloss coat), but hopefully it will be shipped out this week. When I get it, I will update this thread with weights etc, and document the build.

xx1 11 speed drivetrain
    240s hubs, new 30mm Chinese rims. Yet to build wheels, but reckon they'll go just under 1300g (even with brass nips)

I haven't totally decided on a shock yet. While I like remote lockouts, and quite like the hydraulic action of the xx WC fork on my 26er, I am not sold on the xx shock - it seems a Little bit old tech, and haven't found a great deal on it. Where do you think you'll get yours from? I am currently leaning towards the McLeod, which gets rave reviews, is quite cheap, but I am not sure it if is appropriate for a dedicated race bike.

I hope to get it built up under 10kg, which is what my 26er is. While the frame is reasonably light, my wheels will be light, and it will have a lot of carbon stuff on it (bars, post, saddle rails etc), I don't like to go too light on tyres (looking at tyres around 650g), or get any of that super exotic (prohibitively expensive) stuff, so i am not super confident that it'll turn out sub-10.
    Three months!!! Oy vey!!!

The Monarch XX is being sold on eBay by 365cycles for $288.

Hongfu does not make a XL in the SL or non SL even though they advertise it. I am dragging my feet because I would have to run a 110mm stem on the large...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by lisacycle View Post
    You should also look at Pro-Mance. 29er*2.1'' M9007. I got a very competitive quote from them and they have "super-light" Toray 800 frames in stock.

Nobody makes this frame in anything larger than a 19" btw, pure marketing inaccuracy.

AKA Mr.Habanero
    evolvebikes.ca/collections/framesets/products/alpha-29-carbon-frameset

What frame is that? Or is it one of those frames that cant be bought on ebay?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I recently built a size 20.5" Ican S8 and found to my great displeasure about 2mm of side-to-side play in all of the pivot bearings on the frame. I disassembled them and found that instead of Loctite, they were secured with c-clip springs.

I've never seen, heard of, or read about c-clips being used to hold suspension pivot bearings into a frame. Unfortunately, the bike is in the shop, so I don't have any pictures at the moment. Has anyone ever experienced this with a frame? I've browsed every build thread I can find, but everyone else's bearings seem to be properly installed in their frames.
    I decided to go with the S8 based on the geometry and other users' positive experiences with their P8 frames, which seems to be as close to a trail bike as the major Chinese manufacturers produce.

I had my local shop loctite the bearings into the frame, but that has only solved about 75% of the flex in the back end of the bike. It's also interesting that KHS is selling the S8 as a "Team 29 FS." TEAM 29 FS - KHS Bicycles I wonder if their frames have this problem. Other than the weird back end looseness, the bike rides great and absolutely rips downhill. This frame is certainly one of the most progressive XC bikes on the market at the moment.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I rode my P8 all last fall with no bearing problems. Very tight. In fact the suspension is very quiet so far. No squeaking, creaking, or clicking the way other bikes sometimes do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I rode my P8 all last fall with no bearing problems. Very tight. In fact the suspension is very quiet so far. No squeaking, creaking, or clicking the way other bikes sometimes do.
    what do you think if 150mm fork with 29 wheels on p8? you have 140? what is you head angle?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by panzer103 View Post
    evolvebikes.ca/collections/framesets/products/alpha-29-carbon-frameset

What frame is that? Or is it one of those frames that cant be bought on ebay?
    Thats an Ican P9. It can be bought directly from Ican.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _boo View Post
    what do you think if 150mm fork with 29 wheels on p8? you have 140? what is you head angle?

It would be just fine. Ill measure my HA here in a minute on my P8 with a 140mm travel fork. Give me a few minutes.

mtbr member

Mine on a plus tire with a 140mm travel fork is a measured 67.8 degrees at static height. I am hoping to put an 18mm spacer under the bearings on the steerer tube to get it a little slacker.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Mine on a plus tire with a 140mm travel fork is a measured 67.8 degrees at static height. I am hoping to put an 18mm spacer under the bearings on the steerer tube to get it a little slacker.
    thanks. so i assume 150mm fork would give me 67 degrees. may be a bit less with 200x57 rear shock so i'll get around 135 rear and 150 front. hope the frame will handle this

mtbr member
    thanks. so i assume 150mm fork would give me 67 degrees. may be a bit less with 200x57 rear shock so i'll get around 135 rear and 150 front. hope the frame will handle this

Im running the same travel shock in the back as you are. And I weighed in at about 300 lbs last year and rode this bike all year without a single issue. So based on my experience I dont think you will have an ounce of issue!

mtbr member
    May 2013

I am not sure of the head angle. I have a 140mm front fork, and offset bushings in the shock to decrease the shock eye to eye down about 5mm or so. Probably a little slacker than 68 degree specification of the frame. It rides nice as an all around trail bike. I am sure the difference between a 140mm fork and a 150mm fork will not be night and day. And I am sure the bike will handle it. If I was to with a 150mm in the front, I would use a 200 x 57mm shock in the rear to increase the rear travel by 3/4 an inch or so. Bike can handle it, even with 29" wheels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks for the input, i will use 200x57 rear for sure, but regarding the fork still hesitating between 150 and 140

mtbr member
    May 2013
    140mm fork seems fairly well balanced for the bike. If you want to go big, maybe another choice is to consider the P-9. But if you want to put a 150mm fork on this bike I am sure it will handle it. As long as you are ok with a bike that has a lot more front than rear travel. It never bothered me that much. The BB height is low on this frame. So a slightly taller fork won't get your BB height too far out of whack. Main thing is it will slacken the seat tube angle a little.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Has anyone ordered from icancycling.com? Is it a reputable site or should i contact icanbikes.com? The P8 (27.5+ boost Carbon) looks like it will work for a nice 29 xc/trail with all the parts I already have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 96Turner View Post
    Has anyone ordered from icancycling.com? Is it a reputable site or should i contact icanbikes.com? The P8 (27.5+ boost Carbon) looks like it will work for a nice 29 xc/trail with all the parts I already have.
    Contact them through icanbikes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Contact them through icanbikes.

i bought from icancycling.com no problems at all. fast replies on all my questions. and you can negotiate the price. ask for a discount.

mtbr member
    Which model is for XC and a full suspension 29'er?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Bone View Post
    Which model is for XC and a full suspension 29'er?

There are a lot of them. What are you looking for, geometry-wise?
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I'm looking for XC, not an all mountain. Something with 120mm of rear travel and locks out good.

mtbr member
    There are many. Check out the Ican P8 or the XM carbon speed FS27.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    @tskubi

Has your experience with the FM058 frame been positive so far? Is there any strange flex or play in the bearing assemblies or under hard pedaling? I am considering Hongfu's updated FM258, but want to be sure that the frame won't have any small issues. The Ican S8 I own has too much flex around the pivots from poor manufacturing tolerances.

banned
    Nov 2015
    Whos got a xmcarbon fs29? It says 100mm rear, and front, looks like a scott spark with the upsode down shock, however it says 66 head tube angle. I could see if it was the 120 rear. Does this seem right, or a typo?

http://www.xmcarbonspeed.cn/full-sus...ame_p0090.html

They have a 110 rear, 120 front with 68 that reminds me of a Camber when i look at it. I would think it would have the slacker hta than the 100mm bike.

http://www.xmcarbonspeed.cn/29er-ful...ber_p0215.html

Im going to ask Peter if its a typo on the fs29, is anybody riding one of these?

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Whos got a xmcarbon fs29? It says 100m IPm rear, and front, looks like a scott spark with the upsode down shock, however it says 66 head tube angle. I could see if it was the 120 rear. Does this seem right, or a typo?

full suspension mtb 29er frame

They have a 110 rear, 120 front with 68 that reminds me of a Camber when i look at it. I would think it would have the slacker hta than the 100mm bike.

29er full suspension mtb bicycle frame carbon fiber

Im going to ask Peter if its a typo on the fs29, is anybody riding one of these?

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    The spark clone is 66.8 I believe. I have the fs027 which is the plus/29er. The geo is identical to the spark except for the stack height which is shorter.

I wouldn't get the 29er though. I would get the fs27 which fits plus and 29er and with trunnion shock will be 120mm rear. The fs27 will have more clearance and I believe the 29 is 142mm rear the 27 is 148mm.

I will say you won't be able to put a trunnion shock on it with out modification.

The bottom mounts are 8mm. Trunnion are 10mm so you will be stuck with a 165x38 shock instead of a 165x45.

Also the non drive side lacks clearance for the air valve due to it not being carved out like a true spark.

At some point in the future I am going to ream out the mount holes and use a dremel to make room for the valve.

Waiting on DVO to release the Opal before I do that though.

You can source a fox 165x45 shock now but they are 449$ and don't come with trunnion bolts.

There is only one place in the world to my knowledge selling the Scott bolts and I'm not telling.

You can however source them from other manufacturers because they are simply pivot bearing bolts.

I know more about these frames then the sellers if you have questions.
    Last edited by Kevin Van Deventer; 02-26-2018 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Cause phone is stupid.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Bone View Post
    I'm looking for XC, not an all mountain. Something with 120mm of rear travel and locks out good.

Check this Horst Link version out. https://www.ebay.com/itm/IMUST-29er-...IAAOSwjS9Zgtvw

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

xx1 11 speed drivetrain

I finally got the frame a few days ago. Yeah, took them about 5 weeks before they shipped it, which was frustrating as they told me they had it in stock right before I paid for it....

Anyway, all is good now. Looks very nice, lot of carbon around BB, not too many imperfections. Bare frame with all bolts, but no shock or rear axle, weighed in at 1.96kg - for a 17.5" "standard" (T700) frame with a gloss coat. Will take some photos when I am a bit more progressed with the build. I delayed ordering all the required components until the frame arrived, so have a bit of waiting still to do. Still am waiting on some spokes for the wheels. I ordered a manitou mcleod. Will probably be another 3 weeks before it is all together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I finally got the frame a few days ago. Yeah, took them about 5 weeks before they shipped it, which was frustrating as they told me they had it in stock right before I paid for it....
    I feel ya. I ordered a similar frame on January 31 and paid immediately. Then they went on 4 weeks of Chinese holiday, weren't able to get manufacturing up until two weeks ago, and now they finally painted it and are preparing to ship. I ordered a special-order extra light Toray 800 version though with different layup, so I don't blame them and I'm happy to wait, you just have to always plan for Chinese holidays, bc there's a lot of them.

Just keeping in touch with them and being positive really helps.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to post that I have an Ican P8 medium frame for sale. Thinking 400.00 plus actual shipping from bikeflights.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Just wanted to post that I have an Ican P8 medium frame for sale. Thinking 400.00 plus actual shipping from bikeflights.com

why are you selling yours? i've seen you put a 150mm fork and 29 inch wheels.

mtbr member
    why are you selling yours? i've seen you put a 150mm fork and 29 inch wheels.

I moved to a large size from the medium. Wanted a little more reach. Otherwise it wouldn't be for sale.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It seems that within all these Scott Spark clones there are significant differences! I saw a German and a French guy build a clone up. But it seems most of you opt for the FS27 (CS-FS27 27.5 Plus full suspension mtb bike frame BB92 - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd) which has a 66.9 degree head angle. Can anyone confirm this is with a 130mm fork?

I also think the FM258 is interesting (Shenzhen Hongfu Sports Equipment Co., Ltd.). It has a 69 degree HA (assuming 100mm fork), but using a calculator, I saw that a 130mm fork would bring this to 67.5 ish degrees. Spot-on if you ask me.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I moved to a large size from the medium. Wanted a little more reach. Otherwise it wouldn't be for sale.

Are you going with a P8 frame or something different?

mtbr member
    Are you going with a P8 frame or something different?
    I ended up getting a 2017 Intense Recluse SL for a little more than it would have cost me to get the P8 shipped to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

how tall are you?

mtbr member
    how tall are you?

5'11" but I'm tall in the torso.

mtbr member
    5'11" but I'm tall in the torso.

Yep, 5'11" is perfect for a large.

mtbr member
    And its gone!
    Last edited by R_Pierce; 03-22-2018 at 06:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    HongFu has a FM289 on their website. Picture only shows '2018 NEW'. Anyone that has an idea what the frame might be?
    I am thinking of getting the FM258, but this might be worth the wait...
    Link: Shenzhen Hongfu Sports Equipment Co., Ltd.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Are you looking for a hardtail or full suspension frame?

According to a thread on chinertown, the 289 will be a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Are you looking for a hardtail or full suspension frame?

According to a thread on chinertown, the 289 will be a hardtail.
    Thanks for the info. Looking for a FS!
    It seems, after reading around, that the FM258 replaces the FM058 with a better-placed rear brake (the 058 doesn't fit Magura well) and a different top tube.
    I see a number of people here own the 058. But does anyone own the 258?
    Last edited by olivierhacking; 04-03-2018 at 02:34 AM.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Hey gents,

Any more thoughts on the M06 flex-stay "Epic-Esque" frame? It seems like getting a shock will be easier than the Spark-esque model.

My worry about the flex-stays would be as a heavier rider, how long will they last?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

AKA Mr.Habanero
    I bought an FM06 (hasnt arrived yet) and im hoping it will be durable enough. Hopefully it will handle and be like a Kona Hei Hei or a Yeti asr c. Hoping and praying the flex stays will not snap right away, that would suck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by panzer103 View Post
    I bought an FM06 (hasnt arrived yet) and im hoping it will be durable enough. Hopefully it will handle and be like a Kona Hei Hei or a Yeti asr c. Hoping and praying the flex stays will not snap right away, that would suck.
    Do let us know what you find!
    I am holding off ordering the flex stay FM258 because they do not produce a 21" model yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The flex stays are fine.
    They only flex at the top of the travel.

How much they flex is determined by suspension not your weight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by olivierhacking View Post
    Do let us know what you find!
    I am holding off ordering the flex stay FM258 because they do not produce a 21" model yet.
    Apparently, Hongfu does have a 21" FM058 now, or so I was told. Its geometry is identical to the 258. It might be worth looking into.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks for the heads-up, I will check with them!
    What do people think about the risk of running a 130mm fork in the FM258 or 058? Could it put more strain on the headtube area of the frame, increasing chances of it snapping?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Anyway, all is good now. Looks very nice, lot of carbon around BB, not too many imperfections. Bare frame with all bolts, but no shock or rear axle, weighed in at 1.96kg - for a 17.5" "standard" (T700) frame with a gloss coat. Will take some photos when I am a bit more progressed with the build. I delayed ordering all the required components until the frame arrived, so have a bit of waiting still to do. Still am waiting on some spokes for the wheels. I ordered a manitou mcleod. Will probably be another 3 weeks before it is all together.
    How's your build looking? I ordered the SL version on January 31 from Pro-Mance and just got a picture from the agent today. Ready to send out! It took longer because of the Chinese new year holiday in February, paint decal order, and on-demand manufacturing. But it should be lighter. Can't wait! Good deal at $800 all said and done (frame, shipping, painting, fees).Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-photo.jpg.

Stupid is, as stupid does

Well it looks just like this. I didn't compare the rest of the numbers. Surprised no one mentioned it looked like this. https://www.cannondale.com/en/Intern...ntid=undefined
    Yeti SB95C
    Carver Ti 420
    Ibis HD3

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    How's your build looking? I ordered the SL version on January 31 from Pro-Mance and just got a picture from the agent today. Ready to send out! It took longer because of the Chinese new year holiday in February, paint decal order, and on-demand manufacturing. But it should be lighter. Can't wait! Good deal at $800 all said and done (frame, shipping, painting, fees).
    Coincidentally, I am finishing up the build today. I finally received the last of the parts (some spokes for the new wheels) 4 days ago, and have since been spending every spare moment putting it together.

I have moved bunch of parts over from the old bikes (fork/drivetrain/brakes etc). Despite a few heavy parts, it looks like it will be just under 10.3kg, ready to race (incl bottle cage, Garmin stuff etc). I have a few bits that I will replace (have a carbon railled saddle, will get a light seatpost clamp to replace the heavy cheap QR, might get a setback seatpost), and will swap the tubes out for sealant when I am happy with the wheels, but otherwise plan to race it as is.

If I had gotten the SL frame and replaced the fork with something more modern (have been looking at 51mm offset forks, which I think this frame is designed for), i probably could have built this up under 10kg.

I'm gonna put up a new thread detailing the build, documenting all the parts and their weights, on chinertown. Will add a link here when I do.

I see your frame has the newer rear end, with the brake mount on the seat stay. I thought that was for the 258, not the 058. Are you getting the 142mm rear end or boost?

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-dsc_1449.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by spunkmtb View Post
    Well it looks just like this. I didn't compare the rest of the numbers. Surprised no one mentioned it looked like this. https://www.cannondale.com/en/Intern...ntid=undefined
    They look nothing alike.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

That Workswell WCB-M-145 looks pretty sweet. I wonder how long before that mold pops up at Hong Fu.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    They look nothing alike.
    Lol, you are correct. i must have been smoking some good rock that day.
    Yeti SB95C
    Carver Ti 420
    Ibis HD3

mtbr member
    That Workswell WCB-M-145 looks pretty sweet. I wonder how long before that mold pops up at Hong Fu.
    I messaged them about that frame a few months ago. At the time they didn't have the mold ready. Maybe it's available by now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Anyone been on the FM-DH181 frame (from Tideace)? They told me it replaces the DH029 frame (the Spark lookalike with a 66* head angle). Feedback on this new frame is from the old frame so that it already has a good review.

If I go for it, I would be slapping a 130mm fork on there, bringing the HA to 68.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017...02190393.html?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Anyone been on the FM-DH181 frame (from Tideace)? They told me it replaces the DH029 frame (the Spark lookalike with a 66* head angle). Feedback on this new frame is from the old frame so that it already has a good review.

If I go for it, I would be slapping a 130mm fork on there, bringing the HA to 68.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017...02190393.html?
    That is a nice looking frame! I like the specs and design and all, but I will say the folks at Tideace can be a bit sleazy. I ordered 5 hardtail frames of 2 different models in December and January that were supposedly in stock (I asked), and only just recently got 3 of them. Communication was awful, excuses were questionable, and I will not be ordering via Aliexpress from them again.

If you want a steeper HA there are other options which are lighter as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    That is a nice looking frame! I like the specs and design and all, but I will say the folks at Tideace can be a bit sleazy. I ordered 5 hardtail frames of 2 different models in December and January that were supposedly in stock (I asked), and only just recently got 3 of them. Communication was awful, excuses were questionable, and I will not be ordering via Aliexpress from them again.

If you want a steeper HA there are other options which are lighter as well.
    That's a shame to hear. They have been very responsive to my messages and also speak English relatively well. I will ask to be sure about the 21" frame being in stock then. But now it feels a bit risky...

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    But now it feels a bit risky...
    It's not risky if you're ordering through Aliexpress since you can always get a refund, you may just never get the frame. My brother ordered their Toray 1000 29er hardtail before Christmas and when he didn't have it by April he just filed for a refund. He got the refund very quickly but never got the frame. Just make sure your insurance period (90 days from shipment or something like that) doesn't end before you take action.

My advice if you are going forward with this is to check if its in stock, get an estimated time for order processing, and hold them to it. They do care about their seller ratings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Anyone riding the Pro-mance M7007 frame? Thoughts? Want to run it as a 29er. Can't tell if the shock is metric or not. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by artsn View Post
    Anyone riding the Pro-mance M7007 frame? Thoughts? Want to run it as a 29er. Can't tell if the shock is metric or not. Any thoughts?
    The descriptions of M7007 and M9007 are very confusing on their website, but if I remember correctly, the agent at Pro-Mance told me M7007 is not compatible with 29" while M9007 is designed for 29" and that there was a real difference in the rear triangle design. A little bit head-scratching, but why not just play it safe and get the M9007? I believe they have boost and non-boost options available for both models. Ask about the details, and I'd only get what is in stock, otherwise you'll be waiting a while.

Live Free & Ride
    That might be "the one"
    Although I would be tempted or really prefer to run it with a 120mm fork and slacken it to just over 67 HA. Another question mark on all of these china frames is the rear tire clearance. I am only interested if I can easily fit a 2.4 - 2.5 higher volume tire in there. These 100mm bikes really need that high volume to take the sting out and make for a faster running rear to smooth things out. Nice looking though!
    17 Moto Ti cross
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    08 Bad Boy Ultra
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    That might be "the one"
    Although I would be tempted or really prefer to run it with a 120mm fork and slacken it to just over 67 HA. Another question mark on all of these china frames is the rear tire clearance. I am only interested if I can easily fit a 2.4 - 2.5 higher volume tire in there. These 100mm bikes really need that high volume to take the sting out and make for a faster running rear to smooth things out. Nice looking though!
    Well, if you take a look at the detail page (WCB-M-145-workswellbikes) they clearly indicate the frame is designed to accommodate at most a 29x2.3" tire in the rear. Based on experience, bottoming out on your suspension with a bigger tire than recommended in the rear can mean frame breakage and one complicated warranty claim.

I like the frame a lot, it's great to see the Chinese stepping up their game in terms of aesthetics and geometry. We'll be seeing a lot more of that!