Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

DT Swiss 240s Hubs?????

4K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  Jeromelo 
#1 ·
I have a set of Kings so I know how nice they are.
I have a set of Hope ProII and Im not real impressed so far, but they are nice, just won't buy another pair.
So I am getting ready to build a new set of wheels and was thinking about using the DT Swiss 240s. How do people like them? How do they hold up over the long haul?
What is the differance between the 240s and the 340s?
And last was planning on using this wheel set on a Astrix Monk build I am working on, can you use the DT-Swiss 240s IS-disc R 10mm thru-bolt hub, 135x32h on normal drop outs?
Thanks to all that reply. :thumbsup:

#2 ·
Can't really answer the last question about the 10mm thru-bolt but I can tell you I've been extremely happy with mine. Seem to do the job. Lightweight, fast, I hear about people not liking the engagement but other than that I've never heard complaints about these.

#3 ·
cb4photo said:
I have a set of Hope ProII and Im not real impressed so far, but they are nice, just won't buy another pair.
So I am getting ready to build a new set of wheels and was thinking about using the DT Swiss 240s. How do people like them? How do they hold up over the long haul?
And last was planning on using this wheel set on a Astrix Monk build I am working on, can you use the DT-Swiss 240s IS-disc R 10mm thru-bolt hub, 135x32h on normal drop outs?
I've been on DT Swiss hubs for several years. I've got a couple seasons on some 340's, and I just bought a wheelset built around some 240s hubs. The main difference between the 240s and 340 is the hub shell. The 340 is a bit heavier, larger diameter flanges mainly. It might have larger bearings also, but I can't say that for sure without looking at both hubs.

Both my 340 and the 240s are 10mm TA hubs in normal dropouts. That's what they're made for.

#4 ·
I have had three sets of wheels with 240s. Riding purely XC and no problems to report at all. I did switch to Hadleys on the latest set and the engagment is impressive, but the weight (or lack thereof) of the 240s is impressive in its own right. I would not hesitate to purchase another set if that says anything.

#6 ·
Monte said:
Both my 340 and the 240s are 10mm TA hubs in normal dropouts. That's what they're made for.
I was hoping that was the case, I have herd some people talk about flex in the rear end on the Astrix Monk and was hoping that the bolt on rear hub would help to stiffen thing up in the rear. But I would hate to order them and not work. That would be just my luck.

#7 ·
I have a set of singlespeed 240's and standard 340's. 3 years on the 240 wheelset and they've been great. Only one year on the 340's but I bought them 2nd hand and they've been excellent as well. The only difference I can tell between the two is the 240's are a good bit lighter. I recently switched to I9's on my singlespeed and the engagement is impressive but I rarely notice it on the trail. I've never been on either of the DT wheelsets and thought to myself, "Gee, I wish these had quicker engagement." The DT hubs are a bit pricey but worth the investment in my opinion.:thumbsup:

#8 ·
cb4photo said:
I was hoping that was the case, I have herd some people talk about flex in the rear end on the Astrix Monk and was hoping that the bolt on rear hub would help to stiffen thing up in the rear. But I would hate to order them and not work. That would be just my luck.
If you get the TA make sure to take the "nut" off the end of the axle and grease the threads. The RWS axle (came with my 240s) is aluminum, you'd munch it pretty quick without grease. My 340 came with a steel TA, still grease it, but it's a little more tolerant of lublessness.

#10 ·
Monte said:
I've been on DT Swiss hubs for several years. I've got a couple seasons on some 340's, and I just bought a wheelset built around some 240s hubs. The main difference between the 240s and 340 is the hub shell. The 340 is a bit heavier, larger diameter flanges mainly. It might have larger bearings also, but I can't say that for sure without looking at both hubs.

i think you're confusing the issue. they are made as q/r hubs with, as far as i know, options as a 10mm through bolt.

to OP: so yes, you should be able to buy a 10mm thru-bolt hub.

i have these hubs on my road bike. they seem great as well. i would buy them again.

good luck

mx

#12 ·
mx_599 said:
i think you're confusing the issue. they are made as q/r hubs with, as far as i know, options as a 10mm through bolt.

to OP: so yes, you should be able to buy a 10mm thru-bolt hub.

i have these hubs on my road bike. they seem great as well. i would buy them again.

good luck

mx
So this is different form a thru axle, it is a bolt that goes into the hub? Or is there an axle the bolt is going into. And would the steel in the 340 be better than aluminum in the 240s?
Once again thanks for all the posts. :thumbsup:

#13 ·
cb4photo said:
So this is different form a thru axle, it is a bolt that goes into the hub? Or is there an axle the bolt is going into. And would the steel in the 340 be better than aluminum in the 240s?
Once again thanks for all the posts. :thumbsup:
maybe i am confusing it for you.

it is more or less an "axle" that goes through. then there are some that have a bolt on each side....but we are not talking about that kind here.

i guess it is not really an "option"...but one of the versions they sell. just they way monte worded it i thought was a little off. i would say it is more a q/r hub...but they offer these other versions as well.

mx

#14 ·
240s

I really like the 240 hubs. I have or had King, Hope Bulb, I9, and I probably like the 240 best overall. They do not have the engagement of a King or I9, period. That said, I don't miss it that much, and I welcome the the lack of noise. The 240s can be run QR, or RWS thru bolt, by changing end caps. The front can be 20mm if you get the oversize model, and you can limit it down to QR or 9mm bolt too. 340s are nice as well, with a little extra weight, and they do not seem convertible (but you can get them in multiple versions). Did I mention that they are quiet?

#15 ·
cb4photo said:
I can at least answer the longevity question.

I have been riding a pair of DT Swiss/Hügi 240 disc hubs since 2002 which qualifies as long haul. I've also got ISO King disc hubs, American Classic hubs, Shimano and Mavic hubs.

The 240's have only needed one bearing set replaced in 7 years and one time after a very wet and muddy race, the rear clogged with mud which gave me troubles with the freehub which cleaning out took care of (normal maintenance - in other words).

Of those hubs that I have used, if I was going to buy one and only one high end set of hubs - the DT Swiss 240's win hands down for my application (XC riding).

BB

#16 ·
cb4photo said:
So this is different form a thru axle, it is a bolt that goes into the hub? Or is there an axle the bolt is going into.
Technically it would be a thru-bolt, I think, because you have a threaded nut on at least one end. It's not clamped by the frame like a thru-axle fork. The thru-bolt slides thru the center of the hub and the dropouts rest on the ends. Clamp the frame with the nut and go.

And would the steel in the 340 be better than aluminum in the 240s?
Only if you're really hard on parts, i.e. over torque stuff. Maybe if you do a lot of big jumps I suppose it would be a problem.

My 340 is a couple years old, it came with a steel thru-bolt. Now it looks like they come with the same aluminum RWS thru-bolt as do the 240s hubs.

#19 ·
uno-speedo said:
Unless you want to replace the bearings. Then (if I'm correct) you need special tools from DT.
A quick trip to the LBS is all she takes. Bring a beer or two for the crew and chat while they do the work. Saves on purchasing DT Swiss tools, allows for some socializing at the LBS, gives a little service money to the shop and gets the job done.:thumbsup:

BB

#20 ·
yes, beer for the LBS!

seriously

By the way, I'm 250+ with gear and have been riding a set of 240s singlespeed on my rigid for a couple of weeks. They are very solid, high quality hubs and I would definitely use them again.

#21 ·
Sold the

cb4photo said:
CKs and bought 240s. Just couldnt take the CK freewheel drag anymore. No problems with the 240s in 2 years. Running the RWS up front and its really nice. Never considered the 10mm rear. My feeling is that using a 10mm solid rear will be antedotle at best.

#23 ·
tscheezy said:
What's wrong with Hopes?

No, wait, let me guess...
That's not a fair criticism at all - we can see in those pics from the outside of the hub shell that those wheels have been neglected, so why should you expect the inside to look any different. If you're going to put a hub through so much crap, expect to open it up and clean it before it gets to that point.

#24 ·
Personally I'd get the Kings. The 240s are great, and are very light, but the difference in engagement speed makes it a no brainer to me (obviously that's subjective as you can tell by some comments above). There used to be a significant price difference but a couple price increases over the last year have brought 240's up to the same price as King, makes the choice even easier IMO. Can't go wrong either way though, if you're counting grams, like a quieter hub, or want something with a bit less seal drag, then the 240s are a great choice.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
larry@mtnhighcyclery.com

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.