Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

DT Hub Engagement

930 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  pinepig 
#1 ·
DT hub owners (240/440): does the freehub (can't remember DT's equivalent term) have 18 or 36 points of engagement? I understand that an individual start ratchet has 18 points, but I think there are 2 star ratchets per hub, and possibly they are offset?

I'm assuming all of DT's hub models are the same in this regard.

#2 ·
360* / 15* of engagement gets you 24 pts of contact. The 240 and 440 are similar, not sure about the often OE-spec 340 and Onyx hubs.

I like my silent 440s on my FS gearie but find the engagement wanting for SSing - I'll take CK, Hadley or I9 for SSing.

#3 ·
pinepig said:
DT hub owners (240/440): does the freehub (can't remember DT's equivalent term) have 18 or 36 points of engagement? I understand that an individual start ratchet has 18 points, but I think there are 2 star ratchets per hub, and possibly they are offset?

I'm assuming all of DT's hub models are the same in this regard.
If it's 18 points on each star ratchet, that's all you get for points of engagement. I have a 340 rear hub, but don't remember exactly how many clicks per revolution there are. It's not the quickest engagement, but it works for me.

Monte

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses. So far we've got 24, 18, and (from another thread) 36 points of engagement. If someone would like to end the confusion by counting the clicks on their DT hub that would be marvelous!

I'm trying to decide between the 240S with center lock, or the 2007 XTR hubs (36 pt.). If the DT's are 36 pt. then that would be my preference; if they're 18 then I'll probably go with Shimano.

#5 ·
18 points -all

All the ratchet drive hubs, which include: the 240s, 340, 440 (as well as the old Hugi era) all have 18 points of engagment. Two 18 tooth rachets, engaging together.

The Onyx and the OEM Cerit also have 18 points of engagment, but these are not a ratchet drive. Instead they use a typical pawl system.

Hope that clarifies.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.