mtbr member
    Jul 2014

New question here. Drop out hanger question

Just bought a new Fantom X7 from BikesDirect, started the assembly process and realized that I was in way over my head. Brought it to a local bike shop - only to be told that the "drop-out hanger" is cracked and unusable.

Question: should I return the entire frame? Should I just return the entire bike and chalk it up to a flawed product?

I've been told that this is a very bad sign of a fragile and shoddy product - is that just the local bike shop blowing smoke & trying to get me to buy something off their showroom floor, rather than ordering something over the internet? Is this a common thing to have happen to bikes when you buy them online and they get shipped by the monkeys at UPS jumping up and down on the crates?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The shop has seen 1 bike...they don't know anything more. Contact BD and they will resolve this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The shop has seen 1 bike...they don't know anything more. Contact BD and they will resolve this.
    Unfortuntaly, BD is not answering the phone, nor their email.

Starting to get a bad feeling about this... feeling a little sick to my stomach.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Just get a new drop out hanger done deal...
    But give them time to respond to your e mail.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by PauLCa916 View Post
    Just get a new drop out hanger done deal...
    But give them time to respond to your e mail.
    Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate this. It's amazing to me how contemptuous all the guys in the bike shops are - it took me a while even to find a shop that would deal with something from BikesDirect. The last one just laughed at me and told me that it served me right for ordering some "cheap piece of s*** off the internet," and hung up.

Is it normal for a brand-new bike to need almost $500 in repairs to make it work right? I admit that I am not a total expert in all things related to bikes, but I guess I was just unprepared for the amount of venom directed at people who are just trying to figure things out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Who told you $500 for a repair? If what you are talking about is the hanger for the rear derailleur then there is no way in hell that is $500. Some might cost $50, but usually less than that.

In any event, this is on Bikesdirect. They should ship you a new frame and pay all of your return shipping charges if it is the drop-out that is bent, or they should mail you a rear hanger. All of that assumes that is what the problem actually is.

Be patient and talk to Bikesdirect and ask them to walk you through the assembly process that is a problem for you. You post in their forum to get their attention quicker, if they have a forum on MTBR.

If an LBS doesn't want to make money on service then screw them, shop elsewhere and learn to work on your bikes yourself. Service is an opportunity to establish a relationship with a new customer for down the road--not for telling them to go f themselves.

I had an LBS in my area tell me last year "We don't sell that brand so we don't work on them." It is a 9 year old used bike that I bough in another city. I said, "Next time I want to buy a new bike, it won't be from you."

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    When you call a shop you will get a salesperson. If you want help with your bike bring it in the back door to the service guys. They do the work and don't care what you have. If they can fix it they will work on it. A new bike shouldn't need any additional money outlay to work. They all need cable adjustments after a few hours of riding. They often need spoke tensioning after a couple rides.
    I'd wipe the outside of the chain before the first ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I can't tell from your posts if it's the dropout that is broken (new frame) or the derailleur hanger ($20 part that BD will send you for free). Either way BD will take care of you. I've ordered several bikes from them and they've been quick to resolve any issues. E-mail them some pictures of the damage and wait for their response.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    If an LBS doesn't want to make money on service then screw them, shop elsewhere and learn to work on your bikes yourself. Service is an opportunity to establish a relationship with a new customer for down the road--not for telling them to go f themselves.
    Ah, if only that were the case. I can understand that they want to stay in business and need to make money, but the really hostile attitudes I keep encountering are a real turn-off. If you're not spending $5,000 on a top-of-the-line bike with all the accessories, it seems that they figure you're scum and not worth their time or attention.

Anyway - thanks for the great advice and support. It means a lot, especially when I find myself stuck in this place where I keep getting conflicting pieces of information and shamefully don't know enough yet to be able to judge for myself who's right and who has an agenda.

Last stupid question, I promise: how much do you usually get charged for storage fees for your bike while the shop is waiting for the part to arrive? Is $50 a day out of line?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    A $50 / day storage fee sounds like a good idea to me. I imagine that most people (myself included) would rather than take the bike home and bring it back when the part arrives rather than pay the fee.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LA_yeti View Post
    Last stupid question, I promise: how much do you usually get charged for storage fees for your bike while the shop is waiting for the part to arrive? Is $50 a day out of line?
    Seriously? A storage fee, where is this shop, who are they?

I see some shops charging a storage fee after they have notified you that the work is done and you need to pick it up, maybe a week or two is given before the fee applies. But I have never seen it applied while they have your bike before work is performed.

At least one shop in my area can be so busy that it will take 3-4 weeks before you get your bike back, but they will also offer a scheduled day, 3-4 weeks from now for you to bring it in to the shop if you don't want to leave it at the shop that long.

So I guess my response is $0 is appropriate prior to work being done. If they charge a storage fee then ask if they also will do a scheduled work date so you can bring it in on that specific day for the work. Personally, I would find another shop.

mtbr member
    $50 a day while you are waiting for a part is bullsh*t. Tell the shop to f*ck off and find a new one. They are trying to screw you every way they can.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    $50 a day while you are waiting for a part is bullsh*t. Tell the shop to f*ck off and find a new one. They are trying to screw you every way they can.
    you said it way better than me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    you said it way better than me.
    Unfortunately, they won't give me my bike back until I pay the fees. I've protested that no actual work has been done yet (they haven't even put the wheels, shifters or brakes on yet, although they say that's because the drop-out is cracked), but they say that they've spent time and effort telling me what was wrong with my bike, so I owe them.

I guess I'll just bite the bullet and pay. It'll be worth it to actually get my bike put together so I can ride it, although by that time, the storage fees are going to be almost as much as what I paid for the bike.

Thanks for all you help and advice. You guys are sure a lot nicer than the people at the shops.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You should post who these mother****ers are once you get your bike back. They don't own your bike, it is your property. They can't essentially steal your property over a ******** service fee.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I would also write to better business bureay, copy the AG in the state that you live, and send a letter to Bicycle Retailer and Industry News, aka, whores for ******* LBS and ask them what they think about this kind of practice.

I am really pissed that they are doing this to you. Just another reason why I rarely go the LBS anymore.You are really getting jammed by these mother****ers.

mtbr member
    I am generally not in favor of publicly trashing a bike shop, but it sounds like these assh0les deserve it. They are giving you crap service, and they are screwing you out of money because you purchased a bike on line. Shops like this are the ones who don't last long. Had they been decent to you, you most likely would have gone back to them for upgrades, repairs, or even a new bike in a few years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LA_yeti View Post
    Unfortunately, they won't give me my bike back until I pay the fees
    Did you agree to the storage fee before leaving the bike? Did you sign anything?

Crash Dummy In Training
    I am generally not in favor of publicly trashing a bike shop, but it sounds like these assh0les deserve it. They are giving you crap service, and they are screwing you out of money because you purchased a bike on line. Shops like this are the ones who don't last long. Had they been decent to you, you most likely would have gone back to them for upgrades, repairs, or even a new bike in a few years.
    I totally agree I've never heard of a shop charging a storage fee well waiting for parts.
    Did they tell you this up front ? Do you have a copy of the invoice if you do read it and if the storage fee ain't noted on it they are screwed.
    Man I hope you get this resolved.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    We had a local LBS that was around for 20 years, they sold a few brands of bikes, but their claim to fame was that they worked on anything. I took my 15 year old Trek 4300 to them in pretty sad shape, stored outside, ignored etc. They tuned it, threw on a new chain and when I got it back $150 later, it shifted smoother and was quieter than it had been since new. Unfortunately, they recently closed, the would have loved the BD setup, and probably did a fair amount of that type of work. They were good mechanics and would work with you on builds too, and advice was free..... Miss those boys

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Couldn't agree more. Find another shop that will treat you right OP.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Finally got my bike back - thanks for all the support here. I managed to get the bill down to where I could swallow it, and have taken the rig for a ride. After all the problems getting this bike, it seems kinda strange to me that I actually get to ride it around. Now all I've got to do is figure out how to get some wider handlebars on it - feels a little twitchy and hard to control (I guess I'm what you call a "Clyde" rider, since I'm 6'7").