Page 23 of 59 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 575 of 1472
  1. #551
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2

    bikebuilder

    have anyone seen the "FRM be active 29" mtb?

    look at FRM:s home page .
    it must be a fm036 frame.

    It´s awsome that they manage to build it to 9.35kg
    but ca 8000$ is much money

  2. #552
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    26
    Funny is , when i came to whoseller in my time to choose a carbon bike he told me that since all manufactury was removed to china all carbon frames went up with quality by 100%...Which is so sad... Not to mention the decrease the price...

  3. #553
    Underskilled
    Reputation: CaveGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,111
    Has anyone bought one of these frames in the UK?

    Am thinking of getting one for my wifey in s/m if anyone has one I'd love to give it a ride.
    Well she would, doubt it would fit my gigantinormous size.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

  4. #554
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    22

    You can look at other photos in "my gallery"
    Anyway, I'll describe components:
    frame 21" (with seatpost, saddle, stem, handlebar, shock, bottle cage) from flyxii
    fork RS SID RLT 2013
    wheels on pacenti CL25 rims with DT Swiss 240 hubs (QR) and aerolit spokes (F716g, R817g)
    brakes shimano xtr 985 (F180, R160)
    crank FSA k-force light 386 BB30 27/39 10speed
    cassete shimano XT CS-M771-10 11-36
    rear der. shim RD-M980 GS
    front der. shim. FD-M785-E 2/10
    chain shim. CN-M980GS
    shifters shim. SL-M780 2/3 10
    pedals Token TK462M

    tyre: for dry conditions Schwalbe Furious Fred Evo PaceStar Faltreifen 29x2.0 (installed tubeless)
    for wet Maxxis Beaver 29x2.0 aramid tpi60


    Total Weight: 10 370g ("dry" version)

    Criticism is appreciated
    Last edited by Ctarter; 10-27-2012 at 10:18 AM.

  5. #555
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctarter View Post

    You can look at other photos in "my gallery"
    Anyway, I'll describe components:
    frame 21" (with seatpost, saddle, stem, handlebar, shock, bottle cage) from flyxii
    fork RS SID RLT 2013
    wheels on pacenti CL25 rims with DT Swiss 240 hubs (QR) and aerolit spokes (F716g, R817g)
    brakes shimano xtr 985 (F180, R160)
    crank FSA k-force light 386 BB30 27/39 10speed
    cassete shimano XT CS-M771-10 11-36
    rear der. shim RD-M980 GS
    front der. shim. FD-M785-E 2/10
    chain shim. CN-M980GS
    shifters shim. SL-M780 2/3 10
    pedals Token TK462M

    tyre: for dry conditions Schwalbe Furious Fred Evo PaceStar Faltreifen 29x2.0 (installed tubeless)
    for wet Maxxis Beaver 29x2.0 aramid tpi60


    Total Weight: 10 370g ("dry" version)

    Criticism is appreciated
    Very nice built! Which damper did you choose? And shouldn't it be mounted the other way round? Looking forward for your first ride reports ....

  6. #556
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctarter View Post

    You can look at other photos in "my gallery"
    Anyway, I'll describe components:
    frame 21" (with seatpost, saddle, stem, handlebar, shock, bottle cage) from flyxii
    fork RS SID RLT 2013
    wheels on pacenti CL25 rims with DT Swiss 240 hubs (QR) and aerolit spokes (F716g, R817g)
    brakes shimano xtr 985 (F180, R160)
    crank FSA k-force light 386 BB30 27/39 10speed
    cassete shimano XT CS-M771-10 11-36
    rear der. shim RD-M980 GS
    front der. shim. FD-M785-E 2/10
    chain shim. CN-M980GS
    shifters shim. SL-M780 2/3 10
    pedals Token TK462M

    tyre: for dry conditions Schwalbe Furious Fred Evo PaceStar Faltreifen 29x2.0 (installed tubeless)
    for wet Maxxis Beaver 29x2.0 aramid tpi60


    Total Weight: 10 370g ("dry" version)

    Criticism is appreciated
    Really nice build.

    Additionally to the rear shock question asked by towag, what's the length of your seatpost? I'm contemplating that 350mm should plenty enough there, actually I already have it ordered. (I'm going with the 19" frame.)

    What's your stem / seatpost / handlebar?

    Looks like you went with the chinese carbon seat - I already have a similar one at home, but haven't tried it out yet (no bike lol) - I'm worried it won't be too comfortable - did you do any longer rides on it?

    I'm also going with DT Swiss 240s (Center Lock), 15 front and 10 rear, but I'm getting carbon rims from China.

    What tubeless kit have you used? Any homemade additions to the mixture?

  7. #557
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintJV View Post
    Funny is , when i came to whoseller in my time to choose a carbon bike he told me that since all manufactury was removed to china all carbon frames went up with quality by 100%...Which is so sad... Not to mention the decrease the price...
    You know, I really did not know what you were talking about, but then I found this blog: Busted Carbon

    None of that is chinese carbon! But I think the real issue why carbon is so expensive here on west (europe and US), is that it requires the user to not be a total noob, and e.g. use a torque wrench and generally be more careful with the bike than with a steel or aluminum frame, otherwise breakages result, and obviously manufacturers don't like it — even if you decline warranty on lawful terms, you get a dissatisfied customer. I think that's the reason why carbon is destined to high-end bikes and savvy build-it-myself users.

    Now carbon-kevlar mixture might be the next big thing - it's lighter and stiffer than carbon, and (I assume) much harder to destroy, although definitely not noob-proof.

  8. #558
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    22
    Thank you, towag
    Quote Originally Posted by towag View Post
    ...Which damper did you choose? And shouldn't it be mounted the other way round?
    Kindshock 582RL, it comes with frame ( I asked flyxii any shock to escape problem with fastener). Heavy, no rebound, but two air cameras. I'm going to replace it with RS Monarch RT3.
    Does not matter how to mount it, there is no remote; current position is convinient for me to reach adjustment lever from saddle, less mud comes from rear wheel.
    Last edited by Ctarter; 10-28-2012 at 02:49 AM.

  9. #559
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by ypocat View Post
    ...what's the length of your seatpost?
    What's your stem / seatpost / handlebar?

    Looks like you went with the chinese carbon seat - I already have a similar one at home, but haven't tried it out yet (no bike lol) - I'm worried it won't be too comfortable - did you do any longer rides on it?

    I'm also going with DT Swiss 240s (Center Lock), 15 front and 10 rear, but I'm getting carbon rims from China.

    What tubeless kit have you used? Any homemade additions to the mixture?
    Thanks!
    all sticks from flyxii: seatpost 350 (sp-006), just enough for me
    stem 90 (st-004), two handlebars: flat 600mm (hb-021) and riser 660mm, saddle (sd-003). Saddle is comfartable (proved by 48m trip), shape the same as mine old "san marco" on other bike.
    "No tubes" yellow tape, nippels and sealant.

    I have looked at chinese carbon rims, but decided pacenti would be lighter. If you'll test carbon rims and will give positive feedback then my seond wheelset could be carbon.
    Last edited by Ctarter; 10-28-2012 at 02:48 AM.

  10. #560
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11
    About to send off bushing measurements to Fox for shock order. I measured 21.7 mm front and 22.5 mm rear. Is that sounding about right? Ordered from Flyxii, and found it interesting that rear bolt doesn't completely clear as it should. Should work fine anyway, but not a perfect fit.

    Also, anyone else have the rear derailleur provided not fit as it should on the frame? Not that big of a deal. A grinder should be able to remedy the problem, as it isn't that much off, but just curious.

  11. #561
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by brianlancast View Post
    About to send off bushing measurements to Fox for shock order. I measured 21.7 mm front and 22.5 mm rear. Is that sounding about right? Ordered from Flyxii, and found it interesting that rear bolt doesn't completely clear as it should. Should work fine anyway, but not a perfect fit.

    Also, anyone else have the rear derailleur provided not fit as it should on the frame? Not that big of a deal. A grinder should be able to remedy the problem, as it isn't that much off, but just curious.
    I don't have a vernier caliper yet but measuring it with tape shows approx. 23mm for both, and the geometry pic states 22.4mm, so in any case I'm getting the 22,20mm 8mm bushings for my CTD shock.

    I've got the frame from Baixiang bike, they call it FRX-F09, so it may be slightly different from yours, not sure.

    Also no need to write to Fox, you can buy these in shops, e.g. Bike24 - Fox Racing Shox Hardware Kit (Bushings) 8mm.

    Edit: also, my frame came with the shock bolts already, and they also don't fit exactly (the "female" parts are a few mms shorter).

  12. #562
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant View Post
    Has anyone bought one of these frames in the UK?

    Am thinking of getting one for my wifey in s/m if anyone has one I'd love to give it a ride.
    Well she would, doubt it would fit my gigantinormous size.
    Yes matey, here's my build. been a few upgrades since the last update but been busy.
    BikeRadar.com • View topic - Cally's dead, long live Beyonce!

  13. #563
    em2
    em2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: em2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    12
    riding review anyone ?

  14. #564
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by em2 View Post
    riding review anyone ?
    Done some xc races on the bike now, and about 900km over the last 3 months on it.

    Would suit taller riders better I think (say 5"10 up).

    Climbs fantastic, very stiff and only a tiny bit of bob, even when fully open on the shock.

    Frame is stiff and direct for downhill, steering is precise (especially with carbon wheels). When set up right it's very quick through the twisting stiff, and awesome over loose rocks and rough sections.

    Only time there is a compromise is in slower, extremely tight corners (like around a single tree), when the longer wheelbase can be felt.

    Hope that helps

  15. #565
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo83 View Post
    Done some xc races on the bike now, and about 900km over the last 3 months on it.

    Would suit taller riders better I think (say 5"10 up).

    Climbs fantastic, very stiff and only a tiny bit of bob, even when fully open on the shock.

    Frame is stiff and direct for downhill, steering is precise (especially with carbon wheels). When set up right it's very quick through the twisting stiff, and awesome over loose rocks and rough sections.

    Only time there is a compromise is in slower, extremely tight corners (like around a single tree), when the longer wheelbase can be felt.

    Hope that helps
    I would agree with this.
    Only additional i would say is, i feel like you sit on it rather than in it.

  16. #566
    em2
    em2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: em2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo83 View Post
    Done some xc races on the bike now, and about 900km over the last 3 months on it.

    Would suit taller riders better I think (say 5"10 up).

    Climbs fantastic, very stiff and only a tiny bit of bob, even when fully open on the shock.

    Frame is stiff and direct for downhill, steering is precise (especially with carbon wheels). When set up right it's very quick through the twisting stiff, and awesome over loose rocks and rough sections.

    Only time there is a compromise is in slower, extremely tight corners (like around a single tree), when the longer wheelbase can be felt.

    Hope that helps
    thanks

  17. #567
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by vwsurfbum View Post
    I would agree with this.
    Only additional i would say is, i feel like you sit on it rather than in it.
    Hmm, I've always felt the opposite , coming from the old 26er Anthem I had. You have a medium frame right? Could be a sizing issue if you don't feel "in" the bike

  18. #568
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    158
    Could be, i think my 17.5" might be a little small?

    Anyway, just found this Scott Nude shock at a really good price
    NEW SCOTT NUDE TC / DT SWISS REAR SHOCK ( TWINLOC REMOTE , 165MM x 37MM ) | eBay

  19. #569
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    167
    Found this ID on the inside of the frame. Still no clue who really makes it. Does that ID tell any of you anything?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon  29er-frame-id.jpg  


  20. #570
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    158
    Flyxii

  21. #571
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by vwsurfbum View Post
    Flyxii
    An “open mold frame” is a mold which the factory owns. They can sell that frame to anyone they choose. The brands who buy these open mold frames don’t own or control the design, engineering, or material selection for the products they’re marketing.
    From: Are All Carbon Bikes Created Equal? | Cycling Tips

    I think this is one such frame. The factory probably slaps an ID on it depending on who they make it for.

    Nice pictorial from one such factory:
    Gallery: Swift Carbon: Inside A High-end Chinese Bike Factory - BikeRadar

    On a separate note, my build is coming on great. Should be done in a week or two, provided XX1 is not delayed further. I had some problems with the rear suspension pivots, but these were resolved with some filing and extra washers. Btw the pivots are otherwise really good quality, contain japanese sealed bearings.

  22. #572
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctarter View Post
    You can look at other photos in "my gallery"
    Anyway, I'll describe components:
    frame 21" (with seatpost, saddle, stem, handlebar, shock, bottle cage) from flyxii
    fork RS SID RLT 2013
    wheels on pacenti CL25 rims with DT Swiss 240 hubs (QR) and aerolit spokes (F716g, R817g)
    brakes shimano xtr 985 (F180, R160)
    crank FSA k-force light 386 BB30 27/39 10speed
    cassete shimano XT CS-M771-10 11-36
    rear der. shim RD-M980 GS
    front der. shim. FD-M785-E 2/10
    chain shim. CN-M980GS
    shifters shim. SL-M780 2/3 10
    pedals Token TK462M

    tyre: for dry conditions Schwalbe Furious Fred Evo PaceStar Faltreifen 29x2.0 (installed tubeless)
    for wet Maxxis Beaver 29x2.0 aramid tpi60


    Total Weight: 10 370g ("dry" version)

    Criticism is appreciated
    Love the build.

    I was wondering how it handled under power? Does the rear suspension stay firm when peddling or under load but absorb impacts as it should?

    How about money invested? Did you save any money putting it together yourself over buying an equally well equipped assembled bike?

  23. #573
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post
    I was wondering how it handled under power? Does the rear suspension stay firm when peddling or under load but absorb impacts as it should?
    I don't even expected such a nice suspension work from a single pivot system. My weight ( 95kg) and negative chamber of shock allow to provide plush at small roughness, but air pressure in positive chamber and low bike weight gives reliable suspension play at large irregularity (stones, drops). Can't fill torsion impact. Big wheels with full suspension provide smooth downstairs ride

    Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post
    How about money invested? Did you save any money putting it together yourself over buying an equally well equipped assembled bike?
    I hope it cheaper, can't compare because don't know direct competitors with such a light 29 wheels (wieght of wheels is very noticable with 29" size, in my case wheels cost a bit more expensive than frame). Firstly, it a fun to build own bike.
    Last edited by Ctarter; 12-02-2012 at 10:42 AM.

  24. #574
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    64
    Tried lowering the air pressure some more on mine on the weekend. It's getting really dry, dusty and loose here in Aus and I've been a bit nervous on the Flyxii, it gets a bit skittish in loose marble stuff.

    Anyway lowered the front to 25psi and rear to 28, totally transformed the bike. Way more grip now, less snappy sliding that's hard to predict

  25. #575

Page 23 of 59 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Chinese Carbon 29er
    By crashplayer19 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 8255
    Last Post: 1 Day Ago, 12:35 AM
  2. Chinese carbon 29er frames?
    By Scott O in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 07-26-2011, 12:05 PM
  3. Chinese Carbon 29er from 2011 Hardrock
    By Pininfarina599 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2011, 08:21 PM
  4. Saw a chinese carbon 29er yesterday, nice...
    By madsedan in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 05:53 AM
  5. Chinese Carbon 29er - buy it or not?
    By mountaincycle in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-21-2011, 05:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •