mtbr member
    Sep 2009

DT SWISS M 520 rim with DT Swiss 240 hub

Guys pls help me!

Looking for a proper wheelset for my pretty aggressive XC rideing style and for my 220 lbs weigh. I have a HT now. ( Now I have a Deore LX + Mavic A 317 set which I feel too flexible )

A planned a ZTR Flow with 36 spokes and XT hub combo ( maybe overkill) but know I could buy a brand new set from DT Swiss with M520 rim and 240 hub ( is it stiff enogh ?).

Has anybody any rewievs about this rim ? What you think which set would be the best for me?

mtbr member
    Read the thread below on the XT hubs. Lacing your choice of hub to 36 hole Flow is a good choice.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have flows (32 hole) with hope hubs and 520's on formula hubs. I weigh about the same and find both stiff enough. Flows were self built and haven't needed to be touched in a year. Ride my hard tail clumsily through plenty of rocks and roots but seldom more than 2 foot drop. I don't feel the need for 36 spokes. Hope hubs are great, would stay away from formula.

usually cranky
    520s are nice rims. kinda narrow for their weight though.

mtbr member
    Having busted the freehub on a XT twice (I weight 180 right now, may have been a little bit more spry the first time I broke it), I'd recommend the DT combo. Agree that the rims are on the narrow side for their weight, but they're stiff and decently beefy IME. Plus, the weight increase over flows at least partially comes from having eyelets, which at least makes me feel better (though I've not had a problem with any Stans rims cracking thus far).