Thread: DT Swiss TK 7.1

locked - time out
    Sep 2004

DT Swiss TK 7.1

I am building a set of wheels with this rim to a set of Phil wood hubs (non disc flip flop). The spoke holes do not seem to be offset. Is this correct (if so it will make wheel building easier). Thanks for any info.

mtbr member

Correct.

The spoke holes are not off-set. There are more rims on the market that are not off-set than those that are.

Harmonius Wrench

Another question about the question!

Quote Originally Posted by Romirider
    .................. The spoke holes do not seem to be offset. Is this correct (if so it will make wheel building easier). Thanks for any info.
    I'm not sure I understand how having the spoke holes not offset makes the wheel build easier. Could you explain that?

I've built several wheels with both off set and non-offset rim spoke holes and I can't say one is harder than the other.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you in that you are saying the spoke holes are not offset from the centerline of the rim, in an effort to reduce wheel dish. I took it to mean that the holes are all in a line on the centerline of the rim and not staggered as some spoke holes are.

Either way, it's still no more or less difficult, in my mind, to build a wheel.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    I'm not sure I understand how having the spoke holes not offset makes the wheel build easier. Could you explain that?

I've built several wheels with both off set and non-offset rim spoke holes and I can't say one is harder than the other.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you in that you are saying the spoke holes are not offset from the centerline of the rim, in an effort to reduce wheel dish. I took it to mean that the holes are all in a line on the centerline of the rim and not staggered as some spoke holes are.

Either way, it's still no more or less difficult, in my mind, to build a wheel.
    Easier because you can start with any spoke in any hole when lacing
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

locked - time out
    Sep 2004

Thanks!!!!

Thanks for the info. Just wanted to make sure. I am new to this wheelbuilding stuff so I am being careful as I go. I have much info (sheldon brown, park, ect) to help me. I am trying to get over the "black art" of wheel building. Wish me luck.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Easier because you can start with any spoke in any hole when lacing
    Theoretically, you can do that with any rim. As long as you get the pattern correct.That's the main thing.